I thought rowing machines were a meme. tried it out for the first time today and holy shit you guys weren't kidding

i thought rowing machines were a meme. tried it out for the first time today and holy shit you guys weren't kidding.

>walk up to one of those concept 2 rower machines
>put it on 8 (not sure what max is, probably 10?)
>strap in and start rowing easy to get the proper groove going
>feeling it
>take a sip
>rest for about a minute
>lets do this.jpg
>start rowing for 500 m
>give it everything i have
>1:48
>can't breathe
>heart is pounding like crazy
>literally gasping for air
>sweating so much like i fell in a pool
>people are looking at me and wondering if i'm having a heart attack
>drink almost 1L of water right there
>go to bathroom to refill, gasping for air along the way
>think to myself that i fucked up my workout for the day because of it
>takes me at least 5 min to stop feeling my heart trying to escape my chest

surprisingly it didn't affect my workout at all and it actually woke me up and warmed me up really good so i could skip my usual warm up routine. gonna put that shit on max next time i go there and do a few 500 m splits. i think i found my after work cardio replacement.

any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sfnAhEAa_T8
youtube.com/watch?v=GXoZsgNHquM
youtube.comwatch?v=oP6OR-G7AxM
youtu.be/KzxDRafnCtM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just put on some viking metal music and pretend you're rowing to England to rape and pillage every village.

Rowing machines are the shit. Especially the concept2 ones. I've only had a few gos at it but I've decided to start doing 5k's on a rower for cardio. Tried it once and it was the perfect length to get me winded as fuck but not entirely destroyed. Averaged a 2:11.8/500 m. Don't know what would be a good time to shoot for.

are you suppose to pull with your scapula or your arms

>Only level 8
No one I know does below level 10

>2 min workout
>500 metres

500 metres is like 3 strokes. What's your fitness level like?

i watched this video yesterday youtube.com/watch?v=sfnAhEAa_T8 and did it exactly like that. i have no idea if that's right though but in this video he uses arms.

does anyone know if this is proper rowing form or not?

youtube.com/watch?v=GXoZsgNHquM

>What's your fitness level like?
my cardio is pretty shit

Yeah rowing machines are great, especially if your heart rate is too high. I did rowing machine before workouts for the first two weeks going to the gym because I was nervous about lifting with my high resting heart rate. helped me do more reps without getting as tired (because I was lifting small amounts with high reps)

youtube.comwatch?v=oP6OR-G7AxM

Get the form right otherwise your times will be absolutely nowhere and you can injure yourself. And for the love of god don't put it anywhere near 10, if you go in options there's a drag test and it should be ballpark 130.

ty

Why is it always set to fucking 10, actual rowers only set it at like 3-4. Anyways just make sure you have proper form and all that, your first motion after you come all the way in should be exploding from your legs. If you're only doing 500m at a time shoot for 1:45-1:55 for each one if you're a beginner

Alright mate calm down.

Rowing machines are gay and you're gay for liking it

This. My brother rowed for 6 years and when we work out together he sets it at like, six. The only reason someone would set it to ten is if they want to look all impressive. It's really not though, most people can handle at least 5 minutes at level ten.

thanks. i'll do that next time

Best workouts for fitizens who want to row

6x500m, 4 minutes rest between each 500m

2000m as quick as you can, stroke rate 30+

2 x 4000m as fast as you can, and don't do anything longer than this

1 minute on 1 minute off times 10
High school rowers and girls set it to 4. Collegiate men use 6-8+ depending on their weight, but some are literally olympians so obviously not the average fitizen.

My personal favorite is 5 for anything near an hour long (which I don't fuck with anymore) and a 7 for 2000 meter pieces. It increases your torque the higher you go. You have to pull harder but you can pull less often. My best 2k time is 6:29. Was the fastest current member on my team for two years. But we weren't that good.

I'll hopefully be joining the rowing club for university this year. What should I expect?

>My personal favorite is 5
>My best 2k time is 6:29

Machine drag varies massively depending on wear and maintenance, a 5 for one machine could be an 8 for another. You don't pull sub 6:30 without knowing this.

Legs, core, arms, arms, core, legs

Pain, early mornings and your hands to look like they've been through a cheese grater. But its worth it.

Tight butts and free bulges in skin tight suits

every Veeky Forumsizens dream

There are a few important things.
First of all go for low stroke/min. 24-27 is fine. Doing more only makes fatigue kick in sooner.
You won't make better time rowing quicker, but rowing stronger. It's the same as rowing in water: the more often the pads hit the water the more often you get slowed down.
I always lmfao @ retards having an epileptic fever in the rower yet rowing at 2:10+

When doing the stroke movement do not use your arms in the beginning. Kick back with your legs as far as you can, once the kick is becoming weaker (legs almost entirely straight) start pulling with your arms and bend backwards. Your back should be straight and 45 degress to the ground at the finish of the move.

jesus christ you fags make me cringe

t. England

Just play the game you fucking faggot

Cardio has nothing to do with you taking 2 minutes to row 500m, nigga.

That just your back, calling you to say he saw the future, and it's full of snap city.

Why would i be going fast, i want to save my strength and i don't like my commander much

Also when we get there i don't want to be defeated by Alfred the great and eventually jewed out of "my lands" over the next few years

Retard the drag factor of about 140 is good

that was the number i saw on the screen but i have no idea what it represented. pretty sure it took less because it didn't feel like that long

>No one I know does below level 10

Nobody should be setting those things on level 10 - this machine is for cardio not to make gainz. You should set it, depending on what the computer tells you about the individual drag factor of the machine ( the dust in the drum affects it ) for, like, 6 to 7, 8 if you're a goddamn animal.

140 is similar to a real boat in normal water. It's all an approximation but 140 is a good default setting for an adult male.

You're not doing any work if you go below 10. All the machines in my gym are always at that level. Even cardio bunnies go at 10.

You guys are fucking morons. Setting your machines to 10 or even 7 or 8 is like rowing with bungee cords strapped onto the boat. All it does is make it unreasonably annoying to pull and doesn't do anything for gains. Setting it between 4 and 6 is optimal, and simulates the actual resistance of rowing

This is good for workouts

I'll also throw in a couple of my favorites too

>10x 2 minutes@95%, 2 minutes rest is GOAT
>30 and 60 minute pieces are good for cardio, 90 minute too but expect your ass to hurt afterwards
>5k at 75% is another good set piece as well

>you're not doing any work if you go below 10

This is wrong. There's a lot of dumbass shit being spouted in this thread and I feel the need to step in.

On most concept2 rowers the drag factor should be set to 7. Just put it at 7. The only guys who put it at 10 are literal monsters who pull sub 6 minute 2ks, which is not anybody ITT. Even those guys only do it when trying to get a PR time. Just put the drag factor at 7 and stop worrying about the fucking drag factor so much.

Next thing is technique. The erg is absolute god tier cardio and can be hugely beneficial but if your technique is shit you're not going to get a good workout and you're probably going to snap your shit up. Look up some YouTube videos or ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing to teach you. Most rowers would bust a nut if someone asked them for a quick lesson.

The 2000m sprint is the universal benchmark for rowing strength. Most workouts are based on your 2k split (that is, your 500m split on your best 2k piece). Once you get proper technique down do a 2k to see where you stand (2ks suck by the way. You're going to hate your life)

Most high school boys on a varsity boat pull under a 7 minute 2k which equates to a 1:45 500m split. D1 collegiate men are around 6:30 or under, the best collegiate rowers are in the low 6 minutes. Olympians are almost exclusively sub 6 minutes.

Any other questions feel free to ask. I've been rowing all my life and have competed at the international level on multiple occasions.

This
Just put on something like amon amarth and start rowing.

But Amon Amarth isn't viking metal you silly goose

My best 2k was 5:55. I rowed for the US team.

Lightweight women set the drag factor at 110. Heavyweight men train at 120, with a few up to 130. No one rows above 130.

Here is good form: youtu.be/KzxDRafnCtM

Fuck off cunt it was hilarious.

>my best 2k is a 5:55. I rowed for the US team.

Gay get the fuck out my board

you must be fun at parties

oh wait you don't get invited to any

I used to be a big fan of cranking the resistance to 10 and doing absolute apeshit on 500s when no one was at the gym.

No lie, best was 1.27 blasting fucking Pendulum-Propane Nightmares.

Almost died after though.

GUN SHOT BRIIIIDES