Who /swim/ here?

Who /swim/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SONx52cyltI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I do, swimming is God tier cardio.

I mainly do it to impress a chick who said she loves watersports.

Yeah, and run, and lift

swam for 10 years. Best activity for your health.

t. 2 time state championship winner.

>I mainly do it to impress a chick who said she loves watersports

That doesn't mean what you think it means m8

Do you think she means surfing etc? I've been doing some water skiing too

>was a fucking prodigy until end of middle school/start of high school
>multiple school and even a state record
>top out at 5'8"
>not even competitive anymore in highschool to the point I quit the team

I still love swimming at least. Planning on hitting the pool pretty hard this summer during my cut.

/waterpolo/ here, chad tier sport

holy shit are you me?

I usually swim three times a week, but my knee is fucked up for some reason, so I skipped swimming yesterday. Walked around all winter with a boot that had lost part of the sole. I just want to get down to 1 km breaststrokes in 20 min. Current record is 27 minutes.

I take these dubs as a sign that my knee will get good again and that I will succeed. SHADILAY, KEK BE PRAISED

I like swimming because there's usually some cute guys at the pool

no homo, I have a gf

>cardio
>gains
choose one and only one

i believe you can :D

I live by the beach and go swimming often ~6 months of the year

>1 km breaststroke
Why in the name of god are you doing this
Just go for freestyle for anything above 400m

Does swimming help tone your body? I remember the swimming team in my highschool all had 6 packs

Kek

Watersports in the bedroom my guy....

i cant swim

How should I start swimming. What's a good routine? I have access to a nice pool

swimming is a decent full body workout, so your core does get used, yes. And most swimmers have low bf

I much prefer the left. I don't know what it is with women and makeup.

What I like to do when I've not been in a while is tbis

Last length of each set is max effort

Start with two lengths and keep adding two till you can't go anymore. Then do it in reverse.

So say you got up to 20 lengths you next do 18, 16, 14 and so on.

Remember. Last length of each set is max effort

Rest between 1min and 5min between sets

>tfw never placed above 13th at state

>I also only started swimming my soph. year of highschool and only swam 3.5 months out the year

Pic related. But I don't really know much about anything Veeky Forums related, Once I can do 1 km breaststrokes in 20 min, I'm gonna learn good freestyle technique. Gonna go swimming ---> Muay Thai.

Also, my knee already feels better after stretching my outer shin. SHADILAY

Can you go swimming if you've not been trained? I know how to swim, but not with proper technique or anything like that. At the beach or whatever ill just front crawl for a bit. I know I'm not doing it correctly, but I'm too old to bother with a trainer.

I see people in my gym's pool all the time and they look like pros. I don't wanna go in and flutter about like a cunt y'know?

You certainly can however I would recommend watching this youtube.com/watch?v=SONx52cyltI .
It explains front crawl/freestyle technique.
Focus on form until you feel really smooth moving through the water, then you can work on further distances/sprints.

D1 swimmer checkin in

What do you swim and times?
>(pls be grill)

not grill sadly, 50.2 100y back and 3:59 400y IM

I never learned to swim properly as a kid. Swimming teacher drove a phobia of water even deeper into my childhood brain by tricking me into trying to swim across the deep end with a hook in front in case I need to grab, but he kept it out of reach, and I panicked and went under and thought I'd drown. I hate that guy.

Anyway, I can front crawl like 25m but I'm fucking gassed by the end of it, and if I try to go slower I sink.
Also I can't tread water, I just don't know how the fuck people do it.

Any tips or shit?

Damn son. What year are you?

I'm guessing you just need to get a "feel" for it? Not like I can record my form or anything.

I'll give it a try tomorrow ty user

Yeah basically, focusing on those points in the video like extending your arms all the way out and how to position your elbows helps out a ton. Reduces pressure on you joints and allows for more distance without tiring(small amounts though)

I love swimming so much

or used to, that is

when I was 10-12 I started getting fat and self conscious, and I stopped going to the pool

at 21 and 270lbs I decided to start losing weight
I'm 22 and 185lbs now, but I'm still too ashamed of my body to be seen around a pool

I wanted to go swimming this summer, but it looks like I'll have to wait another year

trust me do the length 30x in ANY style and you're done.swim is godtier workut

holy fuck that's fast

I would say something that may help is staying in areas you can touch. Most pools are 4-5 feet deep for about half of the length of the pool before it slopes off to deeper water. So you can swim and feel comfortable to stand up if you get tired. Try adding half a length to your workout every time you swim.
You could also try different strokes like floating on your back and extending your arms above your head and pulling them down to your hips. You would float with your face out of the water while still working lats and tris.

Let me know if anyone has anymore questions. Ill be back in an hour-ish.
t. state level swimmer, life guard, water lessons instructor
I'm this user(Im only gunna name fag for swim threads)

Any advice on going fast?
My technique at a normal tempo is fine, but whenever I try to sprint it kind of turns into wild flailing.

I always have problems taking breaths while swimming freestyle.
My breaststroke is my worst style, any tips for that?

>Start with two lengths and keep adding two till you can't go anymore
>say you got up to 20 lengths you next do 18, 16, 14 and so on
I calculated this would amount to 11km in an olympic size pool
I don't know how fast you are but that's an insane distance to cover in one exercise
Oussama Mellouli finished the 10km marathon swim in just under two hours in the London olympics and I'm guessing your not even nearly that fast

I'm very stiff in general after years of sitting around. Trying to improve but I don't like running or anything like that, that's why I want to do swimming.

But, it's much easier to have poor form with running/cycling etc I figure than swimming.

I mean I am going to try, and it's not like I'm going to be pumping out 50 lengths any time soon, but I don't want to get into bad habits starting out.

I find breast stroke the hardest if I'm being honest. Can never get the legs / arms to work together. In school I was always good at the butterfly, even won a medal :3

Dang sun, gotcha beat on IM but that 50.2 is tasty.

Just go man, no one cares.

I do

I don't want to see myself, and I don't want anyone else to have to see me either until I'm finished cooking

Breastroke will put the greatest strain on your knee user
If your knee is in bad shape don't do breastroke, ESPECIALLY NOT A FULL KILOMETER

Yeah, I did a half kilometer this Monday and then quit. Gonna rest and stretch and then try again on Monday. But thanks for the concern, also, it's great to see a swimming thread here in between all the lifting and manlets.

Kek

Shit Yeah, I forgot to me to on the length of my pool is 20m. No Olympic pools round here

I actually don't really lift, just surf and do pull ups when there's no waves. Also have other active hobbies like hiking and skating but I surf between 8 and 20 hours a week depending on the waves.

Is surfing a physical hobby?

Serious question. Is it quite physically demanding?

Is he wearing these

Most of the time is spent waiting for waves and paddling into position. I ride a short board so paddling is a lost closer to swimming than a long board which takes less effort to gain speed. But yeah it's cardio and burns a lot if you paddle around a bunch. Riding the wave itself can take a bit of effort but the ride is usually under a minute for good waves. If waves are good and consistent I'll stay out two hours surfing nonstop until I'm spent. If they're good but there are long waits between sets, I can stay out as long as 6 hours.

do you remember your times from the champoinships?
at what age did you start swimming?

Keep your lungs full at all times. Only exhale to make room for new air. This makes you effectively impossible to sink.

Not the guy you were talking too but I can testify swimming noob gains are fucking spectacular.
Started going three times a week because I fucked up my knee while running. First time I had to take a break after every length (50m) and only did 12 in total.
3 months later, today, I swam 2300m in crawl without any break and did 4 lengths of breaststroke before and after.
Didn't do any specific exercise, just went to the pool every other day. My form is probably bad but I can feel it being much swifter and fluid than before.
First 4 length of crawl are a real bitch though. After that it's smooth sailing until I have to go pee.

kek

don't wait, now is the time

we all want you to hit that goal sooner rather than later

this is literally the body of peak performance

Can someone gimme a noon swim workout routine to build on?

*noob

Does this help with a bulged herniated disk

Muuuaahhh the frensch

Whats a reasonable time on 50m for breaststroke?

Stuck on 45 secs now

>squats: not even once

Well I did those but it wasn't my fault it was something called miserable malaligment. Femur and tibia were facing different angles and caused the back issue.

technique

Golden Boy was great.

The problem is you are flailing your arms. The key to good sprints is how hard you pull through the water. Keeping your elbows tight to your body also helps out quite a lot. If you have access to hand paddles use those and then pull through the water very hard, its a very noticeable difference.

I may be something you need to get a feel for and just keep working on.
I'm not sure what level you are at but the basic advice is to turn your head to the side to breath. The head turn happens at the end of the arm pull when you arm is by your side/legs.

I'm shit at it, but I still struggle through it.

How to get gud?

I've been swimming after my workout for a couple months now. It's amazing for getting my heart rate up and then doing some light stretching in the pool. It's helped a ton with some shoulder pain I was having on bench, and it's really fun to be getting faster through improving my form.

Would recommend.

1km Breaststroke.. WHY?!?
Assuming you are not trolling the reason why your knees are fucked up might be you swim too much breaststroke, with a kick too strong.
I'm serious, too much and heavy breaststroke can fuck up knees.
A body of mine failed the army medical test,because his knees were fucked which was because he was a competitive breast-swimmer.

I can breaststroke indefinitely while I'm almost drowning after a pool's length of freestyle.