Why do some people not hook their thumbs under during OHP and bench ?

Why do some people not hook their thumbs under during OHP and bench ?

I see no benefit at all and you're asking for trouble really...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI
youtube.com/watch?v=9D6o9S7maZs
youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
youtube.com/watch?v=rgYDfporX00
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

makes sense during OHP, it's not going to slip out and thumbless grip makes it easier, try it.

DONT suicide grip on bench though

Suicide grip, has that name for a reason. Stories of people doing it with 3+pl8 bench and crushing their ribs. Ignore ego lifts.

It puts the bar closer to the base of your palm which lines up the bar with your arms for better force transmission.

Bad idea for bench though.

i literally CAN'T ohp with normal grip, it feels weird and i feel like i can't push as much weight

>DONT suicide grip on bench though
i was benching with normal grip for a long time, tried suicide and i get same feeling as in ohp. When i bench heavy i use suicide grip, when i bench light i grip the bar with my thumbs because i rep shit as fast as i can so the bar would just fly away at the top

It's fucking broscience and only makes the lift WAY more dangerous.

>It's fucking broscience
how about you try it first you fucking dyel retard

RIP in pieces

You have the same chance of the bar slipping out on ohp that you do on bench press. Having a fractured skull is worth more the risk than crushing of the larynx to you, then carry on.

suicide grip certainly isn't safe on the bench, ohp yes.

the trick is to setup with thumbless grip before you bench, and when you're in position slip your thumbs under the bar.

the bar needs to sit at the base of your palm and not in your fingers, this is the reason most people get wrist pain

Enjoy your broken nose

>tfw this happend to a mate in high school and his nose is absolutely fucked because of it

no, it's completely safe. the way the bar sits in your hand it's not going to slip out or buckle your wrists like heavy bench would/can.

even in WORST CASE SCENARIOS, you wouldn't drop the bar on your head. step back and let it fall if that does happen

try it and see how stable it is and how much stronger you feel pressing, before you start shitting fear-mongering memes

It helps with the bar path, puts the elbows in a better position and can put less strain on the shoulders(less external rotation)

Pluss if you ever slip and the bar falls(will never happen) then you got to. Beno retarded if you dont feel the bar slipping and simply step out of the way.

I feel stronger with suucide grip on bench press too, doesnt mean I'm going to do it there.

In the benchsame press you cant movedo out of the way if you feel it slipping.

But you got to be mentally retarded if you dont move out of the way during an OHP thats slipping with suicide grip.

>just step out the way bro
>when your pressing a very heavy weight above head, consentrating hard on the push, going all out, then woops slip

Good luck

Like i said. If you dont feel it slipping and step out of the way youre retarded.
Just like you would step out of the way if you miss a heavy snatch or clean and jerk. People miss oly lifts all the time without any problems.

People can't into angling their hand to get the bar placed properly.

If you've not got the bar under control a pair of thumbs isn't going to stop three plates from crushing your face.

Suicide grip best grip.

What happens if you don't have the bar under control for a split second?

Is that my strong strong fried?

Megsquats is such a cunt. Imagine what her farts smell like

thanks i will. im canadian so that shitll be fixed in a day with a shitload of sweet painkillers, all for the cost of a smile and wave

Yeh i'm british so i dont know why you're trying to brag about free healthcare to me

I do most of my pressing with an axle, so I use a thumbless grip loads
Gone up to 110kg and never had trouble with feeling like the bar would fall out of my hands

FUCKING SUICIDE GRIP OHP FAGS.
IT MAKES NO SENSE TO DO IT!
JUST PUT YOUR THUMB AROUND THE BAR, IT MAKES MORE SENSE AND YOU HAVE A BETTER GRIP!
YOU DON'T HOLD A GALLON OF MILK WITHOUT YOUR THUMB!
REEEEEEEEE

oh well all your faces are crooked and bent anyway so no one will notice one more smashed nose

With an axle it definitely makes sense
Nothing wrong with doing it with a normal bar as well, if you lose control of the bar while it's over your head it's stupidly easy to step out of the way

>if you lose control of the bar while it's over your head it's stupidly easy to step out of the way
No it isn't. Idk what kind of planet you live on where gravity stops for a 10 seconds just so you can move out of the way of an object that is literally 1.5 feet above your head.
Once you lose control of the bar, and it starts falling, expect it to fall on your head or you fall with it.

>feel bar roll forwards
>push it forward and step back
You honestly have to be a complete spaz to drop the bar on your head.

Your thumbs don't have to stop the full weight. They just have to reduce the horizontal movement of the bar in your hand. You thumbs are like having a spotter. You don't expect the spotter to catch the full weight. You expect them to help you enough that you can recover.

I get bench but how is it a problem for OHP?

If your reflexes are so bad you'd actually drop it on your head then it's just natural selection.

You're literally saying that you can't escape a falling bar by pushing it... After you lose your grip.

*facepalm*

It won't just randomly fall out of your hand, you'll feel it start to roll out of your hands before it falls
if you aren't a literal window-licker it's incredibly easy to bail the lift

Drop time from lockout to your scull is 0.31 seconds.

Human reaction time for touch is 0.15 seconds.

That gives you 0.16 or about 1/6 of a second to avoid the bar.

Good luck.

>you'll feel it start to roll out of your hands before it falls

Watch almost any bench press video were the lifter drops the bar from lockout. It takes almost no time from slip to impact.

For the last time, it would never instantly drop unless you're holding it in your fingers with your palms facing upwards
you'd have at least another half a second to get the bar out of the way as you notice it rolling out

You would know long before the bar is about to slip out.

The sabertooths would have gotten your slow ass everytime.

I'm talking about OHP. I've failed a lift from nearly dropping the bar before, what happened was I felt the axle start to roll out of my left hand just as I was about to lock it out
I just swung my arms down and stepped back, it went nowhere near my head. It looks nearly instant in a bench press fail because you can't bail a bench press like you can an overhead lift

Next time I see you at the gym, I'm putting butter on the bar just so you will change your grip.

>i dont lift heavy, the post

When you're OHP is 80kg get back to me about feeling it and just moving out the way

Why not just hook your thumbs under and solve the whole issue you giant retard ?

How about 75?

Like heaven

Bench press actually has more drop time from lockout to chest than OHP has from lockout to head.

You probably don't do full lockouts overhead. You're just doing a lean back press.

My heaviest overhead lift is a 110kg axle push press, I've strict pressed 85, both with a thumbless grip
Because when the bar is two inches thick wrapping your thumbs around puts a lot more strain on your wrists
Of course I fucking lock out you retard.

But that's completely irrelevant when talking about OHP: not only is a thumb-less grip safe but it also results in less stress on your wrists.

I do 5/4/3/2.
Bench & OHP with suicide grip, reason here for is:

>less stress on your wrist
>more mobility while the push movement
>significantly lowers the damage you cause to your wrists
>pretty much required if you are above 6'0'' due longer arms, longer movement, needs more mobility

That's why you see many bodybuilders/powerlifters doing suicide grip on bench and ohp.

I started doing it after my doctor recommended me doing it. He said either monkey grip or no bench/ohp at all (I'm 6'5'')
You shouldn't do it, if you have no grip strength or if you have no business doing heavy weights on bench & ohp.

But yeah if you are an beginner don't do monkey grip.

I can only imagine how retarded you guys look when you hook your thumbs under the bar on fucking OHP

>mechanics of body movement is fucking broscience

goddammit i hate this fucking dumbshit board sometimes

Then you'll get rekt whether you're using thumbless or regular, so it doesn't matter.

retards who didn't read SS who never learned how to take a proper grip on the Press and cant even Press lmao1plaet

youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI - go to 1:57. you literally just have to flare your elbows up slightly while taking the grip and it makes the lift an order of magnitude safer.

>retards who didn't read SS who never learned how to take a proper grip on the Press
>Mark Rippetoe is the arbiter of acceptable overhead lifting form
I'll take my boy Poundstone's word, thanks
youtube.com/watch?v=9D6o9S7maZs

I've been doing it like that for 3 years and never had a problem, you just have autism.

Oh ok you're just a newbie who only knows SS. Just ignore him folks.

This is what I have done all the time, except I don't wrap my thumb around the bar. It is literally impossible to do so and press.

>hi, it's my first week on Veeky Forums, am i a sick cunt yet XDXD

yeah, mark fucking rippetoe is the end all for lifting advice.

kek spotted the mad DYELs

it's not impossible, why can i use that grip and press 165x8?

Sure, after a 6 hour wait in the waiting room.

I meant for me, should've written it. I can't OHP with mu thumbs around the bar, my wrists hurt like a motherfucker. I use it for bench though, but only with a semi-narrow grip.

why are you ignoring how to actually take the grip? maybe justin can explain it better idk, you flare your elbows out and the final grip should have the middle knuckles pointed towards the ceiling instead of the knuckles you punch with. there will be no wrist pain with that grip.

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

>sucks starting strength cock
>calls others DYEL

pottery

I think it has to do with you physiology which affects your form.

I know that for me if I do higher volume suicide grip helps because I otherwise can get soreness/tendon pain on my thumbs.

It doesn't present the same risks as suicide bench either.

I've ḑ͇̘̼̼͔͖͚̗͇͇̜̬̳̙̙̥̝̻͗ͧ͆̆̋ͬ̒̔ͮ̅̉͌i̸̧̪̗͓̙̯̖̯ͧ̔̎̏̇̇͋͐̒̃ͫ͗̚̚̚̚͘e̿͌̑̎̑̚͘҉̼͎̳͕̀d̶̲̙̮͎̪̭̟̩̹̺̠̭͊͐͑̓͛͛ͤ͟͠ so many times suicide lifting on the bench.

That is excactly what I do m8. I do it Rippetoe-style and I did from day one. Flaring my elbows almost 'till my shoulders pop out. As you can see my press is pretty decent compared to my other lifts.

coming from someone who has had wrist problems since 1pl OHP and BP (now 80kg/120kg) OHP puts almost no pressure on wrists.
BP is the snapcity exercise and I've felt it in my wrists since 1pl, never on OHP

Youre either lying or cheating. No way your OHP and Bench are that close.
Also youre a novice lifter why the fuck are you giving anyone advice?
Youre lying and an idiot

yeah m8 that's why i just do one handed suicide grip bench. I mean fuck it, if you die you die lmao yolo

helps me ensure correct bar position on OHP so it's flat against the heel of my hand as opposed to putting leverage on my wrist.

This has the added bonus of feeling it a lot more on my front delts.

Who do you think I am? I am not giving anyone advice, my first comment here was that I can't wrap my thumb around because it hurts. That's all I've said.

I think the reason they are so close is that I am close-grip benching (by accident). I widened my grip last week and I managed to get that progress up to 77,5kg I'd been struggling with.

wtf m8. I have the same bench but a 45kg ohp

>you have sooo much time before the bar kills you m8, totally go for it ;;DDDD

youtube.com/watch?v=rgYDfporX00

>I can't wrap my thumb around because it hurts
Ok so work on flexibility and grip strength. You should be wrapping your thumb on all lifts. If you cant its cause you have a medical problem or weak as fuck hands. End of story.

R8 my lifts ppl
195lbs BW btw

>comparing a bench press to an overhead lift
cool, thanks for letting me know you're a spacker in good time m8

i think everyone here is agreeing that suicide grip isn't safe on bench

not the case for ohp

>gravity works the other way in this specific lift because I say so XD

ITT retards who dont know jap grip

also, i'm pretty sure suicide grip gives you less strength, because you can't squeeze the bar which helps slightly

>bench press
>can't move out of the way because you're lying on a bench

>overhead press
>all you need to do to avoid dropping the bar on your head is push forward slightly and step back

see the difference?

The argument was that you have time before it drops. How exactly the bar falling after 0.2 sec onto you skull is better than bar falling after 0.2 sec on your chest

doesn't matter, if you can jap grip, what's the point of the suicide grip? almost the exact same spot in the hand, and with thumb around you can squeeze the bar harder, which creates tightness and that leads to strength and all that good jazz

how the fuck are you going to drop the bar on your skull? most people fail before they can even lockout overhead

meaning they dump the bar FORWARD, at worst they drop it on their chest if they're retarded...

>because you can't squeeze the bar which helps slightly
100% yes.
You should be squeezing the bar trying to break it to activate all local muscles.

Worst case scenario is blacking out during an OHP.
When you black out with your thumb wrapped around the bar, the golgi apparatus in your hands and arms will likely keep the muscle tone for long enough that the bar won't hit your head with full force (or the leverage of the joints being rigid will cause the bar to dump forward or backward). With suicide grip, the bar would just fall out of your hand if you fainted with nothing to slow it down. That's the worst case.

>The argument was that you have time before it drops
you do, the bar won't instantly roll out of your hands
if you're using a thumbless grip correctly there is a good inch or two of hand it has to travel over before it drops. If you're benching that doesn't make much difference because there's sweet fuck all you can do about it, but if you feel it start to roll out when you're pressing you just bail it forwards.
Like I've said, I use thumbless grip for axle pressing because my hands are not xboxhueg and trying to wrap my thumbs around is a bit of a pain on my wrists, especially for reps

I suicide grip OHP and bench. It feels good man. I can definitely feel the kinetic chain more directly.

That being said it's also obviously safer to do these lifts with a thumbed grip, I can just push more weight without it so I don't do that.

>tfw doing suicide grip incline bench

all men must die

I DO SUICIDE GRIP DECLINE BENCH

I would argue that hooking your thumb around would increase strength. My contention is that with the thumb hooked around you can squeeze your hand hard which activate your delts and some of your triceps (try and squeeze your hand as hard as you can in a fist without your delt flexing) which can allow you to get out an extra rep or finish a one rep max