Is a 30 minute 5k any good for a 90 kg 6'1 ft person?

Is a 30 minute 5k any good for a 90 kg 6'1 ft person?

I find it super hard to improve and every 5k feels like death when I approach the "finish line"

I started 5k running back in July with my first attempt being 44 minutes. Realizing back then how bad I was was what got me started into running and later on weight lifting

My PR was 28 minutes and 48 seconds. I remember that day very well. Everything was set for me to break my PR. I was determined to go below 30 minutes. In the last 6 minutes I put the following video on full volume: youtu.be/hV63DbQ_qSc

I could never go below 29 minutes ever since.

Slow as fuck desu m8

It's not good. It's what I run. It is great compared to 90 percent of people but it will be extremely slow by runners speed. Sucks too because it feels like it took so long to hit this milestone. O well more ya run hopefully faster we will get

30 minutes is very slow. It's not a walk (being able to jog 3 miles, at any speed, automatically puts you ahead of most people) but it's pretty bad for someone who runs regularly. I would say most people who do any kind of serious running can do it in at least 24 minutes.

you get better at running by... running.

You've done this for months now, so where is your sticking point? At what point in the run do you feel weakest, is it a form efficiency issue, do you have cardio/breath problems, are you striking with your heel and getting tired from the impact, are you simply not giving your muscles enough time to rest, is it a question of pacing, do you need to develop more strength and endurance with supplementary work like wind sprints, swimming, squatting.

It could be a dozen things man, maybe your shoes are too tight? maybe you're simply carrying too much weight for a good time. Distance runners tend to be twigs for a reason, 5km is pretty intermediate distance, but it's not like you're sprinting 100m or 400m.

The best way to improve your time is to be methodical. Run and time yourself running 1km at top speed, just go full out.

Multiply that number by 5 and shoot for that to be your 5km goal, you will get better by running that 1km over and over. Run 1.1km, then 1.2km, keep going up until you can find a faster pace. Sticking points are there to remind you to always change what you do and try new things.

normie god, DYER for runners

I think the problem with me is that ever since I started weight lifting, I kind of neglected my cardio. I used to be very consistent.

I can run a 1km in 5 minutes, it would be amazing to maintain that pace for 5km. Thanks for the insights.

How is your form? You're on the big side for running so you might want to really look at your mechanics. Slight inefficiencies can compound as you go.

Most men can hit 24 minutes without even making running a top priority.

It's way harder to run and lift. Running wrecks my legs so I can only go once week at best on the double off days of ss. Legs either sore from running squatting or work. These niggas stay sore

Basically anything over a 20 minute 5k is slow.

No idea what they're talking about.

29min isn't considererd fast, but 90kg is heavy for a runner. If you drop some weight you will get faster. Also think about how many lardasses aren't even able to run 5k.
So this time is ok, but you can go (much) faster if you stick to running and lose weight.

Since all the runner seem to be dickwaving braggarts.

1k: 2:58
5k: 19:20
10k: 42:34 (lol)

5k in 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week will be okay for general cardiovascular health, but if you want to get faster you need to run more often.

I started running in October and couldn't even run a mile without stopping.

I can now run 5k in just under 24 minutes and a did a 12 miler today averaging 10:12 per mile.

You just need to put the miles in and you'll get faster. Aim to reach 20 miles of running per week at a nice and easy pace.

Forgot to add i weigh 100kg

nice, how often do you run? how is your schedule?

I've been working on my foot strike, trying to get myself into a habit of forefoot striking rather than heel striking.

I can't help but wonder, why are the heels on running shoes so big if you're hardly supposed to let your heel hit the ground? It seems counterproductive.

I'm loling at the 5k time faggot lol

I weigh 54 kg and I can run faster than you

Yeah because youre a twig with legs. At 54kg you must be going like greased lightning.

Im 80kg and run a 24:20 5k, Id never run one before friday. Did used to be a sprinter though.

yeah I aspire to put on like 5 kg in muscle and leave it at that. I also want to try sprinting after I get a strong base in longer distances! my goal is to be competative in the 400m

Because we have strayed so far from how we used to naturally run, i.e barefoot.
Go to a park, find a big expanse of grass, take your shoes off and run around it. Youll naturally strike with your forefoot. I find a good way to make sure is to focus on my big toes and make sure im rolling off my forefoot onto my toes.

Either that or practice 'marathon' striding, basically taking very very small steps while jogging. At first youll feel like youre spinning your wheels Wiley Coyote style, but youll start landing on your forefoot, and more importantly, landing with your foot directly under your body. This reduces any impact jolting up your leg if it strikes in front of you, and striking in front of your body also actually acts as decceleration, thus you have to work harder every step to maintain speed. It also doesnt do your joints any favours.

It is slow, but you're way ahead of me. I'm jealous of you.

Enjoy being a skinny weak little twink, hope you realise nobody cares about your running times

Fair enough, 400m is very admirable because its technically still a sprint, albeit 4 times longer than most. I stayed on 100s & 200s cus I have good acceleration but my speed would peter out after a couple hundred metres if not sooner.

Oddly enough my long distance improved after I did sprints. I normally do 12 sprints of 50-100 metres with a few minutes of very slow jogging in between, then a slow half mile jog at the end. It was after doing that once that I ran that 24 minute 5k, and ironically enough, I ran just a tad slower per mile than I do when im trying to run 1.5 miles at best pace.
So yeah if you want to increase overall running base, a long slow jog (5k+), short distance run (1.5-2 miles) and sprint session per week is a great routine to start off with. Im not at the point of being able to run every day, but my calves get better with every run as do my lungs, they burn less and less.

Also, cycling on an exercise bike is a great way to do cardio and build muscle with minimal stress on your joints. If you keep up the cardio as you put on weight you should be golden. Best of luck to you man.

I used to run college xc while lifting. I was 170 lbs which is about 78 kg. My fastest 8k at that weight was just under 27 minutes. If you want to get faster you have to train properly which I'm guessing you aren't unless you were on a running team at some point. It would definitely be easier to be fast at a lower weight. Also you can't train legs in the weight room and expect to get much faster at running beyond a certain point. I remember my coach was mad when I told him I hit legs before practice

>10 minute pace
wew lad
>you weigh 100kg
oh

I think your over estimating how out of shape most people are. Or underestimate yourself. 10 mins mile is very slow but it's still way better than probably 90 percent of people.

> 8k in 27 minutes

So whats that, like 3:20 per kilometre on average? Pretty dece mang, especially at 78kg

we would do our long runs at 7:20 pace usually. a quick run would be more like 6:30 and recovery would be at least 7:30 but really short, like 5 miles

I'm sub 17 in the 5k rn ^^
last 400m was 58s inside of a 4x400

you are me in high school, but I'm guessing you don't do the 1600? coach would put us tired distance runners into the shittiest 4x400 ever but I could still run a decent stand alone 400

Damn, thats pretty good. If youre gunna go for sprinting more then work on explosive power, a really good one for that is tractor tire flips and sprinting dragging a weight cart if you have access to those. If not then explosive squats, front squats, bar lunges and box jumps will all do you good for sprinting.

Why Friday?

Because my legs were still aching from a sprint session a few days before, I told myself I was being lazy and should get out and run, and somehow ran my farthest and best time so far. Im training for the army so I mostly do bodyweight exercises, circuit training and short runs around 2-2.5 miles but just decided to go for it.

>19:20 5k

Dude, at least have a 5k that wouldn't get you laughed off a highschool cross country team before talking shit lmao

i have your exact stats and I ran a 25 minute 5k when I was closer to 180lbs while I was in basic training. I wasn't really running for time either. it sounds like weight might be the problem. I am running 5k's in about the same time as you, and i have ran pretty consistently since november and can't seem to break faster either. lose some more weight and then try.

My 5k pr in HS X/C was 17:30, now I don't run anymore and can hit around 22:00 (I lift a lot and jumprope for cardio, am on my feet all day at my job).

If you consider yourself a runner, 30min is slow as fuck to be honest. If you're just running casually to stay in shape, I'd say you're fine though.

My tip for getting that time down is to incorporate some X/C and track workouts into your routine: namely fartleks and hills. Also, ALWAYS increase your speed over the course of your casual runs until you are ending in a sprint!

I'm a 6ft 200 lb adult male who runs a 19-20 min 3 mile depending on the course. I lift on basically a brosplit but I also do a lot of cardio including swimming and rowing (to prevent overuse injury from running and rucking)

What really improved my time was incorporating sprint drills (top speed drills) and HIIT. I used to just do insanely long distances thinking it would help but all it does is kills gains and makes you better at long distance, which a 5k doesn't qualify as.

So yeah, if you're looking to improve your 5k do intervals and sprint drills and maybe one endurance run per week. And if you lift as well make sure you're eating a shit ton of food otherwise you'll lose gains.