Post your favorite historical quotes

>The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.

-Air Chief Marshall Sir Arthur Harris

but germans only targeted military objectives

>Bomb them until they surrender!
>They don't

Brilliant.

Do it again bomber Harris!

>Isn't it true that we weren't cowards at Sedan?
The last words of Louis Napoleon.
>Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!
Henri de la Rochejaquelein, one of the leaders of the royalist Vendee uprising.
>I am French and I will remain French.
Marshal Ney to his lawyer on the proposal to escape a court-martial for treason by using his hometown being annexed by Prussia as a reason that he can't be tried using the French laws, since he is now Prussian.
>Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire!
The last words of marshal Ney, executed for treason.

cringe

>As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood". That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the century. Only resolute and urgent action will avert it even now. Whether there will be the public will to demand and obtain that action, I do not know. All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.

Something more specific?

"I ask you: Do you want total war? If necessary, do you want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?"
(Shouts: Yes! Yes! Yes!)

>God, don't let me die, I have too much to do
Huey Long's last words after being shot by the son-in-law of a man he was about to assfuck in court

Napoleon III gets me saddened each time I read about him.

Whether it be his failed attempts at securing an alliance, trying to modernize his army, or even his surrender to save his own army where he wandered aimlessly (while getting shelled).

He was exiled, deposed, and made a laughing stock in France. The poor guy wanted to die in Sedan, but didn't have the guts to bring 100k with him.
> A doctor accompanying him wrote in his notebook, "If this man has not come here to kill himself, I don't know what he has come to do. I have not seen him give an order all morning.
He died asking if he was a failure..

Coventrieren, faggot.

Do it again bomber harris

Do it again bomber Harris, also this time please firebomb London as well
>t.*nglo

do it again Bomber Harris

Karl XII aka Carolus Rex

"I have resolved never to start an unjust war but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies"

>You can't even shoot straight. Aim better! Finish it now!
--Antonescu after his firing squad missed him

>You wouldn't even be able to control the hydraulic penis!

Dr Quenton Quinn

Is this also the guy who basically tried to kill himself at Borodino

>'soldiers, let me show you how a Marshal of France dies!'
etc.

"It is a good thing it is over. It was just an opera anyway."

- Albert Speer