Cold Weather Running

Why is running in the cold so difficult? I run well on warmer days, but when it's cold I just get exhausted right away.

What gives?

you're not white

it's not that you're getting exhausted, it's that you lack willpower. it's easy to run in warm weather.

I am white.

I dunno man, it's like my lungs burn or some shit, but feels fine when it's warmer, like above 40 fahrenheit.

Maybe it's the dryness.

try using a treadmill or elliptical instead when it's too cold out. it's what i do honestly

Fair enough

Warmer = better biomechanics or some shit

And your muscles are warmed up

And less risk of asthma

> it's like my lungs burn or some shit
Mouthbreather

I breathe with my mouth slightly open while I run, sue me.

Your nose is suposed to make the air warm. That's why white people who developed in colder climates have longer noses and why your lungs feel like that when you are constantly passing cold air through them

I'll try keeping my mouth shut next time. I'll probably get more winded, but we'll see.

If you're running without breathing through your mouth, you should run faster until you need to.

I prefer cold running. My body stays cool and I feel less exhausted. I usually run at night during the summer.

First time I did a half marathon and It was extremely hot and humid and I had never ran in those conditions

Stupid on my part I know.

You should fix your nose channels to allow air flow or work on strengthening the facial muscles that open the nostrils

If I have to use my mouth to breathe I fold my tongue behind my teeth so that it absorbs part of the cold shock and the air has more surface to warm up

If you're planning on a light run, go ahead and breathe through your nose. If you ever want to push yourself to the limits of your endurance, you're only holding yourself back by not using your mouth.

Nice tip, I'll try to remember that next time. Thanks.

Put your tongue on the roof of your mouth, it will warm up the air but also decrease the air flow a bit. I have the same problem (britbong) but just gotta push through it.

I dont know man you dont sound like your white im white and i run in -40 weather..... Naked so i dont think your white i think are a nigger

And I think you're an inuit son of a bitch

I have asthma and I find on humid days or in winter I get out of breath easily, it's a bit tough sometimes because I live in Canada but you get used to it

Found the gymcel who's never done any actual difficult training in his life.

> And less risk of asthma

Those memes. Asthma is an inflamation of the capilaries / lung tissue. Cold temperatures actually help you breathe easier if you have asthma.

Source: Had it for 10 years.

I've never had that problem OP, and I'm use to running distances in the cold. Just keep up with it an you should get use to it.

If you're having problems adjusting try throwing your running clothes in the dryer before going out. That way they'll be warmer as you warm up into your run.

Also how far are you running, how cold is it, and what are you wearing?