Historical Map Thread

Post interesting historical maps. Either modern maps of historical times or contemporary ones.

Preferably ones that are not just geopolitical borders.

I'll start.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursus_publicus
citymetric.com/transport/its-christmas-so-here-are-11-beautiful-isochrone-maps-showing-travel-times-different
xpda.com/junkmail/junk222/cw0013200.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That didn't paste properly.

The 35 day barrier coincides heavily with the maximal extent of the empire, as well as many of its temporary holdings. Not perfectly, but heavily.

That's interesting, do you know how fast messages took to travel?

That's pretty much what the map is showing. I don't know if it's just coincidence or says something about how much communications affect the size of empires, but it really is interesting how well they line up. The 28 day barrier also mostly covers the most stable holdings of Rome.

IIRC Rome had some sort of message carrying system. There were stations where a messenger could exchange horses (or indeed messenger). I don't know when this was introduced though.

The earliest example we have (I'm sure all empires have had to have something like this) of this kind of system, it's where we get the concept of the relay race.

God damn I love maps like this. I remember in college my historical geography professor showed us a few dozens (mostly Europe through the centuries, but a few of China and the Andes too), best time I had in a classroom ever. Coupled with Braudel for textbook made for a toppest tier class to take. Too bad he was old as fuck, refused to use computers as lecture aids (used fucking diapositives to show us the maps, in the year of our lord 2012), and retired before I could take his upper level classes about territorial analysis.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursus_publicus

Ah yes found it

How did they manage to pull this off? I thought Austro-Hungary was a backwater.

Bahntransport = rail transport

have you considered the memes you "learnt' may not be true?

That's not an answer.

I'd like to see a similar map for constantinople

You want him to take time and effort to disprove your own misconceptions?

Fuck off

>Austro-Hungary was a backwater
Backwater is a relative term. They certainly were as industrialized and economically developed as France and Germany, but they were neither poor nor backwards. Even a country kept into industrial worthlessness by lack of mineral resources until the mid-20th century like Italy had a well developed railway network by the time WW1 came around.

I'm not dumping 11 pics from mobile, but I'll post you a link so you can enjoy them:citymetric.com/transport/its-christmas-so-here-are-11-beautiful-isochrone-maps-showing-travel-times-different

You thought wrong.

>perfect worlds don't exi-

Also that red gives a very odd effect on my phone.

>Berlin at where Warsaw is

Looking at it now were the allies retarded? Why didn't thy try to create a greater numerical superiority for the invasion?

The Greeks gave an estimate as to the numbers needed for the invasion but Churchill completely ignored them and sent like 15% as much.

Full size

xpda.com/junkmail/junk222/cw0013200.jpg

What are these sorts of maps called? Infographics gets used a lot but that sounds like a modern meme.

London Geographical Society
"The Peoples' Atlas" (1920)

Pic: World supply of key commodities

Pic: The World's Trade (c. 1920)

Pic: Main air routes and the distance to London in hours

Pic: Money, Languages and Emigration Routes
(c. 1920)

Related, literacy in Austria-Hungary. Look at how bad Galicia is.

Japanese Map of the World in 1914, with main railroad connections.

and people say the Earth is spherical, HA

Austro Hungary was heavily regional. Transylvania, Carpathia and Budovina, sure. Lower Austria, Transdanubia and Bohemia? No, they enjoyed quite high economic growth.

Does anyone have a map of how long it took for each European empire to build railways?

It was compared to other nations. See UK rail network simultaneously.

This is awesome.

>compared to other nations
It was better than 99% of the planet. UK was an outlier and had the most extensive network in the world.

Most Western nations had a more extensive rail network in 1914 than they do nowadays.

America is even worse, they were the pioneers of rail travel and nowadays their railways are shit because of six decades of automobilization and Amtrak is underfunded garbage.

>America is even worse, they were the pioneers of rail travel and nowadays their railways are shit because of six decades of automobilization and Amtrak is underfunded garbage.

While the U.S. doesn't do much passenger rail nowadays, we still ship the most freight by rail in the world.

Depends. In the west it's so bad that in cities like Phoenix even most goods are shipped through air or trucks.

Since we are posting railroad networks, Argentine railroads by 1946

And its growth, which was explosive between 1890 and 1930

That's depressing

What does this map refer to?

very good post
t. ligurian

label your shit!