Sengoku Jidai Thread

Based Oda Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sekigahara-1600-final-struggle-Campaign/dp/1855323958
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I am the Demon King of the Seventh Heaven!

What did he mean by this?

bump

>i am a piece of shit

Seriously, what the fuck was the point of those fucking hair cuts? I get the idea of manly men not needing to be attractive but didn't the Nips have that Han chinese influence where they saw long hair as a sign of strength for men rather than femininity? It kind of defeats the purpose if you shave half of it. They couldn't even be morw aesthetic and shave just the sides. No they had to "JUST" them selves with self inflicted receding hair lines.
My rant is done now.

bump

Those haircuts are a compromise actually.
>I want long hair like muh cool Chinese scholar dudes.
>But then I dont want my man bun fucking up wearing my helmet.
>WAIT I KNOW
>JUST

OUR MEN ARE RUNNING FROM THE BATTLE
A-A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY

>Shogun 2
>Otomo only one who starts game with guns other than portuguese traders
>Brainlet me: OMG OTOMO SHOULD HAVE WON

>play as otomo
>get immediately raped by every single nation because everyone hates you for being christian
>fight otomo
>YOUR AGENT HAS BEEN CONVERTED
>ARMY DEMORALIZED
>ARMY DEMORALIZED
>ARMY DEMORALIZED
>ARMY DEMORALIZED

Ultra poorfag here, which is better, fall of the samurai or shogun 2?

God, I fucking love playing otomo. Full turcostacks are the greatest things on the planet. I wish they were able to recruit warrior monks, so I could pretend they're crazy ass christian monks and field a full army of those fuckers.

Actually, let me rephrase that. Am i missing anything by just pirating these games? As I understand it, you can't play the grand campaign in multiplayer, and I've always kind of hated skirmish battles.

I vastly prefer shogun 2, you can get the bundle for $10.
Have you played total war before though?

isn't it the sixth heaven?

Sengoku Rance

>betrays you :3

I'm familiar with the mechanics but I'm by no means an expert on it
[spoiler] I started with TW warhammer plz no bulli [/spoiler]

>tfw the good guys lost

>Betray Nobunaga pretty easily.
>Holy shit guys it worked!
>Just sit around waiting for Hideoyoshi to come beat your ass.
What was his end game?

I call bullshit. How hard is it to keep a samurai helmet on your head just because of a top knot? Even if so, why cut your precious locks when you can just put them in a braid or leave them and put the helmet on top?
Fucking nip autism i swear...
Anyway, samurai armor was pretty fucking cool though.

DO people in this thread actually have a knowledge of history or is it just video games?
Anyway, I watched a Metatron video and he described how castles, especially in this time were used for the same reasons as European castles but just had an over all different design.
Were sieges ever done? If so, how common was it?

The one big siege that I know of was Nobunaga's siege of the last Ikki fortress at Ishiyama Hogan-ji, which lasted ten years. More generally, I think that sieges were as common in Japan as they were in European warfare.

The difference between European and Japanese castles was that Japanese castles were a lot bigger and usually based around massive earthwork ramparts instead of stone walls. In this way, they were almost more similar to the forts developed in Europe after the rise of gunpowder.

I see. Thanks, user. I wish I could read Chinese and Japanese so I could get my hands on more in depth history books. That's the only way to learn more.
I know that they lacquered the buildings though. Apparently they were easier to build as protection against earthquakes.

How common was it to capture POWs for ransom off the battle field? Would they usually just killed or committed sudoku before that happened?

The receding hairline thing makes me think a balding dude started the trend, and everyone just went along with it.
Japs claim it made it easier to wear a samurai helmet, and it eventually became a way of marking out the privileged samurai class. Like a Chinese queue or Christian monk.

Christian monks did it with the expressive intent of symbolizing chastity or giving up their entire body/being to God though. Nuns also cut their hair short.
The queue in China was a form of humiliation brought onto them by the Manchurians who conquered as disrespect to their Han tradition of long hair.
There had to be another way to deal with helmet hair issues...but yeah your reason is the only one that makes sense. Almost like the origin of wigs in the 1700s.

Reading a book on Sekigahara right now. There's at least 3 sieges in this campaign so far.

Anyone watch 'Gunshi Kanbei'? Looks like he led an interesting life. Worked for Oda, Toyotomi, and eventually Tokugawa.

There's a couple of conspiracy theories out there that Akechi didn't actually kill Nobunaga but took the fall for it anyway bs Hideyoshi was just the first one to mobilize.

Don't put much faith in that though. Most likely Akechi was just incompetent.

sauce?

neither, shogun fags BTFO medieval or bust

this is a feudal japan thread you fucking autist

Most high ranking officers/generals would rather die than be disgraced by surrendering. Then their heads would be lopped off by a samurai boi and presented to the daimyo for pet pets!

So there were no POWs at all or just no very high ranking ones? They all killed themselves? I guess it's nobler and cheaper to not expect your family to ransom you.

not really. for the most part anyone that you would actually want to take as prisoner would rather die then be subjected to the shame that comes with being the prisoner of your enemy

The high ranking samurai would kill themselves or be killed.
As for the low-ranking soldiers, why would you want to take some peasant ashigaru hostage?

What would you trade him for, a bowl of rice?

Okay, so no POWs or ransoms at all. Seems very wasteful though if they really just killed the highborn should they for some reason did not kill themselves.

It's a culture thing, Japanese people are very focused on honor and when one person does something "dishonorable" it is also seen as a mark of shame on their entire family. By killing themselves they preserve their honor by giving the ultimate sacrifice. Daimyos would often give enemy samurai the option of suicide as a sign of respect and a way to keep their family from shame

Yeah kill yourself rather than lose face and shit. I wonder if there were any instances where they didn't kill themselves. Like a young noble perhaps. Idk

oh most certainly, and those who did would have been branded as having no honor and would've lost a lot of face in the political sphere. Kind of like when you shit you pants in chemistry and it runs out of your leg and nobody will make eye contact with you in the hallway anymore

amazon.com/Sekigahara-1600-final-struggle-Campaign/dp/1855323958

>I call bullshit. How hard is it to keep a samurai helmet on your head just because of a top knot?
Just look at China.

Troops had elaborate hairstyles meant to bundle up their long hair or wore special hats/turbans to do so. AND THEN wearing their helmets.

Or wore stupidly tall helmets.

After the battle, the victorious daimyo's retainers would present heads of fallen or seppuku'd enemy commanders.
Ōtani Yoshitsugu commited seppuku as his side lost and had his retainer's hide his head, so that it couldn't it be taken.

yeah I got it. I strick meant high borns werect dead/killed.
Gotta "save face" though.
Thanks for the contribution

surely a top knot isn't necessary in battle then? You can just put it in a lower bun or braid instead of habitually shaving your hairline and thus precious locks. Still seems counter intuitive if not plain illogical.
It probably was the surface reason but I'm kind of convinced that some balding shogun low key just made it a thing so people overlook his receding hairline/bad hair day.

*Teleports behind you*

You wouldn't want it anyway, since he was a leper.

>that ninja in the background.
let's talk about how ninja were actually used and when they first started being used.
None of that animu shit.

Ninjas were used as spies and assassins. They dressed and acted like common folk to avoid any suspicions. I believe the all black clothes based on outfits that Japanese Kabuki Stagehands wore.

I heard also that samurai could be ninja or at least act like them too. Is that the only time you could see a "ninja" fighting in close combat like anime and movies like to portray?

The problem with the term ninja is that in modern parlance it covers pretty much any act of espionage or unconventional warfare. Under that rubric many samurai were indeed "ninja"

But at the times there were many, more nuanced terms for agents and covert acts.