Martial Arts for user

I didn't know where to ask so if i posted on a wrong board then move this thread

So i want to start practising some martial arts.

I have to choose between Box and MMA(Mixed Martial Arts, UFC and others you know whats up)
And i don't know which one should i choose.

My goal is to learn how to fight so i can get more confident and not let some random asswipe on the street beat the shit out of me and take my cash or whatever. I also want to get fit but learning how to fight is my priority.

So im asking Veeky Forumsanons who practice some of these martial arts to tell me their pros and cons and overall which one would be better.

Random picrel

Go to boxing for a while before going to MMA

That way you focus on just hand work and moving around

Then when you get advanced (if you get that far) go do MMA where you will learn ground work and take downs.

In nearly any real world situation ground work isn't necessary so hence why I say do boxing first off
Or do Muay Thai if you have the option

I will know when ill get advanced? How much will i have to train?

Also how Muay Thai is different than MMA? I heard those are pretty similiar but Muay Thai is more about striking and has less grappling.

I can practice Muay Thai but gym where they teach MMA and Box is closer to me so id prefer one of these but if Muay Thai is better then i can go for it.

Btw im not going for competitions or tournaments i just want to learn how to fight

In an ideal world, youd want to learn a striking discipline, ground discipline and perhaps a street fighting/fluid discipline.
An example of this would be Muay Thai for striking, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for ground, and Krav Maga (using opponents weight and momentum against them, disarming people and disabling in the minimum amount of time and effort).
There are multiple variations of this, and again its only in an ideal world where you have lots of time and dedication. That said, Muay Thai will give you a very solid fighting base. Boxing less so, but will still teach you to take knocks and fight better than most random punters on the street.

Boxing is your pick mate, first you learn how to throw punches, how to dodge them, how to take them, you pretty much learn a lot of useful stuff in boxing and you get confident as fuck cuz alot of that stuff can be simple done with your bare fists, then you should try with MMA.

MMA cant be that useful for self defence unless people walked in the street shirtless and in a soft ground, but you can still learn cool techniques like take downs, grab spots and other shit.

About Muay Thai is like kick box but with more elbows and calfs , wich hurt a fucking hell without protection, it can be more deadly than box , but is harder as well cuz u gotta train how to hit fast with legs.

relevant.

thinking of starting kickboxing next week? Is it good?

Do Muay Thai then if you are able to. It teaches leg kicks, elbows and clinches (elbows are fucking devastating to get hit with and a leg kick in the ribs or anywhere will really hurt someone if they aren't trained to take those strikes)

Muay Thai will still be a stand up fighting style - that is you won't be grappling on the ground such as you will be taught with MMA as it is mixed martial arts so takes some stuff from many disciplines.

If you want to learn to practically fight do Muay Thai or boxing as striking is what you will primarily do in any real life situation, not much of a use to know how to grapple on the ground really well as chances are you won't encounter that in a street fight.

It's also not how much you train but how you train. You will need sparring experience, not just hitting a punching bag or pads.

And you will also realize fighting shape is nothing like working out in a gym. Fighting shape is the practical shape - not just looking good naked.

Been doing Martial Arts for 10 years, started in Wado Ryu then moved to Kyokushin, Muay Thai, then finally Enshin Karate. My personal opinion is try boxing first. Your gonna go through a crash course on kinetic linking and rhythm and at first it'll be really awkward but because your only learning striking you'll probably learn it fairly quickly. By the time you feel competent with punching you can learn MMA, you'll have to modify your stance but you'll have a head start compared to other new students. Try to shoot for 3 classes a week minimum.

if you wanna do boxing you have to make sure you have a good gym near you.

dont go to a black gym (assuming you're white) they will treat you like shit.

>Kyokushin
>Muay Thai

These two exist in my town, which one do I chose? The goal is to unlearn fear of pain, get fitter and make some new friends. I'm leaning towards MT as it is, but any advice is warmly welcome. My only exercise right now is swimming.

MT by FAR

I think of firstly learning box and when ill feel im good enough i move to learning muay thai instead of MMA

is that a good idea or i should just start with muay thai without fucking around with box?

I will go first with tactical shooting, then room clearing and finally assault rifles. I won't go to assault rifles first because you have to learn the basics of CQC before going foward.

wrong thread or its some metaphor?

if you want to defend yourself, get a gun

But how do i get a gun in a country where guns are illegal?

this

if you are not allowed, the move to non savege country lol

jokes aside, get:

pepper spray
taser gun
kevlar best
very strong flashlight
sand on pocket

if you are adamant to learn h2h for defense, learn krav maga or something made for that.

unarmed combat is your last resort and not the best way to defend yourself

Use plastic gloves and granulated battery acid instead if sand

Go straight to MT
It is much more lethal and uses all limbs so more diversified than straight boxing.

What are you doing now for condition being on Veeky Forums and all

Literally the opposite of this is what you should do. MOST fights last less than 5 minutes and go to the ground in the real world. People go fro grabs and try to tackle each other.

Learn BJJ first so you can deal with someone trying to tackle you. You can get yourself in a good position. THEN learn boxing. Because BJJ teaches "boxing", but boxing classes will fine tune that later. Don't learn boxing first, real life isn't the movies. People swing, flail, then try to throw each other to the ground. Boxing will fine tune your hand work. BJJ and wrestling will give you a good all around base.

literally nothing lol
and thats the problem

i mean i do push ups and others sometimes but nothing else

i didnt train anything for like 3 years so i decided to start training something useful

Well let's see where to start..
Kyokushin is probably the most old school, hard-core form of traditional karate. It was forged as a budo martial art and it takes itself very seriously. It has kata and lots of vocabulary in Japanese that you have to learn. It's primary focus is in enduring a lot of pain and instilling an indomitable spirit.

Muay Thai is very straight forward has no set forms and is very technical in its approach to combat.

Both will be very tough and require maximum effort for maximum results.

Sparring between the two will be different too with kyokushin not allowing punches to the head.

Learn kickboxing then go and learn jiu jitsu

never underestimate boxing

in the last 100 years there has been more innovations in techniques and equipment to win full contact competitions than any other combat sport.

Holding your own and remaining to stand up is more important than knowing what to do on the ground. Stand up you are mobile and can move...think of fights in which there are more than 1 person coming at you...sure know what to do on the ground grappling one person while getting fucking kicked by another.
Learning counters to take downs would also be useful as again you don't want to be stuck on the ground on the street as there is no mobility should you have to move or get out of there quickly.

Bro BBJ = brazilian ju jitsu not BJJ + teaching "boxing" If you did any BJJ or MT you'd know you don't do a little of one in the other and any proper gym would know that as well. I'd rant further but fuck you

Then you need to start training a martial art ASAP as it will take a couple months of regular classes before you have the conditioning to really train hard.

You're dumb as fuck. Go back to watching fisticuffs.

Not underestimated - a good boxer can hold their own and can be very effective. Just saying MT for throwing a placed elbow or kick would destroy an opponent or really mess them up in a street fight.

Yes of course as I am sure you have years of valuable fighting experience thinking that you learn boxing in a BJJ class.

If you're an engineer/other white collar nerd then do BJJ. Find a good gym and the membership fees will weed out most meatheads and you'll be able to train without hindering your work performance

>believes boxing teaches you how to fight multiple attackers

It doesn't take martial arts to understand its time to run if you are up against a group of guys unless you outweigh all of them.

>doesn't know what "" means
KYS

No shit but how are you better to run ? Already standing up or wrestling some fuck on the ground ?

I can show you over a dozen youtube videos right now of people who know basic boxing taking multiple attackers apart.
Will not see a single vid of a white belt in BJJ even holding his own against a larger opponent.

Oh I see what you are saying. Well, if you already took on the challenge to fight a group of guys then running is probably as good as just doing grappling at that point. You aint getting up if 5 guys holding you down while one kicks

I'm sure you can. But on the flip side, there are probably many videos of boxer or even just MMA practitioners who get beat by multiple people. Its all about luck when it comes to who you happen to be fighting. You never know when you are fighting a group of boxers or just average joe drunks.

>underestimating pocket sand

Oh yeah, cause random bands of boxing ne'er do wells just so happen to be out and about causing a ruckus.

Dude, a boxer has a better chance with multiple assailants then a wrestler. This isn't even up for debate. This is a fucking fact.
Even the hardest core BJJ acolyte will tell you that shit. Why? Cause an actual boxer will get in a BJJ guys shit if he says otherwise.

Yeah I agree with its more of the luck of the draw when it comes to a group about how they will fight. Come across a determined group or one with experience then you are most likely fucked.

Yeah you won't see a newbie BJJ person holding their own...because of a lack of experience. BJJ is about leverage when I trained it the person who taught me out weighed me by 70lbs but was about leverage to maximize the hold/grapple effect.

Be a little wary of BJJ, most BJJ places don't teach you to wrestle for shit and pulling guard in a street is a terrible, terrible idea. Plus the conditioning usually sucks. Boxing and wrestling are GOAT for street fighting and both will carry over IMMENSELY well if you want to start doing MMA or BJJ later on.

BJJ is fun as fuck though and you might find the occasional gym that actually spends a healthy amount of time on takedowns. Just try to find a gym that's a little more MMA or self defense oriented.

Also, im assuming you're just worried about the occasional bar fight or high school style throwdown. If you're legitimately worried about your safety head on over to /k/, get a decent carry pistol and learn how to use it because if someone pulls a knife on you all the martial arts in the world mean jack shit.

Knife doesn't win a fight. Styles can teach disarms and using the knife back on the user. Depends what you learn but if someone pulls a knife assume they want to kill you just as if they pulled a gun. As no reason to pull a knife without lethal intent as they are a tool for killing.

yeah some places teach knife disarms but honestly that is an absolute last ditch, worst case scenario type thing. I've done knife disarms through army combatives and HEMA and shit and there's no way I'd trust that shit with my life. Anyone who claims you can reliably disarm someone with a knife is selling something. I trust guns though.

I did knives for a bit, my bro did them a lot more and showed me disarms. I'd work with him and attempt to stab him with a mock knife and I can tell you they work as disarms/reversals.
He learned knives in AUS where that is super popular because no guns to shoot.