Is it even possible to live comfortably as a single person for less than $3000/month in the US?

Is it even possible to live comfortably as a single person for less than $3000/month in the US?

>Housing $1500
>Transportation $300
>Food $300
>Health insurance $400
>Misc. spending + saving $500

I'm not talking about how to live frugally because that significantly decreases your quality of life. I mean actually living a decently comfortable lifestyle, it doesn't seem possible to do without spending at least $3000 every month.

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/heres-what-the-typical-1-bedroom-apartment-costs-in-50-us-cities-2016-6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I could easily do it, but then again I never made $3000 a month.

>housing
My 2bdr Apartment, non-subsidized, in a good part of town is $450 a month.

Get a motorcycle. Total insurance/gas for me monthly is $50.

Health insurance is a meme.

Food is $200-350 depending on how much I eat out.

Misc spending $100.

I love a VERY happy life. Stop being a materialistic cunt.

In order to even have $3000, you'd have to make about $4000/month before taxes. So really something like a $50k salary seems to be the bare minimum to have decent quality of life in America.

Spend less on candles.

I live in south east asia since 2 years and it's the dream.

> Spending $2k a month
> hot girls, no fat burgers
> weather
> diving, snorkeling, yachting
> food is awesome
> no tax for my bitcoin payouts lol, I just sell them in Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh for .99%

>Leave your goddamn country once in a while burgers

$450 will get you 1 bedroom in a shithole of a shared apartment here in South Florida. I agree OP estimates are a bit overstated. I make like 38k gross a year and I can't afford to live alone 'comfortably' in my area. I need 1-2 roomates, seems standard as well.

Well I guess you must live in a really poor area because the median rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the US is $1200 right now. Problem is that poor areas are usually populated with violent niggers or other kinds of criminals. Also, health insurance is a significant cost for everybody. People who have it paid for by their employer may not notice it, but at least $400 of what would otherwise go to you is going towards paying for your health insurance every month.

those are city numbers
you can live in a brand new apartment with 1 roommate for less than $600 in a majority of the US or alone for $800

That's exactly what I'm saying though. Having to live with roommates is a huge hit to your quality of life and it isn't something you would choose to do if you could afford not to.

Housing is only that expensive in places like Seattle and other big cities. It would be more around 600 for normal cities.

normie meme reee

Most of the economic strength of the US is centered in or around major metropolitan areas, and that's where most of the jobs are. Even if you live in the suburbs of those cities, you're still going to end up paying roughly $1500/month for rent+utilities, unless you choose to live in some poor crime infested area, which is not comfortable living.

unless you choose a roomate... and then it becomes a positive and gets cheaper.

Nope, median rent for a 1 bedroom in the 50 largest cities is at least $1200.

>businessinsider.com/heres-what-the-typical-1-bedroom-apartment-costs-in-50-us-cities-2016-6

You're still sharing a place with another person who isn't your wife or girlfriend. In no way is that better than having your own apartment.

Seems like you're trying to prove a point more than look for answers. If a studio apartment is 2-3000 a month in huge cities and much cheaper in normal cities what would that do to the median? I'm surprised I have to explain this on Veeky Forums of all places.

It's actually more like $5000 dollars a month desu. We are all just lying to you.

I see you're unfamiliar with the concept of having friends.

Are you a US expat? Do you work or live off the money you brought with you? How much do I need before I can go into expat tier retirement?

>he doesn't own his house
>he owns a car
>he doesn't buy his food from farms
>he needs health insurance
I Lol'd

I have a fantastic life. I live on $0 a month. its called being a neet and living with your rich grandparents

A studio apartment in no way qualifies as living comfortably. You seem to be missing the point of what I'm trying to say. Of course anyone can try to live frugally and find a cheap apartment in a shitty neighborhood and eat unhealthy crap every day, but I'm just pointing out what the bare minimum is to live a decent lifestyle as a single person on your own in the US.

Sounds good. I'm going to move in with you mate.

>what is mortgage + property taxes + maintenance
>what is auto insurance + gas + maintenance
>what is living in modern society and not anywhere near a farm
>what is not going bankrupt or dying when you get hit by a car because you can't afford the $1 million in hospital costs

>Health insurance
Literally a scam
Housing could be lower.
Transportation really depends on where you live.
Food I guess is about right.

You can find good deals in some cities but honestly if you're paying much less than $1200 you're going to be living in an undesirable building or neighborhood, or city or all 3. Cities that are 'affordable' have no local industry or job market and are filled with retirees and middle aged drunks.

>>Health insurance
>Literally a scam
You sound underage.

I inherited a $1.8M dollar property in NYC that nets me 4k every month and that's peanuts. You need 6-8k a month to live decently in a major american city.

Ok. If you say so.

Living the dream

I mean, if you already have $4k in income every month, it doesn't take that much to get to $6k. Sounds like you can live comfortably without ever needing to work again.

>move upstate
>live on the property earnings
>be relatively rich as fuck

I've spent no more than $900/month my whole adult life. Get out of Jew York.

>Housing $1500
>Transportation $300
>Food $300
>Health insurance $400

No, it isn't comfortable. The system is rigged to suck you dry.

The only way out is sheer guts and creativity until the bitter end which is you being chased through a forest by a band of cannibals as ash rains from the sky.

Friends stink and occupy your bathroom when you need it. It's ok once in a while, but I wouldn't make it a habit.

> inherited a $1.8M dollar property in NYC that nets me 4k every month and that's peanuts. You need 6-8k a month to live decently in a major american city.

Study user's comment.

We live in a FIRE economy. Finance, insurance and real estate basically dictate public policy. The vast majority of the wealth is generated through rent extraction. The aging boomers you see everywhere hold 90% of the wealth.

Figure out some way to pull cuckbucks out of old people's wallets and you have a future.

Join the military

Old people generally don't like to spend money though. I also have like $5 million coming to me in inheritance, but it probably won't be until I'm old, because I don't expect my parents to die anytime soon.

Housing: $30
Transportation: $10
Food: $100
Health insurance: free
Health (beyound insurance): $15
Misc.spending: $120

>$300 a month for transportation
Wut? I live in LA and I pay no where near that.

how does me inheriting a property mean that we are in a fire economy? We are most definitely not in a fire economy right now, and real estate has always been good to be in.

my parents aren't dying anytime soon either but they're beginning to transfer all the wealth over to me so I can accomplish much more than the average person while I'm young. This property was just the beginning.

It's very stupid what your parents are doing, if they trusted you and gave you access to their wealth you could be worth 30-50 million in 20 years. It's incredibly easy to make money when you already have large amounts of it. I asked my parents for 90k to put into crypto and I have made 2 million already in a year. Talk to them about it if you aren't a larping faggot.

I'm in the Cincinnati Ohio area, the following example would describe my expenses if I bought the 2 bedroom condo I was looking at, 30k down, 90k total price, 20 minutes from the city.

all /month
>housing $760 - includes utilities, HOA, internet and mortgage, prop. taxes
>Gas/insurance/tax $190 - full coverage & car is paid off but add $200 if not
>food $200 if I manage my eating.
>Health insurance $400 unsure about this - still 24, covered by parents
>misc spending $100

totals $1650
or 1850 with a car payment.

>Figure out some way to pull cuckbucks out of old people's wallets and you have a future.

Indeed. I run a high end remodeling business for a living and >90% of my most profitable customers are boomers. It takes a while to build a reputation, but then you can charge them anything you want because the fuckers know they will die anyways.

professionell poker player for the last 8 years, but 2 years ago I discovered bitcoin and eth and well, you know the rest
again, leave your country once in a while, it's so so worth it

It depends on your quality of living and what, specifically, you mean by "comfortably." For the past year-and-a-half, I've lived what I would consider quite comfortably off of ~$1,200 a month in a southern urban area.

>tfw my rent is €240 a month for a 3bedroom apartment

Rent, electric, utilities $1000
No car or commute or health insurance.

Spend money on Uber and food. There we go.

I live on $2900 in veteran's disability. It depends on where you live.

I live in a small town in the southern United States. I live quite comfortably.

I live in NYC, and make $2500 mo. I spend $700 on rent (living with roommate), about $300 on foot and $400 on other shit ( i have a girlfriend ).

Other than that, I walk to work and have no transportation costs. Also my medical insurance is paid for by family plan (at least for now).

All in all I get by great. I have around $1200 savings every month which all goes into crypto.

its got nothing to do with you ya narcissistic fuck and hes right

>Housing 800
>Transportation 300
>Food 600
>Other 500
Total 2200/mo

Yeah get a roommate. Tah dah $600/month.

Stop being a prissy poorfag who stays poor.

This, this, this.

>says Tah dah
>calls other people prissy

It really depends where you are living. $1500 won't even get you a decent apartment in NYC; upstate it will get you three of them.

Also in Cinci area but paying $800 for a 1br apt. Where you find that condo deal? Which burb?

In KY actually. And yeah, it's a mortgage so it's a bit different than renting. I'm renting a 2 bedroom right now for $900 in KY. The condo would have been bought with a $60,000 mortgage which would have ~$400 payments. It's in crestview hills KY. If it were rented out, I could get 1k - 1.2k for it.

So the rest of the 800 is just HOA, property tax, and utilities.

Hey I know where that's at! Nice! ~30 mins from me. Pretty decent area. KY seems pretty based as far as cost of living is concerned.

£450 for rent (1-2bed w/garden)
£60 gas/heating
£40Electricity
£28 Water
£21 Council Tax

Minimum wage pays around £1300 take home for a 40 hour week. Most people earn more. Food is cheaper in the UK too.

TL;DR: Move to the UK?

Kidding, find somewhere cheaper to live you weirdo, move state if you have to.

>Health insurance $400
Just noticed that. Ouch.

same here but i don't save anything (i have a decent chunk of early coins)
i also don't have health insurance. i spend a lot on food though.

depends on where you live.. In Michigan you can get a really nice house for way less than 1500 a month and live comfortably.. but where I live currently you can barely get a nice house for 3000 a month.

>$400 health insurance
Would rather fuking die

Well they say after $65k you don't get much happier. That obviously depends on the person because some people really like money, but it does seem that $50-65k is the sweet spot for comfortable living plus having extra money for investments and hobbies. Maybe someday I'll know what that all feels like. I've never even had $2000 at one time in my life.

4k in Canada is 2k take home. I quit a decent job to make "a lot less" in cash. I'd rather "make less" and not pay for chuggs and ODSP niggers to get their handouts every Thursday at the end of the month.

All money besides expenses goes into BTC. Usually about 20-40% of my income every week. I've been thinking about starting a political movement here in Canada that involves not voting and evading taxes to protest our Zimbabwe tier government. if enough people do it they'd be begging for our money. I'll probably wind up in Jail...but really I would be winning. By the time I get out my BTC would be worth 100k each

im 26, live with my dad and my brother in a big city in the uk, pay my dad around £200 a month on rent which i can make daytrading in a 2-3 days, still have money for whores and booze etc.

$3000 a month here could get yourself a nice swanky condo in the heart of the city and still have enough to spend on your vices/hobbies.

>Housing $1500
lol just live at home. $0. unless you have shitty parents
>Transportation $300
parents car. $0 and pay for gas which is like $50 a month tops. what do babyboomers use their fucking cars for besides work?
>Food $300
this is an understatement. HEALTHY food would cost a bit more. i'd wager on $500 a month. if not, enjoy your xenoestrogens, shitty plastics, and literal poison.
>Health insurance $400
lol merica
you'll save much more with this, but you should still invest it in memecoins :^)

It's all relative to the cost of living for your area. But $40k is under the national household average, so why should you expect to be able to live comfortably?

Location location location.

Break down of my budget. I live 1.5 hours from downtown Seattle in a rural area but still close enough to not be in butt fuck nowhere yet far enough for 4 cars in a row to be considered traffic.

>After tax salary $4200 (bare minimum)
I usually bring in $1000-3000 after tax in overtime a month because I'm an introvert with no social life, that goes towards student loans.
> housing $800 includes mortgage, HOA, tax, insurance
> $200 food
> $100 cellphone
> $100 gas
> $100 whole life policy
> $300 vehicle loan
> $450 motorcycle loan
> $100 cable/internet/utilities

Health insurance is zero deductible and paid in full by employer. Currently just riding out my pension and forced investment account work provides so I don't see it come out of my check it's before.

Rest goes to debt.

Once debt is paid off in 2 years and as salary increases at least 20%, I will probably have $3000 to $5000 a month extra if I continue living the way I am. Comfortable but not extravagant.

It can be done, obviously location is key and even then you'll never be happy I still feel like a poor fat cuz no lambo.

I live on 1K. Electricity bill is the only thing that costs a lot and that's because of all my chink l3+s.

See I find that hard to believe. Are you not poor in a ditch at $65,000? Sure.

But that doesn't leave you with much "extra" and that limits your options.

Id rather make $200,000 And have the excess in the bank, retirement accounts, insurance. We live in a country (USA) where for the middle class there is no saftey net. You are one fucking lightning strike hitting you away from being a ward of the state.

I'm not sure if the cutoff is 65k, I thought it was higher last time I heard of this. But it probably has to do with your liabilities and responsibilities increasing when you make more money. The further you get into comfortably middle-class, you usually have more people relying on you (which you now can afford to take care of) like elderly parents, children, a spouse. Basically it's lifestyle inflation that only improves your quality of life so much.

Housing in any but the 3 most expensive cities in the US is available for way under $1500. I spend $1700/month on housing living in one of the more expensive parts of Chicago and close enough to everything to not need a car. You can easily find a less trendy place in the city for

For most, I don't think the folks on here are most.

My parents are financially secure. I don't plan on having kids, I dont plan on getting married, I am an introvert who sits at home and reads or goes to the gym when I'm not on Veeky Forums.

Without picking up overtime or doing contracts on the side I'm looking at $120,000 salary 3 years from now on projected path at my current employer.

I literally can live on $3000 a month if you factor out debt which will be all paid off by then.

I'm going to have to max out my retirement accounts and start buying crypto if I'm not too late.

I have a bit now but debt comes first.

Hoping to be in lambo land here soon. Then eventually suicide via cocaine overdose off a hookers ass crack in a Dubai hotel.

Full on larper confirmed.

69 confirms.

Favorite position with my real girl doll.