Why do people wear these masks? Do they actually help your ability to take in oxygen?

Why do people wear these masks? Do they actually help your ability to take in oxygen?

Other urls found in this thread:

adamcap.com/2013/11/29/nose-knows-case-nasal-breathing-high-intensity-exercise/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's the exact opposite of what they do

I have no idea but from the looks of it, it should be for conditioning, specifically for the lungs or something? it helps you take in lower oxygen and makes your lungs work twice as hard maybe?

4U

Restricts breathing, theoretically to force your body to use oxygen more efficiently and increase your endurance (heart rate stays higher). Highly detrimental to gaining muscle mass. Without being able to breath properly, you're not able to do as many reps, and reps + time under tension are what matter.

You could hold your breath and get the same effect. All it does is hinder breathing.

They stop sore throats and shot, esp. In winter.

IT'S BULLSHIT PURE FUCKING BULLSHIT

They help your ability to look like a twat.

>nobody cared who I wath until i put on the mathk

>that guy that wears that shit to the gym

its allways DYELS who do that, if i see you with that "device" i judge you, just to let u know, and so is everyone else doing.

>>that guy that wears that shit to the gym
>its allways DYELS who do that, if i see you with that "device" i judge you, just to let u know, and so is everyone else doing.

There's a guy that wears this shit at my gym, he's actually pretty built and strong too but he's also a total moron and never ever re-racks weights and barbells

If you're running in cold weather it's good... otherwise it does nothing.

It makes you look like a big guy

IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY PAINFUL

If I pull that mask off will he die?

That's the idea but they don't work. Altitude training works because the air is thinner and oxygen concentration is lower, that forces you to adapt to the adverse conditions you find yourself in.
Restricting air inflow does NOT affect O2 concentration, this makes the mask absolutely useless

He's just trying to improve his hamon breathing.

Don't forget to say that it takes days and days to adapt to altitudes
Source: I'm an alpinist

As professionals have said it: It's not an altitude simulating mask, it's an asthma-simulation mask

just exercise while breathing through a straw

Tell me about them.
Why do they wear the masks?

because they are intimidating

Why the. Fuck would you want to simulate asthma
T. asthmatic

they don't do anything
no improvement in oxygen take-in has ever been recorded using these things

they just make you look extreme, like you're really into it even when you're not really

lol who is this DYEL nigger

In reality, they'd do their job better (but still not well) if you wore them everywhere EXCEPT working out.

If they worked, Olympic and high level amateur (unsponsored) athletes would be using them. None do.

FULL BODY OCCLUSION!
For extra effect strap 100 rubberbands around your neck

because you'd be forced to breath harder in your daily life to get the same amount of oxygen? giving your diaphragm a workout that you could also get through cardio?

They're not for increasing your oxygen intake, they're there for making your lungmusculature stronger. So you can breathe quicker.

I actually got myself one of these. I do Battle of the Nations stuff and several friends of mine suggested these to simulate the retricted airflow of a helmet. I use it for cardio and sometimes when just chilling at home to train my diaphragm and condition myself mentally. Won't use it at the gym though because it looks dumb.

>I do Battle of the Nations stuff
nerd

It would be extremely painful

You're a big guy

Please explain to me what exactly is the lung musculature. I am almost a 100 % certain that you dont know what muscle group is responsible for the lungs to de and inflate

For you

>why do they wear the mask

>asking someone a pop quiz question when they have access to the internet
>this will surely prove whether or not they know what they're talking about

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Y-you too

Of course! Dr. Pavel refused our offer in favor of yours. We had to know what he told you about us.

>Please explain to me what exactly is the lung musculature.
Muscles you use to breathe

They are good for when running or cycling through a major smog infested city.

They add no other value to a work out

Nothing! I said nothing!

>oxygen concentration is lower
No, the oxygen concentration is exactly the same. Air is thinner, so you get less oxygen in total.
But oxygen still makes up ~21 % of the air.

So basically, if the mask helps you breathe in less air, it DOES simulate high altitude.

But this is not how high-altitude training works. Because that does by living in high altitude (at least for a bit). So your body gets used to it and produces more red blood cells to use the oxygen more efficiently.
Then, training/competing at normal altitude will give you an advantage because you get more out of the air.

so If you were to use it properly you would have to wear it at all times to condition yourself to breath less

Frankly, I am unsure if it makes you breathe in less air, or just makes you breathe harder.
If the former, then yes.

>Nobody knew who i was until i put on the mask

I am pretty sure its about producing more red blood cells and not about breathing less.
But yeah, you would have to wear that thing 24/7 for 1-3 weeks for a noticable effect.

>People already have what is basically the breathing mask and can use it without looking like an idiot

Have you ever seen that thing that is in the middle of your face also known as the NOSE?
Protip: Try doing cardio with only nasal breathing or sprints without mouth panting at the end.

Some reading for those interested, adamcap.com/2013/11/29/nose-knows-case-nasal-breathing-high-intensity-exercise/

Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask

WE WUZ CRASHIN DIS PLANE N' SHIEET

Fucking retarded. It's supposed to mimic altitude training. But people who do that need to STAY at high altitudes not for prolonged periods of time. Breathing through a big straw would produce the same effect, but thats pointless unless you plan on keeping the thing on for the rest of the day.

>wear a hooded sauna suit because I thought it burned fat
>wear gas mask to restrict breathing
>look like some guy cleaning up hazardous waste
>wear the same shit for almost two years
Why did I have to be so autistic?

Uuuu

I want to know what would happen if he took it off

Lol I actually saw a guy wearing this at my gym, I said "If I take that mask off, will you die" had a pretty good chuckle, solid dude, would banepostirl again.

>look like some guy cleaning up hazardous waste

thanks for the mental image user. thats badass.

I did the Everest base camp trek and up to Kala Pattar in September. Was told 2 weeks round trip, did it in 9. 2 rest days, one at 4000m and one at 5000m. Got as high as 5650. Very bizarre being so easily out of breath, but I didn't have any of the more severe symptoms

9 days, not weeks, of course.

If you'd like me to add to that image.
>gas mask is torn, so it's sewn up and has parts of a tire repair kit to create an air seal
>suit is also torn, so it has pieces of duct tape keeping it together
If I wasn't a poorfag, one would probably think I'm a faggot cosplaying.

>If I wasn't a poorfag, one would probably think I'm a faggot

I guess more of a faggot than I already am.