I'm an Ethereum Contract Developer, AMA

If anyone is actually curious about applications built on Ethereum and their tokens I'm answering questions till I head to bed.

Won't be saying which DAPP I'm working on since this is a pit of vermin, but it's a real one rather than one of the many scams.

Other urls found in this thread:

solidity.readthedocs.io/en/develop/index.html
remix.ethereum.org/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Μ_operator
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do you think of LINK

>he said he's a 'solidity dev'

It looks to be a legitimate project although I haven't done any deep digging on their offering.

There are use cases for it within our app that could be fulfilled by oraclize.it just as easy really. I think their true test will be courting big established companies rather than other DAPP orgs.

I'm not entirely sold though on the Token. It depends on how their decentralized node system works with staking and actually securing the network I guess.

What did you have for breakfast?
What did you have for dinner?

Hey hey, I never said I was a Solidity dev. Maybe I'm using Serpent or Viper or writing straight bytecode you don't fucking know.

Nothing.
Chicken.

Should i hodl ethereum sell at a loss to buy more bitcoin

No fucking idea. The market valuation of crypto right now has nothing to do with legitimacy or reason so I can't help with that on a short term basis.

Long term ETH cap should be more that BTC in my opinion.

it's a private network and them calling it 'decentralized' is bogus marketing. CL will own the admin keys for the contracts it renders on ethereum
>paid to write systems that are forced to be trivial
>not a larper/pajeet
pick one

Meh that's pretty standard to have a dev backdoor to contracts when you initially put them on chain. Nothing works perfectly the first try in software. Blockchain apps are no different.

Why do you think DAPPS are forced to be trivial? Gas costs? The complexity of tons of contracts interacting?

Will it be possible to do realtime communication using ethereum anytime soon? Also, are you interested in taking on any side projects? Working on the details of a project with the intent to ICO, and we just started our search for an ethereum pro. Email me at [email protected] if interested!

What exactly does ethereum do? If I understand correctly ether is what's used to pay miners to process IF statements?

Realtime communication, if you mean something like a chat application, on ethereum seems like a silly use case to me. If you just mean near instantaneous tx times that's several years out.

No time to do any other projects at the moment but good luck with yours.

wat is a dapp and why should i care?

Will your DAPP be having an ICO?

If so you're a shameless fraudster and should kill yourself. Otherwise, good luck.

>complexity of tons of contracts interacting
hasn't happened thus far. The same friction that results in 1 contract being limited will affect a network of interacting contracts too.

Do you really think so?
Just comparing marketcap, we got a long way to go. Just can't wrap my head around that even if long means 5-10 years.

opinion on wanchain?
thoughts on moving traditional asset protection strategies (offshore trusts and llc chains) into 'smart trusts'?

Miners are paid to do POW calculations just like other POW blockchains.

Ethereum nodes process transactions. Processing these transactions costs ETH. The transactions expense is based on storage usage and code execution complexity. This prevents infinite loops or waste because the the waster/attacker would run out of funds.

When you make a transaction on Ethereum you can pay more optionally to have miners put your transaction in a block earlier since fees got to miners.

When you buy an ERC20 token you are, in theory, buying a token that is used in that companies DAPP (decentralized application)

No.

No fraud pls.

I guess we'll see. Its not exactly friction-less but it seems to be working in our testing.

BTC's actual utility and ecosystem is shit compared to Ethereum from what I've seen.

bitcoin lacks every stupid compromise that allows ethereum to be ethereum (besides asic resistance).

when is plasma coming, I can't find the info anywhere

Read the wanchain abstract in their whitepaper and looked at the token use description.

This is probably a legitimate project but their token is not a legitimate token use case and will only make their product worse. I wouldn't invest in it personally.

I don't think anyone could put a definite date or time frame on that except for "year(s) from now"

so all project that needs it for scalability like omisego are doomed ?

Nah. People routinely invest in projects that have many years out before they're feasible or will be delivered.

Polkadot did an ICO recently that raised $100M+ when they are open that the product won't be released until 2020.

What are your thoughts on atomic swaps?

How would a DAPP function without a token? Does that mean it only uses ether to execute instructions on the Ethereum network instead of it's own token?

Bitcoin has the same use than gold nowadays, it has the most stability due to the marketcap, making it the safest investment, also has the name and is the entry point for 99% of people, you can still use it as a mean to transfer money if you don't mind waiting a few minutes and paying a 20 cents tax
facebook and google are way more useful than gold, but gold has a 8 trillion market cap, facebook only 400 billion

Atomic swaps are neat, though ultimately I'm interested in mainly Ethereum so more sophisticated platforms and options exist within just that context.

Most Dapps probably don't need a token at all and just add it in as a way to get investment capital without angering regulators. 0x or Raiden for example just arbitrarily add it in as a fee when that just makes their whole offering shittier as they could just use ETH.

I'm just saying that it's shitty utility wise, not that it isn't popular or valuable

But,but plasma is still theoretical?
Thet means every eth project like plasma may or may not deliver after all?

Tnx on ama btw.

at the ico investors agreed not to trade the token until their mainnet goes live at which point they can be swapped 1:1 for the coin of their native blockchain (wancoin)

will ETH moon as hard as it once did ever again?

Every in progress project is theoretical. I suspect plasma will happen, just that it may take a while.

If you can explain why the token is necessary for the system they are making I could be persuaded otherwise, but it seemed to me its just another fee generating tumor on an otherwise legitimate use case.

Who knows. The market is filled with uneducated and silly investors right now.

ha. unfortunately there's a universal usecase for tokens, simply 'the market determines the cost of x'

but hey. erc20 is the 'killer app' for ethereum, right?

Thoughts on Request?

Another project that put in a token that has no reason to exist. ETH would work much better in their proposed system than introducing another token.

so in Your opinion, wich project have token eich is not'fee generateing tumor' and haves legit use case?

don't rush him, he'll shill his token when he's ready.

Gonna stay away from outright recommending any project's token but in general look at these two things:

1. Does the token not require involvement on the part of the token holder to generate fees?
2. Would ETH work better in the system and do the same thing?

If the answer to either is yes than it's a shit token.

Is there someone or some company i can pay so they make me a smart contract?

Also, best places to learn how to make one? Shit is hard and not enough documentation or videos.

I'll make you one, I used to work for a Eth company and have developed a couple of ICO contracts. Usually charge $400/day.

Docs at solidity.readthedocs.io are good, so are the truffle docs.

op will do it

solidity.readthedocs.io/en/develop/index.html

and

remix.ethereum.org/

are the best easy beginning places.

what do you know about the ETC crowd? They are involved with ADA.

Are you a good dev? What's your background?

Do you like functional languages? Do you projects other than ADA and Zen protocol that use one?

What's the typical deployment cost for a contract in dollar right now?

Do you think less functionality of should be in the VM?

Are you market yourself as SC dev or is this just a niche?
How to filter the the good things (of approaches you get on linkedin)?

What do you think of Neo, Ada, Lisk, Stratis, Eos?

Got an email?

Whats the cost for an ico contract?

[email protected]
dependent on complexity, but usually a week's work (including time for changes), so $2k

besides being used for processing fees the coin is used as bond deposits at each node for ensuring cross-chain transactions.

it's more of a copy paste job than an actual project but ok

Saved, I'll send you an email tomorrow. How can I know youre legit and not some pajeet looking to scam?

eh, some projects are more annoying than others, gotta give yourself time for dipship clients to get their desires in order, but yeah in a perfect world they would all be clones

My god

>solidity
>developer
pick one

i don't type like a pajeet, and i will video chat you. i am white

compared to what i have to promise my clients for 40 hours of work, that's a bad joke. but maybe you've never worked on real software before.

Honestly I know nothing of the ETC crowd. I'm guessing it's non-existent.

I'm ok. I've done a lot of different stuff.

Functional is ok. I don't really have strong language preferences.

Deployment cost like the actual gas cost of uploading the contract or in development cost? Either way the answer is it varies drastically.

I want a shitload more functionality in the EVM.

I've never really marketed myself as a SC dev. Sort of fell into it.

Neo is silly. I hear ADA is some scam isn't it? Don't know anything about LISK. Stratis I know is at least working on stuff. Eos I wouldn't bet on personally but if you like their team it'd legit.

Why can't this be in ETH?

ho-HO you got me, well shit guys lets pack it up.

>maybe i never worked on real software

are you butthurt that if you know solidity you can make fast bucks? if you are such a 'real software dev' then you should be picking it up, because it's fast ca$h brother

Alright ill contact you tomorrow its 3 am here

i'm a moralist, i can't help it.

np cunt have a good rest

ETC exist, they are part of thecIOKH community, which seemsxto becfinanced by a big Japanese company. Offered me jobs before.

Gas cost. And cosider a 500 line code

What do you want in the EVM that's not there?

>Neo is silly. I hear ADA is some scam isn't it? Don't know anything about LISK. Stratis I know is at least working on stuff. Eos I wouldn't bet on personally but if you like their team it'd legit.
Do some more reading, no offence

what are you doing on biz then, this board is about taking money from babbies

only on a fair and open market.

How would noob like me learn Solidity the best way? Where should I start?

Can't find anything on that company (tried various spellings of whatever you typed)

500+ lines is going to be in the millions of gas.

I want portable debugger support instead of something shitty provided in a web UI.

I don't really feel like reading about them though.

The docs. Read their example contracts and play with them on Remix

>something shitty provided in a web UI.
>ethereum

So if someone were interested on launching an ico how much would it cost to deploy it in ethereum network (in ethers)?

Also how much programming experience is needed to make contracts on solidity? Could a total noob learn quickly?

>ho-HO you got me, well shit guys lets pack it up
Hey newfag, hot thread this way ------->

ah, and by VM functioanlity I don't mean language constructs that would be possible (but could in priciple be achieved using existing tool), but instead access or write possibility to other state- or blockchain data.

Turing completeness (while loops and arbitrary boolean computation) is likely to be too much for whatxwe wabt from smart contracts. The whole gas cost spiel is a result of thexlong-runtime concern that hardlycaffects any dApp used now.

Therecare some lazy semantics languagesxthatcwantcto get aroundxit without gas.

In my assesment, Neo has the biggest open source community after Ethereumcand lots ofcthings comingcon. The main protocol and compiler is in C#, but you can deploy eith the Python implementation of the node too compile a subset of SC. Lisk is somewhat active too. Ada is too academic - you can find the github by clicking yourself through the Cordano page for a while. IOKH maybe. EOS already made steemit, so I think the main dev is good, but it's also scammy

>I don't want to know what's happening in the dev spherecI make my miney in
aha

it's easy, why else would there be so many jokers trying to flog their shit around?

I've been really wanting to invest in iExec RLC. Seems promising. What do you think?

Just one last thing before bed. The bit about Turing completeness you posted completely misses the point and is just totally incorrect with regards to what "we want from smart contracts". I have no idea how you're coming to that conclusion.

I don't want to read about those projects because I did some initial research and concluded they weren't worth long term investment. As I said I have 0 fucking ability to predict short term gains because the market is filled with idiot money.

Most languages are Turing complete, it doesn't take much (I havr friends who wrote differential equation solvers in LaTeX), but lanuages who don't have it (there are theorem prover languages like that, for example. (More technicall, they lack
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Μ_operator
)
But once you drop this (essentially when you drol strong for loops), then you get provability of features like runtime and your blockchain doesn't need stuff like a Gas counter.
SCs atm. hardly use all the functionalities of a Turing complete language. We hardly make computations. Most contracts like ICOs and token holding programs are glorified distributed registers

And yes, market cap has almost nothing to do with the credibility of the projects.

E.g. Metaverse says they will do everthing and their codebase is a bitcoin fork without smart contracts or anything

You’re a high functioning idiot. Sorry

newfag here, WTF's the deal with all these new cryptocurrencies? I'm lost as hell

it's mostly predators

Should I convert my ETH to BTC and just forget about it for a few years or hold ETH? I have 17 ETH

Money skelly confirm

What exactly did I say that rustles your jimmies? That people try to improve upon the bloatedness of Ethereum? Understand that I'm a big fan of that protocol, I'm just reporting what people discuss.

I'm just getting into crypto. I know and understand the technology behind BTC.

Ethereum is still beyond me. What resources would you recommend accessing to learn about the fundamentals to begin with and then go into more detail?

What do you think of wetrust.io? Vitalik is advising this project but the price has been dead for 12 months?

there is less to it than you'd think.

The Ethereum Whitepaper motivates Ethereum, starting With Bitcoin. It's on the Ethereum GitHub

tldr: all full nodes host a virtual machines (like the java virtual machine) and everybody can deploy scripts to the blockchain that those nodes would then execute for you. These decentralized apps (dApps) can be anything from adding 2+3 to storing changable key-value pairs, which atm. is mostly just used to create address-balance libraries, i.e. tokens such as 80% of what you see on coinmarketcap.

A new token is like a big key-value json file and a script to rewrite it, except it's on the blockchain and shared and immutable for people without the right cryptographic signature