Is Diet Coke or aspartame in general actually bad for you...

Is Diet Coke or aspartame in general actually bad for you? I read the sticky's section on it and its cited sources but I'm still not sure about it.

I've lost 10 pounds in a month still drinking it so I assume it may be fine.

It's literally fine

The FDA has such a huge hardon for finding megacorps like Coke/Pepsi that if there was a minute chance it was dangerous, the FDA would roll up an be like "gib"

It's got a scary name so plebs are afraid of it

birth defects

source: my mom drank diet coke and i am retarded

>can't even give up fucking soda
Not going to make it. Willpower is the primary attribute for weight loss and success in life. If you can't even gather the strength to stop drinking a meme drink you are doomed.

>Is Diet Coke bad for you?
Yes, phosphorous is fairly bad for your gut and your teeth over time. The caffeine in it is also pretty bad for you (regular caffeine is fine, it's just the way it's processed here)
>Is aspartame bad for you?
No, it's the single most clinically studied consumable known to man and it's completely safe.

Diet Coke isn't very bad for you but it's definitely worse than water. At the end of the day it's like anything- fine in moderation

Willpower is a proven depletable resource
Why waste it on trying to "be tough" when you can use your will rationally for the things that matter?

By your logic, if you're not sleeping on the floor with a hairshirt you're just wasting your time trying to be Veeky Forums

Can you explain to me what exactly the difference is between "processed caffeine" and the regular stuff?

>Lmao the FDA and the government wouldn't let them do such a thing!
Yeah. It's not like pizza wasn't considered a serving of vegetables in school lunches because it had tomato paste or anything.

Or that Americans are charged quintuple the prices for medications than other countries because our government allowed pharmaceutical companies to create a patent monopoly making them the sole provider of medications in the united States.

Don't be naive son, the government is going to protect corporate incomes.

>My health is not a thing that matters
>Willpower is a proven reportable resource
>Some retarded fucking analogy that makes 0 sense in the context of the discussion
I think you might be retarded.

That's why the FDA has teeth
It helps everyone

Do you think that corporations benefit when they release shit that hurts their customers?
Look at the Olestra disaster.

You can doubt a lot of things, but not the FDA when it comes to food.
Otherwise you live in a Chinese style "libertarian paradise" that cuts rice with plastic shavings .

>Is soda good for you?

Has this board reached a new level of retardation?

Never asked if it was good, just asked if it was bad as everyone makes it out to be.

This question comes up here so often even though there is a link in the sticky about artificial sweeteners. Google is your friend, friend.

In a healthy diet, sugar free sodas in moderation are fine. One 12-oz soda per day or less. A shit-ton, not so great. Common sense.

If you did actual gymnastics akin to the mental ones you're pulling, you would be fit as fuck user.

>you can use your will rationally for the things that matter?

Nothing matters user.

or should I say, everything matters equally.

>if you're not sleeping on the floor with a hairshirt

Please don't tell me you don't even do this.

Just give up kid.

aspartame causes brain cancer

yr 4 med student here

aspartame is harmless because it's just a modified amino acid phenylalanine that your body requires for survival

even if there were risks, foods like red meat and fruit literally have like 40x the amount of phenylalanine in them than a can of diet soda

the only people who shouldn't drink diet sodas are people with phenylketonuria

there are some theoretical risks associated with how the body actually responds to artificial sugars, but it's certainly no worse than regular soda

only if you have PKU

Yeah the FDA is such a public servant.. they really watch out for us and they have it in for the big bad corporations! I personally will not put something into my body unless it has been approved by the FDA. Ever since I started doing this I have felt SO healthy!

In my experience, I think every medical treatment or drug I've heard of that the FDA hasn't approved is bunk. On the other hand, the ones they do approve save lives! Again, I'd just like to emphasize how happy I am to live in such a sensible and smart society, where we have a government institution that GUARANTEES the safety of things we put into our bodies! It really is awesome.

Also, just to give you guys a rundown of some other things I've been thinking about recently:

- It is a democratic travesty that Trump became president, he wasn't even the people's choice!
- It's unfortunate we didn't find any WMDs in Iraq, because I'm sure there were some.
- There were no motives at play with the 9/11 attacks other than that of the Al-Qaeda in the planes.
- Universal basic income is something I really hope we see in the future, especially considering that automation is going to steal everyone's jobs and leave hundreds of millions of Americans starving & without healthcare.
- I also hope that America begins to take on its fair share of Middle-Eastern & African refugees soon!
- And finally, the sooner that higher education becomes free in America, the sooner America will start to get up to speed with the more truly "developed" nations of the world, I'm looking at you Europe!

Again, I'd just like to wish you all good luck in making it during Trump's presidency, it sure is going to be hard!

And remember, especially on Veeky Forums where I see lots of weird unapproved nutritional supplements being recommended, don't put something in your body unless the FDA says it's safe! They have YOUR best interests at heart!

>- It is a democratic travesty that Trump became president, he wasn't even the people's choice!

A paragraph from Alan Brinkley's "The Unfinished Nation (8th edition)"

"The 'federal' structure of the government was designed to protect the United States from the kind of despotism that Americans believed had emerged in England. But it was also designed to protect the nation from another kid of despotism: the tyranny of the people. Shays's Rebellion, most of the founders believed, had been only one example of what could happen if a nation did not defend itself against the unchecked exercise of popular will. Thus in the new government, only the members of the House of Representatives would be elected directly by the people. Senators would be chosen by state legislators. The president would be chosen by an electoral college. Federal judges would be appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate. On September 17, 1787, thirty-nine delegates signed the Constitution."

Might degrade insulin sensitivity over time. Your body thinks its about to process sugar cause of the sweetness, so it releases a shitton of insulin in response. Then again this is all out of my ass

tbqh i don't give a shit, i can't imagine eating anything without drinking something cold, and for me fortunately diet coke and regular coke taste the same, so it's the lesser of two necessary evils, my quality of life would litrally go down if i give up diet coke.

Diet Pepsi is aspartame free. It has sucralose instead

can confirm, have pku