How does mixed grip allow you to hold more weight? What are the physics behind this?

how does mixed grip allow you to hold more weight? What are the physics behind this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pZgxkE-2QAw
youtube.com/watch?v=CyLgClmzTYU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's basically heisenberg's uncertainty principle. since there's more uncertainty about the direction of your hands, this means there's less uncertainty about the position of the barbell.

prevents the bar from rolling in your hands.

Bar doesn't roll, you fucking dumbshit retard.

It confuses gravity allowing you to trap the barbell in an uncertainty vortex.

Careful that you dont use mixed grip on too light a weight as it can cause the barbell to shoot up on the ascent and hit you in the chin,

wait is this actually true im high af rn lol

youtube.com/watch?v=pZgxkE-2QAw

It puts your arms into a position where your biceps can control the weight. But this shit happens when you do that

the bar will not rotate in your hands with a mixed grip. with an overhand it can roll out.

it actually doesn't allow you to hold more weight, but tricks your brain (specifically the frontal lobe) into thinking you have a more stable grip, and allows additional electrical impulses be sent to your forearm muscles.

You decide

Currently working on Phd in Physics, this is correct

I got up to the guy doing momentum curls with the barbell and couldn't contain my cringe any longer

I use this grip, am I fucked?

With a mixed grip you're basically curling half the weight upwards which makes it much easier.

lol haha no way hella coolio my bros haha

>tfw to smart to use mixed grip

yes

Try it and find out, you will be surprised how much more weight you can lift.

this is wrong, want to know how I know you've never stepped into a physics 101 class in your life?

following the right hand rule, gravity flows in the direction of your outstretched thumb, meaning you lose some torque on the bar as kinetic energy/gravity tension points. inverting one of the hands causes the net gravity to cancel out as one thumb points in and one out, making the bar easier to lift

If your grip if the issue yes, if it isn't no.

Grip will pretty much always be the limiting factor on overhand deadlifts, barring beginners or someone with spectacularly uneven muscular development.

nigga this is not physics 101

t. physics 101 student

Eventually

Why does hook let you lift more?

Because you sacrifice the nerves in your thumb to the lord of iron and he grants you additional chi.

>he's not accounting for the Doppler Effect
yikes. this is embarrassing.

The weakness with overhand is that you've got most of your grip strength on one side of the bar, so when it starts rolling you're fucked. Hook grip gets around that by jamming your thumb between the bar and your other fingers - now you've got the grip strength of those fingers reinforcing your thumbs grip and the bar can't roll unless it also forces those fingers open.

no, just DYEL fearmongering, it can happen but it's not really all that common

if you want to make sure it doesn't happen do a lot of direct bicep work (curls 3-4x a week and i'm not kidding) and do all your warm up and working sets with a mixed grip

also make sure you aren't actually pulling with a flexed elbow

youtube.com/watch?v=CyLgClmzTYU

Huh, neat.
Kek

WOah guys, how does gripping the bar allow you to lift more? Why not just use the grip less bench press?

Why can't you just do double underhand? It's the best grip.

same reason. With mixed grip, if it rolls one way, it must roll up the fingers of the other hand. In hook grip, you're getting that effect with your thumb. Either it tries to roll up your fingers, or just go up your thumb since it's trapped against the bar.

Jesus fucking Christ man, I'm a dyel and terrified of this now

What can I do to ensure this shit doesn't happen to me? What are some symptoms I should look out for leading up to a tear

Don't take steroids, don't try to work through joint or tendon pain and don't try to deadlift with bent elbows.

That about covers it. Bicep tears on deadlifts are rare as fuck.

This is th kind of question you should know the answer to by your first week of training. Which means you're a DYEL scrub and you need to leave this board.

Has literally no one on this board read anything about strength training? Do you all hop into th gym without understanding a single thing about lifting? Stop wasting yours and more importantly everyone else's time you dumb shits and read starting strength already.

>af
>rn

You need to be at least an adult to post on this site.

>t. second day on Veeky Forums

Jesus dude I have a 495 diddly and I had no idea why hook made it easier. Stop being such an aspie.

>1:00

deserved everything

>hook made it easier

>>hook made it easier
Yeah it did what's your point aspie.

>You need to be at least an adult to post on this site.

You mean man-child.

>not taking into account barbell quantum entanglement

>not taking into account the transitive property of steel weights vs iron

It's like you've never studied brane theory.

Holy shit kek

>It puts your arms into a position where your biceps can control the weight. But this shit happens when you do that
Holy fuck you are dumb.

All it does is make sure the bar doesn't roll out of your hands, it is perfectly safe if you're not a meathead idiot and try to curl and shrug the bar at the top.

Anyone got Trappy's posts about deadlift?

If your grip fails with double overhand then yes you can hold more weight.
Try hook grip and consider straps before you decide to hook grip as your main grip.

You have 5 fingers on each side of the bar, instead of 8 on one side and 2 on the other

Yo use oNE biceps wich evryone knows is TVE stronkest muscle available

Will I have forearms like that once I can deadlift 4pl8 for 5?

kek

yeah once you hit 5 pl8 for 5 the forearm fairy bestows large forearms upon you.

I no longer do curls and pull mixed because of this video.

Only pussies don't do double overhand with no straps

>mixed hook grip

So you don't just gotta confuse your muscles, you gotta confuse the barbell too