Going to a real gym for the first time on Monday

Going to a real gym for the first time on Monday.

Any tips on what not to do and how not to be a huge fuckup?
(I'm not too good at talking to people)

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_0WxyKGD7sU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nobody gives a shit what you do as long as you aren't making unnecessary noise. if you are going to do db work don't be that guy that hoards 10 different weights to his chair that he won't be using for another 30 min.

always but your weights back on the rack!

make sure to grab any guy who looks at you in the eyes by the dick. it shows dominance.

you don't need to talk to anyone. just know what parts of your body you wanna work out and what/where the equipment you need is. look up youtubers like buff dudes, scott herman, and alan thrall for knowledge on the workouts and how to do them properly. I was an idiot about form and certain routines until I started watching these guys. good luck OP. don't worry about the weight that other guys are swinging, just focus on yourself and you'll be fine

try and give as much unsolicited advice that you read on building body.com as possible to people who are lifting more than you. They will respect you for helping them even though you are a newbie and youll make friends

Put your shit back after using it.
Don't get in the way too much doing stupid shit.

That's pretty much it. Don't be afraid to ask people if you have any questions, people are generally happy to help.

I used to hate the gym but it was mostly unfounded bias. It's really not that bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=_0WxyKGD7sU

no one rly gives a fuck as long as you dont interfiere in their work

Scream as loud as you can, no matter the weight. At least that seems to be what everyone else does.

hey OP, good job on starting to work out. Here's my advice:

1. gyms, while being a place for exercise, are also social settings. Typically new members of the gym will introduce themselves to everyone else. It's not essential, but I would recommend you introduce yourself to the people around you when you start your workout.

2. One thing I did the first time going to the gym that made me look stupid was trying to use any kinds of barbels for workouts. No one ever uses them, stick to mainly the smith machine and dumbbells if you need them.

3. Look up videos for good form!

4. Stay motivated and don't lose sight of your goals.

Good luck OP!

You forgot to mention the most important thing. You gotta tip the receptionist!

pretty much this + return everything you take back to the place

Moan really loudly

What are your thoughts on a personal trainer?

It's better to spend a month learning how to use all the machines and learning proper form than to fuck yourself because you can't match all the youtube videos you watch.

Expensive, but one month vs. torn muscles in the future is a no brainer imo

>2. One thing I did the first time going to the gym that made me look stupid was trying to use any kinds of barbels for workouts. No one ever uses them, stick to mainly the smith machine and dumbbells if you need them.

what about barbel flies moron

I think a disappointingly high amount of PTs are con artists who don't know what they're talking about

I've seen some PTs coach guys on deadlift/squats and they let their clients get away with all kinds of shit that will hurt them in the future

Obviously this isn't true for all PTs but you gotta be careful in who you work with, try to find someone who looks like they know what they fuck they're doing and learn your foundation from them, above all do things like film yourself for form and study from guys like Omar Isuf/Alan Thrall

Yell "lightweight baby", "nothin but a peanut weight" and "yeaaaaaah buuuuudyyyyyy" in a high pitched voice repeatedly before any kind of lift. It really gets the juices flowing

kek

wipe the machine down before and after you use it

don't wear your goddamn shoes in the steam room.

This desu

Also forget chuck taylor's all you need for the gym is a good pair of construction boots

Understand no one really gives a fuck or is paying attention to you

Don't be an idiot

Don't even need those, barefoot and without socks is the way to show those around you that you know what you're doing.

>Typically new members of the gym will introduce themselves to everyone else. It's not essential, but I would recommend you introduce yourself to the people around you when you start your workout

It's actually an unspoken rule that the new guy gives blowjobs in the locker room before his first workout. You will look like an asshole if you don't.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try my best!

(^:

You had better be on steroids...

>interupt everyone you see
>stay away from the bench so it's free for me
DEVILISH

I got one and had really good luck - they knew what they were talking about and never let me get away with even slightly wrong form. If you can afford to start with a PT and can find a good one it wikl be more than worth it imo.

Should I risk it if none of them look fit?

There is an older male PT working here, but he doesn't look particularly fit or strong.
He seems to know what he's doing, but I don't know enough about form to know if it's true or not.
I think it's in his job description to go easy on people anyway. Maybe if I tell him I want to be as perfect as possible? That I want to know my limits, at the very least?

idk

underrrated

Can semi-confirm, without the dick part. When I started out, I found the biggest guy and made him my bitch. Do that, or you will become someone else's bitch.

Yeah the pts at my gym are friendly and good people but to me it feels like they are scamming people. 50 dollars an hour for that garbage that you could find easily and better on the internet