Where on Earth is the real-world Mordor? And other objects like the Isengard etc. What Tolkien mean by his work...

Where on Earth is the real-world Mordor? And other objects like the Isengard etc. What Tolkien mean by his work? What is the historical background.

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Third_age
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Africa+Middle East

constantinople

Russia of course. Germany is Rohan.

I think he identified Mordor as Sicily.

>Mordor
Turkey
>Far east peoples
Asians
>Harad
Middle East
>South of Harad
Africa
>Shire
Britain
>That gigantic forest in the east
Poland
>Gondor
Italy/Greece/Byzantine Empire
>Isengard
Who the fuck knows
>Rohan
Hungary

Mecca is mordor desu

Constantinople is, of course, the former human capital between Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul

The Shire seems indeed to be inspired by the idealized image of Merry England. Regarding the Rohirrim, their physical aspect/names/architectures are clearly Anglo-Saxon. They're basically pre-Norman English on horses.

Fun fact:

In one review communists percieved how Tolkien paints modern industrial society and proudly declared themselves to be the orcs.

Tolkien, the late British author and academic, rejected earlier interpretations of his text that connected the evil of the "East" with Stalinist Russia. "The situation was conceived long before the Russian revolution. Such allegory is entirely foreign to my thought," he wrote in a letter to his publishers in 1961, cited by Bershidsky. "The placing of Mordor in the east was due to simple narrative and geographical necessity, within my 'mythology.' "

But with the elements of roaming the magyars had.

lolno

Tolkien´s evil represents technology and modernity.

I like this version, it looks pretty accurate

Vienna - Minas Tirith (sieged by turks, that were destroyed by heavy cavalry charge of Jan Sobiesky, Osgiliath - Budapest etc etc) Also turkish army combined from different nations(same as mordor)

As far as I remember, the Rohirrim are perfectly sedentary, but indeed their warfare is influenced by steppe peoples, since they use both heavy cavalry armed with lances and light cavalry made up of archers. Though, this influence is more Iranic than Magyar IMO

They weren't sedentary initially. They literally migrated to the lands the lived in during the books timeframe.

far east people = moors

Interesting, thank you.

hungarians supported turks at vienna and at the time they were known for being traitorous people constantly changing their allegiance
they are haradrim - man corrupted by sauron and greed just like turks corrupted hungarians

Adriatic or the Pannonian plain.

They migrated to Rohan hundreds of years before A Long Expected Party; the only way you include them "in the timeframe of the books" is going back all the way to the appendixes, which stretch back more or less forever.

Just to follow up, tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Third_age

Rohan is founded 2510 TA, and Frodo and Co leave the shire on September 22nd, 3018.

>Far East
>Moors

I mean anyone trying to match Tolkein cultures to real ones are brainlets, but this is just ridiculous.

>I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned – with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

>the guy specifically states multiple times that his works aren't based on reality
>so are orcs Turks, guys? orcs are Turks, right?

Rohan means something in Hungarian. I forget what, I was there a long time ago, but something like, we ride.

Fucking this, people trying to draw direct allegory to Tolkien's works don't know how hard he stressed to make sure that his works weren't treated allegorically. He drew inspiration from some real life things, but that's about it. I personally find it admirable that he was truly and honestly just trying to create a unique world.

>What is the historical background.
That J.R.R Tolkien deliberately, consciously wrote Lord of the Rings to have an open allegory. Unlike his friend and fellow inkling C.S. Lewis, who loaded his fiction with Christian allegory, Tolkien wrote fiction as a means in itself, not as a vehicle for conveying some life lesson.

Because it was incredibly imaginative, well written fiction, people are apt to insert their own allegories into the narrative in order to justify their enjoyment of it. This was a design principle on Tolkien's part, and one of the major reasons why his fiction enjoyed so much broader appeal than C.S Lewis

Rohan is a city of Brittany and the name of a feudal domain and of the associated noble family, which was quite powerful and influential.

Is that how the goi soldiers serving judea will look in the future

America.

ITT: morons who don't know that Mordor is smog choked industrial Lancashire with Pendle Hill as Mount Doom.

Turkey, with Turkroaches being Orcs.

Sauron analog would be someone like Sabbatai Zevi

Gondor is Byzantium. Rohan is Anglo-Saxon England. There are "Northmen" realms to the, um, north. The Shire is rural England.

Gondor/Minas Tirith is a pretty obvious stand-in for Byzantium.

>Tolkien is obsessed with Anglo-Saxon language, culture, myths
>even makes up a bunch of languages based on classical languages
>durrr drawing connections between Middle Earth and the real world is Tolkien heresy! It's all pure fantasy durr

drawing inspiration isn't the same as inserting allegory, dumb shit

Inspiration does not imply representation.

Tolkien used real world elements to feed his imaginary world, but did not use his imaginary world to talk about the real world.

>did not use his imaginary world to talk about the real world.
The most curious irony is that because he was so meticulous about not inserting his own allegories into the narrative, LOTR actually becomes an incredibly versatile, timeless commentary on the real world and the conflicts which inevitably arise when rural values and traditions meets industrialized modernity.

It's almost like he was a disciplined enough storyteller to avoid beating his readers over the head with opaquely obvious life lessons which would seem quaint to our sensibilities

wasn't Mount Doom based on a real volcano?

Haradrim = Middle Eastern

Dale and Esgaroth are heavily based of off Kiev and Novgorod as well

And here we see the answer to the thread, which is totally ignored by all the morons who assume it must be allegory.

Yeah your mom's pussy hahahaha

I though elvish was inspired by Finnish.

pretty much this. pic related is your real world mordor/dead marsh, or at least what inspired it

It is, when you read the Elvish in the books it's obvious that it has similarities with Finnish

SUOMI

Rohan = Croats
Gondor = Serbs
Minas Tirith = Belgrade
Helm's Deep = Siege of Sziget
Elves = Austrians
Dwarves = Venetians

North Korea. Mordor was dominated by the cult of Melkor, with Sauron as the high priest of Melkor. Likewise North Korea is dominated by the cult of the Kim dynasty, with the current Kim as the acting priest-king. They are both likewise obsessed with heavy industry at the expense of human development, and they love super weapons but their basic troops are very low quality.

There are in fact two Elvish languages in LotR, the high elvish of Elrond and Galadriel is based on Finnish but the wood elvish of Legolas and the elves of Lothlorien is based on Welsh.

One interpretation is that the Shire represented the rural England of Tolkien's youth, while Isengard's machines and Uruk-hai represented the smoggy industrialization that overtook it. The Dark Lands are the battlefields of WWI. I mean Tolkien was at the Somme.

Veeky Forums would be fun to play tabletop rpgs with

>not reading your own post properly
Yes Tolkien dislikes allegory, but allegory means to have a hidden or deeper meaning, Tolkien does not state he isn't subject to influence from historical cultures.

Yeah, no they wouldn't.

I always saw Mordor as Turkey. Similiar both geographically and in the fact orcs populate both of them

Read OP.