Where do you set your stop losses and your profit targets?

Where do you set your stop losses and your profit targets?

I set my stop losses too low and my profit targets too high :(

Stop losses: too high.

Profit target: too high.

Swing trading: 2% + and -
Speculation trading: Sell 25% at 25% gain, 50% at 50% gain, 25% at 75% gain. Stoploss is -8%.

Seems pretty good.

The only bad thing about selling multiple times though is the fact that you have to pay fees each time, as opposed to jut paying fees once

whats your success like?

fees are usually a % of trade so youd be paying the same amount either way...

unless youre on ED or something

For some fucking reason I can't get stops on Bitfinex to work correctly

you should never take more than a -10% loss unless you are certain it'l go back up

begin to sell after 20% gain, in tiny batches

why not all at once?

Not him, but you'll move the market if you do that. Always roll-in and roll-out. The less hourly volume, the less you can buy or sell without causing a reversal.

Not for a small fish like me :(

I have no stop losses and my profit target is around £3million

For some friendly advice: Only trade in markets you can influence. So find some tiny altcoin in a site like CoinExchange where you could potentially buy more than a full day's volume. The reason being is that if the market goes a way you don't want and you're big enough to push the tide, you can keep it moving the direction you want. That also means don't go 100% in, but rather hold a large reserve (50-75%) in case you need to stop a crashdown.

With small amounts of money it's easier to take advantage of swings you can't influence by accident... Sucks when you want to sell but you crash the market doing it

My mesly $2k isn't enough to move some altcoin market even

g̱͇̓̀̈́̓ǫ̩͈̹̙̱͙ͩ̍͌̉̓͜͝d͓̥̖̭̞̗͎̯̊̆ͬ̀͜͞ ̥̺̗͔̱̘̘̾̐͛̽͂̾̂ͧ̀́̚ͅd̴̺̱̜͔̞̗͖̔ͫͬ̂̑ͮą̺̖͎ͯ͆̽m̵̧̘̻̹̱͙͆̐ͦn̨͈̗̜̾ ̶͉̻̩̯̞͎̦ͯ̉̎͒ͮ̕ȳ̴͖̳̥͚̠̫̄͘͝ǫ̪̟̩̩̻͕̞̤̔ͬ̀̾̀̆ͬ͢u̶̸̦̮̫͖͖̥͔̬͉ͭ̾ͤ͒͆͢ ̪͓̒̓ͫ͑̐̊̀͋̈́͘͠p̷̩̻̩̪̻̬̩̐̄ͬ̇̚̚͢͟e̝̤͐̍ͪ͋́͒̽ͧ͟o̧̪̩̰̖̟̝̟̩ͨ̆ͨ̚p̴̝̯ͮ̽̽̍̐̃͞ļ̯͂̿͋͊e̱̹̋̀̐̓ͣ̑̽ͨ̕͞ ̵̸̧̬̺̪͗a̢̛̩̹̝ͬ́̈̂̀̽ͤr̢̛̖̹̈̕e͖͒̂̚ ̴̶͈ͬ͊̇̾̔̎ͅd̺̺͎̉̆͊̒͂̽̎ͣ͡u̥̠̜ͨ͂̈ͪͨ̉̕͞͡ͅm̯̩̰̥̓̑̀͟ḅ̪̥̳̖͒̐͋͝!̶̺̗̰̹͚͖̼͈͌̉͛ͧ̓ͩ ̢͚̖̰͈̯̓̊̕͝I̛̠̼̼͙̤͙͊̉̏̎͒ͣ ͓̹̟̭͎̥̭̜̆͛̇̉͟ḽ̵̞̦̣̦̂̃ͣ̓ͮ̀̑͡ơ̸̩̺ͦ̽̀̀͋͊̈́̕v̮̟ͯ͆͌͛͆̕͡ḛ͚̑̒͝ ̡̧̫̼͇̝͓̺̪̮̗͆͋̑͐̆̒̊i͇̫̗̍͌͢ţ̛̻͕̹̭̫̤̘̘͋̐!̱͖̮͉͓̤̿ͨͤ̃͒͗͘ ̖͍͈̱̣̽̕̕

Missed this, sorry. I roughly double my money every month.

>Poor attempt at tripfagging
>Coma inducing text

Yup, definitely underage.

>̨̤̭͙͖̯̥̗͐ͪͯ́ͅa̟̫̼̰͍ͪ͒͋͟͞c̛̱̼̭̰̳̄͂̚t̴̨͎̪͗̎̂̍ͯͅŭ̧̖̞͈͈̪̯̯̌ͧ͐̚a̷̙̭̦̪̝ͦ͒̕͜l͕̰̭̝͂͐͘l̛͎̩̠ͭ͒ͮ̆̕y̗̹͕̱̟̟ͪ͂̀ͬ͂̐̈̔ ̛͙̖͍̤͕̈́͑͗̇ͫ̀ͅŗ̦͔̘͓͔͂͑̽ͯ̒̋̓ͣͧè̛̼̮͐ͪ́͠s̷͇̱̖̣͆̌̔̏ͯ̓͐p̶̞̮̜̙̽̊͊͗ǫ̳͓͑ͧ͑̌̃̔͐͠ṋ̹͇͙̫̬̰͌͂̔͘d̢̻͇̮̟̯͔̗̜̈ͯ̊͑̔̈ͫ̀̃̕e̴͖͗̒͌ͪ͆͋̆ḏ̶̼͉̠̪̯̜̎̍͝
̭͈̯͙̔ͪ̿͊̚>̯̻̫̺̖́̐͐̋́a̴̘͆̂̋c̢͖̒ͨ͡t̴̖͖̻͚̍ͫ̈́̿ͦ̽͌́͡ͅṷ̗̘͇̋̌̚a̞̙̰̻̻̓ͯͫ̐̈͛ͭ͗l̪̭̳̟̼̟͐͒ͣ̑̆͆̐́̚͟ḷ̹̱̱̤̌́͞y̢̮͍̩̩̭̙̓̒͆ͫ̌̃ͧ́ ̯̂ͪ͂͂͑́t̸̹͇̙͈̯͚̳͍͒̓̽͂ͮͦ͝h͕̞̞̮͙͒̄̆̂͌̎͜i͙̼͉̘̽͗͌͆͜ņ͍̝̺̦̠̬͎̽̀ͮ̀͜k̸̳̘̝ͪ͗́͟ ̙̜̜̠̻͉ͬ̎̔̏̾̒I̗̜̱̞̦͙ͩ̉̇̿̚̚ ̝͖̑ͯ͐c̡̥̤̹͕͙̘̿̃̆͞a̩̘͈̯͓͉̓͒̉̔͑ͅr̴̸ͨͦ̽̈́́e̪͓̯̟͓̯ͯͩ͆͒́̃̚͝
̛͓̝͍͔̳̄̓̒ͪ
̪̩̄ͧ͑ͩ̎̈́ͤ̊̒y̧̪̱̙̰̜͙̮̤̔͆͂͒ͧ̄͝ų͎̣͍̜̉̍̽̾p̥̫͉̰ͮͫ,̷͔̯ͦ͐ͯ͑̃ ̢̢̫̯͉̙̪̦ͪ̓̍̀ḑ̶̣͇̰̞̙͔̏̆̃̂̿̊̐̿͛e͓͎͓͓̪̙̦̦ͤͪ́̐ͦ͢f̵̝͓̝͉̠̣ͯ̒̇̾͂̆ͣ̈͒͢͜i̵̷̺̥̞͙̱̯̋͋ͩ̌ń̬̙̙͇͛̌̈́̾ͩ̓i͉͚̰̗̱̖͍͙̾͂̚ͅť̬̠̳̻̤͛e̸̼̞̫̞͚̣͊͌ͣ̓̑͞l̤̹̮̪̯͖͚̃͑ͪͪ̄̀͞ͅỳ̴͖̮ͤ͆͌͞ ̪͍̥̭͊ͣ͛ͭ͞r̶̮͎̜̩̫̫ͬͯ͡ė̵̤͍̠͕̼̮͝t̷͚͇̯̪̠̙̑ͯͤ̾́ä̢̭̻͉͉̩̜́̊ͭ͡r̜̺̰̮̤̗̯̓̏ͤ̿̉ͅḍ̸̜͉ͯ̔̓̓̀̔ͪ͜͡e̙̘͙̹̳̙̥ͣͩ̈ͪ̓̉ͭ̓̐ď̫̖̹͇̤̯͚̉͂ͩ̕

wew u r wan rly kul kid.
He doesn't care guise XDXDXD.

curious is this just what you developed through experience, or is this standard? any good books/sites explaining these types of strategy in more detail?

assuming you're talking about crypto isn't 8% stoploss kind of low with how swingy some speculative altcoins are? some stuff moves +/-10% several times a day, seems odd you'd want to sell off at 8% in that kind of market when you might wake up after a short nap to have seen that it dipped say 13% only to reverse and gain 30% an hour later.

But I'm a noob and have no idea really, just my initial feeling on this sort of thing.

I agree

But then again, this guy also has a fairly low stop loss at 10%

This is where you pick your entry point based on TA and/or news. Stop loss should be placed at where you're confident it will go lower if it hits your stop.

lol fucking newfag

ah ok that does make sense, thanks

Stop loss above resistance or I move it up while profits rise to lock profits.

>Profit Targets
Never
>Stop losses
Never

In case you haven't guessed, I've lost my next three months' salary this week

I feel you brother

Usually targets depend on the coin but I only really go in on trades Im comfy on long term (JUSTd by LINK AMA), in Forex my SL:TP is usually 1:5 - 1:8 but cryptos are so batshit insane I have no idea where to set them here

I've had literally precisely one (1) good experience with stop losses

It feels like literally every time I set a stop loss the instrument dips just enough to wipe it out then immediately retraces back to where i'd be at a profit

Easy mistake to make. When setting stops you have to consider the key point of resistance - and then place your stop below that point the distance you think it will move once those stops get hit. Also a good idea to increment your buy-ins so you can pick up a couple extra on the cheap at that level.

Say a coin has strong resistance at 500 sats and a fairly low volume, you'd put your stop loss at 493 or somewhere around that mark.

>When setting stops you have to consider the key point of resistance
I've tried this and always manage to fuck it up, I tend to daytrade ETH and any points of resistance I can identify always seem to get immediately broken before retracing and settling at the point and it fucks me over every time

I'd be more careful but that seems to just equate to trading less

noooope
you will miss moon missions , always keep 20% without limit, there are still rare mooning coins sometimes

No stop losses! Buy high, sell low is our motto.

Yeah, cryptos are a market that dont really adhere to standard behaviours found in stocks and FX so its a tough nut to crack. I'm still pretty new to the market so I dont have any real thorough advice, but diversification in swing trading is still a good idea, going "all in on a coin you actually believe in" is a bit of a meme but so is thorough diversity in this market, so maybe follow 3-4 coins closely if you're doing this for a serious source of income. Sorry I dont have any real help to offer brother, godspeed

I'm scared almost as scared as stop loss that sell just at a little dip before it moon as I'm scared of bagholding and be at a loss of 30% or more...

Whats your blockfolio like right now?