Lifting straps

Are they cheating? Should I not use them and if my grip fails, just keep training my grip until I can increase my deadlift weight?

I finally pulled 3 plates x 3 today and felt great, but did it with aid of a belt and straps. Normally I've done neither. 5'9'' and 166 lbs

Unless you're training for the lift, injuries aside, there's no reason one weak part should hold your training back.

Just don't use them until you can't hold it, and make sure you're doing something about your grip elsewhere.

3plate seems early to use both belt and straps. Did you stall on DL since you started using both?

Nah not really. Just make sure to do strapless lifts at lower weights.

I don't view belts as cheating at all honestly.

No, haven't stalled yet, but I've just been mindful to avoid injuries. That and these callouses are really hindering my grip ability at the moment.

I went strapless for all my warm up sets (4) and strapped for my working set. Just wanted to know a general opinion.

If you refuse to do grip work, only use the straps on your last/heaviest set of the day. Grip strength is important in bench and ohp, but is also the foundation for muh functional strength

Also, today was the first time I tried using them

If your form is good, there should be no risk of injuries, belt or not.

How are you grabbing the bar? Calluses interfering with your lifts makes it sound like you're grabbing it wrong.

for my warm up sets I'm grabbing it like I normally would. Nearing my working set, I switch to a mixed grip. Bar goes right across my hand where the pads closes to the base of my fingers go. That's where my callouses are. 2 of them started as blisters from rowing, and one of them bled a while back and now that one is trying to shed the scab.

Just so I'm sure I'm understanding you right, are you placing the bar on the pads or just above them?

Basically it looks like this. The circles in blue are where my callouses are, the line in red is where I place the bar, basically on top of them.

Anytime i see a guy with a belt or straps i instantly think he's a faggot because theyve got all this gear yet arent even pulling much weight.

You dont need that shit, just use chalk, that shit is like super glue and you only need a bit and youll get mad forearms and make all these faggots mad when they see you pulling more than they can with their shitty gear.

Belts and straps are for weak, disabled cunts who are weak, why not use a pulley or a hydraulic lift ya faggots

Damn, no wonder your calluses are fucking with your lifting. You're supposed to place your hand like pic related.

Or don't. Nobody that pulls heavy weight gives a fuck about their calluses. Take the strongest grip you can and pull.

Back to the original question - if your grip fails but you feel like you can keep going, there is no harm in using straps.

Thanks!! I'm a fucking rock climber too and I have chalk out the wazoo. I'll bring my chalk bag next time to the gym and use that. Fuck.

Also, that's where the bar usually goes anyways, I should have figured this out. Thanks for the tips, fellas.

Yeah I need straps for over 3 plates. I see a lot of heavy lifters use them for heavy barbell shrugs and pendlay rows too. Hard to imagine I know, but when you do deadlifts and then go do 185lb pendlay rows I guess your forearms want to quit.

One more thing, they have these bars at the gym, and one bar in particular is slightly thinner, but seems to be the same weight. It's also darker in color (not chrome) and has a bend in it. Is this an oly bar and the other bars are some other type of bar?

Also, when I say bend, I mean it like someone pulled 6 plates with it.

This is the best thread I've seen on Veeky Forums in a while.
OP is providing quick and concise info, and people are being helpful and actually trying to solve the problem.
Good job, guys.

Do as much work strap less as you can. Straps will still improve your strength but better to do it the old way. Work in grip work like rollers etc. Where the belt when you need, it's injury prevention.

Why the fuck do you NEED them? I do 5 plates and only added chalk once my grip was failing, no problems since, still dont see the reaaoning for a belt or straps, with chalk the bar is glued to your hands

How'd you train your grip strength?
Just over 2 plates here (no bully pls) and I'm trying to get as far as I can with hook grip.

Just use mixed grip instead you meme loving fuck

I never have, my grip started slipping at 4 plates and it was never an issue once i added chalk, keep in mind i do 2-3 reps but i use to do 10-15 at lower weight until i got bored and wanted to lift heavy, maybe it had something to do with that

farmer walks

youre welcome

Its not memes to get wrasslin tier grip strength.

Something I discovered yesterday, is static barbell holds. A coach called Ed Coan has a video about them, they seem great.

Thanks boyos
That Coan vid was great, he was an awesome teacher

I don't need them, but my physical therapist said to stop using mixed grip to help solve a muscle imbalance, and my gym doesn't allow chalk.

fag.

ignore every cuck in here. improve grip on the side using a grip training routine. there's one on the grip training subrededit

Your grip can only last for so long, usually the first thing to go, so while training it is important, at some point you're just gonna hit your max for it. I ended up getting actual hooks for doing shrugs and pull-up/chin-up exercises and I got a lot of improvement out of it.

>muscular imbalance
>from pulling 3pl8 with mixed grip

Fucking lol
Kys

Everyone lifts and has proportions exactly like you, right?

Switch the mixed grip to solve the muscle imbalance. Don't let your grip be the reason other muscles are being used to their maximum, but it's better to train your grip than use straps. Try towel pull ups or heavy farmers carry.

>not having any reading comprehension
Try again fag. I said anything over 3 plates. I could pull 4 plates mixed but not double overhand.
I did start doing that, but I have every other exercise I do to help with forearms and grip. Using straps for one working set of deadlifts isn't going to atrophy them.

I like this exercise

>gym doesn't allow chalk
fuck them, just use it anyway, i wouldn't tolerate that shit, ever