Architecture

Brutalism edition. These threads were really popular and always hit the image limit, its been a while since we had one.

>tfw never completed

>tfw no futuristic concrete dystopian city

Most of the plan wasn't implemented, only the idea of a city wall

POST MORE MODELS

You're here user

With the architects

What is the name of this plan ?

Its Kenzo Tanges masterplan for the reconstruction of Skopje following the 63' earthquake, sadly it was never built the way he planned. The city wall, the high rises you can see here and and
the railway in pic related were built, though much different, the railway today is missing the buildings on top.

The train station today

The apartment buildings on the right, part of the so called city wall.

Not Brutalism, but since people love models and maps, here's one of an unrealised plan to urbanise a semi-suburby part of Helsinki from the early 1900s. The style is generally Jugendstil and Finnish National Romanticism. For more information, check out the Munkkiniemi-Haaga Plan and Pro Helsingfors.

More to come.

To clarify the legend:
>Dark purple: urban buildings (residential and commercial) higher than 4 stories
>Light purple: urban buildings 3-4 stories tall
>Brown: row/terraced houses (these would've been amongst the first in Finland)
>Blue: villas
>Orange: single-family dwellings for the working class
>Light brown areas: industrial
>Red: public buildings (museums, churches, railway stations, the HQ of the Academic Karelia Society, etc.)

The 'Central Circle'

>not brutalism

Not a problem, its an architecture thread, any style goes, i just started with brutalism to move away from the usual neo-classicism circle jerk.

>More to come

Please do pic related rejected plan for Kiev

A random square (marked as Centralplatsen/Keskusaukea in the plan)

The 'Central Hill' with the AKS HQ

I'm afraid I don't have any pics or info on that, but I do for other stuff, which I will post after this series.

An example of the mix of building sizes and types

Some tree-lined boulevards and squares. This plan would've really created some grand urbanism that is in terribly short supply in present-day Helsinki (and even more so back then)

>I'm afraid I don't have any pics or info on that, but I do for other stuff, which I will post after this series.

Oh no im sorry, i didn't mean you should post the ones about Kiev,i was referring to Helsinki, i should have put a comma there

>please do, pic related is.......

I was posting Kiev, i have two more.

A cute little church square and villas

Ah, no worries. Loving the pics btw. This kinda thing is my catnip.

Another grand boulevard.

A rendering of the sort of thing that they meant with 'working class dwellings'. Much nicer than the Finnblocks that even a lot of the middle class have to contend with today.

One version of the larger Pro Helsingfors plan, with Munkkiniemi-Haaga at the top left.

The plan didn't come to complete fruition due to independence, followed by civil war, followed by lack of funds, followed by the Great Depression, followed by the Second World War, followed by lack of funds and then it was the 50/60s and this was all very passé. What we have is the southern third of the M-H plan sort of completed with a mix of the original style and some 30s Functionalism (in Finland basically very stripped-down Art Deco) and a horrible jumble of non/under-used land (read: literal fucking patches of forest and shit), 50s-70s suburban apartment blocks, 70s-90s light industrial and office buildings, a confusing jumble of roads, a FUCKING MOTORWAY and general shitty planning. This is a bit of a problem as the city has expanded around it in the meantime, meaning there's a lot of prime land being severely underused.

An example of some of the stuff that was built. Terraced houses, as according to the original plan, with some of the 30s Functionalist buildings I mentioned in the background.

>Loving the pics btw. This kinda thing is my catnip.

Yeah mine too, i have autism when it comes to city plans and architecture.

A view from the AKS building, looking south towards the Gulf of Finland. Central Helsinki would be to the top left of the frame.

Bird's eye view of the model. This is also gone now, unless the Museum of Architecture pulls a fast one and revels they've got it in a basement somewhere.

I think this was supposed to be a hospital or a veterans' home or something. Set at the southernmost point of the plan.

I've now run out of Munkkiniemi-Haaga pictures. I've got a few random pics from Helsinki's inter-war obsession with 'skyscrapers' (all but one of them unbuilt), something about Eliel Saarinen's plans for Greater Tallin and Canberra of all places from the early 1900s. I've also got pre-automobile-centric Los Angeles stuff. Also got some very idyllic countryside pics and plans. Any preferences?

They always look better on paper, unfortunately, there is always some shit colour contrast or more common is that only waves of appartment blocks are built and nothing of note. They should have built more of these

does anyone know where you can find architecural blueprints of famous/historic buildings?

That Stalisnism? I myself prefer neo-classicism, as simple as possible.

Bump bump. r/n im going to the beach but if this thread is alive I'll post my folder

ill keep it alive

I can't be around for long, but to bump I'll go on with my Helsinki's interwar skyscraper pics. This was a time of great hope and optimism in the newly independent country, and one way it expressed itself were various plans to make Helsinki into the Manhattan of the Baltic.

This first one is the Torni (Tower) hotel, the only plan that actually happened. Built in the early 30s in a Functionalist/Art Deco style. It's as high as 14 stories (bloody tall for Finland). It was built completely illegally. They turned in the planning paperwork, but because of bureaucracy they were able to complete it before they got a negative reply from the Planning Commission.

If you're ever in Helsinki, be sure to visit the bar/cafe at the top, and experience the scenic restrooms with views of downtown.

>They turned in the planning paperwork, but because of bureaucracy they were able to complete it before they got a negative reply from the Planning Commission.

top fucking kek, how many years did it take for the planning commission to say no?

This one is a proposal for the new Helsinki City Hall. The location is roughly where the present Kamppi shopping centre and Bio Rex buildings are now.

Years

This, on the left, was supposed to be the HQ of the national film company FinnKino. To the right is the Finnish Harrods, Stockmann, and at the end of the street is the Swedish Theatre. Prime real estate.

>years

kek, did they not see the building being built?

Oh, they probably could, but you know, Finnish autism, so they probably thought it was either already approved or didn't want to kick up a fuss. That is until the applications landed on some higher-up's desk.

Finnish autism sounds a lot like Balkan corruption and incompetence

I found some plans of a city that was never built near some salt mines in France

This 18th century idealistic proto-futurism stuff is fucking weird sometimes. Like that guy who had plans for a dome that even dwarfed Speers monstrosity.

>Like that guy who had plans for a dome that even dwarfed Speers monstrosity.

Which one? I would like to see that. Speaking of weird

It might be the same guy, looks like his handiwork

Reminds me of New Mombasa

It is the same guy.

t. 3rd person (architect) who has been reading your discussion

Thank you

cheers cunt

What is wrong with you people? Brutalism is disgusting. I go to community college in New Haven and the Brutalist architecture is hated by literally everyone.

A personal favourite of mine, the old Palais du Trocadéro in Paris.

>What is wrong with you people? Brutalism is disgusting. I go to community college in New Haven and the Brutalist architecture is hated by literally everyone.

To be fair there was 5 of us here at most, and i have a love/hate relationship with brutalism, its ugly but theres a certain aesthetic to it. My favorite is neoclassicism, not sure why on earth i like brutalism.

I'm back. Gonna only post my favorite desu because I really dont feel like posting several dozen images with this shit captcha. Plus I gotta let some room for other people's images.
beautiful

Anyone know the style? It was built in 1930

*favorites

I really should get these images named. This is the Habitat 67 and the previous one is the druzhba holiday center

unite d'habitation en marsella

this one's in mexico. watch other images because its such a great building "praxis"

I get what they were going for with Brutalism, but all I can think is "but why?"

this one's radical, and I despise the ussr

another concept

and this one for the ones that dont like modernist architecture

this one's livelier and happier!

traditionalists close your eyes

and this is another view from the building in the OP

that is disgusting Brasilia right?

My eyes are fine, but a little bit of my soul just died.

this building's not that great outside of this photo, but it looks great here

I live 15 minutes away walking distance, its pretty unremarkable, the post office is my favorite though

end of my dump. dont wanna reach image limit (what is the image limit btw?)
okay the bottom one I understand but how could someone think the brasilian one is disgusting?

>end of my dump. dont wanna reach image limit (what is the image limit btw?)

No idea tb h

>okay the bottom one I understand but how could someone think the brasilian one is disgusting?

How is it not? Two straight lines, random shapes, and no aesthetic value what so ever, its not that its an eyesore like the bottom pic, its just senseless and doesn't even look aesthetic.

Brutalism frankly most of the time looks shit exterior wise.
Brutalism always shines as interiors. Interior brutalist spaces deep down drive that inherent feeling in you that you're deep in a cave. It's one of the only architectures I actually get a physical feeling from being in it's presence.

I find it elegant. Kind of alien in a way

This is like the ultimate Fallingwater

I really hope you turdheads don't let this thread die after I dumped all that shit

one last dying, desperate image

I'm gonna let it die because it's brutalism

And shit opinions like that are why we don't let the average person decide on things that matter - oh wait

Have some Lautner you cucks.