ITT: Times when history become an edgy Anime plot

>In a world torn apart by chaos, one man will rise to restore peace

>In a world torn apart by chaos, one lady will rise to restore peace

"my son find yourself another kingdom, for that which i leave is too small for thee"

Kek, i feel honored someone literally copy and pasted my thread from a few days ago

The confrontation between Heraclius and Phocas is like the dramatic conclusion where the hero defeats the big bad

>Heraclius makes contact with several important aristocrats and generals within the city to orchestrate a precise plan of attack where they can clear out their enemies and defeat Phocas in one fell swoop
>the plan never comes to fruition because he enters the city unopposed
>Phocas' soldiers all defect to Heraclius
>even Phocas' son
>Heraclius approaches Phocas and observing his abandonment by his troops, asks
"Is this how you have ruled, wretch?"
>to which Phocas replies
"And you think you will rule better?"
>Heraclius kills him on the spot and throws his corpse in a fire

>the hero defeats the big bad

Rather, one guy foments a rebellion while the state is fighting a desperate war, then spins a massive propaganda campaign to divert public opinion from the fact that he caused the war effort to collapse.

There's evidence that Phocas was not as universally hated as Heraclian chroniclers want us to believe. For example, the thanksgiving Column of Phocas in Rome which survived largely because Heraclian influence was rather weak in Rome.

>Templar Grand Master gets burnt on stake
>with last breath curses the Pope and King, and King's dynasty
>both Pope and King die within a year
>King's dynasty is destroyed in 15 years
Makes you think

It's true that Phocas wasn't as bloodthirsty and cruel as the historians make him out to be, but he was still a pretty bad emperor. Luckily someone semi-competent like Heraclius barley managed to save the empire from the Persians.

>His mission was to be the best...

>"You can't win! It's impossible!"
>"No... it's necessary."

Thank Allah he saved the Greeks from those dastardly Persians.

more hollywood than anime

>I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

>Phocas usurps the throne which singlehandedly starts the most devastating war between Rome and Persia in history, ending with a status quo antebellum in which both empires are devastated in time for the muslims to show up.
>"h-he saved us!"

>Just one last job then we retire

>after he and his tribe have been looked down upon for years he will rise to the occasion teach those who laughed on him who is boss and slaughter his enemies and the people who betrayed him.

>It is alleged that Timur's tomb was inscribed with the words, "When I rise from the dead, the world shall tremble." It is also said that when Gerasimov exhumed the body, an additional inscription inside the casket was found, which read, "Whomsoever opens my tomb shall unleash an invader more terrible than I."[82] In any case, three days after Gerasimov began the exhumation, Adolf Hitler launched Operation Barbarossa, the largest military invasion of all time, upon the Soviet Union.[83] Timur was re-buried with full Islamic ritual in November 1942 just before the Soviet victory at the Battle of Stalingrad.[84

>he was laughed at in school for his lack of lineage but one day he will be EMPEROR!

p-p-pure coincidence, r-right?

>it's over Phocas, I have the high ground

Zenobia is my waifu

Alexander's pursuit of Darius reads like a legit anime.

>alexander defeats him at issus
>darius flees
>alexander captures his wife and daughter but treats them honourably
>alexander defeats him at gaugamela
>darius flees again
>alexander gets on his horse and begins chasing him down as the battle is still being fought, but has to turn back at the last minute to save one of his generals
>for years alexander has spies and informants all over persia trying to find darius, to finally defeat his arch-nemesis
>suddenly darius is overthrown and one of his general, besus, declares himself the new king
>Alexander finds out where they are, jumps on a horse and with only a couple of his friends chase them down, riding day and night, almost never stopping
>besus realised they're being chased and stabs the chained up darius and leaves him for dead in the desert
>alexander arrives minutes too late, and darius is dead
>alexander has tears in his eyes for his fallen foe, slain so dishonourably
>he orders his body to taken to babylon, to be buried with full royal honours with his ancestors
>he declares besus a traitor and a usurper, and swears he will hunt him down, no matter how long it takes
>besus is betrayed just as darius was, and is handed over to alexander, who when he meets him face to face is disgusted by him and emotionally calls him a traitor who betrayed his king, the noble darius
>he had besus tortured and executed in the traditional persian way for treason and kingslaying, finally avenging darius

>and you think you will rule it better?
fuck, I imagine that question came to haunt him during his last years

>the chad Alexander vs the virgin Besus

throw in hephaistion and you have yaoi

His life is basically a visual novel

Phocas was already doing a terrible job. The entire war began as a direct result of his deposition of Maurice, and under his watch the eastern frontier collapsed in the face of the Persian invasion. Yes, the Sassanids wouldn't occupy Syria and Palestine until after Phocas was dead, but it was already heading in that direction. He also removed all the Danube forces which allowed the Balkans to be completely overrun - for the first time in Roman history - with Slavs, a problem which would plague the empire for centuries to come.

Heraclius didn't really make the situation better, but I think had Phocas been directing the war in the east then the Byzantines might have done ever worse.