Quitting gaming

I want to quit playing CSGO, for the sake of my future I need to do this.

I only have three hobbies: Online games, offline/story games, and lifting.

I only play offline games when they come around, I'm playing Zelda at the moment and loving it, but its not an addictive time sink like CSGO.

The gym only takes up 4 hours per week directly.

What are some hobbies I can replace online gaming with? Help me lads.

Other urls found in this thread:

thestar.com/news/insight/2017/03/05/16-hour-video-game-binges-almost-ruined-calgary-teens-life.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whittling

Getting rejected by women

Why the fuck are you playing GO in the first place, play real CS.

Online games are an addiction and you get nothing to show for all the time you plow in. They never end and you will never be satisfied.

Why quit things you love when life already takes so many away?

Model planes, ships etc.

Idgaf if people think its wierd, I enjoy it and women often repsect that.

Go and buy a cheap little Titanic kit, you will not regret it.

I pretty much stopped gaming to go to /pol

I often push for the end of sex before marriage and anti degeneracy and hook up culture for women

/pol is pretty redpilled u should come hang out, i love /fit but this chad mentality so many threads have is just cancer, idk why anyone thinks having sex with multiple partners should be allowed, it only makes women into whores

Download tinder and message every match, a better time sink than most online games

because they are destructive
>Why quit things you love?
you sound like a heroin addict

Also it doesn't sound like OP does love csgo, he just described it as 'an addictive time sink'

Gimme your key m9, I'm new to pc gaming and needs to play

kys

this. my PC crashed a while back and i didnt bother fixing it. ive got more time and money since im not wasting all of it on games and im doing better in my classes.

I have hard time quitting DOTA as well, it's like I even got into paladins but played barely 30 hours and I don't play it anymore, nothing gives me this feeling I get while playing dota. I don't even know what I would be supposed to do, I thought about some clay stuff like cups etc. but don't know, havent made any steps towards it. I workout 3 days a week, it takes me 2 hours at max, I don't have many classes in uni, like 3-5 hours a day. I wish I knew how to be productive with all the time I got

I got big lifting between CS rounds. Keep dumbells next to you and suck more.

>playing CSGO
are you a slav

>shoot PC

i use a range run by the DNR and they only allow paper targets. otherwise i would use the 40 lbs of tannerite i have left over from my graduation party.

just uninstall games
get a dog/bike/
i try to go biking or just go visit my friends

Are you Swedish?

This, played mmo games for several years and thought about what i would have to show for it if the servers shut down, and i came to the conclusion that it would be nothing. As for singleplayer games, if there is a game coming out that i think might have an interesting story i just watch a walkthrough of it on youtube. Takes less time, is less addictive and you save money. And as for other hobbies you have Google, just google hobbies for men or something.

I waste a huge amount of time on rocket League

help me

Do something creative.
Do not let the endless dopamine spike from games ruin you.

Learn a language, make music.

Litterally the shallowest game out there. Fun for 3 games then uninstall

>4 hours per week directly
never gonna make it brah

Monday: an hour on chest, tris
Wednesday: an hour on legs, abs
Friday: lats, debts, traps
Sat: what ever I want

4 hours of lifting is fine, don't over train

I've got an entire bookcase of unread books thanks to me spending all my time gaming. I don't want to give it up entirely but I should probably set a rule like no games before 6pm.

Same here, well it's mostly online games for me but I get it. I don't even like playing with people, never chat because all the communities are pretty much shit nowadays. Yet I keep playing. I've decided to stop until I could join a serious team, that was a way to find a goal in a pointless video games. So far nothing so I'll play less.
Instead I'm trying to do some work to get back on my feet.
Gonna be hard but I think it's a good choice.

I could've spent all this time in the gym and had muscles bigger than my head

Play on russian servers, and you'll quit cs after a few matches

>want to try new hobbies
>quit after one week
>back to vidya because it's easy and has way better rewards and progress than learning making music, writing or learning a language

i love vidya games

why should i force other hobbys when i like to play games, i do about 15 min of posture training 3 times a week and sit straight

Se! Det er en voksen mann som fortsatt spiller dataspill!

>gym only takes up 4 hours per week
go gym more

thestar.com/news/insight/2017/03/05/16-hour-video-game-binges-almost-ruined-calgary-teens-life.html

play an instrument

Heresy grows from idleness, which means the only way to kick a bad habit is to replace it with a better habit. Pic related based Aristotle knew this.

pls be b8

good shit

I wish I had a great answer.

My problem is that I live in a foreign country where I work a 40 hour week. It is hard to meet people here my age and all my coworkers are older than me.

I turn to video games as a time sink but I don't really enjoy them now as much as I used to partly because the industry is stale right now, I have no one to play with and I think I've out grown them a bit.

Right now I am trying to start swimming twice a week on top of going to the gym 3 times. I'm going to try to read more since I have a Kindle and I like watching shit on Netflix as well.

"Same" boat.
I am doing a nogame run for my Lent.
Also, I replace this hobby with drawing. I like it because it's also productive.

Pretty much.

start watching esports on twitch.
just watching instead of doing it yourself is twice as degenerate for half the effort. you'll barely notice your life wasting away, making the process a lot less painful

Pick up some guitar lessons

Shooting to replicate csgo feeling and running/biking/rowing for the adventourus singlepöayer games, and with all these hobbies you can fill a LOT of time if you want

as someone who spent 2k in this game and reached global multiple times, this game is trash. i havent played in a year and dont miss it a bit
start playing singleplayer games (not assasins creed 48 or any other moneygrabbing western sequel shit)
try games where you can explore things, its a much better experience. dark souls, tales of berseria, witcher 3 so many great games

Browse /v/ a lot
Find out the kind of people you share your hobby with
Get sad af
Get into music
Start appreciating the wonders of real life
Get fit for getting yourself better

Even then the game I want to play doesn't even exist anyway.

Just do shit to keep yourself occupied.
Hit up some friends and go play pool, get a bike and go for a ride.
Stop thinking and start doing.

when battlefield 4 released his last dlc i bought it and played for 16 hours without stopping, eating or drinking water, i got 1350 hours of bf4 and after my motherboard broke i saw how much easier is to replace gaming with something cool and social
i started going out more, even on weekdays when i was working early the next day i went out just for couple hours, talked some shit with friends, drinked couple beers, it was fun as hell, i met girls, i made new friends i even got couple freelancer jobs
go out to some bars and pubs and meet people dude, you'll be happier doing it

The only reason why I still play video games is the social aspect of it. Besides even if you quit, you're probably gonna spend your time doing other meaningless shit. Everything in moderation.

>awp/glock/flash
what is this garbage

Every CS:GO game ever

he aint gonna make it

Get into music and film. These are also passive passive hobbies, but will bring you a lot more than vidya. Experiencing great art will make you a better, more cultured individual.

Pick up an active hobby: learn how to draw (/ic/ has great resources), how to play an instrument, start boxing, learn a new language, etc.
Active hobbies should be something you really enjoy and are motivated towards, because you need discipline and a fuckload of hours of practice to get decent at them, but they are ultimately what give you a sense of accomplishment and moving forward in life.

Read more, and read better books. Fiction or non fiction, reading is the only way to not be a complete ignorant.

filename says it all

I have 1,000 hours in CS:S
Around 880 in CS 1.6
And about 2,700 hours in CS:GO

I haven't played for over a year, for almost 8 years this game was huge for me, with the last three years taking up almost all my time (at one point 80 hours a week playing it), here's how I quit after loving that game for so long.

Realize that unless you are willing to put your entire life into that game, you are doing nothing. If you are currently in an open season, or have a scrim team, or are climbing a ladder in some league, realize that all that time studying sensitivity, watching pros, customizing your autoconfig, playing pugs, doing DM every day, doing aim maps, it's all a massive waste of your time if you are not willing to try and make money from this game.

The amount of time you are inputting to the game is not justifiable, even if you are having fun. With most games you can achieve having some fun or getting competitive without it taking over your life. You are currently at an imbalance between time spent and effect gained, it's too much.

Unless you are willing to play 80 hours a week, and get a team who is willing to practice that much, get into local tourneys, get into amateur tourneys, make it into the semi-pro scene, start making money, maybe one day play a major, unless you are willing to do all that shit then you have to stop.

If CS was a fun get-a-way then you could play it, but you're too into it now. You playing it is robbing you of other successes you could be reaping that will have long-term effects on your future.

Now listen, maybe you aren't as into it as I'm describing here, I'm treating you as if you where me, so take everything here with a grain of salt.

My advice? Play Multiplayer games casually, be a pleb casual and have fun, not too serious. Play mostly single player games.

Spend your new found free time on picking up a hobby or study that will benefit you in the years to come.

Former cs addict here. Played in CAL-i/cevo-p in source and esea-m in go.

Just stop playing. The game itself is fun, but the community is toxic and it's a massive waste of time.

What I did is just kinda let me PC "expire". I built it with an $800 budget in 2011 and I haven't upgraded it since. Now it's too slow to play current titles and just sits in a household common room for basic browsing /word/excel.

I work as a software engineer and lots of my co-workers still game on their free time. I use that time to lift, take my dog to the park, play golf, and take higher level computer vision/machine learning courses online to improve my professional skillset. I've gotten a slew of promotions as a result (more talented, more presentable, better looking) whereas coworkers aren't progressing as quickly because they're fat slobs who haven't improved their skills since college and who play rocket league all day.

Just quit and play golf. Shit, just take your gfx card out of your PC, sell it on eBay, and turn on onboard graphics. There, now you can play shitty games anymore.

Pick up golf. It's actually useful in life socially and professionally. Unlike CS

at least im not 4k

Go to meetup.com
Find groups that interest you, and go to them. Just if they're sponsored by herbalife or something stay away. Those exist solely to sell you stuff. I found a tabletop gaming group, and a group that regularly does hiking that I plan on going to when then the weather warms up.

6577 hours = three years and two months at a full time job

what might the opportunity cost of those games be over the past couple years?

truth

I would join tabletop gaming, if it wasn't every single time a huge neet loser nest that managed somehow to be even worse than me.

Easy to quit when you have 60+ ping on Dota2 and 100+ ping on OW.
RPG shit on the other hand, they're fine, you can usually finish them in 20-50 hours.
Learn other hobbies
>start playing an instrument (maybe my dick if you're into that)
>get into machinery and engines (if you have a car/bike, try to maintain it yourself)
>go out more (jog, hike, run, walk around town)
I often go for the 3rd one because there's just so many shit I've yet to see.

2004-2016 tho

god do what you love stop regreting it if you have fun its all that mattres

That's a very poor attitude.

>The gym only takes up 4 hours per week directly.

it's like you don't even want to make it or something...

>still got masters degree
>still have gf
>still live on my own

filthy casual

This, but I would also add travelling as an essential

>1200 hours total

>1719 hours

>1500 hours

ur nothing buddy

come back when you have 5k+ hours, and then you'd probably be real good at them too

you people have to realize taht most people don't do productive things all day, and even if they tell you that, they're probably exaggerating or lying.

if you quit gaming you'll just find something else to replace it with, be it just doing nothing, watching tv, just "hanging" with friends, other hobbies that are just as meaningless

Not OP, but any books you'd recommend?

Go to roll20 and get an account then browse Veeky Forums for games.

Way to play without being in neet dungeons.

>you sound like a heroin addict

Kek

Check out the Veeky Forums starter pack if you are new to "serious" literature.
For non-fiction it depends on your interests. My two favourites are Gombrich's History of Art and Koyre's History of Science (dunno if it's translated to English). Both are great introductory reads into their discipline, assuming no prior knowledge of the subject from the reader and yet giving a global overview.

If you enjoy csgo, why stop playing it? I never had a problem playing games even during college... just don't play for 4 hours straight and you are fine bro. No need for new "hobbies".

Tfw I wasted 1000h with this shit game.

I'll look into those, thanks.

I have over 6,000 real playing hours on GO. Would often play over 120 hours per 2 weeks.

Feel much better after quitting.

>History of art
a book from 1950 about visual art
>History of Science
a book about a philospher's point of view on classical mechanics and meta"shitty" physics. Keep in my mind this book is heavily based on classical mechanics (the author probably don't understand math and physics) and it shouldn't be take seriously.

Yeah right man, nice choices for books.

realize people that most things you do are utterly useless, and this is not a nihilist speaking, it's just fact.

most sports unless you're elite level? useless.
most games unless you're elite level? useless.
most instruments unless you're elite level? useless.
most tv shows/movies/random tv shit? useless.
your shitty work that you don't really like just to get money? useless.

just do whatever you truly enjoy and you might get good enought or money, or not, it shouldn't matter.

to make money*

i derped

I quit playing csgo/lol and started browsing biz, watching documentaries and just educating myself. Id never go back to gaming

dataspill og trening er life m8

Is this chestbrah and zyzz?

Imagine fucking a bitch then your bro randomly starts kissing your neck and shit.

Not OP, but if you take CS seriously, you can't just play it for a few hours here and there. Just my warmup took ~2 hours.

Whats your warmup routine? I usually play aim botz, pistol DM, headshot only DM but i still suck (im dmg/le)

what it always comes down to is this:

is the thing your doing, may that be gaming or any other "non-beneficial" activity, out of control?

- is the time spent productive in any way?
- are u spending an absurd amount of time on it?
and most importantly:
- does all the time spent on this, keep u from persueing other things you want to achieve?

for me dota was that thing that kept me from doing other things i was interested in.
i stopped playing completely for about 8 months and once i felt like i build a solid routine, and had some freetime on hand i picked it up again. it was hard at first because its tempting to fall back into old habits, but if u got enough other activities going on, you can manage to consume in a controlled way.

best of luck OP

who are these people?

This. As a history buff it's my favorite thing to do.

Just be upfront about it with people and they won't give a shit.

I would KZ for 15-20 minutes, play aim_botz or another map for 20 minutes, pistol DM for 20 minutes, and then I'd do regular DM for as long as I could without getting drained. Then I'd watch a demo or two of someone that plays the same spots or review one of myself. This was just to get ready for a 5-6 hour team prac.

Quit after I was stuck on mediocre Premier teams for multiple seasons and realized I didn't have the talent to go pro.

Martial arts
Reading
Writing
Art (anything literally, they're all great, it's what people used to do to kill time before video games and smartphones existed)
Dance
Learn a new language
Go out and spend 1-3 hours practicing 'game' each day
Film making
Urban exploring
Any sort of craft (woodwork, smithing)
Learn to code
Learn to build cars and shit
Literally anything, take up fucking knitting if it'll save your eyesight.

Unfortunately that's literally the case for me fåvæ

>had 200+ steam games
>well over 5k hours in games
>quit video games completely 3 months ago
>I look back here and there, get the occasional urge to play some rust, but don't
>been thinking about buying a gaming pc for a few weeks now
>realize I won't have time to play vidya like I used to
>the new updates look so fun though

Keep posting game time m8s.

I don't allow myself to play any multiplayer online games anymore. Lost way too much valuable time that way. I do still game... but only games I can save and walk away from at a moment's notice.

My major time suckers from the past? Quake2 and Everquest. Yes, I'm that fucking old.

hm
about 4000 lol games, average game time is something around 35minutes - 2300hrs
another 2417h logged across all Steam games
does not include time wasted away in MMORPG Lineage 2
I'm probably way north of 10000h for the last 10 years, considering that still comes out to less than 3 hours a day...

let's compare this to video games and hold the same standard in regards to its uselessness.

>Martial arts

useless unless you live in a 3rd world country where you need to defend yourself on a day to day basis, and let's be honest, most of you don't.

>Reading

useless unless you read for a very specific reason to apply that knowledge

>Writing

useless unless you write for a very specific reason

>Art (anything literally, they're all great, it's what people used to do to kill time before video games and smartphones existed)

useless

>Dance

useless

>Learn a new language

probably useless unless it's english or spanish

>Go out and spend 1-3 hours practicing 'game' each day

"game", real confidence will come with time, nothing else. sure you can practice artifical confidence with girls but u dont want that in the long run anyway

>Film making

useless

>Urban exploring

useless

>Any sort of craft (woodwork, smithing)

useless in modern times

>Learn to code

useless unless you want to work as a programmer

>Learn to build cars and shit

most likely useless

>Literally anything, take up fucking knitting if it'll save your eyesight.

yeah, or i could play video games instead, which is much more stimulating than fucking knitting

i don't even game anymore but you act like it's below every other hobby in the world

>nothing to show
That's like saying you have nothing to show for going out and drinking with your friends and having fun.