Why did the Art Deco movement die off?

Why did the Art Deco movement die off?

Wish it would come back, desu.

They should have rebuilt all of the destroyed areas of Europe with this style after ww2

No, we should bring back Art Nouveau instead.

What I love about it is how perfectly the very simple and plain parts of it mesh so well with the more intricate parts of it.

It reminds me of Ancient Greek architecture

>ywn live in some sort of implausible alternate history fiction in which the roaring twenties never ended

that's a really gonzo kind of design

why Don’t we build things like this anymore

Nobody can deny that this is better than our current style

Double this

It probably died off because of the Great Depression. Art Deco clearly is a romantic style, which is typical of eras with high economic growth.

So why didn’t America pick it back up after ww2? It certainly had the ability

You answered your own question I think.

Only from the outside.

These old early 20th century buildings have very little natural light in the interior compared to modern glass-sided towers, and the creative building shape often yields much less usable floorspace than a square building with straight sides.

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

And it’s an ugly monstrosity.

Look at this building here it has plenty of room in it and you could make a building with this same style that utilizes space even better. Here’s another example with lots of windows. You could also find ways to incorporate more windows while still staying true to the Art Deco style

You argument is an incredibly poor one. You’re lack imagination.

Its just fashion

Because postmodernists started a crusade to destroy everything that's beautiful on this world

Art Nouveau and Art Deco were both the last aesthetic architectural movements.

>that feel when Singapore is still doing Art Deco while the west falls behind

Because it's dystopian?

Agree, but I still prefer Nouveau. Deco has some of the elements I dislike about modernism. Architecture went to complete shit in the 1930s and never recovered. Why the fuck did I choose to become a programmer? I should have been an architect and start an Art Nouveau revival movement. People always bitch about modern architecture but nobody actually seems to try to change things.

It so perfectly capture both power and delicateness. It’s monolithic and yet resembles a tiny gemstones. It seems very natural and at the same time like nothing you’d see in the natural world.

Postmodern architecture is actually an improvement over modernism. It was modernism that deemed ornamentation "degenerate" and "wasteful" in the first place. Sadly it doesn't go far enough. Every architecture style, Baroque, Gothic and Classical has been revived at some point in history. Now is the perfect time to bring back the shit that was popular from about 1880 to 1910.

>curved glass
Hahaha nice sci-fi cgi mockup you've got there.

Still better than brutalism. Gaudy flashy buildings will always be better than ugly concrete prisons.

Stop forcing this meme and post more architecture.

>Put windows everywhere
>Cover them to keep the sun out and blast the aircon

Look, ma, I'm performing!

I would really love to one day see an Art Deco type building that incorporates things like pick related. I don’t know how you do it and have it still look good but I can imagine in my head the vague idea of it

Check out this turkroach take on Art Nouveau. This is fucking amazing.

Much less dystopian than the visual torture that is contemporary architecture IMO.

>ywn see Art Deco style skylines

When did it all go wrong guys?

I prefer the prisons though they shouldve smoothed out the AC ports/replace with windows and scanty clothing.

>The post-modern destruction of narrative
Stop saying that word. Post-modernism is a result of WW2. Dadaism is modernist.

>1900 - 1968: Modernism
>1968 - ???: Post-modernism

However we are currently on the way towards post-postmodernism or new sincerity.

pretty cool

Deco and Nouveau died off because modern art took Dada-ism and ran with it to the extreme for want of something concrete to rebel against. The post-modern destruction of narrative, history and meaning left us with an aesthetic of sterile functionality and minimalism followed by design for the sake of design.

modernism my man

Do we just need American architects or developers (I don't know who decides what a building looks like) who are particular to Art Deco to see it make a come back?

My bad, I reposted because I forgot the image. Dada is modernist but paved the way. Post-post modernism is the inevitable result of becoming self-aware of post-modernism.

Anything with white stone and red bricks gets me dick ROCK HARD.

I agree, but people bashing post-modernism need to understand that it was a necessary reaction to modernism, especially in architecture. Philosophy is a different issue. I don't think it's fair to blame Foucault or Adorno for our shitty contemporary architecture.

When the Empire State and Chrysler buildings were made, they were decried by architects across the world for being puerile throwbacks which celebrated form over function. It took a lot of guts to make them even back then.

*You’d*

>things like pick related
entablatures capitals and cornices? it would look strange if it was too ornamented

I agree completely. Youd have to be careful

So if an architect wants to make a bold move nowadays, he'd go with Art Deco? Maybe we're just outliers who really love the aesthetic, I imagine that architects can see the flaws in it but to the average joe I'd imagine its pretty aesthetically pleasing

Agreed, if not necessary, it was the logical next step. Problem is every single discipline felt it needed to take on the word Post-Modern with differing definitions. In art every new movement needs something to rebel against, even if it's rebelling agaisnt rebelling for the sake of rebelling so hopefully there'll be some return to competing searchings for meaning and truth. Regarding shitty contemporary architecture, it's probably more down to wanting the most bang for the buck, cashing in on current trends and not expecting or wanting the building to have to last more than a few decades.

posting architecture
this is now an architecture thread

craftmanship got really expensive

and the tradition was lost
maybe 3d printing will bring it back

Buffalo has some fantastic architecture

worry not boys, popular opinion is with us

hitler's architecture was such garbage
proof that nazis are progressive reactionaries therefore leftists

he just did larpy gigantic shit

the duomo is amazing in person, please go if you ever get the chance

Is it really? Most people I talk to would find this to be "tacky" or "gaudy"

Fascism is progressivism disguised as traditionalism.

Actually we should bring this back

Fuck off

because today it's usually done in a very kitsch way
think evangelical churches using columns that don't support anything for example

they prefer old buildings to new ones

pic related's reconstruction was completed not ten years ago

But that's Saxony, which is constantly being based by the German media as being "racist, sexist anti gay"

Ugly as fuck. Get out of here with your meme stripped neo classicism.

Stop using these meme words please.

That looks very cold

They didn't pretend to be traditionalist, they just had a sentiment towards the past but didn't want to return to the past. It was basically romanticism in political form.

Too modernist

The style you're looking for in beaux arts, which is pre art déco

big empty space