Anyone here into boxing?

Anyone here into boxing?
Any tips for someone looking to get into the sport?

Thanks brevskies

I've always wanted to get into boxing. I guess I want the discipline and the workout and the ability to know how to box, but I don't want to actually box. I think the standard answer would be find a boxing gym.

I'm into boxing

But with a little bit of kicks

And sometimes knees

A tiny teeny bit of elbows too

Sprinkle in some wrestling

Add a little takedowns and chokes

>he chooses boxing over mma
>F A G G O T

>I wanna do this sport
>NO DO THIS SPORT INSTEAD

Find a good gym with a coach who actually cares about you.

That's the most important thing of all.

join a gym,
keep your hands up,
do lots of fucking cardio, you need a big gas tank
don't be afraid to hit whatever is presented to you
body shots can fuck a nigga up
don't telegraph

Been boxing for a little over 10 yrs now.
Go into the ring and get your ass kicked.
The most important part is realizing that what was holding you back was the fear of pain, not the pain itself.
Once you know what sort of pain you can feel, you will no longer be afraid of actual fighting.
This will transform you.

This is good advive

Advice*

My coach cares about my money. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped going there.

Can I train boxing at home? I'm aware it would not be the same when fighting against another but I want to be able to know how to punch and work on my power and speed by myself.

Yes. I did it for a while and even though I stopped for years now, it taught me not to swing like a fucking monkey, and to actually use my legs and throw harder quick punches. You can also learn some cool combos and you might as well teach yourself to highkick just because.

I'd still get my shit torn up by a fighter, but at least I know how to properly punch, aim, and move as instinct.

I should really go back to it.

Any recommendations on sources?

I got really lucky with mine.

Good teachers are hard to find.

Dont. Seriously, amateur mma guy here who started out boxing. If you buy a heavy bag and train by yourself at your house, you are more likely to fuck your hands, shoulders, and elbows up than you are to get a decent workout. Second, you are going to build a ton of bad habits that are going to make it so later down the road if you choose to join a gym and legit learn the skills, it will be 10x harder because you have to unlearn all the stupid stuff you tought yourself. That being said, home workouts are great to supplement, not to do for your sole means of practice.

For general advice:
>buy good leather gloves. Title makes good gloves at a decent price.
>Invest in hand wraps and learn how to properly put them on.
>Have a coach who has at least fought pro.
>have said coach teach you how to punch correctly before you work a heavy bag.
>Run every day
>When you punch hit with your two top knuckles(pointer and middle). Top two hurt them, bottom two(ring/pinky) hurt you.
>All of your power comes form your legs and your core.
>establish a good core, you can punch for almost literally ever if you have an established core and learn how to throw punches from it.
>Run every day
>Sparring is your friend.
When i first started i had my now good friend and sparring partner break my nose. Was the best thing that ever happened to me. As stated, you learn real quick that pain is a joke and you get to choose when it effects you.

>Keep your hands up. Punches dont count unless they come back to your face.
>Have every offence have built in defense.
>watch film. Ali. Tyson. Frasier. GGG. Mayweather. Carnelo. Sugar. All the greats. Learn what made them great, and what got them beat.
>"leave your ego at the door"
>Inb4 "hurr whats your record hurr hurr"

6-2. Im also an amateur and definitely do not have all the experience or knowledge necessary to be an authority on boxing.

>boxing
>not wrestling

>wrestling
>not BJJ

Boxing is a sport for loners...

Don't exclusively do heavy bag. It feels good to get on it and throw your hardest hits, but you need to do plenty of shadow boxing to prep yourself for when you miss. Also, realize the limitations of the heavy bag as a training tool; it's a big, solid target that doesn't move very much, which won't help you much at all with things like footwork, accuracy, or speed.

When you start sparring, don't put full power into every shot. You'll be slower, more predictable, and you'll gas a lot quicker. Instead, hide your power shots behind smaller ones. The easiest way to do this is have an active, distracting jab and line up power shots behind that, but you can throw any punch the same way. For instance, say you're doing a 4 punch combo: instead of trying to put full power behind all 4 punches, throw the first 2 or 3 "lightly" (about 65-70%) and then put the power behind the the last 1 or 2 punches.

High guard is your friend. It's not the most stylish defensive style, but it's very effective. Watch guys like Marlon Starling and Winky Wright if you need proof of this.

Shadowbox, shadowbox, shadowbox. Do not neglect shadowboxing, it's probably the most useful training tool next to sparring, so long as you're actively working on your form, footwork,etc. and not just going through the motions. the other tools (heavy bag, double ended bag, etc.) are all great, but all of them have a specific aspect they're meant to build up, whereas shadowboxing is much more generalized.

Championship Fighting

>"the greats"
>Canelo

Thanks for the advice, but I don't even have money for a bag in the first place and neither for gym, thats why I asked if its possible to do it at home. I guess I will just work on my core and legs and run.

Im not the OP but I really appreciate your advice user. Why is running so important though? Because you need to keep the bf low?

great advice here, but i'd like to add a few caveats to watching the greats on film. when you watch fights and sparring sessions of the greats, watch with the intent of picking up some tips and general ideas, and not to emulate the style of said greats. trying to copy these fighters' styles will almost always backfire and will probably lead you to develop bad habits. This is mostly due to 3 factors:

1. A large portion of these fighters' styles is dependent on who they were trained by. for instance, Tyson fought the way he did mostly because he was trained by Cus D'mato; if you go watch Cus's other fighters, they all fight in the same peekaboo style. Attempting to teach yourself peekaboo will almost certainly result in failure. The same goes for any major coach; all of their fighters will fight in the same general style.

2. The greats' styles were also heavily determined by their physical makeup, and attempting to emulate the style of a fighter whose body type is much difference from yours will likely result in failure. To use Tyson/D'mato as an example again, it would be silly for a lanky, tall fighter to try to fight peekaboo.

3. The greats had their own bad habits/ quirks to their styles that were often overshadowed by their athletic ability. Once the fighters started to get up in age and their specific athletic advantage started to wane, these quirks became more apparent. This is why fighters known for their technical prowess often fight successfully for longer than those known for their natural athletic talent. in my opinion,one of the best examples of this is James Toney.

to give a tl;dr, watching films of the greats can be very useful, but it's best to find a good coach and have them teach you the fundamentals.

Not him, but cardio, motherfucker.
You need to be able to last a while, not just be strong.
Fightings hard work.

running will help build up your aerobic conditioning, which will keep you from gassing as quickly. it'll also help with leg conditioning, which is crucial; one your legs wear out, you're basically fucked because you can't move efficiently, can't set up angles,etc. the fat loss is an added benefit, since less fat will let you move faster for longer.

As others stated, cardio is key to not gas out while sparring or fighting live. Watching a fight makes it look easy, but in reality even just sparring at first is the most difficult thing to do. Constant movement and constant output. You tire out quick. Fighters dont run to have low bf%, they have low bf% because they run. If running is not your thing, go swim laps or jump rope. I like to do all 3.

You can build your own heavy bag for pretty cheap. I knew a guy who made one out of old tires he picked up from a scrap dump.

>this

Very good points and im grateful you expanded on my previous note.

Amateur kickboxer here.
Do some research on the gym you plan on joining- Coaches background info and fight records etc. Join gym- dont be a hero the moment you walk in and eye every second person down.
>wereallgonnamakeitbrah.jpg

If you are serious about boxing and want to spar, know who you are sparring with and only give what you can take until you are comfortable in increasing the intensity.

Buy a skipping rope, gloves and hand wraps, as skipping helps with foot coordination- dont skip with both feet at once, try alternate your pattern and create your own rhythms.

As stated above, self taught boxing usually ends up with injuries and shitty technique- dont charlie zelenoff yourself.

So basically,
- Spar smart
- Be attentive to your coaches; once they see this, they will take you more seriously
- Cardio is key
- Technique is key
Enjoy it, (kick)boxing for me has probably been the best thing ive ever done, it trains you physically and challenges your mentail ability. Go in with an open mind and expect to get rekt.

how many times a week do you fighters go to the gym and boxing, kb, mma... classes?

It depends on the gym and how the week is structured, along with other shit you're doing. Already doing a lot of conditioning on your own? then you can probably skip some of the conditioning at the gym. It's probably still better to do it if you can, but going hard on conditioning on your own and then doing it again at the gym is a nightmare for recovery. as for how many times per week, the optimal would probably be as many as you can, but 4-5 times a week is also a good starting goal. frequency is very important for boxing; the more you're at the gym, even doing bag work or something, the better off you'll be.

>BJJ
>not SAMBO

WHOA! Who is this genetic freak? Is he on roids?

No way that's natty.

Then maybe don't post an MMA fighter instead of a boxer as your opening image?

i go 3 times a week (6 hours) to my gym then do other exercises at home