Motivation to Discipline

What motivated you to start getting in shape?

When did you develop discipline to keep aiming for your goals, or how long did it take you?

We all know motivation is temporary. Discipline is whats required if you want to truly make it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fRQr5SvQuOU?t=33
youtube.com/watch?v=jGL1x40p46s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nothing motivates me except for masturbation

I would ravage that girl.

Qt gf dumped me when I was a lad. Went through sad pathetic state shortly after. Found lifting, got disciplined cuz I wanted to see me numbers get higher.

You'd be gay not to.

As I tell everyone at work, who asks me for advice, "make a habit of it."

Stick to it and power through the hard stuff. Put time aside to make it happen. Once it's muscle memory and everything happens on its own, that's when you get to focus on the fun stuff and reap the rewards.

>What motivated you to start getting in shape?

Stumbled on Veeky Forums one night when lurking /b/. Always loved EDM which led me to a random zyzz video. These powers combined...

>When did you develop discipline to keep aiming for your goals, or how long did it take you?

Late bloomer. Dropped out of college because I didn't have the work ethic as an 18 year old to stay with it. Luckily my career forced me to grow up and find fulfillment in long term goals around age 25 and finally went back to college. Started lifting at age 27 with the discipline I had gained through my professional life and returning to school.

>We all know motivation is temporary. Discipline is whats required if you want to truly make it.

Pretty much. Even the most devoted fitizen will have days where you just aren't psyched about hitting a workout for whatever reason. Do it anyway. I've never once regretted a workout once it was done.

For me motivation started with the desire to be attractive so i could get laid, but now Ive seen the health benefits and I've learned to actually enjoy going to the gym . These days i don't even think about girls I just want to keep getting stronger girls are a barely a side interest

>girl
>gay not to

>motivation
As lame as it sounds, I started doing parkour as a kid because I saw it in Warrior Within and it looked neat.

Then I started running and lifting because I wanted to be stronger for that and have a nicer body.

>developing discipline
I don't know how long it took, but eventually it just became a habit. I couldn't picture my day without working out to some extent. If I skipped a session, I'd feel bad and that's just it.

I was motivated because I just turned 24 and realized how out of shape I was, and that it was my last opportunity to see my body's potential.

As for discipline, so far I haven't needed much, because surprisingly I enjoy working out. I never realized how satisfying it would be and how much I would become addicted to the pump and subsequent soreness.

not lame at all, in fact that's how Clarence0 started and now he is one of the GODS of fitness
youtu.be/fRQr5SvQuOU?t=33

A hot girl I was seeing totally played me. It made me realize that I had invested everything into her and the relationship and not myself. From now on I invest In myself and people are along for the ride and the fun.

>girl

Nothing to do with motivation. Just made it a habit.

My nigga
The soundtrack to Warrior Within is also the reason I started playing drums

Girls.

Well pretty much every adult member of my family has one of the following:
Diabetes
High Blood pressure
Some horrible thing involving their hearts

Also one day I looked at the mirror saw my flabby overweight self, said "Bored with this now" and signed up for the gym the next day

>When did you develop discipline to keep aiming for your goals, or how long did it take you?
God's honest truth?
I am having the best craps of my life right now. If someone had told me when I was younger "Hey if you work out and eat right, you'll only be on the toilet for 5 minutes, 10 minutes if you want to read" I would have started working out back then.
Also working out makes fapping so much better it's ridiculous. Describing the difference would be like describing the Sun to a blind man.

Story of my marriage. Don't put all your eggs in one basket they say. Or you'll loose a lot of fucking eggs.

Some women will suck you dry (not in the fun way) and leave you out in the cold.

I couldn't bear to see my shitty, scrawny body anymore.

It became a habit maybe after 4 or 5 months of going to the gym 5 times a week.
I still need to find new pics regularly for my "motivation" folder, unironically browsing it helps me a lot.

everyone i went to high school with getting fat and out of shape and swelling up and just not wanted to be like them.

>Get a gym card about a year ago
>work out for a few weeks
>stop going
>months pass, still paying for the membership though
>think to myself "i shouldnt be paying for something Im not using"
>decide to cancel my gym membership the next day
>going there and telling them I want to cancel is super tedious and awkward
>I just started going to the gym instead
>now I work out 3-4 times a week
basically I work out because Im lazy and I have autism

>Start vaping
>Only allow myself to vape after a hard session
>Body starts craving hard training alongside nicotine

Flawless victory.

At what cost though?

You're now a vapelord

I read Tony Robbin's book Awaken The Giant Within and Napoleon Hill's Think And Grow Rich.

I also recommend Scott Adams's book How To Fail At Almost Everything And Still Win Big.

Also Steven Pressfield's books Going Pro and The War Of Art.

Read a bunch of self-help books that are popular and highly rated on Goodreads and Amazon and APPLY THEIR LESSONS.

Oh, also Frank Zane has some great books- read The Mind And Bodybuilding.

tl;dr define your goals, visualize yourself succeeding on a regular basis, practice daily affirmations.

Know that your mind makes it real. You become what you think about. The placebo affect in double-blind scientific studies proves this.

Good post friend
im a lifting noob but, some days i feel like >tfw no mood to lift weights
but then i just drink triple coffee, take massive shit and go lift anyway

btw lookin hella thicc bro, wish i had same back (it will come)

Have you also noticed how food tastes better after a hard work out?

God this make me wanna roid...

motivation was to simply look better than everyone

discipline came from the benefits pf getting heaalthier and the prospect of finally getting close
to doing pull ups for the first time in my life

Honestly, it was Donald Trump winning the Presidency when nobody thought it was possible.

It made me feel motivated to think big, to do things I and most people think are impossible (for example, to become the greatest bodybuilder of all time)- so that when you fail at your goal, you still fail above everyone else. You aim higher than your mark, so you do hit your mark.

So let's say I set my goal to become like Arnold- if and when I fail, I might at least look like zyzz.

It made me realize meme magic is real- crazy outcomes can be willed into existence through the use of thoughts and willpower and obsession. Become obsessed with your goals, fuck everyone's objections. Your are the Donald Trump of your life, you are the President of your plan, of your goals.

Nothing is impossible. Donald Fucking Trump was memed into the Presidency. You can lose those last 10 fucking pounds, you can hit that 12th rep.

You are alive, nothing is impossible. Life is insane right now- why settle for a loser's mentality. Be a winner.

I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw.

Until I like what I see, there is work to be done.

And even then the work never truly ends.

Also, I found out about Chris Chan through that picture "what will you look like at age 27?" and now I always think, when I'm tempted to be lazy, to skip a workout, to make an excuse "what would Chris Chan do?" and then I do the opposite. I think about Arnold's body and Chris Chan's body, and their habits.

Also, whenever I used to want to make a change in my life, I'd abandon it after a few days or weeks. Let's say it was meditation- I'd "forget" why I ever decided to start it (but really if I'm being honest I'd just get lazy.) Now when I make a change, I right down the best and biggest reasons I made the decision and look over the list when I'm tempted to abandon it.

"I don't feel like meditating, it's not a big deal, I said I'd meditate twice a day but..." and I look at my list:

1. Jerry Seinfeld said meditation is like a phone charger for your mind- it never doesn't work.
2. It will give you more energy- the best thing there is!
3. It lowers blood pressure and stress.
4. It will make you feel ecstatic when you're done.
5. It will synthesize the studying you did- supercharging diffuse-mode thinking.
6. James Allen, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ivanka Trump, Frank Zane, Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, Hugh Jackman all do it.
7. It will let you sleep less.
8. Your head won't hit the desk at 3:00 pm.
9. You deserve a break.

etc, etc...

First 6 months were the hardest. After that when you've picked up significant newb gains you'll start to feel like you're too far invested to let them go. It's kind of like how you might get 3/4 done with your college degree and be ready to just say fuck it, but at that point you've put in too much work to just throw it away. It would have all been for nothing. So you keep going...

pic related, vintage balcony shit, ferocious 125lbs when all I had were a few dumbells in my apartment complexes shitty "gym".

Are you me?
This plus i wanted to get higher quality girls without having to act different. Deciding looking better would be better for that goal while keeping my sanity.

There's nothing quite like eating a whole pizza after a long cardio session

Was an alcoholic, lost the drive to do anything except drink, fucked my entire life up. Lost my girlfriend, my job and house. Only person that didn't give up on me was my nan. She died two years ago. I just sat in her house (which she left me) after the funeral just staring in the mirror, just wishing she could have died being proud of me, not the fuck up I became. I told myself if she wouldn't give up on me, I won't give up on myself.
I quit smoking that day and eased myself off drink. Then I started to keep some drinks in the house to test myself, to teach myself to have some restraint. Started looking in to doing some exercise because I had become a full on skeleton. In the last year I work out 5 times a week, I only have the odd drinks with friends, I'm working again, get a shit load more attention from girls. When even I am feeling like I lack motivation I just think of my nan. While it's too late for her to see me improve, I don't want to hurt someone I love by being that shit again.

Good on you for turning things around. Honestly gives me hope for my ex. She's intelligent, really hope one day she see's she can't keep going the way she is now.

>I don't want to hurt someone I love by being that shit again.

imo this is the key that addicts have to understand. They always think of their problem as this thing that's simply self-destructive as if it's contained in this silo of their own life. They don't realize the pain they inflict on everyone around them.

Got sick of living in the friend zone.

There was always a wolf living in side of me, it just took me a while to let him out to play.

Huh. I think you might have autism.

When I was 14 and started clumsily in the gym, it was because I wanted to be an actor and get into shit where I could play decently fit roles (more specifically superhero/action movies, since not too many fit guys get to show it off on live stages). It was stupid, but I was 14, fuck it.

When I got back into the gym around age 18 and hadn't set foot in a gym in years, it was honestly zyzz and his "exploits" that got me motivated. Of course that was about 7 years ago.

I don't know if I'm fully disciplined in it yet. I just know that if I don't get to lift for long lengths of time, my depression tends to come back. Plus it's an enjoyable high to chase, so that keeps me going back. It took probably 2-3 years after I turned 18 to get to the mindset I'm at now.

>Abusive father
>Got into a huge fight one time
>Tossing me around and helpless because I was so scrawny back then
>Started lifting
>GAINSS
>He doesn't pull that shit anymore

mfw kind of wish I had an excuse to release all these years of anger and frustration..

I promised myself id kill myself if i failed, it works

>she

I'm just tired of being fat and don't want to be fat anymore.

I want to look good and feel good. I want to be able to pull of a leather jacket. I have a qt gf who deserves better than some BMI 31 loser who isn't doing shit all to improve himself.

My mom getting diagnosed with cancer two years ago. Really made me think about my own health and future. Started exercising, quit smoking, and totally revolutionized my diet. Also minor annoyances don't bother me to the degree they used too. Perspective, I guess.

Cheers man.
Well, hopefully she can turn it around. Sadly so many don't and there's nothing you can do. That's what I hate looking back, people tried to help me. Some really tried and I was just so far in to my own little world that I didn't take in to account what they're feeling. You're right that the pain inflicted to others is just ignored. Sure you wake up filled with guilt most mornings, but a drink will take that away. Then repeat.
I was living with my ex and rightfully she eventually couldn't take it any more and left. At the time I blamed her for it not working. Not the fact she was suffering because all I did was drink, I would argue with her if she even raised the subject of me drinking too much.
So like you said I was in my own little world just thinking I am destroying myself. Yet completely oblivious to how anyone else was feeling and even when I had moments where I realised I was hurting others, yep again a drink would take care of that.
So can't change the past, but I have made efforts to apologise and try to make it up to anyone I have hurt. Some accept some don't and that's fair enough. But thanks to one amazing lady I have a second chance. So every lift is for nan.

> be dating girl for 2.5 years
> she abruptly ends it over facebook one day
> find out it's because she's "queer", but has been fucking both dudes and chicks behind my back
> absolutely devastated. was my first real relationship and all the teenage love/lust that went into it makes me feel even worse
> realize at this point that I'm a skinnyfat slob with no muscle and need to lose weight
> go to the gym initially to just do cardio for the good feelings
> one day try out squatting and realize I really like it
> two years later, now I work out to silence the crippling self-loathing that I thought lifting would fix in the first place

>I would argue with her if she even raised the subject of me drinking too much

This x1000. It's so hard to communicate with someone who's in it that deep. I tried everything. I never even asked her to not drink, I simply wanted her to be able to stop around the 4th glass of wine. That's when she was fun and affectionate level drunk. So when I'd see her rounding 4th base and trying to go for a 5th and I'd be super polite, wouldn't even call her out..."hey, why don't we go upstairs for some fun??" or something along those lines. But she was so defensive (and internally guilty) about the addiction she would immediately go into chains-off argument mode..."I don't need someone in my life who's going to try and tell me how much I can drink. You're trying to control me!!"

Final straw came one night with that exact scenario. She had a rough day, I spent the whole evening with her trying to comfort her. She was going for round 6 which I knew meant t-minus 10 minutes until I'm being verbally/emotionally abused. Suggested we go cuddle. She said she wanted another drink. I explained I was at her house specifically to be her comfort that night, I was there for her...we already had the fun buzz from 4 drinks, #'s 5 and 6 aren't going to make it *more* fun. She interpreted it as me trying to tell her how much she's "allowed" to drink. Nuclear mode. I told her if she wanted to keep going that's fine, but that's not why I'm here...I'll head home and you can drink alone or you can stop now and appreciate the fact that I'm here for you. She flat out told me +1 more drink was more important than my presence that night. Felt like a punch in the gut. Knew it was over.

She apologized the next day of course. But that's just one of many stories of terrible treatment, blackouts where she said/did things she claimed not to remember, etc. I'm not even religious but I pray for her. She's doing so much damage to herself. Shit fucking sucks.

An extreme amount of life-long self-hatred.

>She flat out told me +1 more drink was more important than my presence that night.

That's the thing with it. At the moment the extra drink is more important to her. I've been the same, I wouldn't admit it at the time, but now, looking back. That's exactly how it was.
There is no way to talk about it when that's the case. Everything you say will be wrong, doesn't matter if it's right or that you really care. In that moment the only thing that matters is that next drink and you be damned if you're going to get in the way of it.

Unfortunately you can't help those that won't accept it. The best thing you can actually do is save yourself. It must really suck to have to walk away from someone you care about, sadly I was the one that caused them to walk. So I can't really say I know what you went through. But I know how I was at the time and looking back, I have no idea why some people stuck around as long as they did. It took me losing everything to finally see what I had become. Up until that point I was oblivious, yeah I knew I drank too much, just like clearly your ex knows she does. Otherwise it wouldn't be such a sore subject with her. But it's weird how much you delude yourself that it's all fine and other people are being dicks and trying to stop your 'fun'.

The only way out is for a person to want it. If they don't want to stop, they won't stop. Nothing you say or do can change that. So as you clearly care about her, hopefully you have no guilt. You seem like you would be there for her in a second to help if she wanted to change. But unless she wants to change there is nothing you can do. So you are better off out of it.

Nothing motivated me to want to get fit or healthy. I just want those aesthetics. Discipline in physical things comes fairly easy to me.

Pic/vid related

forgot the vid youtube.com/watch?v=jGL1x40p46s

Being angry and sad all the time was is motivation. I'm angry at everything all the time, it is good for the gainz

A fair bit yea, I'm totally capable of eating celery after a work out no problem, before it was my most hated vegetable.

Trying to beat alcohol addiction. I searched around and found out that lifting is one of the best sober highs you could get. So I figured I'll exchange alcohol for lifting. I'm not quite through yet but I'm getting there. ATM drinking 3 days a week and working out 4 days. To be honest the sober working out days are much, much better. Next week it's 2 drinking days and 5 working out.

>From now on I invest In myself and people are along for the ride and the fun.

That's pretty damn great user-senpai

Ex was crying to me, thinking I was gonna die of a heart attack because I was sweating so much running around the city (kept up with her the entire way) and because I was so sedentary because of how hot and sticky NYC summer are.

Still on a cut, down to 187 lbs from 275. Got to a 275lb deadlift on a near constant cut/minor bulk but restricted protein diet before I injured my back. Even then injury was because I was coming back from break, and didn't drop my deadlift weight like a retard. and then proceeded to try and power through a weight that was too heavy.

i'm not being so restrictive now, while I nurse the injury. I should probably work on posture and stuff as well. Weak chin and flared ribs so poor posture rekts my attractive gains from losing weight.

>over correcting
LRN2Balance child.

>get m8
>give a little
>take a little
>compromise a little
This is how you have a healthy relationship. If either side doesn't adhere to this, it's over.

Been drinking a lot so I gained a lot of weight. Right now I'm at 227 pounds. A couple of friends payed for my gym membership, all I have to do is pay for my monthly fee which is 20 bucks. at planet fittness.

user story of my college life

that is so reasonable i love this ty

9 months ago I just decided I wanted to be strong and so started going to the gym. Motivation and discipline never really went into the equation

I autisted my way through JLPT N1 and realized I can probably autist my way through fitness too (to be worthy of my waifu)

I was tired of being tiny and mildly effeminate, so I cut 15 pounds of excess fat and now working on gaining size. I'm also being treated for hormonal problems so hopefully I'll see some good come of that.

>when to first big anime convention as a 300lb neckbeard weeb
>hot as fuck anime sluts dressed up skimpy
>normally don't care for women (2d is superior) but my dick was confused
>judge free zone literally no one gives a FUCK what you're wearing or doing
>have a super magical experience
>me and fat bro decide after this amazing adventure to get in shape and cosplay next year and fuck at least 1 anime bitch
>lose 100lbs, put on as much muscle as possible, all in 1 year
>pure motivation kept me going for a year
>gain confidence in my body and my self
>made social skills
>made money
>con day arrives
>realize lifting is now a hobby and also realize con day will mean missing gym
>haven't missed a single gym day in a year, not a SINGLE FUCKING ONE
>take the plunge, make it a deload week
>dressed up as 2hu grills we both prowl for anime bitches
>both of us got to fuck mediocre tier cosplay grills
>just glad they aren't fat or even chubby, average as fuck

Went again the year after that (making it 2 years of lifting) with much better results though.

Developed discipline naturally by continuing to go every day. Consistency is key I guess.

Ran into my ex-step dad a few months ago at my half sister's graduation party. Last time he saw me I was a 5yr old he beat and yelled at to man up. Now I'm 6'3 and huge after years of boxing and weightlifting. I feel you bro.

anyone got a source on this pic? thanks.

>made social skills

How does one do this? I just started uni and i find it hard to hold a conversation with people i don't know.

i want it purely for non-pornographic reasons :^)

Personally I didn't want to start talking to people I had sat by all semester and been silent to, so this semester I've made a point to introduce myself to everyone I sit by. Class is much more enjoyable now. I also started lifting this semester, those things along with being aware of my posture at all times has made me the most confident I've ever been.

Long story short

> Attempted to ask girls out
> Usually say no
> "Maybe its cause I'm a fat fuck"
> fast foward 4 years
> Playing Witcher 3, shit was so fucking fun
> Notice Geralt is fit as fuck
>"Hey, what's stopping me from looking like that"
> Hit the gym and watch diet ever since
>Lost 40 lbs
>Hit a plateau recently, found out its my thyroid
>Starting meds tomorrow and hitting the gym a little more

Hope I get this ripped

........just how fat were you, user?

I have some bad news...

I had been lurking Veeky Forums for around 2 months when I was convinced. I have always been chunky in the past and tried lifting before but could never stick with a program. After lurking Veeky Forums I decided I'd give it one more try while I'm in college and got a lot of time on my hands. Every so often I'll watch a motivational video on YouTube but I go lift more because I like it and fee wierd when I don't, like my rest days right now I feel worthless so I'm bumping up my lift days per week.

I was like 210 when I started
Plateau-ing 167-173

If you're like 5'10" then that's pretty normal weight, so good job.

The bad news is you're gonna get stretch marks and loose skin. Just going to have to live with that or get expensive cosmetic surgery.

The other bad news is Geralt's body is that of a professional athlete that has been working out since their teens and has been lifting for anywhere between 5 to 10 years.

Doesn't mean you still can't have that body, but you'll be dedicating a significant portion of your life towards looking like that.

legs bro

N
NO
NO C
NO CH
NO CHE
NO CHES
NO CHEST

Fak
I've been lifting a little over a year and a half, I do notice loose skin on my stomach but it's miniscule compared to what i thought it would be, like i can see my abs after a workout so it cant be THAAT bad
Hopefully if I work hard enough and eat clean I'll get that body

Roids help. I'm not kidding.

I've been on this American Autism Appreciation forum for a while now, but thats the most autistic thing I've ever read.

Too poor for roids + I don't wana put that shit in my system
Discount Geralt will have to do
But thanks though

Pretty sure roids are actually cheaper than common fitness supplements.

Don't ask me tho, I've no direct personal experience with them. But the results don't lie.

Thanks brah.

GIVE ME SAUCE ON OP PIC

When sitting became uncomfortable.

Once I realized that if I ever wanted to go Special Forces I'd need to fix things right then. I ate nothing but fruits and vegetables for one month to break my mental habit of eating shit foods then began an actual diet of 1300-1500 cals a day. Went from 241lbs to 180lbs. Then inna army I fucked my back up, got arthritis and now am fixing shit again. Currently 181lbs and trying to get to 200lbs 10% body fat. Never did get a chance to go SF but that's bad history and nothing more.

Watch the movie Silence for ultimate discipline.

next thing you're going to advocate gastric bypass surgery in a motivation thread

one step forward, two steps back

Heaven forbid a topic builds itself into another related topic, user.

She's dead dude

>her
ive got some bad but also possibly good news for you

protecting my girl. we're gonna get married soon, cant start a family if I cant protect it

Also who is that semen demon

That's my perspective too user. Got a thing going on with this chick but she needs regular and constant validation whereas I can't be bothered with her attention whoring, probably gonna drop it.

>roiding for this

>protecting my girl. we're gonna get married soon, cant start a family if I cant protect it
>Also who is that semen demon

>you have a fiance
>you're not allowed to look at other women bro

is that really a guy?