ITT:We talk about Ethiopian History

The Zemene Mesafint (Ge'ez: ዘመነ መሳፍንት zamana masāfint, modern zemene mesāfint, variously translated "Era of Judges," "Era of the Princes," "Age of Princes," etc.; named after the Book of Judges) was a period in Ethiopian history between the mid-18th and mid-19th centuries when the country was de facto divided within itself into several regions with no effective central authority. It was a period in which the Emperors from the Solomonic dynasty were reduced to little more than figureheads confined to the capital city of Gondar.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abram_Petrovich_Gannibal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zera_Yacob_(philosopher)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_philosophy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ethiopia is basically just a meme:
>le independent country resisted le imperialist colonisers

Don't forget
>le Ark of the Covenant

>Being forced by Fascist Italy to abolish slavery

>Italy ended slavery in Ethiopia
>Britain and pals are angry

t. butthurt pastanigger

Can't wait for it to collapse again

t.Mario Vesuvio beepero baaparo

How is Ethiopia relevant in the history of Europe apart from Prester John?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abram_Petrovich_Gannibal

axum was a cool

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zera_Yacob_(philosopher)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_philosophy

>Zera Yacob was a seventeenth-century Ethiopian philosopher. His 1667 treatise, known in the original Ge'ez language as the Hatata, has often been compared by a handful of non-traditional scholars to René Descartes' Discours de la méthode in (1637). His writing came at a period when African philosophical literature was significantly oral in character. He believed in following one's natural reasoning instead of believing what one is told by others.

>Knowing thus two Christian interpretations of the Bible, as well as the two other Abrahamic religions, and seeing the contradictions between them, Zera Yacob is led to refuse the authority of the Ethiopian tradition and of any tradition in general. He comes to think that the tradition is infested by lies, because men, in their arrogance, believe that they know everything and thus refuse to examine things with their own mind, blindly accepting what has been transmitted to them by their forefathers. The philosopher accepts then as unique authority his reason, and accepts from the Scriptures and from the dogmas only what resists a rational inquiry. He affirms that the human reason can find the truth, if it searches it and does not get discouraged in front of the difficulties.

>Thus, by his piece-meal examination (this is what hatätä means), Zera Yacob arrives at an argument for the existence of God (an essence uncreated and eternal), based on the impossibility of an infinite chain of causes, and at the conviction that the Creation is good, because God is good. This belief is the basis for a criticism of ascetic morals and of some Jewish and Islamic moral precepts as well

I imagine myself in Ethiopia, leading my Platoon. Our mission is to stop h*Besha dogs from advancing. We mow down h*Besha dogs but they keep coming. I shoot h*Besha dogs but I run out of ammo so I draw my saif and begin slaughtering h*Behsas since amXAAR (shit) are way more psychially inferior to me, I slay them by dozens. Then I get shot, but I didn’t fall, I kept fighting. Then shot again and again. h*Besha were shooting me from a distance like the cowards they are. I lie down, facing up to sky and I see GUREY smiling at me, I smile back… Then I woke up, in somalia, my homeland. My SAMAALE brethen gave me a warm welcome to heaven. I finally made it, I finally made it into heaven..

this

Seems pretty interesting. Any more about the guy or African philosophy in general?

The Spirit is.

I like the underground churches they're beautiful.
What history do they have through the ages though? Did they have a cool empire like Mali? Did they have some epic battles? Or is it just in recent history that it was interesting?

Aside from recent wars, They used to fight with Somali sultanates a lot

All I know is that they used to get destroyed by Somalis and ended getting saved by white Europeans

Still don’t know how the Somalis ended up taking 1/3 of their empire when they had more people even with the Portuguese empire’s help they lost

We will invade Ethiopia and free Ogaden

Take back Puntland and Somaliland and then we can talk about Ethiopia

THey minted coins in Greek for a while

This is pretty meme-tier logic but it's not like European philosophers were any better on this front.

t.CaptianJackSparrow

For what purpose

I think he come up with some compelling conclusions; i.e. fair to consider an infinite chain of causes to be impossible, hence the need for a primary mover, or God.

Also fascinated to learn about this man, I had no idea Africa had philosophy and written records of this sophistication.

Why cant a regions history be interesting on its

I red somewhere than one of socrates students was from eithiopia but i might be mistaken

Fucking love tej

DELETE THIS

keep the amXAAR and oromos quiet before feeling secure

FAKE NEWS. there's no way this fag was from Ethiopia, let alone Africa.
You fucking idiots are falling for globalist propaganda - Wikipedia is one of their perpetrators.

Easy. They were communists.

Eritrea's insurgency was being combated by the West until Ethiopia fell under the communists. Under the regime, the West turned to back the Eritreans, and they seceded from Ethiopia.

>literally given the name Hannibal
Hmmmm

Bump

>An infinite chain of causes impossible, therefore there has to be an infinitely complex omnipotent humanlike spiritual being that secretly directs events

What are the sterotypes of the different Ethiopian tribes/regions?
Also cultural differences, interesting stuff, weapons, armors etc.

That's exactly the same theory that St. Thomas of Aquinas came up with in his "Five Ways" argument, so it's on par with European philosophy at the time.

Whether this holds to modern standards of scrutiny is a different matter.