Did people walk differently a long time ago?

Did people walk differently a long time ago?
Apparently, people walked putting the front of their feet first rather than the ball?

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=EszwYNvvCjQ

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rarámuri_people
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking#Biomechanics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is some real lindybiege tier shit

I really doubt that this is true

Seeing as walking is determined by our anatomy and we haven't observed different ways of walking among different cultures, forgive me if I remain sceptical toward this idea.

Maybe if they were wearing heels (for horseriding). Otherwise it would just be insanity.

They pooped differently (squat instead of sit) but walking? idk.

inb4 someone makes a virgin/chad comic with "the heel walker" vs "the ball walker"

The Virgin Ball Walker vs the Chad Heel Stride

Did they eat their poop?

>Apparently
No. Biomechanics is what it is, period.

No but certain civilizations utilized it for various means.

>if you step with the front of your foot first you might detect snakes and shit on the ground
That sounds retarded, how is that going to make a difference, you're still stepping on it?

I'm pretty sure I walk the old fashioned way.

You can LITERALLY youtube videos of tribal people walking to see if that's true and it isn't.

I'm not defending this video, and I don't plan on watching it, but
>implying humans don't expend vast amounts of energy going out of their way to do something inherently difficult than their nature for cultural reasons

Foot-binding, seppuku, NAVY Seals Hell Week, charging a machine gun nest, dancing the Charleston until you die, etc. All go against fundamental human instincts. Mind over matter.
Again, I'm just saying its possible because never underestimate what people will do to seem socially (and therefore biologically) more fit than their competitors. E.g. if walking everywhere on your hands would inexplicably have the same effect on women as a 9" dick, seven-figure salary and an Arnold Schwarzenegger-esquee physique, then by God almost everyone ITT would have at least 18 years experience not walking on their feet.

So maybe it was socially prudent to do so? Or maybe all the disease, birth defects, bad diet, religious fervor and ergot poisoning made them walk like they'd just had their asses rented out to the entire cell block for a weekend. Maybe we'll never know

Then wouldn't you expect there to be cultures that actually do walk in a different way?

most people alive today squat when they poop.

Everybody walked like that until about the 1970's when shoe companies started putting tons of cushioning into the heels of shoes. Try walking (or gently running) barefoot on a hard, smooth surface and you'll immediately notice that it fucking hurts if you try putting your foot down heel-first. The way that most modern shoes are designed, with tons of unnecessary cushioning underneath the heel of the shoe, actually distorts the natural motion of the human foot and leads to painful injuries because people aren't using their feet correctly anymore.

That's called autism

we call that the autistic walk

So why don't people in films from the 20s walk like that?

>dude, anything unusual is autism! lmao

Shoe-company conspiracy.

Let me guess, the joos?

This is just the natural way human walk actually, we only walk with our heels first because of our shoes, but we all walk like that barefoot.

More like the shoos

I walk like that when I get a painful blister

>inb4 user subtly requests a meme by saying 'inb4 someones makes such meme'

He's correct about certain communities using the toe-strike method as opposed to the heel strike. The first thing that comes to mind are those Native American ultra-long distance runners. But it's only a thing when running, they walked just the same as we do.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rarámuri_people

I actually walk like this when not wearing shoes and not paying attention.
The floor at home when I was a child was really noisy, which disturbed autistic little me, so I walked on tiptoes at home, and it's kind of stuck with me since.

I do that too, thought it was normal

the only major difference you see between modern and undeveloped cultures is the lack of use of the buttocks

Everyone runs toe-first. It's simply what feels natural, and it's much less draining and more efficient But no one walks toe-first, and for fairly obvious reasons.

cause user is a retard, these were medieval type 'shoes' which were just a leather sock. The guy in the video even says it. Go put some thick socks on, thats what they are ike. Compared to later shoe designs with an actual sole, and even high heels which were in fashion for men starting with the early modern period.

this is an add for shoes from the 40s, you can see they are basically just like modern day dress shoes .Nothing like the ones in the OP video, which were from a much earlier period. Once heels were prominent, the modern stride would become more popular because its more efficient. It took more effort to walk toe first.

me too.

I naturally walk like that when walking on rocky surfaces, and sometimes I find myself doing it when I'm at home, bare foot. I also believe its been noted that a lot of shoe less, primitive societies still walk like that.

It was probably the common way to walk before arc support and heels

Walking is largely the same (heel-toe)
But running has changed you’re supposed to bound off the ball of your foot not just walk faster

There's a lot of drag queen larpers itt. No you can't walk like that, shoes or not, heels or not, if nothing forces you to do so. Try to walk a kilometer this way and call me back... At best you can run like that IF you're an olympic athlete on short distances.

>and I don't plan on watching it,

but why...

>He walks on his heels barefoot
Are you retarded? I'm legitimately asking if you have a congenital mental defect. EVERYONE walks this way when they're barefoot or don't have large amounts of cushioning in their shoes.

You could tell the footstrikes of a native american from an englishmen during the settling of america from how weight was placed in the footprint

>EVERYONE walks this way when they're barefoot
No, you urban scum, no one walks like that outside the 5 meters between the couch and the microwave.

But that's how I walk...

The guy in the video is exaggerating, but yes that is how people walked, ball of the foot first

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking#Biomechanics

>we haven't observed different ways of walking among different cultures, forgive me if I remain sceptical toward this idea.
Ultimately, this. As a few other people have mentioned, it's pretty well documented that cultures without modern shoes tend to run like that, but running is an entirely different thing to walking. As far as I'm aware, actually walking with the mechanism hasn't been observed before; even some ancient trackways seem to imply biometrics pretty much identical to what we consider typical.

It really seems like Roland might be misinterpreting studies about running without modern footwear, and (for some reason) extrapolating that people must have walked that way, too. It's easy to see where someone might make that mistake (as even some people in this thread seem to be doing), but there's really no reason to make that leap. Running is different that walking, and there's no evidence people walked that like.

Walking no. But that's a proper way to run.

wait that's how i walk now. is that not how you're supposed to walk?

at least he is being honest