When and why did high school educations start to become useless for the job market...

When and why did high school educations start to become useless for the job market? How did we go from a system where you could make 60k in todays money out of HS into one where you can make barely 15k?

What job did you used to be able to do with HS that you now cannot?

>How did we go from a system where you could make 60k in todays money out of HS into one where you can make barely 15k?
We didn't.

Sometime in the late 80s colleges started shilling extra hard, tuition rates skyrocketed because of the way student loans were set up and a college degree became equivalent to a high school diploma.

"Progressive" education reform

The main point of school is to make you subservient and to make you used to sitting a whole day listening and dealing with idiotic techers/bosses and retarded classmates/coworkers and doing inane tasks without complaining.
In that way it is still "useful" today for the job market.

>The main point of school is to make you subservient
No
>and to make you used to sitting a whole day listening
No the listening part is to aquire information. Sitting while doing that is just less exhausting
>and dealing with idiotic techers/bosses and retarded classmates/coworkers
If this board hadn't been flooded by retarded /pol/tards who argue on that level I'd be certain this is parody. I'm still not sure
>and doing inane tasks
No
>without complaining.
I was allowed to complain in school. However my complaints were about the quality of the education not how inane it is to learn grammar or economics. If I were your teacher I wouldn't want to hear the edgy WOW kid complain how "school sux" every day either. Heck I'm not your teacher and I'm already tired by your bullshit.
>In that way it is still "useful" today for the job market.
And in the way that it teaches skills required in the job market and supplied a general level of education that improve your livelihood in this world.
You know what scratch that. Whoever educated you whereever clearly did a horrendous job. You are absolutely right to complain about an education system that produced a smug self-deluding failure like you.

Roboticization and automation. Blue collar jobs increasingly do not exist because we increasingly derive machine driven ways to circumvent the need for human labor. The less abstract thought and creativity is required of your job, the sooner you will be supplanted. Manual and mechanical labour is the first to be replaced, soon service jobs will follow.

This, combined with other factors like how increasingly common and useless basic college degrees are means vanishing opportunity, which helps keep wages flat despite all other factors rising.

>And in the way that it teaches skills required in the job market
What skills?

inb4 I can read and write
You don't need 10+ years for that.

The time when you started to compete with Indians, Chinks and robots.

Statistics, computer science, business english directly.

Mathmatics and advanced physics that allowed for my engineering study indirectly.

If all you learned at school is to read and write that is more telling about you than about school

>school does not exist to make children subservient
You must be from one of those countries where the government does not use education to brainwash the young into never questioning that government. I envy you desu

Manufacturing and general labour jobs left leading to people needing more specialized education for careers.
Also there is probably a case to be made that the quality of high school education got worse because of trying to bring up the bottom tier of students and other shit

>no
good counter pleb

>We didn't.
What do you mean we didn't? Factory jobs mate. My economics professor was talking about how his first job out of HS he was making the equivalent of 55k in todays money. It's a common story, go talk to anyone older than 65.

Can I get a quick rundown

I'd like to point out that this graph is highly misleading, as 1.) federal spending per pupil is not at all representative of actual quality of education, and 2.) aggregate standardized test score are not at all representative of student achievement. That being said, US schools are dogshit and will continue to be so until our citizens force our politicians to change the system, namely how schools are funded. Also teachers unions are awful.

Education is a meme. American education looks bad because Americans are stupid (and other things).

Bullshit it ever paid anything close to that amount. Assembly line jobs were mannual labor that could be easily done by machines, no factory owner in his right mind would pay 55k a year for an entry position unless the cars were made out of solid gold and people were lining up to buy them.

And yet this nation of idiots made it to the moon several times and sweeps the novel prizes in science every year.

>Bullshit it ever paid anything close to that amount.
It's true.

T. boomer.

It was the EQUIVALENT of 55k today moron. Back then it would have been like 2k per year.

Value is relative
If everyone has a high level of schooling
>highschool
Then it means nothing
To a mostly illiterate population the ability to make basic calculations was far and away superior
We’re on the cusp of facibg a similar crisis with college degrees
Soon everyone will have a college degree and a phd in some high end science and the only work for them will be taking orders from the mcdonalds drive thru

>And yet this nation of idiots made it to the moon several times and sweeps the novel prizes in science every year.
Yeah america has tons of smart people and tons of retards but the general public leans towards dumb and makes the schools look worse than other countries that are more average

>Soon everyone will have a college degree and a phd in some high end science and the only work for them will be taking orders from the mcdonalds drive thru

Nah. It will collapse and companies will start hiring people again once they realize how big of a meme higher education for most jobs is.

It's not misleading in the sense that it shows that throwing money at this problem has failed to solve it, which is an important thing to keep in mind. Lots of people with little knowledge of the subject love to talk about how we're not spending enough on education. For the most part the problem is something entirely different, which is what makes it so damn hard to solve.