I'm thinking about buying chickens for eggs because i eat around 3 eggs per day. is it worth it?

i'm thinking about buying chickens for eggs because i eat around 3 eggs per day. is it worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aNby8ongJsM
youtube.com/watch?v=RtGf2FuzKo4
youtube.com/watch?v=rO4kdtMq8rs
youtube.com/watch?v=h6q8E2-Egdo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy roosters instead. The males have more test

Then you'll be buying chicken feed and be wasting time managing their coop. It's not worth it, OP. I've had chickens. Just buy your eggs.

Yes
> free range chickens in your backyard
> build them a chicken coop
> make top tier nest
done

No because you have to look after them. just buy eggs.

Yes.
Plus the effort needed to take care of and maintain your new hobby/food source will push your NEAT up by a significant amount.

How hard is that exactly? Once a week new hay and daily water and food?

Pretty much. It's a fun routine, i used to care for my mothers chickens sometimes. Wish i had chickens.

So if you're GOMADing you'll also buy a cow?

No, but goats are a good alternative

eggs are pretty expensive here and by the rate i'm eating them it comes out to around 45 eur/month. 20 kg of chicken feed is around 10 eur.

i have a pretty big back yard and building a heated coop wouldn't be an issue for me. also they would be free to roam as they please although when i'm at home.

how much looking after do they realistically require? i'm sure that i can only tend to their shit once per week to clean it up apart from collecting eggs daily. are they that needy?

>gains from building the chicken coop by yourself
>gains by doing farmer's walks from the store to your house with the chicken feed
>gains by overhead pressing roosters when they're ornery
>gains by eating fresh chicken eggs every day
>energy gains by waking up early to feed the chickens in the morning
>don't even get me started on the abundance of chicken meat that you'll have

Literally no downside,OP

My family raised chickens, for poultry not for eggs, while growing up. It should take around 15 minutes a day.
> replace their water supply
> feed them once a day OR just fill a hanging feeder-- chickens don't overeat
> maybe throw a small-bowl's-worth chicken feed out on the grass as well
The area near their coop will turn into dirt, and it will smell. Chicken shit might be all over the grass as well, but it's not too bad imo.
> this will attract a lot of flies though

how much food would 5 chickens eat per month? i'm assuming 20 kg would last them for quite some time

I honestly have no idea how much they eat, but 20kg should last you a pretty long time. We had about 2 dozen chickens growing up, from all sizes.

IIRC they didn't eat that much at all, but their feeder was filled with food. So, if they were ever hungry, they could've just ate whenever.

>mfw you realize chickens have more self discipline than fat people

be wary, all that feed will attract mice and rats, make sure you have a cat around to get those fuckers

Also, watch out for foxes and weasels and other such shit, they might steal eggs or even kill the chickens.

assuming you live in a rural area of course

if its more populated, predators arent much of a problem

>Veeky Forums
>farming international

I could have swore I was on a fitness board on a Japanese anime image board.

i imagine there are a lot of lads and good ol' boys who grew up on/close to a farm, and kept some kind of animal

>i eat around 3 eggs per day

Enjoy blocked blood vessels and heart disease, dumbfuck.

Kek'd

yeah and red meat induces cancer and chicken meat creates antibiotic immunity and whey shakes create kidney stones

Eggs contain the precursors to estrogen and cortisol. They're a passive eugenics device coined by the jews for population control and independent thought suppression.

How many chickens will I need to maintain the 36 hard boiled egg whites a day routine?

>implying they don't

>implying dietary cholesterol is that bad for you
You do know that dietary cholesterol increases test production, right?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you plan on letting the chickens roam your backyard (rather than letting them out in an enclosed area), you'll need to catch them each night. FME they don't go to bed by themselves, you'll have to chase them to their coop.

Denialism and broscience are an awful combination.

i planned on buying a rooster so he keeps them in control

When I was working on my friends farm they had about a dozen or so chickens, I only remember filling their feeder maybe 5 times over some months, was a big family though brothers might have done it sometimes. They don't eat a whole lot though.

youtube.com/watch?v=aNby8ongJsM
youtube.com/watch?v=RtGf2FuzKo4
youtube.com/watch?v=rO4kdtMq8rs
youtube.com/watch?v=h6q8E2-Egdo

this is one of the most retarded posts ive ever read

>this is why I want chickens
Other than over head pressing a rooster.

I'm the second generation of city people from a long line of farmers so that life has always been calling me, but why the shit would you not want to raise your own food that produces free food.

>using youtube to make a point
Read a book you dumb nigger.

not an argument

same here. my grandpa was a bee keeper in addition to having chickens and goats and a massive vegetable garden. every time i went to visit him i helped him out tending that shit and it was fun. to some that might seem boring but for some reason i find myself drawn to it

Mice aren't an issue, chickens eat them.

Enjoy eviction when it goes RRRREEEE at 4am

i own a house

You're right.
It was a statement.
Now hit the books Tyrone.

>projecting

Nigga what are u talking about it takes no effort to have chickens one time my little sister saw a baby at the rodeo and she wanted it so we bought 2 and she only really took care of it for a month until she lost interest. She wanted to let them go wild so we finally let her, but the fuckers always came back every night and sat on our windowsill. We decided they were worth keeping (no idea how they stayed alive the month that we neglected them). Eventually they started laying eggs daily for a couple of years until some stray dog got in my garage and fucking tore them apart.
Pic related, one of my babies :(

>Tfw my grandparents sold their huge house and farm
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And so do your neighbors. Your getting an animal so loud its used as an alarm clock from well outside your bedroom.

In many jurisdictions you can be sued municipally for persistent noise complaints. You're gonna pay out the ass then have to kill that cock while it's still a juvie

Or you could just go to Sams club or castco. They sell everything in bulk you can get about 3 layers of 30 eggs.

>not buying a calf
>not carrying it on your runs to gradually build up to being able to lift a steer

Thanks for the life story Jullio.