BJJ

I'm starting BJJ on Wednesday but I'm currently training Stronglifts for the past month. Should I lift before I train BJJ or after? Do you guys take any supplements? Also which muscles are most used in BJJ?

I do Submission Wrestling and I usually lift after
It's a really intense workout for your entire body, but upper body takes the most

Find someone slightly better than you to train with
Not so good that they always rek you, just slightly better

Can you make significant gains from training after? Aren't you too tired?

I'd say not to worry too much as you will be doing mostly technique but you should treat BJJ as cardio

What's with bjj getting suddenly popular in white countries the past 5 years??

Mma hype was over in the early 2000s. Nobody goes around wearing tapout shirts/saying "i train ufc" anymore.

Wherever i go in LA nowadays is fuck filled with BJJ gym. Back when i started to train 12 years ago finding one was very fucking difficult.

Is bjj the new sport meme? Or is it a way for skinny numales to find a way to feel like they can 'fight'?

It's a cash cow man. Also, if youve been training 12 years you'd have your black belt. Open an academy and let the dollars roll in.

bjj is the new wing chun

bjj works we all know, i'm talking about the pyramidal organization and love for money.

Also is a "soft martial arts", you can train without ever taking a punch.
Easy to build up a "mc dojo class" full of looser with hype...

>white countries
what's with race baiting getting popular in the west in the past 5 years?

This bugs me.

I did a lua/kenpo mix for 11 years, it's extremely punch "heavy", everything is done with the intent to hit you so you learn to actually fight.

Soft martial arts are spiritual, and there are many better options.

He clearly never lived through the 80's and 90's. Between Double Dragon, 3 Ninja, and the Karate kid, it was hard NOT to see martial arts obsession in the US (especially)

Not taking a punch, but a knee to the face or a broken foot

Kek no.

Started at 9 years old and im still at brown belt due to moving around a lot.
Even if i did got my black belt, no one wants to get taught by a 21-22 year old kid.

Because bjj school standards are laughable in USA/Canada/UK. The only 'white' country that i know with alot of decent bjj schools are usually ran by huge tatted bearmode slavs in Moscow with sambo background and they do shit tons of sweep practices/arm drags/takedown training even as day 1 black belt

Very few high ranking people and the ones that do show up roll like they have a fucking squat plug inside their ass.
Majority of these schools only care about money, and do shit like "start rolling only from sitting"/no takedowns/shit sweeps and drags/encourage pulling guard + butt scooting a la miyao brothers. When i first came to rio to train as high purple belt, a skinny 140 lb early blue belt kid with literal shitstains on his handwoven gi literally steam rolled through me.
Any night i come training i can expect 10+ black belts rolling EVERY single night.

It's not baiting if it's true.

Do you compete? If you have a few championships on your back I'm sure there'll be people willing to take classes with you.

Blow Job Junior

I'm currently doing grappling after a lifetime of striking, i'm not saying wrestling is soft, but that you can train bjj "softly".

Go to an amateur class in any gym and you can see a lot of people doing "flow" and "not using force".
People starting on the floor also...

Also this, I've heard a lot of similar storyes (specifically the stained Gi...)

>Do you guys take any supplements

I did bjj for a year until I had to quit due to work promotion and it was very fun and good workout. Only thing that sucked was It was hard to roll someone near my weight and belt class. One class I was the only white belt with shittons of purple belts and 2 black belts. You will feel useless and you will get your ass kicked not simply they are in better shape but better skill than you. Overall I enjoyed it

What is wrong with training in a relaxed fashion? Not everyone can afford or wants to go balls to the walls hardcore training everyday.
As long as the teachers are honest about this and don't tell their students they are lethal weapons now.

Just be glad people are atleast engaging in sports/physical exercise, they could be on the couch at home watching netflix or sperging on a chilean taco making website.

And this way of thinking is why bjj schools in usa is literally comedy for brazilian bjj schools.

Well, I'm Brazilian so I won't have this problem on Wednesday.

After. If you want to lift it only makes more sense to weight lift after you train because its easier for you to adapt your lifting if you hurt something in class than the other way around.

Just starting out your biggest thing is grip strength. My first few classes my arms felt like they were going to fall the fuck off.

>MMA hype was over

Nah. MMA is a large reason why BJJ is so big. That and that gracies making themselves well known over the past decade.

Add that to the fact its a form of self defense you don't have to worry about getting your brain rattled around to go 100% in.

I prefer to lift before BJJ. If you can roll while you're fatigued once you get to competition feeling fresh you will kill it. Deadlifts are probably the GOAT for bjj.

>white belt
>thinking anyone gives a fuck about his advice/preference whatsoever

How fucking cute.

Did no gi for a long time at a gym that didn't offer gi classes. I'm at a Carlson Gracie affiliate now and they don't recognize no gi experience in their belting. Stay mad chasing belts pleb.

so you sandbagged and rolled in the white belt division for an ego boost?

I box on my rest days

It usually goes like this

Mon: Volume day
Tue: Boxing
Wed: Volume day or explosive lifting day (trying to recover here and be explosive, maybe sprinting if i'm too sore from monday)
Thurs: Boxing
Fri: Max Effort day
Sat: Boxing

Sunday rest

I'm pretty sure there are American schools that do train hardcore to prepare for mma matches too.

Whats wrong with having both.

I rolled my bracket in Gi and no Gi. There were a few 4 year white belts ready to get their blue belts there. Not sure where you live or what gym you train at but around me the belting process is painfully slow. Most schools keep high level white belts for the points they get at IBJJF. I'm not a stud jits guy but I'm finally at a gym that is credible and after competing a few times I see why they don't fast track belts.

I'd hate to break it to you but they can see you're skilled. Most likely they're keeping you a white belt so they can squeeze more money out of your gullible soft ass.

When i started bjj as a judo black belt in team nogueira (ran by minotauro), he was able to spot and basically assisted me in advancing to purple belt within 2 years.

Is bjj becoming "mainstream", /fit?

Most muscles you use are your hands and forearms because youre constantly gripping. Also your core for bridging and hip escapes

Before. Build a big strong body and you will have a very nice advantage

Leave it to Veeky Forums faggots to turn this thread into a "buhhh American BJJ is a joke" circlejerk lol

Of course there are shitty gyms but there are plenty of legit grapplers in the states. Some of which are taught by guys who actually trained in EU/Brazil. It's for fun. It's useful in certain defense situations. Not everyone wants to learn fucking Krav Maga and kick people in the balls.

OP, lift after. Muscles used will be mostly back, forearm/grip, and core muscles. Take protein.

Keenan pls go

our best fighters have gyms in the us. there are more bjj icons teaching outside of our country thsn there . roger and the estimas are in england, everyone else is in the US

Your 'best fighters' are not only subpars compared to world standard, they also routinely make trips to sao paulo/moscow/dubai etc to train.

Literally no american ADCC champs train year long in USA save maybe kron gracie but his dad is THE rickson gracie so it doesnt count

Yea, back then it was just Jean-Jaque and his cousins out there in LA.

A 21yo instructs the beginners class at my gym. His ego is actually in check and he goes into absolute micro details of rice and beans jiu jitsu. I've learned something every time I've done his class. I've started helping out with children recently because I'm a manlet, but nothing I can say describes the feeling of pride and accomplishment I get when one of these kids does a specific technique in a tournament that I took the time to drill with them.

Anyway, don't get down about your current training situation, just change it up. You're still super young with a bunch of cartilage remaining in your knees. It's time to get back after it, and earn that black beltch

>t. never trained jiu jitsu before

That's because you're already a grappling god, you fucking idiot. There's a big difference from just having having a black belt in judo and "did some no gi for a little bit"

How can you even compare the two?

>LA

>Do IRL Smash Bros (BJJ)
>Come on Veeky Forums
>You're too white and you're not even doing wavedashes like M2K or Mango

Never change Veeky Forums. Just kidding, stop being shitty.

go in fresh. roll on open mat after classes. take 1-3 days off. go into class again. trust me.

Are these any good?

simple. bjj competition in america. sounds like you could eliminate all your questions with simple internet searches.

also tapout got bought and they're a part of the wwe. in fact most mma brands like that tend to die out after a few years. reebok is another story.

i see la and the bjj game sort of like the bmx game in la. i mean all the damn shops are out there and the scene is known but not really well known. however this is a weak comparison.

i think everything can be a meme. it just depends on which specific internet target audience is agreeing upon something as being so.

>BJJ

Is there a more worthless martial art for defense? It's amazing in a controlled MMA match but it's beyond worthless in a street fight situation.

lol no shit

Unless you're going into a 1 vs 1+ match, it most certainly is not.

me

a high level bjj guy would probably take out an average joe just wrapping him up.

in a street fight i'm preeeetty damn sure a bjj guy on any level wouldn't JUST use bjj. makes no sense not to use the right weapons at the right time does it sherlock? only guys i see using JUST BJJ in a street fight are like 10 year old white belts. lol! bjj can be used to control the opponent while minimizing injury too.

i just don't see the logic in your linear argument.

The whole martial art is rolling around on the floor with no striking. Who the fuck would pay money to learn this shit? Why not Judo or a striking art?

Because there is a good chance you'll end up pressed against a wall/pressing someone against the wall/be down on the ground.

If someone shoots on you and takes you down, your striking ability is greatly diminished, as is being pressed up against a wall.

Ok, so Judo or Sambo are infinitely better in those situations.

Because time has shown strikers turn into little Bitches the moment you get them on the ground. God forbid you get behind a striker

I take protein and creatine.

It's a full body workout.. probably your arms, forearms are used most though. People tell me I have a vice grip and all I train is BJJ.

Right, because judo is known for submissions once you're on the ground. /s

No hate on Sambo, though.

This has been gone through so many times.

Boxing > judo / wrestling > BJJ > other shit for self defence IMO.

bjjstreetfights.tumblr.com shows heaps of videos where it works.

it depends. street fights are essentially low level mma fights. obviously a judo or sambo guy wouldn't just use that. obviously a boxer wouldn't just use boxing if she got tied up or went to the ground. so who's to say a bjj guy wouldn't do what he needs to do too?

what about me? a low level boxer like 1 or 2 years in would probably take out a low level bjj guy if all they only did was that. also the boxer would control the distance at such levels. when you get to higher levels there are more variables.

The point is that BJJ is pure groundwork.

How do you quickly deal with a drunk asshole hitting on your girl without cops getting involved?

>Yo bro, I dare you to come into my full guard once I lie down on my back

> boxing

Hahahahahahahahaha. What're you gonna do when the guy takes a knee, swing down? Hahahahahhaha

most people here don't train nor have been in a fight since high school that wasn't a sucker punch.

exactly. and things come to a point where 1 sport isn't enough. street fights become mma.

Nobody trains in one single martial art nowadays. Most BJJ fighters know how to strike and Muay Thai fighters know a thing or two about grappling. This is not Bloodsport, y'know.

Because IT WORKS. That's why it's popular.

Want to know how it works and why it works?

Go challenge a purple/brown/black belt to a fight, fists and all. And see how long before your eyes are bulging out of your head from being choked the fuck out.

Judo literally teach every bjj submissions/ground holds save the weird ones/ones that dont work irl.

Unless if you go to a mcdojo

this.

most people, however, will not make it to purple because like anything, BJJ takes discipline, and you have to compete, which some people are afraid of doing. You NEED to compete in order to get good. Some schools will award you all the way up to black belt without ever competing, but those guys will NEVER be as good as someone who competes regularly. you learn a lot about yourself by fighting in front of a crowd of people, how you fight under pressure, how you think under pressure, etc.

is starting at 29 too old to compete?

Bro. There are people at my gym who have started BJJ at 40 and they compete and they WIN. 29 is young. You aren't even in your 30s yet. Get out there and compete.