Does having a beer and a bit of whisky after lifting really hurt your gains?

Does having a beer and a bit of whisky after lifting really hurt your gains?

Have them before and it helps your gains.

alchohol prevents muscles from being able to repair themselves.

you're actually loosing gains, since your muscles are being damaged and then preventd from being able to repair themselves

Maybe it does? I don't know.

Sounds like bro science there bro.

Yes.
interrupting protein synthesis = tipping scale towards catabolism

It is a matter of degrees, not on or off
you better off lifting and drinking then not lifting or drinkings, of course lifting and not drinking is best.

>you better off lifting and drinking then not lifting or drinkings

debatable

No

Alcohol lowers your testosterone production and your protein synthesis.

If it's only a few drinks on off days I think you'd be okay. I certainly didn't make any gains my freshman year of college despite lifting 3-4x per week and drinking 3-5 days per week on average (6-12 drinks per day)

>drinking 3-5 days per week on average (6-12 drinks per day)

Literally an alcoholic.

>extreme alcoholics with liver failure have lower test
>any alcohol whatsoever must lower test
A little bit is fine and may increase test production. It'll certainly help you lift more, porbably helps with recovery by relaxing you. Certainly a century ago it was used as a performance enhancer alongside such favourites as opium and cocaine. Chris Duffin also didn't find whiskey and deadlifts deliterious.

probably, I can have one or two drinks and stop now but I still prefer getting loaded to buzzed.

Alcohol has no effect on strength or muscle gains just do a quick google search and read some studies.

It does affect cortisol levels though.

>tfw no nordic gf even though you're scandinavian

100% increase in lifts

it's not the test that will hurt your gains, it's interrupting sleep patterns, depleting vitamin stores and lowering rates of protein synthesis

None of that is a problem if you don't drink a lot. A shot and a beer is not going to hurt you.

Fuck beer, only cider.

probably not noticeably if it's once in a while, but it will have some impact. Do it a 3 times a week and after a few months it'll add up. If you're cutting it'll pile on a fuckload of calories with no nutritional value.
I'm not trying to stop any of you lads from drinking with friends but if you're after dat dere fitness I'd try to limit booze as much as possible

>only cider

You are a gay.

I drank two beers a day for bulking gains and I gained weight and strength fast which was great for me who usually struggles to eat. Eventually I started to become more fat then I wanted so I had to stop and I am on a cut right now.

>If you're cutting it'll pile on a fuckload of calories with no nutritional value.
There is no metabolic pathway to convert alcohol to bodyfat. It's similar to ketones if you cut carbs.

So long as you aren't going and having a steak and chips with the lads and drinking every other night, not a problem. So long as you aren't drinking some sugar water liqueur, shit beer or alcopop that's full of simple carbs you barely even have to take it into account for cico.

I'm in the drinking for bulking phase. on one hand it's great because my lifts are going up and I get to enjoy my nice beer.
on the other hand, I know I'm getting fatter and I don't like that. I'll probably do a 6-8 week cut starting in may

Hvussu gongur OP? Tú ert ein fín genta :)

:(

I think it depends on the person

I gained about 10 pounds of muscle and increased my bench by literally 120lbs my first year of lifting whole beig a bonified alcoholic (literally 7+ drinks every single day).

This was a couple years ago (thank God that is over), but it didn't affect me as much.

Jesus christ. I have to move out of Canada.

Ethanol has been identified as a xenoestrogen and will harm testosterone levels. The hops used in beer is also a xenoestrogen and is being studied for use in hormone replacement therapy for menopausal women. Paradoxically, one or two beers have been shown to increase testosterone levels. Have a beer, but don't make it an IPA.

No. I looked it up. It's fine. It's actually worse to drink the day after instead of right after

I think it has more to do with being your first year of lifting regardless of your alcohol intake.

Yes

Sleep is important for gains and alcohol reduces the quality of sleep and makes wake up earlier. It's fine as long as you drink early enough to not have any alcohol in your blood by the time you're going to bed.

>loosing
IT'S LOSING YOU AUTISTIC FUCK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why are americans so weird about alcohol? In the uk nobody bats an eye at this - it's utterly normal

Maybe that's why we're a world superpower and you're not. Too busy in your pubs and living with your mums.

Drink wine instead.

the average person from the UK looks like a pasty inbred hobgoblin with a potbelly, norwood 5 hairline and stalagmites for teeth

We literally conquered the world while drinking heavily (beer used to be in soldiers and sailors rations)

there's less culture centered around pubs over here.

Stop living in the past

Yeah. We actually have personalities in America. You don't have to get drunk at a pub in order to be likeable.

>tfw sauce will never be found
>tfw no Scandinavian gf

JUST

> w-we have personalities

> proceeds to be insufferable and autistic.

Guess you cucks can't handle the truth

Just FYI, the world does not like Americans as people....

They're gonna love us when they start having to deal with the chinese desu.

have a six pack of bud light as your countries stereotypical moderate drinking session

i have easily more than five friends who drink minimum 700ml of vodka on a night out.

only seven more days.

Sorry can't hear you over all this freedom we have

Legacy of the temperance movement and prohibition. The perfectly normal Anglosphere tradition of popping down to the pub to have a few pints and catch up was destroyed by evangelical Christians and we've never fully recovered. A lot of people grow up with alcohol treated as a taboo instead of a normal part of life so they go crazy when they first get access to it.

Well to be fair, bud light is pretty low ABV, and in the UK they drink 20 oz pints so it's pretty comprable.