Causes of Corruption

Does corruption make countries poorer? Or does being poor (due to imperialism or former Communist rule) make countries more corrupt?

how the fuck were they able to get data from north korea but not from some of the african countries?

North Korea at least has a functional government. I'd unironically rather live in poverty in North Korea than live in poverty and constant risk of violent death in some war-torn African shithole.

yes but how did they collect the data

Id rather live in the Congo then the DPRK. At least in the Congo you can constantly rape and pillage shit. But in NK, drop a government newspaper on the ground and your in prison for the rest of your life.

>Does corruption make countries poorer?
yes, and goddamn corruption does troubles to businesses.

Neither. Both corruption and "poorness" are derived from an underdeveloped society. They are usually the result of similar circumstances.

yes corruption leads to wealth gaps.

poverty in general might be a naturally occurring phenom in all societies. it's relation to corruption is not a cause but a part of the overall complex system

>Does corruption make countries poorer? Or does being poor make countries more corrupt?
yes

Exiles in South Korea presumably. Or possibly on the Chinese border.

You can't really survive in a poor country and live well without being corrupt. It's truly a desperate situation.

Only when money moves out of the country south Korea is proof

>corruption perception
>perception

>Denmark
>Not corrupt
RAOFL!

Holy shit, nice work Botswana.

>Does corruption make countries poorer?
>Or does being poor make countries more corrupt?
I'm pretty sure both are true.

Yeah, it's probably like a positive feedback loop. Corruption creates poverty, poverty creates corruption, and the cycle continues until something changes.

>Corruption PERCEPTION Index
Biased as fuck. They contact business leaders and ask them for their very subjective opinions.

This map, meanwhile shows the answers to a simple yes/no question on an anonymous poll: Whether ordinary people have used bribery on public officials in the past 5 years.

The results end up looking very different from OP's pic.

>perceived
Lol, meaningless

>Brazil is less corrupt than Costa Rica
>Argentina is less corrupt than Uruguay

I got a bad feeling about this Scoob.

>the cycle continues until something changes
Well, it reaches an equilibrium (or rather, is at equilibrium until something changes). Both wealth and corruption are influenced by a multitude of factors though, so it's not so simple in reality.

I don't know about that, I'm just saying the CPI is bullshit.

I honestly doubt Canada isn't as corrupt as the states, everything in Canada is run by the mob.

It's not about the people in that country, moran

>They contact business leaders and ask them for their very subjective opinions.
The subjective opinion of business leaders can become a very objective factor in wether or not they invest in that place, and that can be something massively more important, economically, than petty corruption.

Strange... it seems like only whites build non-corrupt countries

hahaha only amerimutts would institutionalize corruption as "lobbying" and believe they're not corrupt

god you mutts are so stupid.

Well, obviously. It's a complex issue that can't be explained with a simple statement, I was just making a generalization.

>Le business leaders care about corruption
>Business leaders are not corrupt themselves!
Yeah right... that's why China has been soaking up modt of the world's FDI for the past three decades...

Poor people makes countries poor

>Saudi Arabia

A ranking of hundreds of nations created by liberals in a Western city is subjective, perhaps?

How do you define corruption? With how intrinsically money and political power are mixed in the US I have a hard time believing that image.

"perception" (you don't)
it's a memechart

It's essentially how much of the countries productive potential goes in pure graft. America has lots of graft, but the economy is so big and strong that even with this it is highly productive. North Korea has lots of mineral wealth and considerable technical know-how, but the country is essentially owned by the Party and very little of the potential productivity goes anywhere but the Party's Swiss bank accounts.

There's a link of course, but the real measure is the bureaucracy, how free of political and corporate control it is, and how well it is funded. Countries with well funded bureaucracies usually need decent levels of wealth, of course, but the degree a countries mechanisms of state are independent of direct control and free to execute their constitutional duties, the less corrupt it is.

corruption is an ambiguous term to begin with

I don't quite get what you're trying to imply here. Business leaders can be corrupt, yet prefer not to suffer from corruption themselves. And corruption is only one factor among many for investment.

>but the degree a countries mechanisms of state are independent of direct control and free to execute their constitutional duties, the less corrupt it is.

>perception
well that's surely accurate and certainly not biased

You bumped this from page 9 to comment that?

>appear to be female