Martial Arts

What Martial Arts do you recommend Veeky Forums? What are some easy and low impact Martial Arts for beginners?

Muay thai, dutch kickboxing, or boxing in general

Low impact martial arts are for women, and traditional chinese/jap arts are for weebs.

>low impact
why, are you a senior citizen or something?

boxing for quick practical results, if you don't want to get hit in the face you should just start practicing running

MCMAP.

Jiu-Jitsu, UFC 1-8 proved this.

Question. We were doing a training activity last week where you're meant to try and slap each other's shoulders and one of the three novices I trained with scratched my wrist accidentally and I ended up with some bad scrapes on the skin. I'm not sure which one it was because I only noticed them after they started hurting in another training exercise.

I want to tell all three of them to be careful and not to do it again in the future the next time I see them. I also want to ask all three of them to apologise just in case they were the one who scratched me and caused scrapes in my skin.

Would that be too autistic? I don't care about the people I train with since they aren't connected to me. I just feel like they should apologise.

I'm just sick of beginners trying to punch my head during sparring sessions where it's not allowed, slapping me while they're hand is curled in a scratching shape or just simply not listening to the trainer's instructions.

Tl;dr: should I ask all three people I sparred with to apologise for scratching my wrist and causing the scrapes on it in case they were guilty because I'm not sure which one did it.

Sjw propaganda kind of got nailed in my brain from hanging out with pussy friends (wrong crowd desu) in high school.

That's pretty autistic, just let it go.

Are you some kind of faggot? Grow a pair.

probably not, catch it when it happens next time.

I know the logic you guys are coming from because I think the same way sometimes.

But I feel like a pussy for not confronting them about it and 'letting them get away with hurting me'.

This shit hurt for a week and I want to tell them to stop.

Can you explain why it'd be better not to ask them to apologise for someone recovering from autism?

Seen this thread a bunch. Answer is always the same: pick a combat sport. Traditional martial arts just aren't effective enough.

Striking: boxing, kickboxing, muay Thai.
Grappling: judo, jiu-jitsu, wrestling, fucking Sambo if you can find it.

I've been doing martial arts for 18 years. Have my 4th Dan in karate, and a black equivalent in Kung fu, but I moved onto jiu-jitsu and muay Thai and barely keep up with my old styles. Couldn't be happier. The jiu-jitsu community is super chill too, so you'll end up meeting more people and making some friends.

Was impossible to catch because I think the scratching might've came from me blocking then.

Would it be a better mid ground choice to just tell them to be careful of scratching me in the future and not ask for an apology?

If its really that bad a scratch and you're not just a pussy, then you should probably realize your coach is shit because he doesn't step in to tell them they're doing it wrong.

bjj / mauy thai / boxing

everything else is shit

Yes, that's a better choice if you really feel the need to say something.

I'd say traditional arts aren't taught as well as they were in their heyday (they wouldn't exist if they didn't work in the wars and streetfights in their time).

Kung fu was very hurt by the cultural revolution and its propaganda to the point where many thought it was lame, unhealthy or backward and uncool to learn Kung fu. My relatives even thought it made you short because they did 'stretching'.

That explains why modern Kung fu isn't so widespread or properly taught nowadays.

krav maga

I'm having a real hard time believing this guy is serious, is this a copypasta?

Eh, coaches are cool, it's more the autists (I'm a moralfag autist, my uni colleagues are social autists) in my university Muay Thai and boxing clubs don't fucking listen to instruction at all, I get right hooks to the jaw in sparring sessions where the coach says BODYSHOTS ONLY.

I appreciate your patience. Do you mind explaining to me why it'd be a better choice and I wouldn't be a pussy for not asking for an apology? I feel like not asking them to apologise for something they did wrong is cowardly of me because I'm afraid of the social backlash.

No man. I am a 100% serious. Long story short I used to not give a single fuck about anything in high school.

Then I made friends with the wrong crowd at a new school, a group of insecure kids with inferiority complexes and one who had a massive sjw mindset.

That changed the don't give a fuck mentality I had into 'everyone owes me shit for taking advantage of me'.

It's gotten better then it was before. I'm just trying to fix it by changing the logic in my mind.

Honestly I have 10 better things to do at this minute such as brushing my teeth and studying.

The question here is what's your goal?

If you're taking up a martial art it's could be for self improvement or for self defence. One of the best martial arts for self improvement would honestly be something like aikido, tai chi or capoeira. These are probably the most "low impact" as they focus greatly on mobility and fluidity.

If you're taking a more self defence centred approach to this then Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Wing Chun or Combat Sambo are going to be worth looking into. These are not considered low impact though. They'll be preparing you for real life situations that require sparring.

I train krav

Its a feral form of fighting, alot of quick cheap shots and taking advantage of sensitive areas. Defense against weapons and some ground grappling if youre taken down (not anywhere as advanced as BJJ though). Trains disarming and counterattacks.

Classes i go to are pretty fun too, its a very practical fighting form and once youre quick at it you can really fuck an attacker up.

krav maga for self defense sounds like a good class for a 40 year old housewife. but if you're honestly going to kick someone in the nuts and poke his eyes in a fight you deserve to get sucker punched and stomped by a group of people

Youve never been in an unprovoked attack have you. Real attacks more often then not where i live are made by more than 1 person, and they definitely dont have a code of honour for what the plan to do to you.

Cant fend them off one at a time, you have to make them lose interest in the fight very quickly.

But i'll bite, what do you train?

I literally just said that if he doesn't step in to correct them, he's a shit coach. Not that he sucks at fighting and can't demonstrate, but that he can't lead and discipline. If you're a coach and your students don't bother listening to anything at all, you throw them out.

And for your part, warn them to listen to instruction or do the same to them and knock their asses out.

Good point man. I'm too careful of safety to try and hurt people.

Next time I'm physically punishing them if they fuck around with me in sparring.

Why wouldn't apologising be a good choice in your opinion? I feel like it's cowardly of me to not ask for one if they did me wrong because usually the reason I don't ask for apologies is when I'm afraid of the social or verbal backlash.

Here's the best self defense method that will never let you down

Will calling my attacks make them stronger?

>low impact
Good luck with that

If you care about self defense without weapons, then combine BJJ with Muay thai or kickboxing
If it's just for fitness go to a boxing gym that specializes in fitness rather than competing or fighting.

And for those in countries other than USA and Canada?

Also remember where you are, martial arts are part of a responsible Veeky Forums routine. Good way to sneak in a little cardio and be able to fend chad off your gf at the club.

boxing, and I have been in an unprovoked attack.
one heavy punch in the head will knock out or at least knock down an opponent.
I drink a lot and I have been in many fights. I've been punched in the ear from behind and I've fought two guys at once but not once have I fought anyone who tried to kick me in the balls or poke my eyes.

There are many situations when you don't have access to a gun and most of the countries we come from don't allow them.

That's where martial arts come in.

Are you going to shoot during a concert in a crowd of people?

I was pretty fortunate with where I started training. I definitely benefitted from the Kung Fu I learned. Notably, I move really well, and I'm flexible enough to do the splits and pike my head to my knees at 6'4", 215lbs.

But the issue with traditional martial arts, and there are schools that are exceptions, is that most of the training isn't "live", and you spend time practicing a lot of irrelevant techniqies. There isn't enough time spent using your techniques on a fully resisting opponent like in boxing or bjj, which is how someone can really learn the distance, timing, balance, and all the other skills you would use in a real fight. Wushu Sanda or Sanshou would be the closest thing to Kung Fu that does this and it looks like a completely different martial art because tiger claws and crescent kicks are kinda bullshit.

Why does Sanda have the question 'do you have yourself?'

Is it because the training is quite painful sometimes from being chucked all over the place?

My friend used to represent Beijing in Sanda in a university sort of league and told me it was fucking painful.

I live in the assault capital of my country with a large indigenous population. Im not saying your attackers will be going for your eyes or balls, but you better believe if someone jumps me from any angle other then a king hit, im not going to give them the chance to hurt me, i have a physically demanding job i need to go to in the morning.

Old Kungfu definitely had sparring because it was in China's old military training regimens and many generals created Kung fu styles.

I'd say communism damaged it heavily.

I do like how sanda has helped resurge it. Hope the internal arts get he same treatment. They have good ground fighting and grappling.

>And for those in countries other than USA and Canada?
Get a knife then. You shouldn't fight unless your life depends on it. What if you hit him he hits his head and dies? Would've been the same as shooting.

>Are you going to shoot during a concert in a crowd of people?
No Im not going to purposefully shoot into a crowd of people. But if Chad wants to try some shit im going to display my gun. If he continues to engage he will catch a hollow point.

It's kind of hard to shoot him if your gun is being covered by a mass of bodies in a crowd.

However you can always reach out and grab/smack their heads with your hands

Martial arts is for situations when you don't have guns.

In club venues in Australia they have metal detectors, so knowing how to fight is a massive edge.

Watch bas rutten's bar fighting videos. Funny as fuck.

Also, Krav Maga is the crossfit of martial arts. People that do it think it's the best, there are a lot coaches who have zero pedigree for what they're teaching outside of what the learned in their little bubble of the style of training, and while I'm sure a lot of people benefit from it, there are so many better ways to train.

"You've never been in an unprovoked attack".

Christ, you sound like a dweeb. I'm sure practicing groin kicks, hair pulling and disarming people with rubber knives and guns is gonna make you so much more prepared than someone who squares off with someone trying to punch his face in a couple times a week. Or repeatedly wrestles, pins and chokes unconscious a fully resisting person. People that think like this don't know what they're talking about.

fair enough, my country is fairly homogeneous and doesn't have gang problems or anything like that, I guess you're a better judge of what you need to defend yourself than me

but seriously, I consider myself a very fair fighter, even when I did nothing to be attacked in the first place, but if someone kicked my balls in a fight I could see myself not thinking twice before soccer kicking his head after he hits the ground

>Why wouldn't apologising be a good choice in your opinion?
Asking them to apologize just makes you seem like an uptight cunt. Show them a taste of their own medicine and see if they like it.

Now, if you're at Chotchky's and some drunkard stumbles in and insults your wife in front of your children, that's when its A-ok to drop the guy and demand an apology.

You have your preference and i have mine?But turning to insults there buddy, nice tactic.

Coming off a little insecure though. Why dont you just talk about your martial art and why you like it rather then just attacking other peoples suggestions?

This isnt /b/

I'm sure it did, but that was fucking ages ago, and over time everyone has made their own "styles" with fancy little secrets and formalities that detract from just knowing how to keep your hands up and move.

Additionally, it being part of the military training at the time doesn't mean much. I'm in the Canadian Forces, our combatives program is a joke. Not that the techniques they use aren't good, but again, zero live sparring, and I imagine it was the same for them. There's a lot more they would have to focus on rather than unarmed combat, and I doubt they'd have the time to dedicate to really get good at striking or grappling.

Hmm. It's just that I feel like it's letting them get away with hurting me if I don't ask them to apologise. Which is also why I feel like it's a cowardly act to not ask them to apologise.

Then again, they've technically gotten away with it since I didn't even notice the damage caused when they initially scratched me so I didn't get to retaliate.

Retaliation now would be too late and seem petty right?

You're saying I should give them a taste of their own medicine next time they try to pull the same shit right?

It's starting to make sense. Thanks for your patience.

And i get that, trust me ive thought about double dosing each week with an offensive martial art such as kickboxing or muay thai just so i can cover all bases, just have to budget out the $ and time. Ive had to use Krav against a drunk bloke who wanted to go for a random tackle while i was walking along the nightlife strip in my town, escaped the tackle and disengaged easily enough without having to hurt him, he got the idea and apologised before stumbling off. So im pretty happy with how much the training soaked in already.

There were both military drills and live sparring in old fashioned Chinese military .

Military instructors often had to win martial arts tournaments along with weapons performances in order to be considered viable for teaching in the army.

I am surprised that Canadian military doesn't have sparring for close combat.

Nah, I'll talk shit if I want. Especially about stuff I'm confident about, and I'm confident krav maga is a joke, and spreading misinformation is pretty lame brah.

Does asking bullies to apologize solve anything? No, that only makes it worse.

The best advice to live by is if someone oversteps their bounds, you give them one chance to stop. Then if they do it again, you hit them twice as hard.

You know your shit bruh.

And yeah, it's unfortunate. There's a movement right now to make combat sports a sanctioned activity again through bjj and muay Thai. We used to have boxing and wrestling competition in the military but not anymore, likely due to liability. Now everyone plays hockey or soccer, which ironically has a waaaaaay high rate of injury. Hoping to see warrior culture become a thing again through martial arts in the CF.

You should have said something at the time to be effective. Don't bring it up unless it happens again definitely don't demand an apology

Brush your teeth, study and forget about feeling like your needs were ignored. People who aren't you won't care about your needs in life, they're thinking about themselves and if you ask them to care they'll be annoyed and it stirs shit up needlessly. Also floss.

>boxing

enjoy your braindamage fampai

Thanks bruh. I think I'll just tell them to stop and smack them with real power of they fuck around with me. I'm too nice ffs.

I hope to see it too because ball sports are boring to watch and I want more martial arts diversity in the MMA world.

Can you explain to my autistic mind why it wouldn't be a pussy move to not ask for an apology from my point of view? I feel like not confronting people is running away.

Perhaps it could be the feeling that I am owed something makes asking for an apology a pussy move?

Thanks man.

Appreciate the patience guys. I am definitely better now than I was months ago, was even worse years ago.

Still trying to become as ballsy as I was in the early years of junior school when I beat up bullies and stuck up for my friends.

Never make weak friends unless you're there to change them, their mentality takes your mind like a fucking plague, like it has afflicted mine.

You could become more self centered and disrespect others' boundaries. Asking for an apology seems like a feminine thing to do

I know what you mean about having weak friends. Better to have none and brush depressed faggots off than soak in their mediocrity

Only get brain damage if you suck and/or don't know when to quit. But regardless, I find the dutch style combined with boxing head movement to be the best combination.

>Never make weak friends unless you're there to change them, their mentality takes your mind like a fucking plague, like it has afflicted mine.
>having weak friends
TOP KEK

You also don't have to say thank you and express appreciation all the time

You're a faggot

Anything that has regular full contact competition/sparring.

Judo,
Boxing
Muay Thai
Kyokushin
Etc

Question. Does the same logic and reasoning we've all established so far for me remain the same in case the scrapes I have end up becoming scars?

But women in clubs let me literally grab them by the pussy while I make out with them in front of their friends.

How do you wrap yours hands properly?

I go 3x around wrist, 3x around hand, in between the fingers, across the knuckles and across the wrist one last time.

Its 108 inches

Errr centimeters

Either measurement is a short ass wrap. Buy 180s.

Martial arts are for fags
That kung fu ufc shit isn't going to stop me from bashing your head into the floor and crushing your skull with my hands

Evidence the thread has died.

Hope you got whatever info you were lookin for OP.

Time to let the thread die now that shitposters have a whiff of it.

Learning martials arts for the purpose of self defense is dumb and retarded. Its obsolete since the chinese invented gunpowder.

Though its good for fitness but other than that, its retarded

>It's kind of hard to shoot him if your gun is being covered by a mass of bodies in a crowd.
It's kind of hard for him to it you/ stab you if you are being covered by a mass of bodies in a crowd too, what's your point?

choy li fut

I started taking BJJ back in September and really enjoy that. Got stomped in a competition but still a great experience too.

I've found I've managed lifting alongside by following the conjugate barbell method. My MMA gym runs lifting classes so I switched over to those from 5/3/1 (and was doing a Push/Pull right before I began BJJ).

But Boxing, Muay Thai or whatever else is cool. I'm personally not a huge fan of TMA likes TaeKwonDo or Karate though, not enough full resisting training. Judo is pretty beast though.

I personally think grappling arts are more useful such as wrestling, bjj just isnt as intense as wrestling in my opinion

They both have their pros and cons, wrestling is pretty rough, but has no submissions or chokes, BJJ is great for all on the ground, but lacks takedowns and a standing game. Ideally a school that teaches both is ideal. My BJJ coach has a pretty extensive wrestling background so it helps.

/K/ PLS GO

/SP/ GTFO.

They probably didn't even realise they did it you autist, let it go stop being a pussy. They're gonna think you're the weird one in the class if you do that.
Sometimes you get hurt doing martial arts, I had a toenail torn off and carried on because I'm not a bitch

it's good to have grappling in your arsenal but when it comes to fighting more than one person, BJJ is automatically useless no matter how good you are