Careers

What does Veeky Forums do for a living?
Does your job make it hard for you to actually be fit?

Currently a State Investigative agent.
(read as: Fancy paperwork filler-outer)
Also have a shitty small business that nets like $300 a month.

Anyone here who have thoughts on how I would go about becoming a self taught engineer?

Just got a job in commercial real estate, should make between $70-$75k. There is a fitness center in the building but idk if I'd want to get sweaty during work or on the train home

Spatial Data Analyst
It's a desk job so I have tons of energy to lift after.
The office is fancy and has pneumatic desks that easily convert to standing desks.

I deliver GE medical equipment such as MRIs, CTs, XRAYS, and PET scan machines into hospitals.
I stay very active at my job.

>standing desks.

Is this the new meme?
I feel like everyone is trying too hard to make these thing look/sound great.

I'm in on the standing desk meme. I made one for my PC at home using some planks. Feels great man, i've used it for a month now and my posture has never been better. Also helps strengthen your core muscles + legs, if you're at the PC a lot.

How many of you guys have dropped/failed college? I feel like school just isn't for me. I've been in college for about 6 years now and I'm still a junior. I failed and dropped so many classes thats its not even funny anymore. I'm still lost in what I want to do with my life. I hate my finance major. I already switched majors like 4 times too.

I'm family is getting worried that I will never finish and I feel the same way. I feel like I will be a wagecuck forever.

Police officer,
Today i was noticed of getting fired after 1 month, feels bad man. I loved doing jack shit all day and having the power to write tickets and fines :(

Did you know that there was a point in human history when information was not spread in memes?

freelance web dev, trying to avoid offices from now on

3 years on the job, pay was average, but the goods were in working 14 days in the month, 36 days paid vacation and 24 paid vacation for study :(( i m sad guys

Currently a student of Media Arts.
Almost graduated, working in retail at the moment.
When I graduate, my family has plans for me to work in real estate and property development.

Plan is to make fast cash and turn it into passive income through property development and then dedicate time into film making, art and acting.

To all the guys here, try to work hard in your 20s and start generating passive income by your mid 30s, then you can cruise in life.

Money is incredibly important in getting women, look at all the ugly old dudes with hot wives. The current prince of Monaco is a prime example of this.

Mark Zuckerberg is a terrible example and you can tell he is extremely autistic because of the ugly wife he bagged.

I don't like that money is the key to power and ease of life but that is how most of the civilised world works at the moment.

Good luck my dudes.

Why don't you take some time off from college and see what career you really want to do?

I did college but I always image what my life would be like if I studied a trade like carpentry. I'm getting bored of being stuck in a corporate office all day.

Use your hatred of wage cuck life to fuel your completion of your major.

Just fucking finish it. Once you're done, you'll know more about what you really want.

You must advance from this period of life to improve your lifestyle.

Military, its a living hell between exercise and deployments to try and stay somewhat fit... As well as stupid forced PE that fucks with your training plan

sales engineer

tough as fuck - always on the road and hotels mostly have shitty fucking gyms

>today i was noticed of getting fired after 1 month

what the fuck did you do to get fired after 1 month? not write enough tickets?

Software engineer

My company has a gym so I get free gainz

Yeah I thought about taking time off and getting an office job. I feel like with that it will open more doors. I mean its a lot better than working in retail, right?

I'm trying to do that. I just don't find my major interesting anymore, so the motivation is gone and I just feel lost in life. A lot of people I went to high school with are now starting their new careers and I'm just stuck here.

Learn a trade desu. Best way for big dummies like you to make a decent wage. Sorry you wasted so much money on a degree.

I'm the master distiller at a small craft distillery. Not a lot of heavy lifting, besides the occasional 50lb bags of corn or barley, moving empty barrels around or just general shop maintenance.

Had a lot of chances to take better paying jobs, but I'd let those chances pass me by a hundred times before I gave up my passion.

Well I went to community college and also got some financial aid. I only owe like $3100 in student loans, so I guess its not too bad.

Yeah maybe trade might be cool.

Just learn 2 code

Certifications can go a long way if you can't afford to go to uni. Few of my community college teachers recommend doing certification courses online like Coursera to put under your belt. Pretty sure you can find a couple free courses engineering related and some others at less than a hundred bucks each and apply that to a business like architecture or some shit.

Working in IT while pursuing an accounting degree.

Easily have the energy after classes or work.

Sales manager for a large electronics company in germany here. Working hours suck so I have to workout on different days/different hours every week. Otherwise it's bretty good.

chem engineer

not really, standard hours are ~ 8-5 so the only reason i can't lift is if i'm too knackered. actually i'm leaving the house to go lift in the next 10 mins or so.

So I Always thought that mechanical engineering was the most overall applicable (slightly moreso than computer)....Was I wrong, or does the high demand for tech negate that?

The job market for CS is rediculous right now.

My LinkedIn is spammed by recruiters constantly

Air traffic controller

Not really, since I can do the whole thing while standing up and pacing around the tower. Also it helps that I have so many rest days from work, which gives me more time to work out during the day.

>sales engineer
is this a twist on sanitation engineer?

This
Computers will always be around so it's always good to take programming courses

Systems Engineer for a railroad

Salary? What do you work on?

Mechanical is a good field especially for weapons... now that trump is re-militarizing everything (check out raytheon... I have a job offer there I might take) but I think the tech industry has so much more breadth everything from IT work all the way to EE.

I feel there's two sides to this. Almost every company wants software engineers but nowadays every tom dick and douchebag says he can code so if you're just an average CS graduate like me it does take a bit of effort put yourself out and distinguish yourself but its doable. I was able to get an in person interview with amazon. They're flying me to san fran in 3 weeks. I didn't have any connections and I graduated from a uni no one knows exists. Just learn how to sound smart and work with people the rest you can just google lol.

Infosec genius. I make 110k at one job, 50k at another job, plus whatever else comes my way here and there. I don't work for less than 60 an hour. I got more money than I know what to do with, but still, no gf :(

Teacher, well come next year
I am an expert at playing the bongo in the kongou

I work as a Project Coordinator at a pipeline construction company. Good pay, great benefits, and I get to work outside.

>architecture
nigga it takes like 8 years in this country to even start being an architect this shit is a medieval guild

how busy are you with two jobs? how many hours a week? also why are you a genius?

well getting a succubus... i mean gf will change your opinion about money. id suggest pick up an expensive hobby.

pepper spray any natives? jk that sounds dope. i always thought it'd be need to be a forest ranger or something

>how busy are you with two jobs? how many hours a week? also why are you a genius?
Not super busy, still able to have weekends to myself. I'm a genius because I'm 100% self taught making more money than all my friends and family without a degree.

Every once in a while some people will protest. I don't think they understand that the oil is either going to be transported by pipeline (much safer. more environmentally friendly) or by train.

Farmer
Physical labour everyday.

>I'm 100% self taught making more money than all my friends and family without a degree
Noice. How'd you get your foot in the door and what do you do? red team? analyst? engineer?

>oil is either going to be transported by pipeline (much safer. more environmentally friendly) or by train
That's why I'm ditching the rail industry lol you fuckers cut our profits significantly. Also they consistently stay ten years behind in technology.

Fitter/Technician in a Mine.

Pretty interesting job, shit always breaks or explodes which I love cause I have to dash out and fix it.

Do 5 days on 5 days off. Generally pretty shit on my gains though, probably walk equivalent of 20 miles a day in a 12 hour shift.

red team, and got foot in the door by speaking at cons and putting it on the resume. Went independent long enough for resume filler to find something full time

this is a new thing, but I will never use that shit. Standing whilst working is for peasants

6 years of college sweet jesus just fucking drop out

POG Marine who will be getting into law enforcement after my enlistment.

They're awesome, no aft'noon sleep crash

currently unemployed

but i just had an interview to be an assembler at a local factory that produces products on a global scale

mite b cool

[spoiler]had to use fake piss though[/spoiler]

Yeah I'd try to get in the industry now. The company I'm at is actually backlogged because of how many projects we received in such a short time, first time its happened. Also with Trump in office it will only get better.

I sell jewelry for a living.
It can be stressful, but I love my job. The hardest part about it (as far as being Veeky Forums goes) is that i work in a mall with tons of fast food. So bad food is everywhere

I drive choo choo trains
Shift work makes it hard to have a routine when you can work any minute of any day

fuaaark i almost did this.

is it really as awful as people say it can be? on call 24/7?

shit advice.

In the end all jobs suck shit people need to realise this. You will never want to do a job its work for fucks sake who wants to cut 8 hours of their free time to do shit for other people.

If you werent keen on a trade as a 16 year old you certainly wont be keen on one now. Talk to any tradie whos been in the business for 15+ years. 80% will have some form of injury they never recovered from due to their need to continue work and 99% will reccomend you never do a trade.

The trades are dying they prefabricate houses now and frankly the asains are willing to put the pieces together cheaper. I wish i was behind a desk all day i am so fucking exhausted all the time

I work at Publix grocery store.
$11.00 an hour
Produce Clerk pretty laid back job.

Cool man I did a lot of security stuff in college even went to NCCDC but I kinda gave it up because I'm not quick enough on my feet to do that red team blue team shit.

Yeah he's pretty good for business lol

What railroad? What do you drive?

I'm a software engineer in L O N D O N. My company has a contract with the gym across the road so it's free. I usually go before work to avoid the tube at rush hour. The money is excellent and the people are genuinely the cleverest I've worked with. So glad I sold my soul to the financial industry.

paramedic student and occasional weekends and holidays as a moving guy
in a way it keeps you Veeky Forums but it's not too good for your back due to lifting heavy shit with bad form

> Asking what Veeky Forums does for a living during work hours

Started a software company. Just hired my first employee.

Cool mang. I'd like to be self employed one day. Are you service based or product based? There is one correct answer

Got an electric standing desk. I don't really stand at it, but I can adjust it to the exact height I want it. Which is unreal

Summer season trekking/hiking guide. Don't make much money but I get to spend lots of time /out/doors with cool people.

Studying environmental management, unemployed the rest of the year.

:)

Security Guard, Photography freelance for fun and occassional profit.

Hoping to join up with the army once I'm a little less high drag low speed.

Both. my employee is doing service work for intel. I am currently working on 5 contracts simultaneously.

CPA

Sitting on your ass all day isn't good for being fit, can tell ya that.

Amen brother. Get a uCozy 3D. You can use it to firmly massage every part of your body. Best $240 I've ever spent

Not the guy you quoted but yes. I'm a recent mech eng grad and there are plenty of sales "engineer" jobs out there but none of those will actually make you do engineering work which is what's required for you to attain experience/certifications. You just need to know basic concepts and sell their shit.

I was in the same exact situation you are currently in. I was an unmotivated junior who had changed majors 3 times and failing classes. I had no motivation to finish. I said fuck school, went to a trade school sponsored by my state which was oriented towards work in the natural gas field and now work with my hands, unionized, make prevailing wage in my state (close to $40 an hour) plus benefits that my company and union take care of. College isn't for everyone, wasn't for me, maybe it isn't for you. Nothing to be ashamed of. Get into a trade user.

How much do you make?

Mech eng is the most broad so it's good in that sense, but yes all things electrical/software engineering are looking good and will probably only get better.

Source: graduating mech this semester. I tried electrical but did not enjoy it, and that's key.

I am a senior Logistics and Operations manager for a Distribution company in Houston. I work typically 9-4pm

You hiring?

Tell us about your business man

Yes! Sell me this pen.

When in Houston?

Do you have a degree in Industrial Distribution?

No, but I'm currently in a Supply Chain & Logistics program at college. Internship would be good at the very least. I need some sort of experience.

Nothing yet :^) where I live mech eng jobs are rare

I'm not really a recruiter so I can't help you there. I'd suggest attending your schools career fair whenever it is.

>Milk lab
>Farmers send in milk, I test it for quality and sometimes disease

I'm on my feet all day but otherwise there isnt anything physical to it

Ok

Im a bartender right now. Granted i make like 45-50k a year but going back to school starting this summer cuz its time Gonna double accounting/economics. Without school its easy finding time in the day to work out but once school starts its gonna be a struggle.

Dude i went to school for 4 years with little to show for it and i dropped out so i could stop wasting my money and figure my life out. Now im finally going back with all the motivation and conviction in the world. I advise you do something similar

Civil or mil?
I'm in pilot training at the moment and I'm getting crushed under the amount of ATC regulation stuff we have to learn.

How old are you?

How do you like it? What do you do? How much do you make and do you think it's worth it?

That's awesome user. How did you get into it? I have some background in the brewing industry but I was thinking of applying to a small distillery close by.

Can you give a brief rundown on what you decided to teach yourself?

Coordinator at a fancy online clothing retailer.
It's alright, pays the bills and it's pretty chill.
>tfw got pic related for $60

Maybe you should have done more shit and you wouldn't be getting fired.

Work on the family farm and brew my own beer and cider. I'd like to turn brewing into a side biz.

I unironically sell pens, I bid for government contracts regarding small office supplies :/

Found a pen supplier that makes pretty high quality pens and office supplies at a ridiculously competitive price.

Real Fuckin exciting huh.

kek

I'm a cop.
Always looking to add something to my workouts or maybe a new routine altogether that could help in my job.

Would love to put together a program for cops in the future someday that involves sprinting then wrestling. Stuff you would encounter in the field

Sell me that pen

can you sell me this pen?

during the school year i work as a picker at a driving range along with taking classes. boring, long hours, but it keeps my somewhat active and pays well.

during the summer, i work as a backpacking guide in the rocky mountains. tons of gains lost because i'm walking 10+ miles/day with a 40lb pack, eating dehydrated food, and not lifting. whatever though, i love it.

What u do in real estate?

I'm a real estate private equity analyst. Just finished my first year and made $92.5k. Not bad for 22.

hey man considering getting an internship in the field would you recommend it?