Bicycling

i ride a bicycle everywhere. it is my only mode of transportation other than walking

i am terrified of getting hit by a car. i live in america, almost no one bicycles past the age of like 16. motorists seem to go out of their way to fuck with me, ie driving really close as they pass etc.

do any of you guys cycle a lot? i'm hoping some dutchfags or somebody from a country similar to that can give me some advice. how do you stay safe (srs)

>>> /n/

i didn't even know that board existed. thanks m8

I ride a trackbike everywhere too user

After you've rode in the streets a few times the fear will start to disappear, or at least it did for me

don't worry about the assholes on the road either. They're gonna be there if you're driving a car or riding a bike

Just stay aware of whats around you at all times and ride safe

i was looking for it earlier, i forgot as well.

dutchfag here
we stay safe because we have seperated bicycle lanes. like, fully separated.
That being said, there are plenty of roads that don't have that. I just stay to the right, look over my shoulder a lot. You are not a car, so your place on the road is on the fucking side. Again, for every lateral movement you make, look over your shoulder. Always give priority to cars driving in the same direction as you. Otherwise, preempt like you normally would, but be cautious for cars not seeing you/not willing to brake.

>we stay safe because we have seperated bicycle lanes. like, fully separated.
jelly as fuck desu

Don't give advice to people outside the Netherlands

Like I said, there are plenty of roads where that isn't the case. I also found that rocking full biker gear and riding a sports bike is like a red cloth to motorists. It screams "I don't give a fuck about other road users". Casual cycling is the way to go

all of his advice seemed sound and universally applicable to cyclists regardless of country

post your bikes Veeky Forums

>tfw you live in a 3° world country where you could get robbed or get hit by a car

some old piece of shit that looks somewhat like this
it has 2 wheels so it suffices

Fellow tracky here. op, just be confident in your motions and try and think a few moves in advance.

Poland?

Will cycling give me forearm veins like this?

Chile

Yes

brazilfag here. i know the feeling bro.

but fear not. ride smart, use a helmet and carry a knife, you should be safe.

Poland was in Warsow pact so it is second world country you stupid fuck
>american education

2nd world country is not a valid term, faggot

first world or third world, there is no inbetween

Pick up a fucking book. 2nd world is a valid term for former soviet states

t. shitter shattered yuropoor that can't accept he lives in a third world country

I'm dutch actually

>nethercucks
>not 3rd world
my sides!

>points out you're wrong and a retard
>"I'll call him a cuck!"

somebody stole mine

don't listen to this faggot

ride in the middle of one of the road lanes, wear extremely bright colours, and make a lot of presence on the road

cyclists die because they can't be seen

another assblasted yuropoor lmao

Dont lidt to this guy either. This is the stuff that will piss of most cardrivers. Yes you can opt to ride in the middle of the road in some situations where you deem it not safe, like a short hill where the drivers can't see ahead but otherwise stay on the side. The only thing you get riding in the middle is a car close up your ass reving his engine.

30-45 miles a day here, the fear goes away. It's also really city dependant about how cars act around you. I work as bike messenger/delivery boy man and as long as you're moving and not actively fucking cars days up most people will leave you alone.

SF/LA is like, just do your thing and stay out of people's way
Portland is fucking send it and do whatever because everyone is a massive pussy
Texas is southern manners vs wanting to kill you because you don't pay road tax or some shit /pol came up with.

NZ here, only time I would ever aggravate drivers like this is places like narrow bridges where there really is nowhere to pass and you dont want them to try.

>how to stay safe while riding

ride predictably, be assertive, own your place in the lane, and be aware of your surroundings. I've been riding/commuting for about 3-4 years now and i've never been hit by a car, although i did have some cunt squeal her tires at me at a stop sign and try to hit me. should have called the cops on her but i had to get to work and the bitch wasn't worth the time (im still a lil salty about this)

Eventually though, you need to accept that someday you probably will get hit by a car. once you realize this then you can ride with a little more freedom/confidence.

>Sound advise
Riding on the edge of the road is not sound advise unless you live somewhere where drivers are competent
That'll get you sideswiped or hooked by turning cars in most of the world
Be visible, run good lights at all times, take the lane unless there's enough space in the shoulder for you and 3 feet of space from passing cars
If someone honks at you or anything like that, catch them at the next light and key their car

Cycling in the Netherlands is a thousand times different than cycling anywhere else. It looks like he's become so used to giving way to cars and riding in their designated bike lanes that he just folds at the first sign of a larger vehicle. Not saying that's a bad thing but that's not really a good attitude to have if you're somewhere that doesn't have that kind of infrastructure.

If you have to do most of your riding around cars, behave like a car. When in rome, and all. Legally cars have to/should be passing you with 3 feet of space, so i like to ride about that far from the curb so i get a solid 5-6 feet of space in which to maneuver, avoid road hazards, etc.

>tfw live in the midwest so im hardly ever close enough to cars after they honk to key them

i just laugh and give them the finger

I work as a courier in NYC, deliver often times 12 hours a day in the city full of hectic traffic, taxi drivers passing reds, pedestrians constantly just popping up onto you, other cyclists being assholes, cracked roads, etc.

Constantly be aware of your surroundings and where you wanna go. Have disc brakes on your bike to stop quicker (preferably hydraulic), buy a bright coat to stand out, ALWAYS have lights on your bike at night, and in general try to make your presence known and stay out of the middle of traffic when it's going fast and you can't keep up with the cars. Ride to the side but not too close to the curb because 1. You're giving yourself too little distance to maneuver in case of an emergency, and 2. That's where all the glass and gravel and shit pile up, and you are far more likely to get a flat from.

Most of all just don't be a pussy when you ride, if you fall and it was your fault learn from your mistakes. It is so rare for a car to straight up slam into a biker unless the biker fucked up in some way (turning with him, being in the car's blind spot, going the wrong way or going over red's, etc.) You have way more maneuverability and way less size than a car, be able dodge your surroundings and maintain distance when you feel a car is close enough where a sudden turn would hit you.

>do any of you guys cycle a lot? i'm hoping some dutchfags or somebody from a country similar to that can give me some advice
I bike a lot. Don't listen to any advice from foreigners, it's just not applicable to biking in the U.S.

I live near Chicago, I've biked extensively in the city and the burbs. Here are some tips to keep you safe out there.
>IN THE CITY:
Look up a guide, desu, cuz I can't recall all the advice exactly. Try to stick to routes with bike lanes, the more liberal cities will have more bike-lanes, Chicago added a ton over the past decade.
#1 thing is to avoid getting doored, that's when a parked car opens their door and you run into it, this will likely send you into traffic to your death. There are some tricks but it's never 100% so always pay attention.
>IN THE SUBURBS:
Get a mountain bike and bike on the sidewalks. It's a misdemeanor in most towns but I always ignore it, I've never been called out on it but if a cop says anything I'll just argue that the law isn't safe for me and eat the ticket if I have to.
Suburban roads are usually wide enough that you can hug the curb and not have to worry about cars hitting you, 99% of people in the suburbs will slow down and give literally 8 feet of room when passing you. However if you come up on them because they're stopped, they WILL NOT see you.
>RURAL: Just don't. Ever.
>IN GENERAL:
Don't even fucking ride your bike outside of a designated bike path that prohibits vehicles. People in the city are kinda OK about looking for bikes, it helps that you'll be going the same speed as them often. People in the suburbs will 100% NEVER look for a bike. The responsibility is on you to be safe.
Signal by pointing left or right with your left or right arm, respectively. Don't do the left-arm crooked/straight thing, people won't get that. They WILL understand you pointing with your entire arm.

P.S. The law in America (at least in Illinois) is that bicycles are EXACTLY THE SAME AS CARS. Now, this law is pretty fucking retarded but that's how things work. You must obey traffic signals, signs, etc. as if you were driving a car. You must yield to pedestrians, etc. etc. You're gonna want to roll stop signs on a bike, but be damned careful about it because if you get hit it will legally be your own fault.

There's some other decent advice in this thread. Use lights at night, it's usually the law. Don't get fucking blinker lights or I will personally run you down myself. Wear a reflective vest. Get a decent lock, remove the bicycle seat & back wheel when you lock if your bike allows.

>remove back wheel

don't you mean front wheel? I've never seen someone remove the rear wheel when locking up a bike

some people use a pool noodle to force people to pass in the required distance.
other then that wear high visibility stuff
loud car style horn might help if people missed you and start to drive into you.

autist method: go full mimicry and dress like bicycle police

>pool noodle below windshield FOV
notquiteright.jpg

how much did that cost you?

i got it for $200 but it was marked originally at $350-$400

plus like $60 for the handlebars, but i'd had those lying around for a while

does anyone know anything about testis pain. Im riding bicycle for about 5 years. Ever since this year started after almost every session of riding im having testicle pain. Pain is the same as being kicked in nuts. Anybody knows what should i do. Should i resume driving or find some other form of cardio?

have you been using the same saddle the whole time? It might be time to get a new one if you do enough riding to where it might be wearing out. look for one with a cut out like pic related. It helps take pressure off of your perineum and avoids a lot of the kind of pain you're experiencing

otherwise get some cycling shorts if you don't already have them

thanks for the advice

I've been biking everywhere lately to repair my hips and core from an injury. You guys have any tips for form and maximizing the workout? youtube dindu shit for me

>driving really close as they pass etc
It's the exact opposite here. Here I am riding on te shoulder, and everyone will go completely onto the other side of the road to avoid me. I find it hilarious.

riding a bike is asking to get sideswipped and lose all your gains.

>I'm afraid of a little bit of cardio, so I'll utilize a situation that very rarely happens except in cases of asshole drivers
Why not just admit that you still believe cardio ruins gains despite all the evidence that it enhances gains?