Questions that don't deserve their own thread

QTDDTOT

Didn't notice one in the catalog, so I took the initiative

>What does 5/3/1 mean?

>>What does 5/3/1 mean?

google it

Its 5 divided by 3 divided by 1, which is obviously 1

I should've worded that better, I know it's a training program. I meant
> what is the significance of the title 5/3/1?

first week is 3x5+, 2nd is 3x3+, last week is 1x5, 1x3, 1x1+

if you googled it you would know this

I was finishing Seated DB Shoulder Presses and as I lowered the dbs my left wrist made a series of cracking noises. It was in a good amount of pain and I could not really use it driving home.

Didn't look swollen or anything but the ulna side protrudes outward more. It's been a couple days and it still kinda hurts but I've had it compressed in a bandage for a while.

I wanna lift ASAP but should I be out for a week?

Why no Veeky Forums recipe thread? Do you just google things or hang out in Veeky Forums or...?
Looking for low carb specifically if anyone has good links or suggestions, thanks.

What age should I start lifting

Instead of dividing lifts (leg day etc.), can you do full body lift program each time if you go to the gym 3x/week with a rest day between gym days?
If not, why not? Too tiring, not as good a workout, maybe?

14-15

Why are Front Squats better than Back Squats?

this

How much of a factor is quad strength in a deadlift?

And if my posterior chain is pretty strong, but my quads are complete shit, how bad is that going to fuck up my dead until I fix it?

>can you do full body lift program each time if you go to the gym 3x/week with a rest day between gym days?
Yeah, it's called compound lifts

no, you'll die

no vikings wtf???

When (or at what weight?) should I start using a belt to squat and/or deadlift?

How much less effective would it be to do PPL less than 6 days a week? say 4 days/week

Why is 3x10 regarded as a poor set? What's the best number of sets and reps?

Because back squats hurt the fuck out of your neck

Top LOL

See a fucking doctor you dimwit

thinking about doing keto, is it advantageous for fat loss over a regular deficit ?

pls respond

its actually 1.66666666667

This is literally starting strength (and 1200 other programs)
did you even read any of the sticky or lurk at all or anything mang

Any diet that you can stick to works. There is no diet that is a easy mode. However keto might work for you try it and see.

Should you be able to do more weight on glute bridges for way more reps than you can on deadlifts?

I know you can get to huge weight with hip thrusts, but my glute bridge is going to get to 4 plate for 10 reps far before my deadlift will get there for a 1rm

It generally means you could be doing a bit more work.

I worked out Tue and Thu this week, and my next day should be Saturday, but I'm not sure I'll be able to go due to work. Can I work out Fri instead? Does it make a huge difference? How often would be too often to do that sort of thing?

And can I switch to Mon Wed Fri next week without expecting any loss? Is regularity and consistency in timing and rest periods crucial at all or so long as I'm lifting lots and eating lots and not doing anything buttfuck retarded should i see gains

keto is annoying, good diet tip is to not change your lifestyle at all and just substitute foods. Low effort but sustainable.

People lift 6 days a week.

You might still be recovering a bit but its fine, going in a day early or a day late is much better than not going in at all. As long as you're still slowly increasing weight and being consistent you will see progress.

Been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a coupla months and I'm just finding myself free for a fortnight. I want to try working out 5 days a week, putting something new into the 2 days between (i.e. 5 days on 2 days off). I feel like I haven't progressed on my upper body, does anyone have some suggestions on what to try for the next two weeks?

In my opinion the heavy weight might have injured your carpals, and the pain might have been a compression or shifting of the small bones. It could explain the protrusion as well. Rest and compression are two musts you seem to have already covered. Ice could help speed the process but it's much less effective hours or days after the injury was sustained. It goes without saying you shouldn't lift with that wrist until you see a licensed physician and stop asking some faggots on a mongoloid boating forum

Taking BCAA, is powdered the best option?
Also, should I take it on the rest days and cardio days(judo) the same as on gym days?

Is a routine with 2 seperate compound movements and 2 assistance each per day m/w/f then a "fluff" day on Saturday too much?
For example: Squat + 2 assistance + Bench + 2 assistance

Where are vikings u fucking mongol?

Could be too much, could be too little. Depends on what you're actually doing.

(Pyramid sets increasing the weight)
Today for example will look like this:

Squat - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Hack Squats - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Hamstring Curls - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Bench Press - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Close Grip Press - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Incline Press - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Some LISS afterwards.

That would be a poor idea, but not because it's too much work. Pyramid sets are pretty shit compared to reverse pyramids for most purposes and you don't want to go heavy on every exercise. Isolations in particular often don't respond well to it and you can only handle so many max effort heavy sets.

I would not go heavy on the assistance work but could this look better then?
Squat - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Hack Squats - 2x5, 2x10
Hamstring Curls - 4x10
Bench Press - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Close Grip Press - 2x5, 2x10
Incline Press - 2x5, 2x10
I can't decide rep range therefor I usually do pyramid sets, I find them to be a "best of both worlds".

If you're going to go heavy on a lift, do the heavy shit first. Don't try to do it while fatigued unless you've got a good reason to.

On the compounds most of the first sets were warmup, I never felt fatigued before my heavy set. It's kinda like how Madcow sets it up but a different rep range.

There's a reason madcow ramps at lower reps.

Also you're doing fuck-all work if only one set is actually difficult or fatiguing. It'll hold for a while as a technique/peaking thing but its not great longterm.

I mean, take pendlay row for example. If I do 10 reps with 20kg, its about as hard as 5 reps with 30kg.

My bulged disc is healing up pretty well. What are some good excersies to strengthen my body so I don't hurt my back again. Also it was due to my leg bones being misaligned not bad form

I feel pain in these areas, even after two days rest, even when simply lying down or standing up. I remember a thread here with the same question, but at the time I didn't notice the pain. Anyways, what's the reason? Overstretched poor muscles during the squat? And how do I fix it?

Is 40mins of cardio 5 times a week enough, or should I be aiming for more? Purely looking for weight loss. I lift as well. Also eating 1400 calories a day.

The time it took you to reply once, continue paying attention to the thread, and then reply again, was about 4 minutes longer than the amount of time it would have taken you to explain it to the OP.

>you are an arrogant faggot and I hope you never make it
>your mother will die in her sleep tonight if you reply to this post

I have ridiculously muscley legs compared to the rest of me. Like beast level. I can leg press 93kg easily. I have very little fat on them and they're really firm. However, I want slimmer legs because I don't like looking like a female German shot putter.

Any tips for slimming them down and dropping some muscle? I already do 50mins of cardio a day but I lift on top of this because I thought that's what I should be doing. Do I need to stop leg exercises for a while?

Has anyone here had experience building a home gym? I recently moved into the bumfuck middle of nowhere for work and theres literally no gym within a reasonable distance, so i've decided to build a little home set up. I've got a good bit of spare space in a vacant parking garage (its secure), so I'm going to be using that place to store my home setup.

Currently I'm probably just going to buy a pair of dumbells, a bar, and a bench as well as various weights obv. I'd really rather not fuck around with shit like a squat rack but if I need it I suppose I'll have to get one.

Also I weight 200lb and intend to install a pullup bar in one of my doorways, is this a bad idea

tl;dr give me tips for building a home gym that isn't complete shit

I started to mix my chocolate whey with black coffee.
Feels good man.

After last session of squats (more or less 7 days ago), whenever I bend my legs or somehow my hips there's this sore pain at the crease of my hips.

Thinking it was DOMS, 3 days ago I tried squatting but barely could. then stopped.

Today went to squat again, and even trying to squat 60-70% of my 5RM was too painful at the bottom because the crease of my hips was on fire as soon as i would touch parallel.

What's going on? What do?

>beast level legs
>leg press 93kg
pick one

Dont know if I have gyno. Couldnt feel the lump in the nipples, but when I cut to 143 lbs (at 5'11) I still had a bit of titties. Is it possible that I still stored fat in my chest at 143 lbs?

If abs is entirely about having little body fat, how come skeleton's don't have abs?

Surely it's a ratio of abdominal muscle to stomach fat right.

Plus if I just want abs I shouldn't drop below average BMI just to cut to 10% bodyfat should I? I should gain a bit of muscle mass first so I can keep a healthy weight and then drop the fat.

Alright Veeky Forums need some serious help here,i've been doing 5x5 for about 2 month to gain some basic strength since i'm a bit lanky and couldn't do any pull ups initially and the problem here is i have wide hips and i've started to notice that my legs are getting a bit big due to all the squats and i really don't want to end up with a t-rex physique,what workout should i switch to that would help me deal with the wide hips menace?

The weight tells me nothing. For all I know you are DYEL skinnyfat.

Did you have ripped abs? If not it was still probably just fat.

Got offered a manual labor job for about three months. How do I maintain my gains over that time?

>no gym
>long hours
>not exactly hard work, but exhausting

I'm planning on still doing some calisthenics, but that is hardly enough, is it?

I had this too when my squats started getting heavy (ok it was like 190 but I'm Asian)

Point your toes more forward than outward, I went pretty much parallel, and do those hip flexor stretches where it looks like you are doing pushups over one knee

All this after at least two weeks off, maybe a month to heal

My pain vanished

>t. noodle neck nicky

PLEASE RESPOND RE HOME GYM

Get a power rack my dude. It might be a little more expensive, but it will allow you to squat, bench, and some have pull up bars on them.

How does one suppress hunger? I need to lose fat but I get hungry all the time.

Eat heaps and do what you can. Remember not to be a bitch and you'll find you can do more than you thought.

Add in extra volume work for your upper body. I felt like I had the same issue: big legs and shitty upper body. That's what I did and things pretty much evened out. I still have fairly large legs for my size but everything is in proportion. Basically just train more upper body but please don't stop training your legs. That's just dumb.

why no gym

I need decent running shoes. Do I go the extra mile and get a specific type based on weight, height, running style or is that just a gimmick?

I have a home gym so I go 6 times a week for about an hour each day. PPLPPLx routine. Should I tone it down to 3-4 or 5 times a week?

Cheers mate i wasn't planning to stop working legs but was thinking of not increasing the weights on my squats,gonna increase the volume and pause the weight increase on squats for a bit and see how that goes.

whats your home set up like?

also 6 days a week is a fucking lot, i'd cut at least one day for resting but its ultimately up to you. remember that overtraining can fuck you up

Good god no.

With your own facilities you should be twice a day. Just need to devise a maintainable routine, so your joints etc don't shit out.
This is mostly a problem when strength training as the volume of heavy work adds up real quick.
But you bro splitting now, so no worries there...
>curls morning and night

Yeah, thats the plan. Should I do my calisthenics sessions early in the morning before going to work?
If all goes well, I'll try to improve my handstand pushups and consequently my OHP. Also maybe get the planche finally down, although seems a bit too much to ask for. Hopefully if I do pistol squats I won't lose anything from my normal squats. Don't know what to do when it comes to my back though. Possibly get a bar, but what else?

I'm essentially staying right where I work, all in the middle of nowhere. Closest town is probably about half an hour away and I don't think I'd have the time to go there, considering I'd be finishing work late and also have to prepare my meals for the next day.

I have done manual labor before, that was probably a lot harder than what I'm going to do right now, but the difference then was that the place where I lived at also had a gym and the days were a couple of hours shorter. I ate a ton then, without actually gaining much or any fat and made some decent gains in my lifts.

This time the lack of a gym is really worrying though.

What's the work you're doing? And yeah, you could also find ways to add weight like putting on a backpack filled with stuff when doing push ups. For back, you could probably get a cheap bar. Work up to one arm chinups also.

Bench, barbell, squat rack, set of dumbells. Baby weights for now (1pl8 Bench) because I haven't been doing it for long but my routine is:

Press:
>5x5 Bench Press/5x5 OHP
>5x8-12 OHP/Bench Press
>5x8-12 Dumbell Press
>5x8-12 Front Lat Raise
>5x8-12 Arnold Press

Pull:
>5x5 Row/5x5 Barbell Curl
>5x8-12 Barbell Curl/Row
>5x5 Deadlift
>5x8-12 T-Bar Row
>5x8-12 Dumbell Row

'Legs':
>5x8-12 Squats
>5x5 Stiff-Leg Deadlift
>5x8-12 Dumbell Flies
>5x8-12 Dumbell Shrugs
>5x8-12 Side Lat Raise

I've been cutting for a while too but now I'm going to start bulking I think. 64kg 5ft11, currently eating around 1800-1900 calories a day. Probably like 10-12% bodyfat? Hard to estimate but I'd say I'm just 'skinny' rather than anything else. Imagine Fight Club meme body I'm basically that but with a bit less 'muscle'.

What is the best app for calculating calories ?

Thanks that gives me hope. I still had a little bit of lower belly flab and little to no muscle. I totally looked like a jew in the '40, so i bulked up to 176 lbs and reached 1/2/3/4. Now I'm cutting back to lose the titties.

Need a workout for obliques that isn't going to make me look retarded at the gym

Pen/cil and paper.

Use your brain. Do the math yourself.

Its some plantation that grows trees and such. I'd be picking up and carrying bunches of said trees around, essentially doing farmers walks. The weight of the bunches varies as far as I know. I've been told up to 8kg soaking wet and depending on the types. Hardly good for building strength, I reckon, Maybe it'll develop my grip strength though.

Chances are I might get a chance to drive the machines around every once in a while as well though, which sounds decent.

>backpack filled with stuff
Thats an option. I'd actually go ahead and get a weight vest then, but I don't really know much of those. Might come in handy afterwards as well.

those are pretty full on workouts

if you're able to do them 6 days a week you probably aren't using enough weight

Lower back pain when squatting?

Has anyone dealt with this issue? If I'm doing high reps for example 4-10 at lower weights my lower back gets super sore. The pain lasts for about 10 minutes and is then back to normal.

What to do? Is this sign of a weak lower back or tightness or what?

>tfw the sticky is fucked and barely works anymore

Why do people keep bringing it up like it's relevant anymore?

>>tfw the sticky is fucked and barely works anymore
what did he mean by this

I was halfway through stronglifts 5x5 program when I decided to try PPL . I'm currently a week into PPL and I've never felt so sore, it feels great and I definitely notice I'm getting much bigger already. Why did I even fuck around on stronglifts to begin with?

sometimes when doing ohp, when i lower the bar i feel something in my back/shoulder, like a bit of pain, like a nerve, idk. what could it be?

Dude.
This I can do upward of 200kg, you aren't even close to beast.

Power rack + bench is GOAT.
Dumbbells are cool.
Bar is obvious.

Put a pull up bar on your power rack and done with what you want plus you have a sick nasty minimal home gym.

Used to have these,and they were caused by butt winks,don't know how to put it in words but focus on not shifting your ass when going up with the bar,some youtubers made videos on it you should check them out to know how to fix it,pretty sure elliot made a video on it,personally i started slowing down the weight which i add so i can learn to maintain proper control as it becomes a lot harder when squatting heavy and focused on maintaining proper posture,another thing that helped me is mark rippetoe's instructional video on how to squat

>Why is 3x10 regarded as a poor set?
It isn't, it's just that a lot of people who try to make their own retarded programes default to it without really knowing why.

>thinking about doing keto, is it advantageous for fat loss over a regular deficit ?
The only benefit of keto is that it helps with insulin resistance and that it tends to curb hunger pangs. So it's a good choice if you're prediabetic and have poor impulse control. Otherwise it's inferior to a balanced diet, especially if you lift weights. It won't make you lose weight any faster, the extra "lost" weight is just water and glycogen.

Do cardio. Maybe try out working calves and forearms. Otherwise don't mess too much with your routine if you're still on linear gains.

Pyramid sets are a meme unless you're overreaching. And if you're doing that constantly as part of your programme, you're doing it wrong.

>I have ridiculously muscley legs
>93kg leg press
No you don't. That's the equivalent of benching the bar. Even for a girl that's pathetic.
>I want slimmer legs because I don't like looking like a female German shot putter.
>Any tips for slimming them down and dropping some muscle?
Don't work out, eat like shit. But detraining a body-part because it stands out is retarded: what you do is lower the volume and make the rest catch up.

It's most likely adductor tendonitis, happens all the time to noobs with improper stance due to shit mobility. Don't do squats for a week or two, in the meantime do gentle mobile stretches. Take it easy once it heals, correct you're stance.

They do have abs, it's just that they are weak. How strong your core is (and your genetics) determines how big and aesthetic your abs look. The "abs are made in the kitchen" bit merely states that you won't SEE them unless you have low bf%.

Willpower, cut out simple carbs, eat lots of watery and fiber rich food ie. vegetables.

If your spine stays neutral, lower back pain can be due to shit ab engagement or pushing trough your heels instead of midfoot which makes all the load fall on your erectors.

Because dyels have shit form, weak joints and tendons - doing PPL is more likely to fuck your shit up. Also progressing in weight is a lot simpler on novice programmes, and that's what you want as a noob.

That most of the links are dead and go nowhere.

>Why did I even fuck around on stronglifts to begin with?
learning proper form and engagement
strengthening your joints, tendons and cartilages
getting your strength levels to be even across your body so you have a nice symmetrical foundation to start with
as a dyel your progression will be fast so it's simpler to keep adding weight to compounds than tracking progress with a dozen machine/dumbbell exercises
it's much easier to overtrain and snap your shit up on PPL, on SL you have a chance to get to know your limits
quickly upping your bodys anaerobic capacity before jumping into a high volume programme
being big is not the same as being strong - the stronger you are the faster you can get big

My squat cant go past 225. Im doing high bar and my lower back starts to hurt when im done. I know im not rounding my back. What can I do to fix it?

I dont think they figure in much. Just support. Your hamstring and traps should carry most of the weight.
Good. Starting to become avatar posting with tumblr gifs and a tripcode.

gym is closed for a few weeks so I do stuff at home, I did back today and since the weights are low I figured out I can do a lot of reps and sets.
long story short after 15 sets of dumbbell rows and 15 of dumbbell deadlifts my back hurts when I breath, what do

You can do oblique crunches. Stand straight put a 45 lb plate in one hand and lower it towards the side of your feet and then pull it back up.
Do you do incline dumbbell press? Sometimes it can hurt your shoulder if you went heavy with bad form on that. I found my OHP hurt when I was doing several sessions of incline dumbbell press so I readjusted to make sure I was doing them right.