The Suebis, where did they come from where did they go? Did they worship Óðinn/Wota/Wōđanaz?

The Suebis, where did they come from where did they go? Did they worship Óðinn/Wota/Wōđanaz?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mOYZaiDZ7BM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I thought they settled in portugal.
Also yeah they probably were your standard germanic pagan before they got christianized.

Pretty sure northern Spain

According to a passing meme I saw today didn't they resist Christianization to some degree?

Isn't galicia close to portugal culturally?

I don't know honestly.
They seemed to me not very different than the many germanic tribes that migrated in the 5th century so I never read much into them.

Their kingdom stretched from Galicia to Lisbon, the southern border on the north shore of the Tagus. That's more than half of Portugal + Galicia basically

>Isn't galicia close to portugal culturally?
They shared the same language, Galician-Portuguese all the way up until the XVth or XVIth century. Then Galicians got assimilated by Castilians and the languages started to divert. They're still mostly mutually intelligible.
The Kingdom actually occupied most of Iberia under King Rechila in the 490s.

They were Slavs :-)

Where did ya come from, Suebi-eyed joe?

They were Celts(cf. Ariovistos) ruling over a Germanic plebs, just like the Sicambri, the Cimbri, the Teutons, and the Marcomanni

These guys are getting talked about a lot on this site in the past few days. Seems like a Portuguese conspiracy to me

Get ready, Spaniard. We're sowing the seeds of separatism in Galiza, and soon we'll unite as Greater Portugal!

Actualy the suebi Poster is spaming on and off in the last few years.
The suebi are not famous around here in Holy Northern Perfectugal we larp as celts and romans not shit slavs or gems...

Go ahead and dump your stockpile of portuguese wikipedia images

Haven't noticed it before

youtube.com/watch?v=mOYZaiDZ7BM

so that's where they go, but where do they come from?

>The suebi are not famous around here
This. The high school History curriculum skips from Roman occupation straight to the Reconquista. Do Spanish highschools talk about the Visigoths?
Modern day Germany. Swabia is named after them.

Not Spanish but when at uni in Spain we talked quite a bit about los visigodos

In Spain Germanic invasions are taught, yes.

I'm confused, those where germans (clets?) yet they named part of the land Galicia (like that of the Gaul), wherent the Gauls coming from Ireland initially?

Suebii were Germanic.
The land in which they settled was already called Galaecia cause it was populated by Celts when the Romans first arrived.
The Irish have a legend about some of their ancestors coming from the Spanish Galicia.

just for the record, where do Celts come from, Gauls or germans? And why is the line between both so blurry (at least to me know knowing much about the differences).

>or germans
WE

Gauls, Celtiberians and Britons are CELTS.

I never understood how there was the Kingdom of the Suebi in Iberia when they were a tribal confederation.
The Anglii were part of the Suebi, but they went into Brittania.

>The Suebis, where did they come from?
The Suebi are a confederation of germanic tribes from northern germany.
>where did they go?
Some settled in Galicia and Gallia
>Did they worship Óðinn/Wota/Wōđanaz?
Yes.

What do you mean?
Many other tribes, like Franks and Goths (and you don´t need to be a philologist to realize what Alamanii means) were confederations too.
Some confederations and tribes just merged and divide, some identities were succesful and lasted while others dissapared from history, most likely absorbed by more sucessful identities.

I'm so tired of that guy.

They worshiped Jesus Christ.

Suebi > Suerbi > Serbi > Srbi

OMG IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE