Mental fitness general

I've recently noticed how detached my consciousness from my physical body: often I can't quite control what I do. This manifests in bad habits, such as not eating enough, masturbating, oversleeping etc. This morning I actually decided to test how strong my self-control is. I woke up very early and tried to keep my eyes open. It was very hard, I badly wanted to fall asleep. Even keeping them open for just a few seconds was really hard, but I kept repeating to myself: "It's my body, I decide what it does!". It didn't take long before I was asleep again... That's when I realized I have virtually no willpower. How do I improve it? One thing that really helps is meditating. I currently use headspace dot com, helps clear the mind a lot. But how do I improve willpower and self-control?

Joke about inverse limits unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qE1dWwoJPU0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nerd

Count your calories

fuck you, you pompous nerd. I bet you can't even name three of those formulas without looking them up.

t. applied math graduate student.

First is the limit :)

Fucking cathegorists, there is nothing wrong with topological spaces, and not everybody can make a use of your muh chategories.

Go choke on a fucking snake diagram you arrow-cock-sucker.

People often fear and loathe what they don't understand.
>cathegory
Including spelling in this case.

>click on thread to learn about increasing willpower
>faggots talking about math
Get out of here nerds

Is there a good website or book that can teach me how to do these sums?

Depending on your level you could start with Baby Rudin

>name those formulas

what is there to name? they're all definitions, brainlet

it is rather amusing to see a mathematician make the classic logical error of affirming the consequent. You say people often fear what they don't understand, with the implication that the poster you're replying to fears categories for this reason. yet simply because someone fears something, it does not follow that they do so because they do not understand it.

How ironic that the one who's trying to talk shit about mathematicians is the autistic one who doesn't understand contextual semantics and sarcasm.
>inb4 merely pretending

if you couldn't see that my post was actually highly sophisticated satire, then your the autist.I guess i shouldn't have expected the dumb meatheads on this bored to be able to handle my razor-sharp wit. *sigh*

High school level?

mental fitness > physical fitness

EVERYTHING IS MENTAL

you can have the best body in the world and still be fucked if your mind is shit

meditate people, meditate

Start with Euclid then lmao

The book?

Meditating just made me more depressed desu senpai

The person

that means you have things to deal with

its bringing them up

its a good thing

face it don't be a pussy

you'll be better off once you do

>"Detached my conciousness"
Pretending to be on some spiritual plane
>Lots of complicated numbers which really don't mean shit
Kek

Op, I know your type. You're a huge up yourself nerd. Work on that.

Anyway, disassociation is a psychology thing. Get enough sleep, and also try to deal with anything causing you stress or anxiety. Your head can do what you described when you're under a lot of stress. When the stress and anxiety start to subside in your life, these symptoms will subside too.

I've gone through this shit myself multiple times, and alcohol doesn't help, since I'm guessing that's gonna occur to you soon. Don't try to drown it in whisky.

Exercise also helps. When you're pushing yourself your mind seems to flick back into your body a little. This is anecdotal though. The only non anecdotal part is to deal with your shit so the stress starts to abate.

I would but I have shit to do
It's hard enough for me to give a shit about my shit job and shit school without bringing up all my subconscious mental demons and shit
Maybe if I ever get a year or two off when I'm 80 or something

your mental health should be your #1 concern

honestly

this might sound weird but its true ... your mind is your reality

it's your entire world, making it nice and comfortable and cleaning out all the shit is way way way more important than school or some shitty job

Where's my awakened niggas at?

im like mid awakening now, mini ego deaths at night when im sleeping , weird shit happening, strange perceptions

can feel my ego crumbling

shit is honestly wild, i used to not be spiritual or believe any of this shit but im experiencing now its crazy

i had no idea it got this intense lmfao

ima keep floatin tho, see where it goes

Well when it comes to that waking up bit you were taking about, literally pounce out of bed and start moving, don't lay there. Also increasing your will power is easy. You have a choice...you always have a choice at every decision point you come to. Ex. Do I wake up now or lay in bed?, do I watch tv or do I read and study? Do I go to the gym today or don't I? Literally at every decision point you have a choice and by recognize that each and every time you have a better chance at making the right decision the one that you know in your own mind is the step in the right direction. That choice in the right direction is made easier if you have a goal and by recognizing that and remembering it at each decision point further reiterates that goal and makes hitting the mark on that next decision point easier and easier until it becomes habit or until you have reached your goal. Start with small goals and set yourself up for success. If you cave in ever don't beat yourself up just recognize it and make up for it at that next decision point. Also once you've reached a goal you've set for yourself immediately set another so that your always reaching. Stay hungry. Good luck

Tell me more. As in breaking down barriers from earlier in your life?

not really barriers, more like structures

my belief structures and perceptions of the world and myself are kinda falling apart because they don't make sense with what im experiencing

it's all just dissolving

i would think im going crazy but from what i re-searched online this is actually a normal experience

from practicing meditation and mindfulness i've sunk into my own awareness and am able to step back from myself and just watch

this started small, i used to be only able to watch my mind while meditating but now it's something i'm always aware of

which was kinda freaky at first because thought loses all its solidity, when you're aware of your mind thought isn't so captivating, it used to be my whole world in sense but now it's just like background noise

thought just get swallowed by silent awareness and in the beginning your left there like "damn"

it feels like the ground just drops out from under you

its a very strange feeling and somewhat scary feeling but once you see it you can't unsee it so you just have to accept it

Good post, listen to this guy OP

tips to get to this?
How long did it take from when you started? how long do you meditate each day? what is some good reading/resources to look into?

Is there a difference from meditating and "mindfulness meditation"...i never understood which to do.

the power of now by ekhart tolle is a good starter book

here's a talk by ekhart, he goes over some of the basic ideas youtube.com/watch?v=qE1dWwoJPU0

zen mind beginners mind is a good book too but it a little advanced

allan watts lectures on youtube are good too

all these resources will give you intellectual understanding

there are two levels of understanding the first is intellectual, where you can grasp the ideas with thought

the second is understanding without thought, silence, just feeling

i do mindfulness meditation 30 min everyday, i started with 2 min a day and worked my way up. all meditations achieve the same goal of focusing the mind and becoming aware. the only difference is the colors

daily meditation is necessary for waking up

you're also going to want to practice mindfulness when you are not meditating, it's basically just being aware of your mind and body. it will be hard at first but if you're persistent in cultivating awareness you will gradually become more and more aware

you probably won't be able to do mindfulness until you start to get the hang of meditation, you have to get used to being the observer of your mind. it's a skill and takes some time to develop

don't try to rush anything, it won't come through force

So you gain more willpower by using it, that's what I thought. By the way, that's how focus works too: a neurobiologist told me about that. By being focused on your current task you develop parts of your brain corresponding to ability to focus.
It sounds like you finally discovered MDMA or LSD. If you did all this without drugs, good on you!
>implying applied math has anything to do with math
You sir are a pretentious faggot and should stick to finding deltas for any given epsilon.

LSD helped but it was more so just a point in the direction, meditation is what actually did it

>tfw in Calc 2 right now.
>tfw can't fucking do basic antiderivatives.
>tfw every single homework problem takes me 30 minutes with a lot of dedicated handholding
>tfw can tell that this stuff is actually very easy and basic, I just physically cannot comprehend what the fuck I'm supposed to do when looking at a problem.
>tfw there's a fucking test tomorrow
>tfw I'm browsing Veeky Forums instead of studying

We're not all gonna make it guys.

Just wait until you start feeling like youre floating. I have to watch my marijuana intake because if I get too stoned I lose my "sense" of being grounded and end uo feeling like Im walking on air or having the walls shift on me as I make my way through the room.

All perception is mind, truly.

Once you begin to entertain the notion of vast emptiness, reaching forward and backwards non-linearly through time God starts to fuck with you, but its mostly because he cares. Take care of yourself bud.

>tfw im in calc 1 and feel the same way about a test I took this morning
i am nigger tier at math for some reason

Hope you guys are done with math at calc 2, otherwise your next class will be diff eq and it'll probably make you want to kill yourselves if you're already like this

haha weed fucks with me too, i pretty much stopped smoking because it gets too intense, kinda sucks i used to love weed. i'm better without it tho so it's all good haha

can't say that god fucked with me but at this point i wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened desu

I'd like to get into meditation a bit more. I only really do it throughout the day to collect myself and very rarely at night.

I'm a pretty mindful dude, though. Alan Watts is definitely a good reference. Have you ever heard of Terrence Mckenny? I'm sure you'd enjoy his lecture titled: "nobody is smarter than you."