Can we talk about The Overhead Press?

Can we talk about The Overhead Press?

I'll start it off: My current sticking point is right in the middle of the ROM, just as my humerus (bicep bone) goes horizontal. My back starts leaning and arching backwards, and the lift loses momentum and becomes a grind.

Should I be doing any accessory work? If so, what? Why is my lift stalling at this point, and which muscle is the weak link to be causing this sticking point?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
instagram.com/p/BRe1ENhAQ3O/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is your height, weight, and 1RM OHP? How many days a week do you train the OHP, and how do you train it?

Big breath

Flex abs

Squeeze butt

Decrease weight and work back up, add 5 pounds every two weeks

Try to visualize pushing the bar behind you, not just up, and push your head and chest forward so the bar is directly above you.

6 foot (182cm), 79kg (174 pounds), I'm failing form around the 37.5-40kg mark (82.5-88lbs) on Stronglifts 5x5. Only been lifting for 6 weeks now (had a 3 month stint a year ago but in retrospect I was just fucking around with awful form, even if the weights kept going up on various lifts).

3 Days a week, alternating AxB between the OHP and Bench Press.

Training with a barbell, of course.

not OP but is your grip really supposed to be that wide for OHP?

>79kg
>fails at 40kg 5x5

I call bullshit on that. I am a skinny ass 64kg fuck lifting for one week and i tried 30kg at my first OHP for 5x5 too. I didnt feel shit and i think about upping weight to 40.

I believe you mean...
>...The Press™

No, that's a pretty wide grip. His triceps aren't resting on his lats.

Thumbs should be JUST outside of shoulders. It's as organic as the bench press where it's 'about' a hand's length out of where the knurling stops on an Olympic bar. Of course, if you have unusually long/short bones somewhere, you'll need to change your form, but these are uncommon. You just have to analyse yourself, see a professional (not a fucking PT), and see for yourself. Keep thinking, learning, applying, and adjusting.

I'm not saying I can't do it muscle-wise, I'm saying I'm failing on it form-wise.

How tall are you?

Do you have a vid of your form?

I didnt record myself but i am 5'7-5'8.
I felt stable with the bar and it didnt wobble a bit so i think my form was decent

No, that's too wide.

You're piss weak and just need to press more. You don't need magic exercises. You need to get stronger. You do that by doing a shit load of presses.

Also, your form is probably garbage. Watch this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

I've just recently gotten over my own OHP plateau, been tweaking my form for awhile but finally everything clicked.
Heres what helped me:
1. flex your glutes and quads, you want these sore after a set. If these aren't rigid as fuck you're leaking power
1a. Also brace your core hard, duh
2. Don't lean back, instead push your hips forward (goes hand in hand with flexing your glutes). Arch your upper back slightly to start but don't lean back to get it over head, lean your head back and then push your head forward hard as soon as the bar clears it
3. Tweak your grip width. Play around with different widths, most videos I watched online featured guys using a much larger width than was optimal for me. Just outside your shoulders is whats recommended but obviously everyone's anatomy is slightly different so see what feels right. The width in your pic is way too wide.
4. Hand in hand with grip width is using your lats. You want to really flare your lats and rest your arms snug against them from the starting position.
5. Pull the bar apart, like you're trying to bend the ends towards the floor. I'd heard this cue so many times but it never really clicked for me until recently. This is to keep your back tight, lats activated, but more importantly to keep your shoulders in external rotation. You want your elbows directly under the bar vertically for the whole press, if they flare out too wide you're leaking power. This added 10 lbs to my press the first time I finally understood it.
Those are the things I keep in my head the most but it's far from comprehensive, good luck!

Thanks dude, wrote this down

What's a professional if not a PT? Asking so that I will know.

Your form must be absolutely horrible. I'm 69kg and OHP 48kg

Since you're doing SL, consider adding dips if you haven't already. They will do wonders to your presses.

In all else I agree with other anons; just lift more. Keep it regular, don't give up and remember to eat and sleep well. You're going to make it.

See pic related; that single image really fixed my form.

I press 2pl8 and have the same sticking point

Literally no idea how I passed it, just pressed a fucking shitload

TIL OHP works lats... No wonder I couldn't do as many pull ups afterwards

>lmao3pl8 OHP

Horror stories.

PTs are not medically nor sports science trained. They're fitness industry salesmen designed to keep you coming back for more, in various ways.

I've heard a lot of wacky snake-oil shit from PRs, but the latest one was keeping your toes pointed forward during a squat. Fucking what.

>but the latest one was keeping your toes pointed forward during a squat. Fucking what.

WHAT, you're not supposed to do that!?

Yeah I heard this shit as well.

You're supposed to have your legs and feet ina natural position shoulder width or slightly wider apart. If you try to squat with your toes pointing forwards, you'll either keel forwards or backwards.

If you walk, you'll notice your toes don't point forwards, they angle out slightly. This is a natural movement.

Takes practice, bring your weights down and practice the form. You probably have hard time tensing your quadriceps,glutes and core at the same time

The problem is simply that you are doing 5x5.

There is no way you are going to progress doing 5x5 on the OHP past the first few attempts. Compared to the bench/squat/deadlift, the OHP uses much smaller muscles to do the work, hence they tire out much faster.

Drop to a 3x5 or even a 1x5 top set. Of course, this is assuming you aren't specifically focused on hypertrophy, but you should still build mass.

thanks m8, posts like this are what keeps me coming back here

to add to this anons post most guys i know who have strong OHPs (and mine which isn't as strong but still above average) all do fairly 'low' volume with OHP, maybe 3x5 working sets at most BUT have a day dedicated to shoulders. if you want good shoulders it is all about volume, but total volume over several compounds and accessories hitting all the main muscle groups. if you have time to be doing shoulders and chest or shoulders and back and legs or something all on the same day then chances are that's not nearly enough volume.

I'd suggest decreasing weight and increasing volume. Volume is your friend on OHP. I do sets of 12, 10, 8 or 6 depending on where in my program I am and it keeps you making gains. If you're doing the usual SS thing of trying to grind out sets of 5 all the time you're just going to be banging your head against the wall.

Other than that a stronger kinetic chain is the best thing to work on. That means everything right done to the ground. A stronger core, stronger legs and stronger shoulders and arms. To get them stronger you need to be doing well on progressing your squats, DLs, pull ups/chin ups, rows etc. Squeeze your ass like someone is trying to rape you when doing OHP, brace your core like a motherfucker and you should be good to go. Once it's heavy enough you'll feel it right down to you quads.

Add dp shoulder presses and landmine presses to your shoulder day

I squat 200kg at 80kg with my feet pointed straight forward. Most people cannot achieve this due to poor ankle flexibility. If your anatomy wants you to do feet straight ahead then fuck what anyone says.

OHP works basically everything right down to your quads. There's a reason it's probably the hardest lift. I'm far more impressed by someone with a solid, heavy OHP than I am by some with a big DL.

lol let's get a vid of your quarter squat, pls user

DIPS

Posts like that are the ONLY reason I spend time here.

Seated barbell OHP helped me get through a plateau.

Also when standing make sure you keep your head static and looking forward, as well as getting the bar as close as possible to your chin when pushing up.

Strongly agree. The whole B routine in SL is especially broken in this sense. After few weeks of progression doing 5x5 squats, then 5x5 OHP and still having some ammo for deads is simply too much for some beginners.

>Can we talk about The Overhead Press?

no we can't.

I started OHP just a few months ago, though irregularly did Arnold Presses before with light dumbbells

Already up to 60kg and loving this lift.

Couple questions:
My lat raises are only at 12kg- is this small compared to a 60kg OHP? Is there even a general ratio?
My rear delts are supremely undersized compared to my front so I added face pulls and reverse flyes. I can face pull 40kg+ but only reverse fly 8kg, what the fuck?
Is reverse flye better on bench/bent over, or on cables? I look like a retard in a spiderweb when I do them with cables.

What are some good accessories for OHP? Currently benching just over 100kg and doing Lat Pull downs at 66kg.

6"2 and 88kg. My 3x6 is 50kg. But I am ok with it.

>I'm weak therefore so is everyone else.

If my advice was bad then i could understand your insecure assumptions.

>2. Don't lean back, instead push your hips forward (goes hand in hand with flexing your glutes). Arch your upper back slightly to start but don't lean back to get it over head, lean your head back and then push your head forward hard as soon as the bar clears it
Golden underrated advice, particularly with people with shit posture from sitting on a computer all day, much obliged

>4. Hand in hand with grip width is using your lats. You want to really flare your lats and rest your arms snug against them from the starting position.
Visible in the 3rd tip in the video above you and grip width- keep your elbows flared at less than 45 degrees throughout the motion, this way your lats are always engaged without thinking about it

5 also goes in with this.

isn't this dude's form wrong? aren't you supposed to bend your wrists back, like in front squats?

His grip is too wide and elbows probably too flared out during movement
Though his lats are possibly large enough that it works for him

OHP 90kg and lat raise 8kgs

lat raises don't matter about the weight, I can grind up 18kg's but it's pointless

Why the fuck would you bend your wrists back

How are you supposed to move heavy weights with limp-ass wrists?

He means pushing elbows out forward, thus creating a small but manageable lever-arm at the wrist, which is actually desired but managed by proper placement of bar over the base of your hand

Bit late for that, faggot.

>5'7-5'8
>64kg
>skinny

No you're not skinny bro

I'm at the gym now and just did 70kg for 8 reps yay

When I first started gym, I admired people who squat and deadlifted heavy. But now I have opened my eyes, ohp is GOAT, it feels great to do heavy ohp. Like cool you can sit with a heavy weight on your back and stand back up, you can pull a fuckton of weight from the floor, but nothing will beat just straight up lifting a weight up above your head.

Conugraturashiunu, anonu

Accessories

>Banded OHP
>Behind the neck press

Also, CONSIDER widening your grip. I'd have to see a video to know for sure, but this shot me up a lot on OHP.

Also, I see that you're stalling on 5*5 at half your bodyweight.

Consider doing concurrent, or even jumping to a 20rep max and going up from there.

instagram.com/p/BRe1ENhAQ3O/

I just did a 125 for 5 reps. Im so close to 135. Congrats user.

>h-homegym m-masterrace

I feel like I push the bar out infront of me, is this because my grip is too narrow?

I walk all the way to the bathroom for the rest of my sets so that I can see myself in the mirror. I still prefer a home gym though

Correct.

> widening your grip

Bingo. Most kids hear narrow your grip, and they're turning it into the press version of a close grip bench. You're nowt being asked to do a snatch grip width press either, just one that lets you use as much muscle & power for your body.

Curious bit is that my normal grip width for bench and press are the near the same, with pinky just touching the ring. For bench I can go wider, but this is what's easiest on the shoulder while putting the most weight on the bar. Likewise, for press this feels the tightest at the bottom this giving me the best acceleration off the bottom.

Other points. Complete fucking tension. Dig your feet into the floor just like a DL. Switch the reps up, but 20 is a bit much IMO. For me it was heavier weights. You have to learn to be stable, and once you get that each rep counts much more. I'm a big fan of low rest, low rep pyramids for getting a lost of recoverable volume in a short time. Ignoring a decent run of 8-12 reps sets once in a while is just taking gains off the table

You have to do both high and low reps. I find that most people neglect high rep work.

I switched to high reps after I stalled at higher reps, and
I'll phase back to lower reps once I stall.

Adding to that:

I've been doing stuff for quite a while with a high set/low rep scheme + some high rep work at the end. Takes less than an hour per workout, and is pretty volume dense.

Now originally i was just doing my higher rep stuff at a lower weight. Felt good, but it was like getting your ass kicked again just after you got you ass kicked.

Then I moved to a variation with even higher reps, in the 12-15 for 3-4 sets. Everything was selected to either teach better tension in the main lift or to hit from an angle (and learn how to apply strength/stability elsewhere).

Then I tried bodyweight for a while as the accessory. Got myself in the 15-25 rep range. This felt so good flushing the joints & muscle at first. That didn't last.

To me high rep work is more ballbuster than anything if you weight it heavy enough. That's only good if you're young enough to have that not kill your joints for the short term. Else you get what I do, which is part hypertrophy & part cooldown

Make sure you don't grip it too tightly, thus pushing ' inwards' in a way. If you are able to push a bit outwards, this' ll tremendously increase power and stability.

go try 40, bet ur gonna struggle
30 is an entirely different thing than 40kg when pressing over head.

6'2" and 1rm (actual not e stat garbage) is 190 lbs. Have the same problem as OP, thoughts?

train abs and learn how to maintain position. try abdominal bracng to increase trunk presure and stiffnes of the trunk.

If you're having trouble with lockout that means the long head of your triceps are failing.

Tbh, when gurus tell you to take a narrow grip most lifters go TOO narrow.

Consider doing just a bit wider.

Two accessories
>Behind the neck press
>Skull crushers
>Ab wheel rollouts/weighted hyper extensions/weighted planks

Behind the neck for your lateral delts (which aren't your bottleneck yet, but soon will be)

Skull crushers for your current bottleneck of triceps.

The rollouts, hyperextensions, and weighted planks are recommended because they make the lower back strong. You'll need this to both prevent you from cheating and to make you safer when you inevitably do.

Although, I found that a slightly wider grip made locking out less of a problem. You'll also find that you're really flaring your elbows if your grip is too narrow. That's hard on your wrists and will make you lean back a lot.
Other cues
>Brace core
>Squeeze glutes
>Rest triceps on your flexed lats (you should be able to see your serratus anterior flexing)