What goes on here?

what goes on here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast
eos.org/articles/climate-change-could-make-siberia-an-attractive-place-to-live
gismeteo.ru/maps/feru/temp/
admin.ved.gov.ru/uploads/booklet_ver59_eng_PREVIEW.pdf
ddv.moscow/en/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Event-Program_Stand-of-API-Ministry-of-the-Russian-Far-East-Eng-1.pdf
brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2449476/NUPI_Policy_Brief_8_17_Blakkisrud.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
gutenberg.org/files/2067/2067-h/2067-h.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It snows

some oil extraction and forestry and a bit of naval and early air warning defense
keep in mind that there are only like 3 major cities there and less than 1/3 of the population

I can't wait for Russia to balkanize

Most of it is empty wilderness, literally nothing there besides wildlife and trees. Could walk for weeks and find nothing.

What this user said; actually lovely wilderness if you don’t mind cold and snowy all the time. Very scenic when you get to points of no human presence. Other than that, cold as fuck without a lot of modern conveniences.

t. born in village outside Vladivostok

>Could walk for weeks and find nothing
You reminded me
Great book, it's about a white Pole fleeing from commies by travelling through all of Siberia amidst the civil war

Autobiographical, of course

If you wander too far into the taiga you will basically enter Russia in the stone age.

HNNNNNNNG jelly.

>jelly
are you sure about that?

It was pretty nice I guess. Nature was lovely, spent a lot of time outside. Winter was often too cold to do much outside and the Internet was incredibly slow, a bit annoying to have to wait so long to download shit.

Also, getting literally lynched for being gay was a bit unlucky, so I moved to America. Better there though

Cold and Vodka

I could see why he would be jelly, it's refreshing

Same. Siberia will be comfy when the oil money starts making it it's own dubais of the North.

>lynched for being gay
They didn't finish the job like they shoulda

pelts, reindeer, fish, minerals and genocide

:(

Unironically I was taunting them by flaunting my girlfriend and I probably deserved it.

Probably moving back once I can become a polar sheik. I want to LARP as 19th century nobility. I already speak French, so I can avoid embarrassing at the inevitable high class balls.

>Probably moving back once I can become a polar sheik. I want to LARP as 19th century nobility. I already speak French, so I can avoid embarrassing at the inevitable high class balls.
nice

Russia has been getting bigger since the USSR fell.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

Hands rub together.

>what goes on here?
Freezing weather, commieblocks, lots of vodka, soil forever contaminated by Soviet mining of lead, zinc and manganesium, among others.

It's one of the bleakest, most depressing places on Earth.

rightful Japanese clay

Um no. Majority who lives in Siberia and Far East are Ethnic European Russians.

is there any reason to think this will actually happen? I get the feeling that these scenarios, at least when they are brought up by American political analysts, are projection on their part considering the US is now a hodge-podge mix of atomising racial bingo bound only by economics

This is such fucking garbage. I genuinely hate you as a person almost as much as I hate the Russian people.

also while were on this topic:

eos.org/articles/climate-change-could-make-siberia-an-attractive-place-to-live

Elena Parfenova and her colleagues outlined their projections in a poster they presented at a joint conference of the Japan Geoscience Union and the American Geophysical Union in Chiba, Japan, in May. The researchers reported that by the 2080s, Siberia will have a milder climate, less permafrost coverage, and possibly vastly increased crop production. That would make the region much more appealing for settlers, they added.

“The potential threefold increase in population by the 2080s will depend also upon infrastructure development and other socioeconomic factors,” Pavel Groisman told Eos

If climate change produces an exodus of refugees seeking safer places to live, where will they go? Some researchers are considering real estate in a thinly populated area of the world where climate change might make living conditions improve: Siberia.

if Russians in Siberia double as a population, Russian total population may reach 200 million. could be interesting consequences for geopolitics and American dominance.

Russia got all its land because no one wants a frosthole for a country, only the east part of Russia is even habitable for society since the west gets so cold the water in pipes freeze solid.

you're making me want to invest in Russia, user. Think of all that habitable land... and oil.....

Good post

>is there any reason to think this will actually happen?
racist fanfiction

more fanfiction

if freed up methane hydrate from Russia's arctic seas and bays won't kill humanity, permafrost thawing will.

Even if we somehow survive invasion of viruses, mammoths and dinosaurs from permafrost the terrain will become even more inaccessible and inhospitable than before -- and that's saying something in context or Siberia.

>racist fanfiction
which part, the part about russia balkanizing, or me accusing American political pundits of idiocy in the face of our own rapid muttification?

because at least from my American perspective, it's hard to see how Americans have any connection to each other that is greater than the abstract and financial.

Different user. While I don't think it's feasible in any short span of time, it could happen, insofar as the russian political structure since soviet times has always put emphasis on it's "federated" nature.
It's mostly pomp, the idea of Russia and the former Soviet Union has a collection of semi-sovereign republics, but history is a surprising thing. The Soviet Constitutions always gave the constituent republics the right to secede, which was obviously bullshit and not really a thing that they could realistically do, until the breakup of the soviet union when constituent republics were *actually* citing it and seceding from the union.

as per definition, racism is a hatred on groups of individuals based on ethnic criteria

person who wants a certain country to fail and fall apart clearly wants it because it gives him an emotional pleasure based on his cultivated hatred of ethnicity that lives in that country.

Forests, natives, chinks, alcoholism and some Russians even.

Maybe he doesn't hate the Russian ethnicity, but, rather, Russian culture.
Also, do you seriously not dislike Russians?

Why would anyone dislike Russians?

They're weird, violent, were filthy Communists and still have Communist sympathies, hate us, I could go on.
I don't want to kill them all, but I wouldn't mind seeing their power diminish, and certainly don't want any near me.

>hurr muh russophobia rossiya always victim
every god damn time
everyone else is always butthurt)) but god fucking forbid anyone insult the glorious orthodox homeland

>soil forever contaminated by Soviet mining of lead, zinc and manganesium
Ah yes i forgot about the time the Soviets contaminated about 270,000 km2 of land with mining operations, pretty impressive.
>It's one of the bleakest, most depressing places on Earth.
Actually there is a lots of forests and biodiversity. If you are a fan of hiking it is a literal paradise. The Kamtchaka peninsula in particular has some amazing sights with all the volcanos and grassy fields

> hating X culture
irrational, emotional and extremely feminine activity

Culture is a thing that exists (or lives on and changes or is being born/reborn and forgotten). Culture is everything humans produce in it's entire breadth from the shit of a miner in Norilsk to Shostakovich's 7th. It's like physics -- it doesn't give a shit. It exists.

Claiming to hate such a wide and historically prolonged array of activities is a stupendously wrong statement and exposes complete vacuum of both self-reflection and world-understanding of a person.

>They're weird, violent
That's very subjective, a lot of Americans are plenty weird and violent, some more than Russians
>were filthy Communists
And you are filthy capitalists, same materialist shit really
>hate us
Just as much as you seem to hate them. And again it is on an individual basis, stop judging people on generalities you fucking collectivist cunt.

This is about the most pseudo-intellectual post I've seen all day.

it is like jimmy savile, I don't specifically hate the money he raised for charity, I guess, but I still have good reason to hate him as a whole

Rightful Korean clay

I would never have guessed that there was a sizable Jewish community in the Russian far east.

There isn't

>an investment that you won't see returns on for eighty years

>only 1 jew left

>0.1% of Ethnic Jews live in the JAO

No matter what happens with Russia, it can't balcanize, for the same reason China can't It may fall apart, but that would be warring states that reunify after a civil war, not some new nations. Except several fringe states, of course.

BTW, Putin has sick sense of humour.

Forgot pic

The US is more likely to balkanize

>only the east part of Russia is even habitable for society since the west gets so cold the water in pipes freeze solid.

Holy fucking shit, this is the most stupid thing I've ready today

>da, comrade, all nations in our glorious union can get a land of their own where they could thrive and safeguard their culture and language. here, take this republic in the middle of nowhere next to china lol

chinese colonisation and north korean slave labour

>Why would anyone dislike Russians?
lol

Finns, Balts and Ukrainians know why.

by that logic every Russian should hate Germans but for some reason they don't

Neo-Nazism is quite popular in Russia. A lot of Russians think they deserved a little beating for letting Bolsheviks win.

Not gonna happen

The US will probably implode long before Russia does, assuming it ever does. I'm honestly stunned the US managed to hold themselves together for so long.

burn in yakutsk and spent my childhood there.
a lot of snow and drunks.

Kikes were enemies of the state though. Better to isolate them.

>muh commies
Amiermutt identified.

>less than 1/3
You make it sound like there's quite a few people living there.
Of course less than 1/3 is bounded by 0 but is approx 1/3-1/4 correct?

Karafuto and Chishima belong to grorious Japan

My Grandma is a Finn from Karelia. She doesn't really like Russians.

>spend your entire history constantly attacking and conquering everyone around you, generally bringing misery and death everywhere
>"boo hoo why is everyone hating me, we're just liberating or totally defending ourselves, boo hoooooo rusophobiaaa"

Soon, just wait a couple of decades

Ethnic Russians are dying out almost as fast as the Japanese

Lmao, I’m Russian myself and even I understand why pretty much everyone hates us

They would in the 90s if it wasn't for the nukes

>hate us
If you're American it's probably deserved

I'm doing a master's thesis on this region AMA.

What's on that giant island near Japan? Looks comfy!

Who are the rightful owners of the Kuril Islands?

Whats the difference between a Krai and an Oblast?
I can guess that Republics are areas with higher autonomy populated by ethnic minorities, and that autonomous Oblasts/Okrugs are similar but with less autonomy.
But Krai and Oblast seem to just be different names for regular administrative units, what is the distinction?

Ainu until the Russians kicked them out. Now it's drunken Slavs living in rusty sheds, plus some salmon and bears.

Too bad they lost like 30k men trying to hold it in the russian civil war

To Japan but Russia need the islands to make a good defense of the Russian Far East against a hypothetical invasion by US/Japan

Sakhalin ? It's full of gas, foreign investments are huge in the region since the 1990s.

In the Far Eastern Federal District many regional entities have special status and special agreements with Moscow. The Kremlin's strategy is to keep control of strategic ressources and economic sectors in the region, like the diamond industry in Yakutia.

The Kamchatka is home to one of the most important SSBN base in Russia

gismeteo.ru/maps/feru/temp/

You survived being lynched?

Is there a copy I can find in english?

Is there a reason Russians didn't ever build up the local area to the levels seen in other well known resourceful areas?

I can understand the middle of nowhere that is middle Siberia not getting much development aside from mines but these pllaces are right in the thick of East Asian civilisation with Russians historically aiming to straight out annex Korea before Japanese beat them to it.
Making Vladivostok into a prosperous center of the area and building up a sizable metropolitan area around it doesn't seem all that far-fetched (think Helsinki) and yet the place is still very much a middle of nowhere even with Japan and China right next door being the world's second and third biggest economies worldwide.
Why don't the Russians show any signs of trying to capitalise on this extremely favorable position and instead keep the place an outback?

And yet it's still named after and designed for jews. That tells enough right there.

China will take it (Chinese puppet state) before Russkies do anything with it.

Nah. It was created as a Potemkin state (oblast) where Jewish exiles could resettle after gulag-ing it up for a while. Then it became a convenient place to store Jews so they could be purged more conveniently. Then Stalin died and everyone forgot about it. The end.

>Why don't the Russians show any signs of trying to capitalise on this extremely favorable position and instead keep the place an outback?
It's the obsession of Moscow since the middle of the 2000s and right now it's their priority number 1 (see APEC Russia 2012).

>admin.ved.gov.ru/uploads/booklet_ver59_eng_PREVIEW.pdf

>ddv.moscow/en/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Event-Program_Stand-of-API-Ministry-of-the-Russian-Far-East-Eng-1.pdf

>brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2449476/NUPI_Policy_Brief_8_17_Blakkisrud.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

The biggest problem for the region is an integration as a marginal area of the Asian economic sphere. Fall in the position of a regional economy based on hydrocarbons, which represents a danger for russian manufacturing capabilities such as the import of high added value goods like cars from Japan. See Dutch disease.

China was a poor shithole until the early 80s or. No need to worry or outcompete it. Russia's string of pearls east of its main European portion were all established before the commies took over... really makes you think.

Nice fanfic, because according to all the sources online Stalin created it so jews could have a homestate because they thought Israel would never happen

gutenberg.org/files/2067/2067-h/2067-h.htm

The last section isn't as good, but until then it's a pretty good read.

Right now the chinese immigration is low because of the very harsh climate. Manchuria is the rust belt of China, the situation should be fixed there before moving chinese interests beyond the Amur river.

So they are trying to do it, simply have issues establishing any worthwhile sectors aside from selling natural resources to the rest of East Asia?

Yes, the region development depend on foreign investments (Moscow can't save the region alone) but nobody outside of Russia want to invest outside of hydrocarbons