Argentina

Give me the rundown on it. What is it's history and contributions to the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SnOvB9ucgNM
youtu.be/YhTrmYzp4gE
youtu.be/VTPec8z5vdY
argentinainvestiga.edu.ar/noticia.php?titulo=historias_de_inmigrantes_italianos_en_argentina&id=1432#.U2cKkYHa70s
forebears.io/surnames
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Peronism and choripanes

choris is god tier

100 years ago argentina was probably the best place in the world to live, sad how things have changed

How so? What exactly changed?

Every Hispanic country LARPs as Spain, but Argentina LARPs harder than anyone else

My great-grandfather lived in that epoch and worked in a sugar plantation where they whipped the workers among other things.

>contributions to the world

The BLM movement
The Nation of Islam
The Great Zimbabwe
And peanutt butter

They LARP as France, think they're italians and most have spanish names. They seriously need another dictator to straight them up.

>implying choripanes are only in Argentina

What's next, empanadas? chorizo?

lmao fag probably had it coming for being a fag

I'm fairly sure food itself its an argentinian invention.

Argentina is the whitest country on earth

Got BTFOd in 1982.

He did the whipping.

Did he hit my grandpa?

Argies BTFO the bongs twice in the early 19th Century

They're even worse then Americans for muh heritage

>there are redditors on Veeky Forums and no one says anything

They went at war with rosbifs, which is always a good thing.

The only South American nation to actually invent their own Jet Fighters before being cucked by American and British Jets

>argentinian fighter jets
please Fabio, the pampa is a shitty jet and only Bolivia took that bait

I’m talking about Pulqui and Pulqui ii

And lost, which is always an inevitable thing

>100 years ago argentina was probably the best place in the world to live
memes, the average argentinean lived in inhuman conditions
three times actually

You do realize that a majority of the people on Veeky Forums browse reddit too right

>In the 1870s real wages in Argentina were around 76% relative to Britain, rising to 96% in the first decade of the 20th century.[54] GDP per capita rose from 35% of the United States average in 1880 to about 80% in 1905,[55] similar to that of France, Germany and Canada.[56]
It was a great time in argentinian history, where shared prosperity and happiness from a booming export economy brought in vast amounts of wealth. Argentina still had a rural based pastoral and agricultural economy at the time though, so although people were very wealthy comparatively to other nations at the time, they still enjoyed a simple rural lifestyle without the cramped living conditions and pollution that plagued the working classes of other nations
a recesion brought on by lack of demand for exports during ww1, then suffering greatly through the great depression. a series of political coups, seemingly every few years for the rest of the century, lead to a long period of instability and decline.

Queen of the Netherlands

Borges and Riquelme.

> lack of demand for exports during ww1
>during
wat. i'd expect demand to be high as world powers need food supplies for their armies. Spain and Japan after all had huge economic growth in WWI doing similar

Pretty interesting so far. Are there any notable works on their history or culture?

In the 1900s Argentina was a smaller, Spanish-speaking United States, with a similar GDP per capita. For European emigrants it was a toss up whether they would end in Buenos Aires or New York.

7.5 million Europeans immigrated to a mostly-empty country to build a dream of prosperity, however since the immigrants were mostly Italians, Germans and Spaniards not used to practicing democracy, many brought their shitty fascist ideas with them, so what was one of the wealthiest free market republics on Earth entered a period of decline under a shitty ideology called "peronism" which was basically fascism-lite (protectionist economics and a massive welfare state, with not as much repression as actual fascism though).

By the 1950s the country had industrialized - but it was bankrupt. So the economy stagnated and political instability (read coups) followed.

Since 1983 democracy has consolidated. It's still relatively wealthy for world standards and a rather comfy place to live when you look at what a shithouse most of the rest of Latin America is, but it's a shadow of what it could have been.

The "glory" days:
youtu.be/SnOvB9ucgNM
youtu.be/YhTrmYzp4gE

As for achievements, this is mostly correct (), but the foods section is bullshit though.
67% of the population is of Italian descent, I don't know why this triggers you though.

>Culture
Well Borges and Cortazar are probably the most famous writers internationally. You may have also heard of the tango which was all the rage in Europe and Latin America at one point.

Also, Argentine rock is very famous in Latin America and some of it in the US as well. Check out Soda Stereo, probably the most famous Argentine rock band internationally.

Also, Piazolla was the best tango composer but this is a totally subjective opinion of mine. Tango "purists" hate him.

youtu.be/VTPec8z5vdY

consumer demand drops extremely heavily in times of war, especially for the luxury foreign goods such as the cattle that argentina exported. grain, the largest component of argentinian production, maintained demand and even managed increase some markets, such as brazil when they entered the war in 1917.
More interestingly and understated though, especially in modern times where this relationship has been near forgotten, UK was the largest trader and capital investor in argentina. As britian ran out of capital and its gold reserves in 1916 funding the war effort and became reliant on US loans, it was unable to fund any of the largescale private and public partnerships that it had been in the previous decades.
The panama canal was also opened some time in that decade, which as you can imagine took many south american economies outside of the shipping routes, and focused investment in favor of many new asian opportunities
This graph paints an interesting overview of the economy with some key events, you can see just how much it was effected by the first world war

Six times military coup d'etat?

If we had joined the Allies in WW2 and kept the free market policies of the 1880s-1930 period we wouldn't have been excluded from the post-war economic boom. Australia and Canada made the transition from wealthy agroexporters to modern industrial economies without putting massive protectionist barriers.

Argentina basically shot itself in the foot by turning its back on the world, destroying its export markets to finance a bunch of unsustainable protected industries for the internal market instead of figuring out how to *export* industrial goods.

I was very surprised to hear Argentine exports actually declined under Peron even though he enjoyed record commodity prices.

Yeah. From zero coups and continual Constitutional succession between 1860 and 1930, to six coups between 1930 and 1976. (And several other attempts)

Argentina basically fucked up in the Cold War, politically and economically.

ty for answering

i have heard many different theories of why argentinas economy has not succeeded in the same way very similar economies in australia had,
>it was the protectionism killing competition
>it was the free market changes killing local industries
>it was (x) dictator and his policies
>it was (z) war, or lack of joining in (y) war
Ultimately, nearly any economic platform can succeed to a degree with stability and local support, just look at soviet growth in the 1960's and 1970's, or singpaore in modern history
however, instead of 1 single policy or missed opportunity, i would blame argentinas long term decay on the continuous and disruptive series of political changes it has had, and trying out many different economic models like they are trying on clothes in a stores changing room. any sort of political and economic stability would have likely turned out better
thank you for being polite user :)

It doesn't trigger me, it's just funny that most of you guys look like this and claim to be white.

>Italian descent
>Being 1/8 italian makes you Italian
80% of Argentinians have a Spanish surname which makes your LARP even more pathetic

>boca
Look for a better example

Most Argentine surnames are Italian.

The most common surnames are Spanish but that's because Spanish has less variation (lots of gonzalez, lopez, etc).

I have a feeling I already had this discussion with you and you are still acting autistic about it.

Also nice cherrypicked image.

Argentina is so awesome that its stupid population can´t destroy her. It always bounces back, be it from economic crisis, civil conflict or even defeat at war

>80% of Argentinians have a Spanish surname
lol no... source for that bullshit number?
anybody that knows argentina will tell you that is nonsense... there is an incredible variation in surnames from all corners of europe, italian, french, german, welsh, polish, arabic surnames, jewish, asian... its precisely one of the first things that strikes out to foreigners... that most surnames are NOT spanish

Argentinian military is quite big due to the country size and in those days it wasn't completely unified, many factions were politicised and seized power while others didn't got involved because they knew it was a shit hole that would only get them stained.

>you do realize...

foolish faggot that u are, you fail to recognize that casually perusing reddit as a /pol/boi is not the same thing as being a redditor maliciously and carelessly browsing Veeky Forums.

Top ten economy by early XX.

Now it's shit, sadly. What could've been...

Literally the 2000 most common surnames in Argentina are Spanish.Argentinians just overmasturbate about a couple of German and Italian surnames while being Bolivia tier demographically

Spanish surnames have less variation, so yeah, the most common surnames are Spanish because many Spanish descent people and mestizos have the same surnames (Fernandez, Lopez, Gonzalez, Sosa, etc.).

But Italian surnames are more common than Spanish surnames, anybody that knows Argentina can tell you that.

See:
argentinainvestiga.edu.ar/noticia.php?titulo=historias_de_inmigrantes_italianos_en_argentina&id=1432#.U2cKkYHa70s

Also, go to this website, type any Italian surname you wish, first result will be Italy, second will be Argentina

forebears.io/surnames

Just going by my group of friends (16 guys) there are:
6 Italian surnames
4 Spanish surnames
3 French surnames
2 British surnames
1 Hungarian surname

This t b h
No one thinks Argentina is WHITE NO ONE
Reminds me of that shitflinging on twitter during that submarine episode. People were saying that Trump wasn't saying anything because the country is brown and the lads went berserk

>what is Argentina's contributions to the world
pic related

Maybe they were more common 40 years ago. Today the Spanish surnames have become more common

t. Argentine

Argentina went from giving humanitarian aid to Ireland to receiving humanitarian aid from Ireland in only three generations.

Peronism. Not even once.

Malvinas

Zlatan?

Humanitarian aid? What the fuck are you talking about?

1. We were discussing Italian vs Spanish heritage, nobody mentioned anything about "white" so please take your race autism back to /pol/

2. Yes, most people and encyclopedias consider it a white-majority country. Of course there are plenty of minorities not everybody is white, it's not a European country. The mestizo population is large and probably a majority in the Northwest region.

Without a source like the one I posted that's just an opinion. Spanish surnames are not a majority.