What were some actual strong women in history?

What were some actual strong women in history?

SJWs keep shilling for bullshit propaganda like shieldmaidens when there were women who controlled the lives of billions.

This is "empress" Cixi, concubine to emperor Xainfeng.
After Opium wars, when Xainfeng died in 1861, his successor Tongzhi was only 4 years old, so all the power was inherited by xenophobic anti-reform regency. Cixi along with her sister and brother-in-law staged a coup, overthrew the regency and started governing China themselves. She continued to be the leading figure of China until hear death in 1908 and she is responsible for countless reforms that brought China to modern world.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih
badassoftheweek.com/chingshih.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine
ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-asia/lady-fu-hao-and-her-lavish-tomb-shang-dynasty-002278
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Hao
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Empress Wu the only ruling empress of china

Grace Brewster Murray Hopper (née Murray; December 9, 1906 – January 1, 1992) was an American computer scientist and United States Navy rear admiral.[1] One of the first programmers of the Harvard Mark I computer, she was a pioneer of computer programming who invented one of the first compiler related tools. She popularized the idea of machine-independent programming languages, which led to the development of COBOL, an early high-level programming language still in use today.

thats why i used quotation marks

Maria Theresia is an obvious one

>manages to defend against united armies of Prussia, Bavaria and France
>modernizes the A-H

Theodora was pretty badass

Queen Elizabeth I.

"I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too."

first ever transgender queen/king

Isn't she the one that spent all the money in the Treasury building a dumb palace rather than spending it on the navy/military

Yeap.

I've legitimately seen some SJW tripe celebrating Cixi ffs.

naw, she knew she was a girl and was comfortable with it, that was just an attempt to sound and sjow thst she was badass, since as far as she knew, "only men could act like that"

>xenophobic anti-reform
it's pretty redundant to add that when talking about china. You could put that adjective in front of 95% of individuals and 100% of governments and never be wrong.

It's a good thing she didn't give anymore money to the navy, the admirals sold the live ammunition and filled the shells with concrete anyway

tbf, there were a few men historically who did this too.

Because she was old ugly and probably could not walk due to deformed feet

SJWs are, like Veeky Forums posters, avid millennial media consumers. That means that they'll much rather have a gorgeous scandinavian amazon kicking ass in a normie TV show than knowing about the real role of women in politics and history, which was much less flashy and much more subtle. Just like you'll see Veeky Forums users on Veeky Forums saying stuff like Apocalypto is a Veeky Forums aproved movie because of muh based Mel and action scenes.

Which is worse: making meme women who were only consorts, the leaders of actual civilizations (e.g. Theodora, Gorgo) or making meme civilizations with actual female rulers (e.g. Palmyra and pic related)

Making Civ at all after 4

Zenobia should be considered a female Roman leader.

>Civ 3
>Byzantines led by Theodora
>Civ 4
>Byzantines led by Justinian
What went right?

The problem is that usually, super powerful female rulers in China were... pretty damn evil. One of them was so evil that her son the Emperor, after seeing what she did to one of her enemies had a mental breakdown (he realized he was the son of a huge monster) and went from a decent guy to a super hedonist who had a life of debauchery.

In European history, there were powerful (not only in name like Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria, but legitimately powerful) and effective female rulers. But, with the exception of Catherine the Great, they usually were very conservative Christians who made /pol/ look like a centrist board, so of course the SJWs won't embrace them.

Blanche of Castille, for example, was regent of France while her son was young or in foreign wars. And a very successful one, as good as her son who was the best King in France's history. But she was the most pious Catholic you could find, who used to say to her son:
>I love you, my dear son, as much as a mother can love her child; but I would rather see you dead at my feet than that you should ever commit a mortal sin.

Two of her kids became saints. So, of course SJWs won't like her.

sjws are ruining everything, literally 2 genders, kekistani 4 life

Nah, given the factions we have she should be an Arab leader.

Personally I think "power couples" like Justin and Theo, or like Peter and Catherine, should be represented as a couple, not as one or the other. Would either of them have achieved half what they did without the other?

>super powerful female rulers were... pretty damn evil

FTFY. There are barely any powerful female rulers who weren't absolutely tyrannous.

Zoe and Theodora were pretty funny with their bickering.

Any good sources on these? I heard a lot about them on here

Rosalind Franklin through radiation x-ray experiments discovered the shape of the double helix of dna which is pretty neat. Mary Shelly's works of writing are note-worthy. Most people brush off Frankenstein but the writing and style of the original work is quite nice if you're Veeky Forums. In fact, when it comes to literature, there were many noble and wealthy women that would take up poetry and writing to improve their desirability to suitors or as hobbies in their later years, many pieces which are considered masterpieces. Lise Meitner helped create the atom bomb by studying nuclear fission. There was joan of arc who helped lead an army to victory in Orleans during the hundred year war and later was martyred for her beliefs by being burned alive. Eleanor of Aquitaine was a very powerful and rich queen who lead her armies to victory on multiple occasions, including the second crusade.
It depends on what you mean by badass, as in contributions to human progress through science, knowledge, and culture, or by military might and conquest. Most women's actions and contributations were either as hobbies that progress into something greater or woman defending their cities and children when the men were not present. Which is as it should be, in my opinion. The pretty badass ones usually died early and terrible deaths, though.

Fuck I just want her to sit on my face grinding against my eager mouth while teasing my cock denying me the climax I don't deserve

Apparently she did anal.

well this is kind of a bias though. There were a plethora ofmale rulers, and plenty were tyrannical. Unfortunately, we don't have as big as a sample size to compare male and female to a T. Just saying.

>eleanor of aquitaine lead her armies to victory in the second crusade
nigger WHAT

>Maria Theresia
>A-H

It's retarded what they labeled it. It was called by pope eugene the 3rd and had european kings push back against muslims that were getting pushy with territory again as well as a result of the fall of the county of Edessa. Reached Jerusalem and planned to attack Damascus I think, but nothing as dramatic as the templar stuff. Mostly just noble and Catholic nonsence.

as a little girl

She did a lot of things

>Susan Brownell Anthony (February 15, 1820 – March 13, 1906) was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.

>In 1872, Anthony was arrested for voting in her hometown of Rochester, New York, and convicted in a widely publicized trial. Although she refused to pay the fine, the authorities declined to take further action. In 1878, Anthony and Stanton arranged for Congress to be presented with an amendment giving women the right to vote. Introduced by Sen. Aaron A. Sargent (R-CA), it later became known colloquially as the Susan B. Anthony Amendment. It was ratified as the Nineteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in 1920.

>When she first began campaigning for women's rights, Anthony was harshly ridiculed and accused of trying to destroy the institution of marriage. Public perception of her changed radically during her lifetime, however. Her 80th birthday was celebrated in the White House at the invitation of President William McKinley. She became the first actual woman to be depicted on U.S. coinage when her portrait appeared on the 1979 dollar coin.

>Clarissa "Clara" Harlowe Barton (December 25, 1821 – April 12, 1912) was a pioneering nurse who founded the American Red Cross. She was a hospital nurse in the American Civil War, a teacher, and patent clerk. Nursing education was not very formalized at that time and Clara did not attend nursing school, so she provided self-taught nursing care. Barton is noteworthy for doing humanitarian work at a time when relatively few women worked outside the home.

>Alice Freeman Palmer (February 21, 1855 – December 6, 1902) was an American educator. As Alice Freeman, she was President of Wellesley College from 1881 to 1887, when she left to marry the Harvard professor George Herbert Palmer. From 1892 to 1895 she was Dean of Women at the newly founded University of Chicago.

>She was an advocate for college education for women, improving their opportunities to attend college through improved college preparation, sponsorship, public lectures, and in her role in many education organizations. She was co-founder and president of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae, which later became the American Association of University Women. She was inducted into the Hall of Fame for Great Americans.

>She called for women to attain a college education so that if they needed to support themselves, they would have the necessary skills to do so. An independent and effective person, unique for her time, was the model New Woman of the 19th century. Especially in Boston she was seen as a "respected, financially independent, successful academic woman devoted to promoting women's education."

Boudica who heroically stood up against the romans

She made Oblivion mods decades before the game even came out? Sweet

>Rose Cecil O'Neill (June 25, 1874 – April 6, 1944) was an American cartoonist, illustrator, artist, and writer. She rose to fame for her creation of the popular comic strip characters, Kewpies, in 1909, and was also the first published female cartoonist in the United States.

>The daughter of a book salesman and homemaker, O'Neill was raised in rural Nebraska. She exhibited interest in the arts at an early age, and sought a career as an illustrator in New York City at age fifteen. Her Kewpie cartoons, which made their debut in a 1909 issue of Ladies' Home Journal, were later manufactured as bisque dolls in 1912 by J. D. Kestner, a German toy company, followed by composition material and celluloid versions. The dolls were wildly popular in the early twentieth century, and are considered to be one of the first mass-marketed toys in the United States. O'Neill also wrote several novels and books of poetry, and was active in the women's suffrage movement.

Artemisia is an obvious one

>Violet Oakley (June 10, 1874 – February 25, 1961) was an American artist and the first American woman to receive a public mural commission. During the first quarter of the twentieth century, she was renowned as a pathbreaker in mural decoration, a field that had been exclusively practiced by men. Oakley excelled at murals and stained glass designs that addressed themes from history and literature in Renaissance-revival styles.

The evil mercenary/pirate Artemisia or the incestuous monument-builder Artemisia?

Lots of women from the 19th century on weren't evil, and they were both important as pathbreakers for other women and mentally/morally strong because they went their own way despite adversity and ridicule from men.

But they never wanted to kill or rule over anyone, they didn't care for war, they just wanted to follow their passion and do their job in peace and were average-looking people as well as feminists, so shitty, lonely men on the internet don't care about them.

>Okuni (出雲阿国 Izumo no Okuni, born ca. 1572) was the originator of kabuki theater. She was believed to be a miko at the Grand Shrine of Izumo who began performing this new style of dancing, singing, and acting in the dry riverbeds of Kyoto.

>Be a woman, brainlet but son is emperor and will listen to your every deed.
>Governors and advisors attempt to convince her to use Chinas still vast wealth to buy modern rifles, cannons, ships, tools, technology and send students abroad to emulate Japans success.
>Buys a fucking garden so the gweilo can piss in it during boxer rebellion.

b-but womyn are useless n shud stay in the kitchen and give me babbies!

>Eleanor of Arborea (Sardinian: Elianora de Arbaree) was the juyghissa or judikessa ("female judge" or Queen in Sardinian language) of the Sardinian Kingdom of Arborea from 1383 to her death. She was one of the last, most powerful and significant Sardinian judges, as well as the island's most renowned heroine.

>Born at Molins de Rei, Catalonia, Eleanor of Bas-Serra was the daughter of Marianus IV of Arborea, and his wife Timbora de Rocabertí. The house of Arborea, whose power extended over about one third of Sardinia, was the only independent part of the island at that point in history. During her childhood, she was raised with a natural tendency towards war and weapons.

>Her father married Eleanor to Brancaleone Doria, a Genoese nobleman who held the fief of Castelgenovese, in order to strengthen local alliances. Marianus died in 1376 and was succeeded by his son Hugh III. In March 1383, there was a republican uprising in Arborea and Hugh was murdered. Eleanor defeated the rebels and became regent to her infant son Frederick, who as next male heir became the official monarch of Arborea. For the next four years Arborea was at war with the Crown of Aragon, which claimed the island. It lost much of its Sardinian possessions to Eleanor. Arborea obtained almost all of the island during this war. After rallying Sardinian forces, Eleanor was able to negotiate a favourable treaty. Her eldest son Frederick died during this war and was succeeded by her younger son, Marianus V. An alliance was formed with Genoa which sustained Arborea's independence for another generation. She died in Oristano, Sardinia, in 1404.

>Eleanor composed the Carta de Logu, a body of laws which came into force in April 1395. They were considered to be far in advance of the laws of other countries, the penalty for most crimes being a fine, and the property rights of women being preserved. These laws remained in force in Sardinia until the code issued by king Charles Felix in 1827.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih
badassoftheweek.com/chingshih.html

Consorts is the worst. Unless they ruled as a regent for their son or daughter they are just a wife/whore they listened to and respected.

Gorgo was not an actual leader, she was just a wife that Leonidas listened to. She's probably the worst civ leader choice of everything in Civ 6.

Eleanor Roosevelt.

>Following her husband's death in 1945, Roosevelt remained active in politics for the remaining 17 years of her life. She pressed the United States to join and support the United Nations and became its first delegate. She served as the first chair of the UN Commission on Human Rights and oversaw the drafting of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Later she chaired the John F. Kennedy administration's Presidential Commission on the Status of Women. By the time of her death, Roosevelt was regarded as "one of the most esteemed women in the world"; she was called "the object of almost universal respect" in her New York Times obituary.[5] In 1999, she was ranked ninth in the top ten of Gallup's List of Most Widely Admired People of the 20th Century

Olga of Kiev

>They will never make a series that truly pays homage to the greatness that was Cleopatra outside her appeasement of Caesar. Feels bad bros.
She was an intelligent, capable, and cunning leader who did her best to maintain as much prosperity and autonomy for her people as possible to the very end. She survived multiple assassination attempts by her own family only to emerge as queen. Her only fault was not underestimating Octavian like Anthony.She wasn't just some skank sleeping around with head honchos of Rome and others, those were mostly just rumors to discredit other talents. Oh well.

>Empress Wu
more like Impress Woo.

To be fair theodora was pretty impressive, just not as a ruler or leader.

Only the common woman should be domestic. A domestic doer/homemaker is a convenience for everyone in a family if they take their role with the same vigor and respect as the one who collects resourses does his. However, if there is a woman that is above average and shows talent for something, there is no reason that whatever contributions to human progress and knowledge that the woman could make should be hindered for the sake of gender. Unless she's a bitch.

>Gorgo was not an actual leader, she was just a wife that Leonidas listened to.
She played a major part in Spartan politics after Leonidas' death. There are worse choices.

>No kids

What a surprise.

I would sack her Territories if you know what I mean

Matilda of Tuscany. She ruled over a large territory in Italian HRE and supposedly led armies, notably against the then emperor Heinrich Salian during the investiture controversy.
>tfw the emperor stands for 3 days and nights barefoot in the snow outside your castle like a peasant begging for the pope to lift his excommunication

I'm naming my firstborn daughter Eleanor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Aquitaine

>joan of arc

Literal agent of Satan

>Eleanor of Aquitaine was a very powerful and rich queen who lead her armies to victory on multiple occasions, including the second crusade.

Eleanor of Aquitaine was a pretty bad queen. She is famous because she was the heiress of one of the richest dukes in Europe and because she married the King of France and Henry II.

What the hell are you talking about?

Olga of kiev

Converted to orthodoxy and ran the place until her son grew up and while he was constantly fighting something

She's mostly remembered as a great patron of the arts, which she was, and as the inspiration for chivalric notions of courtly love. She wasn't the kind of warrior king Aquitaine needed, but she in better times she would have been ideal.

t. Nigel Liverpool-Featherbottom

What a slut

Wrong, leting intelligent and capable women work in men fields makes them less likely to have children and to pass her qualities to the next generation, thus being dysgenic.

THIS....

Cixi was manchu tho, so her feet weren't bound, she actually abolished footbinding, along with death by a thousand cuts

isn't this from the same guy who wrote her husbands deatached head would fly around the palace? very reliable

based on what evidence? Professional women still have kids. They only need 1 or 2 considering infant mortality is near 0 as long as you have a decent income and a partner.

>Pirate Empress Ching Shih
>ruled a crew of 80,000 pirates
>defeated every major asian and western navy active in the south china seas
>considered unbeatable in battle
>pardon of all crimes just to make her go away

This desu

It's not like it'd be that complicated anyway. It'd be a nice twist on the old formula.

I would take these accounts with a massive dose of salt

She was a tranny and a perfidious Anglo. Enough to put her on the “Historical figures who are roasting in Hell” list.

Bullshit. Main thing that keeps people from having babies is the financial burden.

tbf the original question was asking for 'strong women'

>Perovskaya was born in Saint Petersburg, into an aristocratic family who were the descendants by marriage of Elizabeth of Russia. Her father was the former military governor of Saint Petersburg, and her grandfather had been Minister of the Interior. She spent her early years in the Crimea, where her education was largely neglected, but where she began reading serious books on her own.[1] After the family moved to Saint Petersburg, Perovskaya entered the Alarchinsky University for Women in 1869. Here she became friends with several girls who were interested in the radical movement. She left home at the age of sixteen over her father's objections to her new friends.[1] In 1871–1872, together with these friends, she joined the Circle of Tchaikovsky. In 1872–1873 and 1874–1877, she worked in the provinces of Samara, Tver, and Simbirsk. During this period, she received diplomas as a teacher and a medical assistant.

>Perovskaya participated in preparing assassination attempts on Alexander II of Russia near Moscow (November, 1879), in Odessa (spring of 1880), and Saint Petersburg (the attempt that eventually killed him, 1 March 1881).

>She was the first woman in Russia sentenced to death for terrorism.

There was a chinese pirate queen who basically ruled the south seas with an armada and eventually got a pardon and cushy job, dying in comfort.

Æthelflæd, daughter of Alfred the Great and eventual Lady of the Mercians through strange circumstances that put a female as head of state.

Zenobia ultimately failed but she was far smarter and accomplished than Cleopatra despite having less recognition.

Elizabeth really wasn't in the worst batch of English rulers, user. But if you want to go there yes, even a lot of the "good" Monarchs are probably roasting in hell for some of the people they put to death.
She isn't a tranny, she had a feminine Gender expression since she wore dresses and jewels, and long hair as befitting her gender role. Speaking of gender roles, again, she was specifically referencing them by saying those words. As far as everyone knew at the time(and even some sexist these days) not only does physical strength/endurance =manly but mental/inner attributes like being steadfast, fearless, and confident=manly.
Basically willpower.

well, women for most of history had to break out of societal limitations to be "strong". It figures that narcissists and evil bitches would make up at least half of this population.
Sjw are just grasping at straws to find evidence of herstory to study, even if the woman was a total psycho. At least, it shows that women are capable of doing the same atrocities and accomplishments as men even with such a small sample size.

>brought China to modern world.
Love it when "progress" is automatically presupposed to be better than the past.

婦好Fu Hao. The first female military leader of China.
ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-asia/lady-fu-hao-and-her-lavish-tomb-shang-dynasty-002278
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Hao

We're talking about women, user

We're talking about women user...

SJW's hate her so much because apparently she fought for white womens rights and not colored womens rights. They are so short-sighted it's really fucking annoying