Bench Press

Previously a bodyweight only fag but got a gym membership so today I did bench press for the first time. It was a lot harder than I expected it to be I did 45kg total with the bar for 8 reps (I weigh 63kg I didn't arch my back). On my second set on my 8th rep I failed and I had to call for my friend and he was kinda far away and I think I fucked up my shoulder a little. Now I get back home and start watching all of these correct form videos and I simply can't be fucked.
My question is can I do barbell bench or just incline or something instead is it optimal to do benchpress?

Try dumbbell bench press.

I've replaced barbell completely with it and I love it.
>don't need spotter
>bigger range of motion
>unilateral movement prevents side imbalance
>feels better desu

Barbell bench is overrated if you ask me. You can do other chest exercises to get chest gains. Bench honestly is an ego lift, and half of the fucks that do bench dont do correct form.

This. Might not look impressive since factors will be "WEW 90 LB DUMBELL ONLY user"

im roughly 70kg and i can bench 100kg from body weight

i think you've been doing something wrong. i only use gym equipment to prove to people i can not only keep up with body weight, but i can overtake.

regardless is probably your safest bet

>struggling with 100 pounds
Lower the weight then. You're 130lbs which means you are spooky skelly man. You can't expect to just start benching like a man at that weight.

Well I'm not very consistent but I do suspect my form was awful since I was sliding around a lot. Either way bench press can fuck off I'll do barbell I guess should I add something to that ?

My body fat is 9% according to a website not sure if accurate. I also have small hands. I guess the apollo physique. I thought my bench would be good because my reach is short. I can see my ribs tho.

my observation is that a lot of people don't have a good setup on bench at all. for a while, neither did I. it was just get under the bar and do what I could.

When I cleaned up my setup and worked on my ability to get my scapula retracted REALLY tight, bench improved immensely for me.

I tried doing pushups with my hands on a scale to see how much I'm lifting and it showed 40kg. Is this comparable to benching 40kg or are there other factors involved here that makes it not transferable?

switch to dumbells and build up some strength. Your gonna find that your left side (assuming your right handed) is gonna fail before your right. Its better to hit dumbbells so that you dont just keep benching the bar with your right. Wether you realize it or not, ppl tend to bench more with their dominant hand. Which is why youl notice the bar going crooked or drooping on one side. Hit dumbells and the bar

Flat bench barbell bench press is an amazing chest builder. Nothing I've done compares. Feels bad not being able to do any pronated grip heavy pressing without shoulder pain. I do one arm neutral grip dumbell press instead. Did heavy band push ups before. Did some dips. It all sucks compared to bench press. In my experience all of the shoulder "fixes" are a fail. gl

This is interesting, I'm right handed but i notice my right arm usually lags behind on the bench just a bit. My left usually locks out first. I wonder why that is.

what are you aiming for? more aesthetics or more strength?

if your just after aesthetics you could add in some chest flys,

U might be doing exactly what i warned you about. Your probably using more of your right side to lift the bar, so it gets tired faster. Thats why your right hand is lagging.If your right handed, it just doesnt make sense that your right hand lags. Your just subconsciously lifting more of the weight with your right side.

I'm looking for functional strength. What do mma guys train? Maybe I should do push ups with a weight vest?

do dips instead

W E I G H T E D

D I P S

A R E

S U P E R I O R

T O

B E N C H P R E S S

Bench pressing isn't a technically demanding exercise, I'd hate to see you try an olympic lift. For starters you're supposed to arch your back and retract your shoulder blades in order to avoid shoulder impingement.

Dumbbell BP is a good exercise but it simply won't allow for nearly the same amount of overload as a barbell would. No reason not to do both.

>functional strength
As opposed to non-functional strength? A guy who can squat 500lb, all things being equal (techinque, form, fighting style, etc), will out punch a 300lb squatter any day.

>What do mma guys train?
MMA

do dips hit your chest?

well that is something i can really help you with.

fast pushups, increase speed without reducing form. once you can do 60 in under minute, then add some weight to yourself.

pull ups and chinups i would really recommend. i did alot of pushups and kinda built the front of my body up too much pulled my posture out, never forget to balance your body.

something ive really taken a likening to is unaided handstand pushups, good for shoulders back and core as well as balance and breathing control.

and get yourself a punching bag and start with this,
punching as fast as you can for 1 minute, then as hard as you can for a minute do this 3 times so for 6 minutes all up.

this will build your entire body, from your calves to your forearms.
id nearly guarantee that anyone without any martial arts training could not sustain punching at their full speed for a minute.

nah. they're superior at creating round looking girl boobs/lower pec.

Ok thanks yea I do pullups and chin ups I can do 8 at a time bodyweight.
Ok but what about war type situations being too bulky might be a hindrance?

dont lock out when you do them. You shouldnt really "feel" them, at least I dont. I know some people get pressure in their sternum, which is really bad.

yeah, it takes time. do 3-4 sessions a day and always try to do one more rep then you feel you physically can.

if your actually training for martial arts, id recommend building speed in all your exercises and not just pushups, this will help to increase what people call explosive strength.

Yes, they hit both head of the pectoral major and the pec minor

I'm not really more thinking about upcoming doomsday scenarious. 3-4 sessions a day? sounds like a recipe for increased cortisol and low test unless you're on gear.
As an aside Check out anabolicmen . com sounds like a bullshit website but I value ali kuoppalens research. Eat steak high fat not lean chicken breast. Eat potatoes not brown rice. Take boron, ashwaghanda etc.

You're fucking stupid. Bench press exclusively hits the sternum head of the pectoral major, where as dips hit both the sternum and clavicular head. Thinking that dips only hit your "lower chest" is retarded.

you cannot get too bulky as a natty kys

Honestly weighted dips are far better because it will automatically build your overhead press and your triceps for all tricep based movements

I did weighted dips for like a year with weighted tiger bend push ups, and when i tried handstand push ups i could do 5 of them full rom on parallels wall assisted

Going for hypertrophy in the legs seems counter productive to me. Instead of focusing on how much you can squat why not just focus on sprints etc. Build strong legs but not immobile tree trunks the ratio of upper body and lower will also make you look less feminine and your upper body has way more androgen receptor density. Training legs chronically will also sap your central nervous systems ability to recover. No where in our past would someone train legs to the level we are today they were used for sprinting and jumping I would wager seldomly for carrying something very heavy mostly medium sized. So my point is FOR TOTAL WAR we need to do shit for strength and endurance etc. not hypertrophy esp. legs.

Do you guys treat dips like a main exercise or secondary? I always do them after incline db, but I like to go heavy (5-8 reps) when I do them. I'm afraid of going cold into them because I've tweaked my shoulder doing them before. Ive worked up to 135 for 4 dirty reps at 170lb.

when youa re not a retard and lift with a pause like you are suppsoed to you dont need a spotter in barbell benching besides 1 rep max

>"i get all my fitness information from youtube videos and anime forums" the post

>FOR TOTAL WAR
Fuck off blaha you're not a soldier, you've never been in a fight. Buy a gun if you want to pretend you're in a war

keep tellin yourself that girl