I've seen a lot of posts where anons complain about their lives, so why not enlist (or commission)?

I've seen a lot of posts where anons complain about their lives, so why not enlist (or commission)?

eg
> join Marines,go through Basic and MOS school
> go on a float
> just lift, kill time, and sometimes do cool shit
> get paid for it
> instead of what you're doing now, which is not getting paid to lift and kill time

If I was American I would join the Marines any time. But I'm not. I'm thinking about the French Foreign Legion but I've heard you need to be an absolute cardio bunny

>Inb4 "DYING FOR ISRAEL"

Seriously though. If so many people on here have as shitty lives as they claim, wouldn't joining the military be the perfect way to turn it around?

You can enlist in the US military as a non citizen, you just need a green card.

I've never met a person who didn't regret joining the military these men had wives kids and houses and great work ethic.

I wanted to enlist but tfw lower back cyst disqualifier from meps now I'm a mailman and hate my life.

Fuck off recruiters.

You have to realize that Veeky Forums, for the vast majority, don't have the normal capacity to accept responsibility for their predicament in life.

>Veeky Forums excuse: I'm a manlet/muscle insertions are bad
>/r9k/ excuse: I'm ugly and no girls like me
>/pol/ excuse: the jews, niggers and SJW
>/g/ excuse: normies that use Apple/Windows products

Their problems, in their eyes, aren't because of their own doing but rather from some external force that will always be there. And the thing is that this external force is always shifting; making it impossible to ever fix their problems. So joining the army wouldn't actually do anything because then it would just switch to

>muh sergeant
>muh group leader
>muh gubment
>muh pay
>muh long day
>muh late-night patrols
>muh grants
>muh weight of equipment

it's always something.

I've got a MS and often contemplate going to OTS before I get too old, but at the same time I'm trying to pursue an acting career and one would not leave me with enough free time for the other.

This is the smartest thing I have ever read on this website

Not even, under MAVNI someone with a wanted skill can enlist after 2 years of of residence

From? Maybe I know something you don't

I'm Belgian

>>muh group leader
Unless it's aircraft, it's probably squad, team, or platoon leader. If they wanna bitch, they can POG it

Yvan eht nioj

Navy here. About 15 guys from various African countries in my boot camp division enlisted to get citizenship

Visible tattoos not allowed

>Going in the field for a month at a time not getting to lift

I'm considering joining the Royal Marines as an electrician. I think I'll get qualified outside, and join when I'm 20.

Anyone can join the FFL, as long as they have papers in English/French and are fit enough.

I thought about doing that, but my issue is getting the green card.

I was in the Légion Étrangère for 5 years. Strongly advise againt joining unless you literally have no other option. It's not a joke, it's not an "adventure". It has its cool moments and I have my "cool stories" but for the most part it's a massive waste of 5 years.

If you have a skill, we want you. If you're a NEET, it will be pretty hard.

>tfw too old to join military
>tfw I'd go to Iraq in a heartbeat to get away from her and those little brats

Why pay for quals when the mod can pay for you

Do you even get any qualifications?

Coincidentally, I think Belgium recruits other EU citizens. I dunno what the problem with joining your own military is unless you're Irish or Swiss and wanna see action

I'm under 19, so I get it for free.

Yes, but they're more or less worthless, especially outside of France.

Well I'm enrolled in uni; studying history but lagging behind. Luckily that stuff is almost free here in Belgium.

Next month I risk being convicted for assault 'cause I punched a guy's teeth out. That's why I'm thinking of joining.

>a massive waste of 5 years.
Why? Care to elaborate?

You'll have to be a general duties commando for like 2 years tho

Unless you're Delta or a grunt in an FOB in Trashcanistan, that's not really a problem

At least in the UK Army, the quals you get are applicable in Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.

Yeah I want to see action. The Belgian Army does nothing and all Belgians hate Belgium too for some particular reason

I'll be enlisting in the legion next year m8. From what I've read basic training is for complete dyels, just dumbass cardio endurance. However the 2nd paratrooper division sounds pretty neat.

>Slagen en verwondingen

Did he deserve it?

I'm joining the RM over the RAF because of that, though. I want to get some decent fighting training.

Given the choice between prison and the legion, I might choose the legion. Then again, if you're Belgian, how bad can prison there be?

>Why? Care to elaborate?

Basically you're stationed in remote places on the planet, the pay is relatively low. While you don't really pay for anything, you won't save much, you'll be serving with people who will be very criminal and/or stupid. Unless you're generally a very "tough" person it's going to be hard to adapt. This is coming from someone who genuinely has never been "tough" - I had to get into several fist fights just to earn a little bit of respect. It's really nothing like the actual military - the french commanders will disrespect you, the foreigners will usually from small groups, everyone will be very stand-offish and many of them will try to act like tough guys etc.

The whole experience was just very unpleasant. The training was brutal and ineffective, it focused more on trying to seem like some action-movie version of an "elite unit" and the training you will do sometimes will just seem nonsenically brutal and pointless. It's just a lot of cleaning/patrolling etc.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion about why I shouldn't join the legion m8.

Don't underestimate it though. The pull ups and push ups will be easy if you lift but running is religion in La Légion

Yeah I think so but according to the cucked law here I am in the wrong. I was having a drink in a bar when this totally wacked out guy started to harass me and my friends, then he stole from me (a book that was laying on the table) and walked out of the bar. We ran after him and confronted him with his behaviour, but he started pushing me so I lost my calm and just lashed out at him. I hit him once but he lost 4 of his teeth.

Going to 29palms a month at a time is common even is peacetime Marine Corps. Grunts, Artillery and any POG supporting them them do ITX 2-3 times a year.

It's just pretty much pointless overall and just unnecessarily unpleasant. You'll be treated like shit, you'll be talked to like shit, the macho-posturing is going to make you want to puke after the first month. The commanders will act like they're in a james bond movie or some shit, but you'll realise within a first week they're all just incompetent bureaucrats. The people serving with you will be dumb and uneducated, a lot of them will be violent and possibly unstable.

Look into the Belgian Army then, maybe you'll find something. Para-Commando and Special Forces sounds appetizing

Basic is the same as the French Army. But they have a selection. 3REI are badasses too

>The training was brutal and ineffective, it focused more on trying to seem like some action-movie version of an "elite unit" and the training you will do sometimes will just seem nonsenically brutal and pointless.
My understanding was that things were kept simple because of the language barrier

They won't send me to prison for that though. They may give me a fine or a conditional prison sentence. The thing is that that guy is demanding a huge compensation of almost 20k euros...

I heard the pay was around 1300 euros? That's not too bad if you're not spending anything. What you are describing sounds like prison though. What kind of groups were formed? Did the Slavs stick together?

What'd you do to prepare physically

At what point can you transfer to the special forces type things where there's actual training though? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

>My understanding was that things were kept simple because of the language barrier

It's not mentally complex, it's just physically tiring and unncessary. I can't really think of an example right now, but you'll find yourself doing some drill and thinking "What is this preparing me for?" because you will never be able to apply it to any real world scenario.

Yeah, I'm not slavic, but I spoke russian and a bit of a polish so I got along with all of them. It's most africans/asians that literally stick together and rarely communicate with anyone else.

Nothing, I was 25 when I joined and had been lifting/doing sports for like 10 years up to that point, I was in top tier condition.

Feels bad man, at least you can lift in prison or get an "enkelband".

I hope I never get cucked like that or I'll lose my gun licenses.

This is why I'm voting VB next time around!

Like, what fitness benchmarks would recommend being able to hit before joining? How many pushups, pullups, situps, 4 mile time, etc.

There's actual training in the infantry or whatever other combat unit. Special operations units have selection where guys are tested on their skills and abilities. Some units have benchmarks like "serve 2 years before applying" and some can be done right away. Just never give up even if you're not selected or else they'll fuck you up

From what I've seen, you should be able to run 2.4 km in under 10 minutes and dead lift 40kg. That's the minimum for combat roles in the UK Army. I'd assume it'd be similar to the foreign legion.

I don't know to be honest, I never thought about it.

A lot of the people who signed up with me were DYEL asians/arabs. I'd say if you're consistently lifting decent weight, you can do like 10 pullups and like 50 pushups you'll probably be fine.

As for running, just try and get as much used to it as possible, you'll basically be running/walking/marching non stop for 5 years.

>cannon fodder

perfect job for retards

'Cause everyone knows the only job in the military is infantry

Totally not like you can get professional qualifications, without paying for them and can get relevant experience.

What did you do when you left the Légion? I can imagine it's hard to pick up civilian life after 5 years. Did your employer value your expierence?

Well I don't think they will jail me or give me an enkelband for a punch on guy's face... But you never know here in Lelgium.

Yeah fuck it I vote VB too

I went back to uni and graduated with a degree in software engineering. Employers don't really care.

Wew, why did you join in the first place if you're smart enough to obtain a software engineering degree?

How's the general IQ in the Legion anyways? Are there a lot of dumbasses or also some smart ones now and then?

The problem is that I don't know what I'd do afterwards. I would enlist, do some cool shit for a certain amount of years, and then what? I'd be stuck doing some bullshit job unless I went to through college as a late twentysomething, and the reason I'd join in the first place is to get away from college. I can't stand the atmosphere, all these fucking trust fund babies who only come here to skip class and drink themselves into a coma every weekend.

>Wew, why did you join in the first place if you're smart enough to obtain a software engineering degree?

It's not really that hard. It's just about investing time and energy into it. I'm not even remotely intelligent or good with computers or anything like that.

>How's the general IQ in the Legion anyways?

Literally 90% of the people there are close to being mentally retarded. You'll definitely meet some genuinely intelligent people, but most of the people there will be try-hards or morons. The asians/africans especially are dumb as fuck.

I've served in my country's military, it only made my life worse

Military's a great place to learn, in the US you can test and get credits while you server. Either go in for a trade and learn it or
> battle buddy is an electrician or some shit
> gets out
> you get out and he gets you a job

Was thinking about being a SEAL. If I had a 100% guarantee I would make it in I would. What happens is if you dont pass whatever test they just put you in the normal navy, you cant opt out if you fail BUD/S or whatever youre still contracted. I dont want to do bitch work on a boat I want to kill sandniggers with tacticool shit

What are conditions in the Marines like, basic training and post-basic for a 24 year old man in decent physical condition? Do younger Marines give older recruits a lot of shit for not being their age? Does it make interactions/general attitudes negative for whatever reason? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've been wanting to join for a long time now, but never had the balls. Now with Trump *possibly* ramping up defense spending in the near future I'd like to consider my possibilities in the military.

You could be a Corpsman, or enlist in a grunt MOS in the Army or Marines. Then you've got Ranger, SF, Recon, MARSOC, whatever.

>Do younger Marines give older recruits a lot of shit for not being their age?
You're 24, the 18 or 19 year old in your squad or team is too busy being an awkward fuck.

That shit isnt as cool though. I want to do it so I can pretend to be solid snake and for the bragging rights. Saying youre a ranger isnt nearly as cool as a SEAL

I joined USMC at 26. You're usually given a little bit more respect, IF you act like you're more mature than a kid out of high school. In the end age doesn't matter.

As a 27 year old hitting the fleet with a wife and kid it was a little rough getting yelled at by 20 year old Cpls, but I got left alone after showing them I wouldn't go buy a mustang for 20% APR and marry a stripper.

Then it sounds like you're a 14 year old kid that's played too much Battlefield. Fucks like you get washed out anyway. It's not just athleticism and intelligence that's tested, but also character. You'd get peered out quick if you even made it through Hell Week, Cole Range, or whatever else

I leave for MCRD San Diego next Monday (0400) and I'm nervous that I will somehow get dropped due to some random sprain or fracture. What happens exactly if I get shin splints or something else? Does it depend on the severity of the injury that determines whether you get sent home? I know the military is downsizing so this has me worried.

If I don't come back from MCRD as a Marine my family will probably exile me from the roost, so I want to make sure I graduate and not get kicked out for some minor sprain.

>wanting to do cool shit with lots of social benefits means I have bad character

Im probably a more well rounded person than you desu

How's this routine senpai? Training for strength, size, and athleticism. I wanna ace that PFT

Weighted Pull Ups: 3x4-6, 1xAMRAP
Weighted Dips: 3x4-6, 1 AMRAP
Reverse Barbell Curl: 2x8-12
Skullcrushers: 2x8-12
Hanging Leg Raises w/Pushups: 3xf

2-3x per week
Off days are meant for cardio. Except Sunday.

Pic related is me. Someone else edited it when I posted original a while back

>I want to do it so I can pretend to be solid snake and for the bragging rights. Saying youre a ranger isnt nearly as cool as a SEAL
They're "quite professionals" for a reason. The 10% rule applies to shit bags, like you, that are lucky and overwhelmingly athletic and intelligent. They'd either weed you out or "physically correct" you anyway

is 27 to old?

Is what I'm doing. Joinning the artillery in Canada here. Basic trainning starting in 2 weeks. I guess it's the best decision of my life, seeing how my life wasn't going anywhere.

The US military has training guides, whether it's for PFTs or SOF. Also, ask your recruiter, there's a lot they can do to help you prepare

Not in the US

>I've never met a person who didn't regret joining the military
>never met someone who didn't regret
>I wanted to enlist but
So they all regret joinning the military and because of that you wanted to enlist?

Currently in military, undergoing FMTB as an FMF Corpsman. Had a SARC contract for a bit, decided to turn it down and wait to train more before going to BRC.

I have a couple buddies who were BUD/S duds. Let me give you some insider information you most likely won't find on the internet:

BUD/S is a complete, stupid shit show. The whole "90% mental, 10% physical" thing is bullshit. You will get fucked with and treated like absolute dog shit. Instructors will purposely add minutes to everyone's 4 mile beach run just so they can performance drop them.
People going in are riding off the dream they got when they read a book by a SEAL, or watched a movie, or read a pamphlet. They have this idea that being a SEAL is nothing but coolness.

But it's not. It's nothing but pain, misery, and salt. It won't get any easier.

But maybe you're the kind of guy who lives for the suck. The community is strong and tight. A complete brotherhood.

Do some real deep soul searching. Is this something you REALLY want to do? You're not any less of a man if you find out it's not for you.
But if you are, give it 100%. Keep in mind, sometimes that's not enough

Marine Artillery Bro here, you're going to get hazed but you're going to love it.

Depending on the severity they will give you meds and tell you to suck it, or drop you to a broke dick platoon. They won't kick you out for something small and easy to recover.

>BUD/S is a complete, stupid shit show. The whole "90% mental, 10% physical" thing is bullshit. You will get fucked with and treated like absolute dog shit. Instructors will purposely add minutes to everyone's 4 mile beach run just so they can performance drop them.
It is mental though. It's having the mental strength to endure that shit and still deciding you wanna go on. I'll give you a couple
> be me (who else?)
> Ranger Indoc
> Cole Range
> walkers smoked the shit out of us, it was a shitty day, light drizzle
> put us in a truck, drive us around
> think we're finally out of it
> truck stops, opens up
> we're back at Cole Range
Several guys quit right then. Then there was also
> you're gonna hold your rucks up until someone quits

This was one of my faves though.
> walker absolutely smoking the shit out of us
> tag teams
> good cop bad cop
> gives us a little motivational speech
> Alright guys, I want all of you to lay facedown on the ground, arms around your head (so you can't see)
> what the fuck
> You can quit and still be a good American and serve your country blah blah blah
> heard the guy to my left and right get up

BRC means you're going Recon, right? Good luck, doc. Seen Generation Kill btw?

I joined the Air National Guard. They are going to train me in cyber warfare. Aside from the first year which will be full time at basic training + tech school + 6 months on the job training, and any deployments (my unit is network warfare and deploys to my own state so I don't even have to go anywhere), I'll be part time. With the training, certifications, and top secret clearance, I plan to get a cushy job for a security contractor or directly for the government.

Nigga you and me both know, half these fucks would be pogs in the fleet, hate fucking life and kill themselves

>run a lot and do push and pull ups
>suffer malnutrition and get diarrhoea all the time
>learn how to use a load of useless gadget on your gun and person and never use them
>call in air support
>get shot and die thousands of miles from home
Or
>survive and end up massively injured or with a parasite in your stomach
#just military things

Thanks man. Was wondering about that. Personnally I was looking for any combat job really, but A)artillery looked like heck of a teamwork, and pretty interesting too. And B)I heard tall guys were a preference for the artillery. Since I'm 6'8 I went for that. Only feedbacks I had from it were through friends of guys actually in the field so I was hyped and interested, but It was still not clear what it was gonna be like. Any tips for a futur new guy?

Do a Tyrone and go out for a pack of cigarettes.

>Any tips for a futur new guy?
Diddlys and squats

Fat fuck shit bag.
They're not typical.

>learn how to use a load of useless gadget on your gun and person and never use them
what gadgets are you talking about

Or, not be a retard, get high scores on your ASVAB, get a job in intel/contracting/cyber/nuclear-related stuff/whatever.

#just Air Force things

you forgot

>risk life and kill people in the name of Israel and Saudi Arabia

Army will give you a purpose if you have none.

If you have a future, the army will take it away from you and replace it with a shityer version of it.

It's usually full of retards anywhere you go, they will bring you down with them.

read:

>Not even, under MAVNI someone with a wanted skill can enlist after 2 years of of residence

what is a wanted skill?

Why would anyone join the Army over the Marines/Navy/Air Force, unless their father is an Army general or something, OR they're idiots?

Healthcare and languages. Look it up for more info

Height doesn't matter with 777s, Either be fucking strong since you might be slinging 110lb rounds for hours on, end weeks at a time or smart. Don't piss off your Chief lel

>too old

Haha, you can get a waiver you shit sandwich. When I went through Navy boot camp, there was 38 year old mother of 3 in my division.

Lel that is pretty funny actually. I kind of get a small kick out of people flipping out over obvious fuck-fuck games, despite the fact that you're losing your team one by one and that sucks.

>You're going Recon, right?

In a while, yes. But now I plan on running with 2nd Marines as their doc to build a good foundation of being the finest doc and getting as strong as I can.

I did land a contract, but the what sucks for me is my pull ups and my swim just a little bit, so I felt inclined to turn it down until I hit at least an 285 PFT. is me.

Got any advice btw on how to improve strength in that area? I eat a lot of food and try to follow the routine I posted hoping it'll make me stronger.

Rah, Ranger bro
Also haven't seen GK yet lmao

i backed out of joining at the last second, now trying to determine if i want to do ROTC or go to westpoint/USNA

i already have 2 years of college done, so time is tight

>tfw just want to do infantry in marines

Any faggot can do that. Enjoy being a Lance for 4 years and cleaning a lot. At least you'll get some if you hit the right unit at the right time. Just go do iy.

Join Chair Force. Get any job that has TS/SCI level clearance. Use all extra time to do whatever the fuck you want, and get out and make good money on the outside, degree or no.

There. Easy mode life unlocked.