The Resolute Oval Office Desk

Did you know the current desk in the oval office was made out of an abandoned British Navy ship called the HMS Resolute and was gifted to the US by Queen Victoria, in an effort to soothe gathering tensions between the two countries?

This video covers it in detail:
youtube.com/watch?v=T3zFTa408f8

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BPVY0KE/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=new
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's a really good looking desk.

Yeah, I'd fuck it.

>WE

There's a plaque on the desk that reads:

H.M.S. RESOLUTE forming part of the expedition sent in search of SIR JOHN FRANKLIN IN 1852, was abandoned in latitude 74° 41' N longitude 101° 22' W on May 15, 1854. She was discovered and extricated in September 1855 in latitude 67 degrees N by Captain Buddington of the United States Whaler "GEORGE HENRY."

The ship was purchased, fitted out and sent to England as a gift to HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA by the PRESIDENT AND PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES as a token of goodwill & friendship. This table was made from her timbers when she was broken up, and is presented by the QUEEN OF GREAT BRITAIN & IRELAND to the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES as a memorial of the courtesy and loving kindness which dictated the offer of the gift of the RESOLUTE.

Not the queen of Ireland anymore, mofo.

not only was it gifted by queen vic, she also made one for herself. i saw it in that nicholas cage documentary, national treasure 2.

>Trump's Tweet Table is made from an abandonded British ship
Interesting.

well part of it

ULSTERMEN WILL REMAIN FREE

Didn't Jackie Chan kill Liam Neeson and free Ireland?

no

Yes I saw the movie about treasure hunters too.

nicholas cages cat tells him hes gonna kill him

Scotland needs to ditch that bitch, too.

Nice

The captain that abandoned the HMS Resolute got court martialled for being a puss.

That's just standard when a sea-worthy vessel is left though. It's nothing to do with exceptional cowardice.

Good vid.

She's not going to be around much longer, give an old woman her rest.

Some other cunt will come in though.

Nigga what Franklin died on the expedition

The HMS Resolute's expedition went searching for the Franklin Expedition. They made it home okay.

Cuck

Not in this timeline

Is this how Americans think working is?

Did you know the white house is called that because the royal navy burned it down? :)

I knew that but I didn't want to sound like a know-it-all so I kept it to myself.

I'd grow my armpit hair out for it.

Oof
Even Jackson is Embarrassed

Trail Of Tears? More like Trail Of Fears Of Muslims...

That's how I work but I'm, like, really smart.

Fun Fact: The Resolute Desk is called as such because it was constructed from the English Oak timbers of the HMS Resolute

so the british build a ship, then sink it, then the americans repair it and give it back to the brits and the brits destroy it again to give america a desk?

An oak desk at that

Yes, we all did know that. We all have in fact, seen National Treasure.

Who made this, and why did they not include the crest on the front, and why did they get the proportions of side panels wrong too?

William Evenden was the Designer and Carpenter of the desk. It was originally made without the centre panel, the picture's you see are the making of that centre panel.

The centre panel was made to hide FDR's polio legs. OP's vid covers that.

It's been remade a few times.

No he wiped out the IRA to hand it back to the Brits, based Hong Kong man

Jackie Chan exposed the British in Rush Hour 2 or something.

Jackie Chan whittled the Resolute Desk out of Steve Coogan late in the 19th Century.

Jackie Chan is the president.

This
I'd like to have a similar one

For just $8,995, you can... Plus $5 shipping. amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BPVY0KE/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Great find!

Literally everyone who watched National Treasure knows this

Someone saw national treasure 2

I don't want one exactly the same, that's be tacky