Why did crime spike in the 60s?

Crime in America spiked sometime in the mid 60s. This subject fascinates me as there does not seem to be a consensus. What do you guys think? Was it the leaded gasoline?

Other urls found in this thread:

scholar.harvard.edu/files/jfeigenbaum/files/feigenbaum_muller_lead_crime.pdf
amazon.com/Freakonomics-Economist-Explores-Hidden-Everything/dp/0060731338/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517166417&sr=1-1&keywords=freakanomics book
cato.org/blog/immigration-crime-what-research-says
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rise of Dinduism. Niggers learned that they could get gibsmedats by chimping out and then promising not to chimpout instead of actually working.

jesus christ /pol/

>Dinduism
>Niggers
>gibsmedats
>chimping out
Gee, you certainly write like an independent thinker. How do you manage to express yourself so eloquently?

I'll dump some of my NY in the 70s photos

comfy

couldnt help but laugh

my hypothesis is that it mainly had to do with the economy slowing down and the drugs that were being flown over from vietnam and pumped into shitty neighborhoods especially in NY. poverty leads to crime and there's always poverty because someone has to lose for someone else to win.

lmao this shit look like Freeside in NV

*teleports behind you*

you're giving it too much credit
it looks like Westside

We started giving blacks more freedom

Sounds legit

you guys think this guy is still alive?

I have purged my mind of all cut-cock influences, which has freed up my proverbial pen to write the redpilled wisdom that people need to hear.

nah he's already ded in that picture m8

Joey Diaz and Joe Rogan circa 1973

The decline of domestic blue-collar jobs.

Jesus Christ them's some specimens. No wonder Dylan was considered a heart throb, he at least looked like a modern downy.

dat bulge though

poeple were just ugly in general back then.

Watts riots

user, I....

i kekked

It was all the drugs people were doing retard.
Coke and heroin were huge up until the 90s when shit finally calmed down a bit.

>Was it the leaded gasoline?
It probably had a lot to do with it. The first time I heard about this hypothesis, it sounded ridiculous, but the more I looked into it, the more sense it started making. The were obviously a lot of social factors going on at the same time, but it seems very likely that the high amount of lead around everyone made things worse.

Leaded petrol corresponds with the rise in crime in other countries as well not just the US.
We've known for hundreds of years that lead makes you more violent and we also know lead decreases IQ and decreases mental development in children.

Desegregation.

The pill.

Thats the time the african savage wasnt caged in a segregated area.

Woah, why the racism?

Nigger rights

Look at all those facts and statistics!
Oh wait, it's just a brain wojak because you're too retarded to come up with anything else.

Television, heroin, leaded gasoline, and the collapse of traditional urban political machines.

Before the 60s, most cities had a party political system that would hook people up with jobs and political connections. These systems broke down in the sixties due to desegregation and middle class flight to the suburbs

Economic collapse and crime became a positive feedback loop by the late sixties, where rioting and increased crime would lead the middle class to flee cities to suburbs, which would deprive the working class of precious jobs, which would make inner cities even poorer and more violent.

Flight to the suburbs was certainly part of it: The poor were left in the city with little or no leadership.

Also, from the mid-60s to early 80s, baby boomers were going through adolescence and early adulthood; the prime crime-prone years.

fpbp

it's funny the only reactions are
>ew racism
>ha I said pol

nigssss

Chronic lead poisoning is like a perfect shitstorm. It makes you retarded, so you're less likely to get shit done in life, but rather make a string of idiotic choices, and it also makes you violent, causing you to chimp out hard when confronted with the consequences of your moronic decisions.
I have no idea why wasn't it banned earlier. Heck, people as far back as Antiquity knew it was terrible shit. Vitruvius, the great Roman architect, warned against using it in water pipes.

10/10

Do you people actually think in buzzwords or what

>delusional /pol/tard once again ignores graphs and reality

Nem diggers...!

user even if you believe that and aren't baiting, that's the 70s. It doesn't explain the 60s.

I wonder if lead in the waterpipes and wallpaint also played into it

also the 60s marked the real beginning of urban decline. Middle class whites left cities for the suburbs. Which basically gutted cities of tax/economic base.

Maybe the logic was "but it's in the car, not our drinking water, it's not the same thing!"

/pol/ ruined Veeky Forums

100000%

>my hypothesis is that it mainly had to do with the economy slowing down and the drugs that were being flown over from vietnam and pumped into shitty neighborhoods

this, the same thing happened in australia with the americans on r and r. The popular narrative is that the americans introduced prostitutes and heroin into the area around their base in sydney when the reality is it had been a shady shithole for at least a hundred years already.

Why did the city and state government let the supposed "market capital of the world" such a shithole.

>T. tyrone dawson mc gibsmedat
gb 2 reddit faggot

1970s NYC Tourist leaflet

Stay black cocksucka

this shit's insane.

Your /pol/ is leaking hard.

I wonder if people will have threads like this about SF in 20-30 years. Its a truly insane city.

Abortion wasn't legalized.

You have thousands of unwanted children, you have thousands of people whom feel unwanted in society.

>What do you guys think? Was it the leaded gasoline?

It seems like such a goofy hypothesis but when you start to look at the evidence...

scholar.harvard.edu/files/jfeigenbaum/files/feigenbaum_muller_lead_crime.pdf

Obviously the 50's were just the shortlived glorydays after the war, and the truth about state of the homeland was revealed in the 60's.

Also, your dumbass government went to Korea and declared cold war against communism. People subsequently got drafted into Vietnam and rebelled.

Leaded paint

I'm on your side but

>graphs and realities

Drugs, economic downturn, relocation of populations to urban areas, integration, which caused upheaval in the city populations, resulting in further economic abandonment of the inner city, the shift of society from established cultural norms to more modern culture.

Niggers and Jews, basically. Yeah...

That's more the 70's, though. Along with all the serial killers. The 60's were more the foundation for all the stuff I listed, which reared its head in the 70's.

if you want everyone to be polite and politically correct then reddit might be more your thing

The great irony is that leaded gasoline causes more exposure than lead pipes, since pipes eventually get coated with a layer of oxide (which nevertheless flakes off regularly due to erosion), while the microscopic particles from gasoline would be more likely to pass through the relatively coarse water filters of the day.
And, with the boom in auto ownership and lax emissions standards, the ground would've been soaked in car exhaust fumes.
Also, all the lead-based paints and inks would've had a notable impact as well.

Civil Disobedience and distrust in the authorities due to the Vietnam, the related rise in heroin usage, increased targeting of the Mafia leading to instability in the organised crime world, increasing corruption of the NYPD.

Interesting take.

Good times

My dad told me about junkies swinging from fire escapes like monkeys holding their loot like it was the most normal thing in NYC

Reminds me of the halting sites in Ireland and the UK where pikeys live with their hundreds of children

I think it was just all the kids that grew up post ww2 without a dad finally reached adulthood, plus tie in new interesting drugs and an anti establishment culture

/thread

soviet propaganda towards the lower classes

amazon.com/Freakonomics-Economist-Explores-Hidden-Everything/dp/0060731338/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517166417&sr=1-1&keywords=freakanomics book

Baby Boom resulted in too many excess people.

>50's
>glorydays
There were two recessions and an expensive and pointless war in the 50s.

If anything wouldn’t birth control mean less unwanted kids growing up to be criminals?

Cities were overrun by liberated niggers.

I don't have any statistics or facts, but abortion is probably more of a middle class thing. Lower class people probably make up the majority of abortions, but they still end up out breeding the higher classes, thus offsetting any difference abortions might have made.

>stopping the commie chinks from overrunning all of Korea
>creating one of our strongest allies
>pointless

>the economy is a zero-sum game

>it was dem damn hippies
I wish this was a joke but it is true
Quoting myself btw

Crime has been dropping constantly since the 70’s

heroin had already been a thing in the US since the 1950's, and probably long before then.

I'd advise some level of reading about the drug use in the Beat movement and among beatniks.

thanks for that contribution to why crime spiked in the 60s, user. It definitely wasn't implied by the question itself.

both of these say different things and neither have sources.

You also have to factor in liberalized immigration. The foreign-born population is around 13% today, compared to 5% in the 60s (It was around 13% from 1860 to 1920).
Historically first-generation immigrants really are less likely to commit crimes, particularly homicide, even when you control for income, education, etc. I'd speculate there's something about having to go through the process of moving across the world that makes you less likely to fuck it all up.
cato.org/blog/immigration-crime-what-research-says

>not a consensus
>muh repeating posts of niggers
You asked, nigger.

This sounds like an objective and nuanced explanation. Thanks for your input.

Fuckin hell its like playing Dying Light

Americans really have no idea what absolute shitholes their cities are. Not only they are by far the worst in the western world, they're unironically worse than warzones in the 3rd world. St. Louis has a higher homicide rate than Baghdad.

nice buzzwords

Psst, buddy
He was mocking you

In the 2008 recession their was no peak in crime it was lead and the rise if crack cocaine.

US immigrants do rarely commit crime, you can keep thinking they didn't but the stats don't support this

*piss*

Just enjoying the rush of post fap clarity.

True. Now normies think Veeky Forums is some kind of cesspool of racism. I remember back in 2013 people here were genuinely funny.