Could Stoicism cure depression?

Could Stoicism cure depression?

Yes? It depends on the reason for the depression. There are many things that could cure depression.

The best thing to do is to take the meds needed to mitigate the symptoms and hope is it not too long or chronic.
Some philosophies could be useful to help you to cope but if you are talking about medical depression then it's very largely a medical problem.

Could stoicism cure chronic appendicitis?

Speaking from personal experience
No
In fact it probably makes it worse

Yeah, you are making the argument that depression is purely mechanistic. But could you concede that certain faulty belief structures could trigger depression, and that changing said belief structures could mechanistically cure depression?

Why

No, but it can help you hide your depression until one day you kill yourself and everybody is surprised because you didn't seem particularly depressed.

Because instead of going out and making friends l try to do things alone

Therapy helped me. There were some problems in my way of thinking that I didn't even really acknowledge, and experiences I had buried. Stoicism was just a symptom of the depression.

If it gives you meaning and purpose, then yes. But don't punish yourself too hard it you give into urges and fail.

Also: Therapy. Exercise. Get sunlight. Smile. Set small goals as well as big goals and work towards them everyday. Reward yourself for completing them. Medication, if none of that works.

Yes, but I would say pessimism works better. I recommend Schopenhauer, the Gnostics, and Buddhism (without the aesthetics, tradition, etc, just the raw principles).

I would be interested in hearing more about why you think this.

stoicism could be quite effective at fighting todays world full of stimulations and distractions that prevents us from seeing the fundamental cores of main problems that ordinary man fights day to day, but thats just my opinion
I believe that sometimes less is more

Well at least he has some leafy greens

In a way, yes. The whole point of stoicism is teaching the masses to be submissive and accept tyranny as a natural inevitability.

I suppose so.
CBT is a watered down version of Stoicism for the masses and it is effective in combating depression.

I don't think you understand what OP means by stoicism. He means the ancient philosophy.

Retarded post. Many Stoics died due to their opposition to tyrants.

Sure. Mostly worked for me. Just avoid neo-stoicism - whole different animal

the enchridion can. which is a part stoic and mostly esoteric theological surgery and medicine.

if you can stomach writing that's made up almost exclusively of dense, rich proverbs, then i recommend this book. Its a good look at ancient stoicism in a relatively digestable, agreeable light. Its basically self help for depressed intellectuals

I posted that from my phone laying in bed to delay the inevitable day, I never make good posts from there. I rescind that statement, pessimism does not cure depression, the Schopenhauer will-pill has made me more depressed, although more fulfilled. An alternate statement: Gnosticism can be the cure to nihilism. The Gnostic goal of undoing or escaping material reality and uniting with the transcendent is an escape from the pointless irrationality that governs us. It's the only answer I have found to Schopenhauer's predicament.