What happened that made Spain go from being one of the globap super powers to a mediocre shithole that is today...

What happened that made Spain go from being one of the globap super powers to a mediocre shithole that is today, no offense

Other urls found in this thread:

imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2017/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=64&pr.y=15&sy=2016&ey=2022&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=914,946,137,962,911,122,912,181,913,124,921,943,963,918,138,142,964,182,960,423,935,968,128,922,942,939,936,172,961,132,915,184,134,174,144,146,944,176,178,136,186,916,926,112,967,941&s=PPPPC&grp=0&a=
books.google.es/books?id=7QjXrv6E4UMC&pg=PA160&dq=english crown revenues 1600&hl=es&sa=X&ei=Qma9Uof4PIeLhQfM-IGwCQ#v=onepage&q=english crown revenues 1600&f=false
humanprogress.org/story/2249
discord.gg/zM4Hjn
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Constant fighting in European wars drained it of money and resources, especially since it often was on the losing side. Declining quality of the Habsburg monarchs (Charles II) and a war over the succession made it worse. Failure to modernise properly is probably to blame too. Loss of their colonies in the 1800s robbed it of most of its remaining prestige. It did better in the Franco era but since the crash has returned to shittiness

mediocre shithole? there´s just an economic crisis, the spanish peoples have endured much worse
plvs vltra

this.

It had a lower population than the great powers. If it had absorbed Portugal successfully sometime in the past I think it would have been considered a great power in the early 1900's.

Lost all their Jews

They wasted all the gold they got from the Empire on pointless wars and just being the Cucktholic church's attack dog.

You can blame either Napoleon or Fernando VII.

>shithole
The fuck are you talking about?

>It did better in the Franco era
How? Wasn't it still completely irrelevant beyond being tacitly allied with the Nazis?

they finally succumbed to the negative effects of the late middle ages, renaissance, reformation, enlightenment, industrial revolution, modernism and the sexual revolution. They were one of the few western European nations that did not have to deal with most of that because they never went through the individualism developed prior to the renaissance. So, Spain was able to focus on conquering the world and building up it's military prestige rather than contributing to intellectual fields like NW Europe and northern Italy did at the time. Spain had a few hiccups but they were pretty conservative even up till the 70's (relative to the rest of Europe for that time)

>It did better in the Franco era
I'd laugh, but apparently the Spanish are now as stupid as the Poles, which is just sad.

Their love of gold and unwillingness to expand the money supply through alternative means other then grabbing more and more gold.

Butthurt desu

Imported so much New World silver it crashed their economy, because no one really understood inflation yet. Then they got overrun by France under Napoleon, and started losing their colonies to revolutions. Final straw was in the 1890s, when they lost Cuba and the Philippines to the US. After that there was of course the Civil War, which is never helpful, followed by decades of an isolated dictatorship. Then they hitched their economy on a property bubble in the tourist zones on the south coast, which burst in 2008. They've been on the ropes since then.

Spain's actually doing better today than they were earlier in the 20th century, a lot has been modernised, and whilst a lot of money was wasted and disappeared due to corruption, a lot of it was actually invested in infrastructure, unlike Greece who wasted it on a submarine.

Charles II
Spanish Succession
The vietnam-tier war with Napoleon
Civil War

This.
All the gold and silver they took from America basically caused the value of currencies to collapse since nobody could into economic theory at the time.

>12th largest GDP in the world
>one of the largest HDI in the world
>third strongest military in the EU
>home to the world second most spoken language
>dominates the only relevant sport in the world
>second largest tourism industry in the world
>europes leading power in wind and solar energy while not being retarded and still using nuclear, gas, coal etc
>most extensive high-speed rail network in Europe, and the second-most extensive in the world

Not too bad for a mediocre shithole

When in doubt, blame Fernando VII. No exceptions.

>third strongest military in the EU

How'd you figure? UK/France joint second?

Jejeje Spain shithole paella paella toros sangria!

the best part is where the paella comes from the freezer to the microwave to your table, and the sangria is shit tier; toros are ok though

It's UK-France-Spain-...-Germany

The Bundeswehr is completly underfunded and most of its units aren't ready for battle

Yeah and what about Italy, Greece, Poland etc

The reconquista

The spanish millitary is pretty irrelevant today, but then every european millitary is irrelevant today besides UK and France

>Nuclear
>Retarded
>Wind and solar
>Not retarded

In Spain? No.

A large part of it's effectively a desert.

hmm...

Because they had low population in comparsion with neighbours.

At its peak they had something around 30 mil people in Iberian union + colonies. Only 9 mil pf them were from Spain. In the same time France had huge population of 20 millions, and perfect conditions for agriculture.

So they were literally raped by France and North European protestants.

looks like a desert to me, then again all of continental europe is a fucking joke forest-wise.

Knew people will only talk about calling it mediocre shithole instead of the point OP was trying to make. It was probably in top 2-3 vountries in 16th century and look at it now. Thats all

It was always a mediocre shithole, it just had a struck of luck finding gold and silver in America, but them, being the absolute retards they are, didn't knew what to do with all that money and in the end they just spiraled into an inflation crisis, combined with everything else mentioned ITT.

You get out of a crisis just to fall right into another one Sanchez.

Irrelevant, but it wasn't poor or in a constant state of civil war like usual.

They're not poor now but they're poor for European standards.

Got fucked hard by france; and her colonies were invaded or influenced into independence by the anglo.

>Spain was not poor under Franco
>Spain is poor now compared to Europe
It's actually the opposite of what you said retard.

The absolute state of Veeky Forums

Spain has closed the gap with the European average since Franco died. Now you don't see hundreds of thousands of Spaniards migrating to France or the UK or across the Ocean as it was common until the 1980s.

KYS

Nice totally credible meme charts that still show that Spain is in fact the poorest country in Europe.

>Irrelevant, but it wasn't poor
>They're not poor now

Absolute state of Veeky Forums, that you can't even comprehend what you read.

Silver never made 1/5 of the national budget and Spain was more advanced than most of Europe forover XII centuries and certainly was the most advanced country in Europe when they discovered America.Btw silver nor gold is money brainlet.They are comodities

>Spain is in fact the poorest country in Europe
Spain is literally above the EU average.

>Spain is 12 centuries old

>unlike Greece who wasted it on a submarine.
tip top kek

>Nice totally credible meme charts
Bwahahaha cry harder

>Spain is in fact the poorest country in Europe.
GDP per capita on par with the average of the richest 15 European countries does not make it so

>you can't even comprehend what you read.
You said Spain wasn't poor under Franco. (It was)
Then you said today Spain is poor for European standards. (It isn't)

You got BTFO on both counts, pretty simple.

Why do brits flock there every summer if it's so bad?

cheap alcohol n party
>magalouf
nuff said

>le ebin cry meme to deviate the fact I haven't shown my sources

>GDP per capita on par with the average of the richest 15 European countries does not make it so

First of all, meme measure, second of all, source.

>You said Spain wasn't poor under Franco. (It was)

It literally wasn't.

>Then you said today Spain is poor for European standards. (It isn't)

It literally is one of the poorest countries in Europe next to Italy. Unemployment is trough the roof, this is all common knowledge, but if you keep screaming maybe it will stop being true Pedro.

The region of Spain has been the most or amongst the most developed in Euope since before the birth of christ and Castile was the most developed kingdom in terms of centralization and taxation in all of Europe for over 4 centuries.In the XVII century the city of Burgos collected as much taxes on its own than the royal treasury of England for example.Even the Dutch had a less advanced fiscal system than the crown of Castile in the XVII century.If anything Spain was too ahead of its time as an empire and when overpopulation and the plagues kicked in the sustainable debt became unsustainable due the drop of fical revenues.

Not him but shou your sources retard. I am waiting.

1/10

imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2017/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=64&pr.y=15&sy=2016&ey=2022&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=914,946,137,962,911,122,912,181,913,124,921,943,963,918,138,142,964,182,960,423,935,968,128,922,942,939,936,172,961,132,915,184,134,174,144,146,944,176,178,136,186,916,926,112,967,941&s=PPPPC&grp=0&a=

If anyone is interested on fiscality of the XVII century people should read this book.Spain was punching way above its weight in the XVI and XVII century due a really advanced bureacracy and fiscal system for its time.The only country that could compete with Spain in revenue per head were the Dutch who had implemented a very similar fical system to that of Spain thanks to Charles V.
books.google.es/books?id=7QjXrv6E4UMC&pg=PA160&dq=english crown revenues 1600&hl=es&sa=X&ei=Qma9Uof4PIeLhQfM-IGwCQ#v=onepage&q=english crown revenues 1600&f=false

I was about to link the same site that shows a clear massive gap between the 5 richest countries in Europe and Spain when you don't draw your arbitrary limit exactly where Spain is.

Cousin shagging

So was it Napoleon that ultimately fucked Spains chance for a comeback?

We already have this same thread a fuckton of times.

>be a shithole
>colonize new world and steal incas gold, further, be ruled by superior germanics
>run out of inca shekels
>run out of superior germanic monarchs
>become a shithole again

You said

>they're poor for European standards
It's not, they are above the EU average

>it wasn't poor [under Franco]
It was, their GDP per capita was much lower in relation to other European countries or the rest of the world in general, as pic and link related prove.

humanprogress.org/story/2249

1973 Spain (when Franco left power) was barely ahead of Poland, modern Spain is much more ahead.

Then you said

>It literally is one of the poorest countries in Europe
Which is false as proven by the IMF link

Everything you've said ITT so far has been proven wrong. Maybe you should crawl back to your /pol/ safespace where you can wank off to pictures of Franco with your fellow retards instead of trying to spead bullshit on this board where people can actually counter you with facts.

The very sources you posted show it's literally Eastern-Europe Balkan tier.

"""""""""""""superior""""""""""""" german monarchs were the ones that bankrupted them in the first place with all of the retarded wars.

remind me what happen to countries when m*ds takeover them in modern era
protip: they become the most lazy, unproductive and arab like countries that europe has ever seen
you guys became arabs, just like greeks and south italians, doesn't helps that you, spaniards, were also castrated by napoleon

The map in shows 1973.
This map in shows the present.

Go back to /b/

Also I've never even mentioned the EU, Europe isn't the EU.

this map draws an arbitrary limit at 30,000 when there are about 20 countries that surpass Spain by over 20,000, you are literally closer to Greece than you are to Denmark. You are competing against Malta and Cyprus and barely above Italy.

the map doesn't really tell me anything, it's another generalization. If you look up the specific rankings and numbers on the site you'll see that Poland has also improved greatly since then and the gap is proportionally similar (except that now Spain is on top instead of Poland, which is admittedly a great improvement, if you are really bragging about beating Poland, which has gone down proportionally compared to most other countries since then for fairly obvious reasons).

Actually nevermind, I was looking at 1950s numbers, 1973 Spain was waaaaay better, better than Poland and actually possibly closer to the rest of Europe than it is now, tho I've only had a quick look at it.

You can use whatever criteria you want, the fact is that Spain is:
1. Wealthier now than under Franco, both in relative and absolute terms
2. Not the poorest country in Europe
3. Not even poor "by European standards", it's within the average level for the continent and the EU

Next time don't spread bullshit or learn to express yourself because what you said above was empirically false.

The Habsburgs and the Church drained the Spanish coffers.

1. Almost every country is richer now in absolute terms, Spain is actually slightly poorer in relative terms (at least when compared to the rest of Europe, there are probably better ways to gauge that), but negligibly so, so I'll just say it's in the same place it was back then.

2. I apologize for saying it was "the" poorest country in Europe, I merely meant to imply that it's "one" of the poorest countries in Europe. What was going trough my mind when I said "the" poorest country in Europe was actually the poorest in Western Europe, but I didn't clarify, so my mistake.

3. It's on the same level of the Eastern European/Balkan countries, which is more often than not considered the poor part of Europe, it's actually exactly midway between Greece and Germany.

One last correction.

Spain is actually 1% richer now, than in 1973, not 1% poorer like I originally tough.

So yes, I guess you are right, Spain is slightly richer now than in 1973.

Franco brought an end to instability and modernised the economy in many respects. People assume that Spain was still a very backwards and poor country because Franco endorsed a very heavy involvement of religion in the daily lives of the Spanish people and ruled as an authoritarian regime, so naturally most people who are liberal and atheist fedora tippers typify the whole country as backward with no nuance. The reality is that there was a Spanish 'economic miracle' in the late 1960s and early 1970s. By the time democracy returned to Spain, they were a largely modernised country. Things were still rather good until the crash which burst the bubble that had been growing up to that point.

Spain WAS an unlikely superpower for quite a while but as the Habsburgs declined in vigor and the colonies woke up, "whoops where'd my armada go?", and so forth, Spain took a turn for the worse.

1) hated for colonial policies; they were hitler before hitler, see "Black Legend"
2) btfo their own economy with inflation
3) very poor infrastructure
4) limited industrialization and financial development
5) non-dynamic populace, no Calvanist rigor
6) idiological battle ground
7) uncooperative regional elites, weak central gov
8) limited access to foreign markets

a shame. spanish knights were famous for being based and yuros need a strong anchor at al-andalus because that shit's coming again someday down the line.

Trafalgar.

youre welcome

>last part
No

what is Spanish-Dutch wars?
what is wars betwen Spain and England?
what is Franco-Spanish wars?

They were one of the world's fastest growing economies after the war.

1.- Enduring 2 centuries of permanent warfare in Europe.
2.- Small population, which remained at 9 million for 400 years, due migration to America.
3.- Totally missed out on industrial revolution.

Only about 130.000 settlers moved to new Spain between 1500 and 1800, and that's counting a bunch of Italians.

You'd think that such hot-blooded people would breed more.

>You'd think that such hot-blooded people would breed more.

The population growth on the Iberian Peninsula was dented by two things:

1. Insane number of priests, monks and nuns, ie. not-breeding population.
2. Lots of diseases coupled by poor sanitation. Spain inherited lots of cities from the Arab, Visigothic and even Roman eras. In fact, it was among the most urbanised countries in Europe. It was initially beneficial, because Spain had existing merchant class and money economy. However, it also made it hard to implement the latest inventions in the field of sanitation. In words, Spain's cities were disease-ridden shitholes while sanitation in other parts of Europe improved.

Just look at France, UK and Germany they're heading that way too, I would say allowing women to vote was a mistake

Not rape for sure

Iberians women aren't very fertile, that and that the men used to kill between themselves for they honra or the drop a hat didn't help either.

The gold they stole was cursed

Constant conflict between two ways of thinking:

1. The right, they miss Franco so much and want to recover Una, Grande, y Libre (PP is this)
2. The left, they hate Spain so much they want to delete it forever (Podemos is this)

Majority of Spain is second movement: they hate Spain a lot, they say Spain is guilty of all that's bad in the world, and they want to divide it in micro-countries

Basically, what Otto von Bismark said: 'I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success.'' Only that this time, self-destruction of Spain is little by little getting some success

>I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success.
That would be Russia

Can you really blame the Spaniards for thinking that when it's the common narrative that's been propagated around for the last 200 years or so?

Spain never did nothing. They attained power during ww1 by remaining neutral and then stupid wars declared by stupid monarchs kept draining resources out, then they kept doing nothing, lost all colonies and then fascism slowed down even more the evolution of the country and since fascism never really ended here we are.
España está jodida compañero, tenemos más deuda que grecia. Joder si esque lo único que tenemos es días con sol y playa, el resto oscila entre mediocre y puta mierda.

You are not fascists anymore, your country is another demsoc cuckstate.

>Majority of Spain is second movement
Sure m8. That's why Podemos is sinking like crazy after defending the catalan meme referendum. Keep dreaming :^)

>falling for the economic growth meme
The fastest growing economies today are African countries. They're still all shitholes.

Failed to properly develop their south american holdings
I believe that if they tried to give more incentive to move to the colonies, cut down on inter breeding between spainards and natives/slaves by importing women by the boatload and giving incentive to make babies in wedlock they could have eventually equal france by the napoleon era

Spain still has 2 (possibly one?) aircraft carriers.
And some good counter terrorism experience

>Spain so cucked their national motto is from a German king

Every time

>g*rman king
Can you imagine being this fucking retarded?

discord.gg/zM4Hjn

Come talk to the Spaniards

>Charles V
>Not German

Found the mad spaniard

>tenemos más deuda que grecia.
Y un PIB 4 veces más grande,Mazarino.

South America became a shithole afterwards not during the colonial period.

Charles is 1/2 Spanish,1/4 French and 1/4 German. You can call him whatever the fuck you want. He was an amerimutt before amerimutts were even a thing

It no longer has anything of value