Why are Latinos obsessed with worshipping death? Seriously this is so creepy...

Why are Latinos obsessed with worshipping death? Seriously this is so creepy... everything south of the border shouñd be nuked

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Muerte
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If I was a Mexican, I'd be praying for death too.

Because mexicans are a native-american people in character. Spanish didn't replace the indians, but simply was added to the american stock. And Mexicans have a thing with death I guess. The lady of Death even has it's own growing religion in Mexico and the United States.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Muerte

Because its aesthetic

Santa Muerte is legit. Everybody dies sooner or later, so why not make Death your waifu?

>As of 2016, the cult of Santa Muerte is said to be one of the fastest growing new religious movements in the world, with an estimated 10 to 12 million followers.

Neat.

>why not make Death your waifu?
you made me google this
I hate you and I hate myself

Because you people in the west view it as a morbid dark thing. When death in Mexico which was home to precolumbian civilizations viewed death and life as two side of the same reality. One could not be without the other. Death is needed for LIfe and vice versa. It is part of their concepts of duality where they worked as compliments to achieve equilibrium, not opposing forces. Balance and order were the foundations of Mesoamerican philosophical and religious concerns. These beliefs blended with the catholic ones brought by the Spaniards and so the importance and reverence of death and the dead (ancestor worship which was also prevalent and still is today) continues today. For this reason death is not something scary, but alive and colorful like our world is.

Read these authors - Elizabeths Boone, Alfredo Lopez Austin, Miguel Leon Portilla, Alan Sandstorm and Jim Maffie - if you want a better understanding.

Reminder she's based on the European grim reaper.

And part of Catholic tradition.

She's actually not part of Catholicism. Although I can see why one would assume that.

How do Orthodox Catholics reconcile beliefs in Santa Muerte? Does the Catholic Church make legitimate attempts to justify the practice?

As far as I've been able to find out, only lower class Mexicans with heavily native influence/roots really adhere to this Santa Muerte thing. My dad's from Mexico, and neither him nor his family there buy into it, saying it's heretical nonsense

They killed millions in human sacrifice rituals

All ancient cultures worshiped death. Read about the ancient skull cults, they were very prevalent all over the world in many cultures. Some might say it was the original unifying world religion before recorded history and the various religions that came after. It is universal and pervades all human thought and culture on some level; the knowledge of one's own demise.

It's not surprising it would be a big thing now. Possibly something about human sacrifice that was common for many native Americans in pre-columbian times.

here
I feel the need to also add, OP, I'm not sure if it's true if all latinos have the same feelings toward death. Certainly Mexicans and other central Americans probably do, but I can't confirm if the same is true of south Americans (Brazilians, peruvians, chileans, etc.) which have a distinct and different cultural heritage. Not to mention the native people of the Caribbean, whose culture is now basically extinct. Obviously still heavily influenced by Spain/Portugal and catholicism, but I imagine the elements of native beliefs are probably different.

It'd be nice is someone knowledgeable about south America can confirm this.

She's based on some of that Aztec grim shit, they were a culture obsessed with the macabre.

What the fuck brainlet, not even close.

Also, I will add that the church has not attempted to legitimize veneration to Santa Muerte in any way. Church officials have condemned it as satanic, and tell church goers to to disregard it, much like other folk saints such as that patron "saint" of drug trafficking.

That's a Cihuateteo not Mictlacihuatl.

Jesus Valverde you mean.

>unironically worshipping the many faced god

Wrong

Mexico, like most nations, is a necropolis built on the bones of slaves and indigenes, whose own societies frequently fetishized violence and cruelty. Death is Mexico's very foundation, it's only mistake is not to pretend otherwise.

Yeah you are right of course, for some reason Americans just assume all Latin American countries have the same Mexican culture.

Brazil's culture is mostly European and African influenced, zero Native influence, they were mostly wiped out. Mexico has a lot of Aztec cultural influence which is where the death worship obsession comes from.