Career Change

I think this is a good place to get career advice because you are all redpilled.

Is there anything better out there than real estate agent? I did the job for a bit but I want to get into computer science.

Is it more money? Is it better?

Those are so different, I wouldn't know how to compare them.

Also, fuck money. You seem to be able to do what you like, so do it.

if youre a real estate agent, comp sci might be a stretch

i have a degree in the shit and i already hate it

Are you going to need more education before you get into CS? That's a huge career swing my man. What do you mean by computer science exactly? Developer, sysadmin, code monkey?

>I want to get into computer science

Good luck competing with pajeets that are complete autists with +190 IQ and that work for 5x less than you. The only way to make it in programming is if you have a professional portfolio since you were 15-16.

I've done a lot of python. What should I expect in college if I take computer science?

I don't think there's that much money in real estate. You have to get into commercial real estate or sell mansions and stuff. It's just a headache.

More efficient ways to make money. If you don't sell, you don't get paid. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I could get a cushy job as a software engineer and then maybe open a startup.

Not true. You just have to be a bit of an autist yourself//actually apply yourself.

I've always been interested in computers and stuff. Real estate is too much stress for not enough money.

I want to be a software engineer or developer.

I don't know if you're being serious.

youre going to be under so much more stress as a developer

thought selling a house sucks?

try building the house and selling it to someone who doesnt know how it works

>python

Ok, lets get some things straight here. Modern startups that pay like +100k per year don't hire Veeky Forums autists that solely code in python,c++, COBALT etc. They want people that know to code with niche platforms like Node.JS, NPM, AWS, Ruby On Rails, Meteor.JS, Ionic framework and advanced UX/UI front-end. For the backend, they usually hire some pajeet or eastern european autist.

Speak for yourself, my developer job is cake

Just look for a job for a smaller or less demanding company with a basic but profitable product

You will be slave driven at a place like Amazon or many start ups but there are a plethora of comfy dev jobs with all of these IT departments

That's why I'm going to go back to school for computer science. I mean unless there is something else that I can do?

I want to make money to support us, baby. Please don't be angry.

A start up paying 100k is going to want you to give it as well as take it on all ends

But really you'd have to be """""""""full stack"""""""""""

>you are all redpilled

Most of the people here are fucking NEETs using mommy's credit card to buy shitcoins and making no money from it.

programming is one of the most redpilled jobs out there. Great pay and unlike many other jobs there is essentially no skill ceiling. I transitioned from healthcare because there was too much bureaucracy, hardly any skill involved in the field i was in, and too many women (lots of women in your field means there aren't any real skills involved and being good at sucking dick is the only thing that matters). Learn on youtube, everything is there, fuck college.

also this desu, it can be very stressful because it can be a big responsibility.

It's that kind of cynicism that makes this place more useful than Plebbit

>just go major in what you love honey :3

> niche platforms like Node.JS, NPM, AWS, Ruby On Rails

These are not niche platforms lol. They're the goddamn standard.

Also, OP - Python can be useful in dev jobs, particularly those in the machine learning space. Best bet is to diversify your languages though. Spend a bit of time learning some of each. Start a couple of open source projects to practice your skills and build a bit of a portfolio that you can take into a job.

If you have a full stack Node/React project that's actively being developed, it'll go a long way in an interview as you can talk about some of the challenges you faced and how you worked through them.

Don't bother with that shit - teach yourself. Find an employer that respects people that teach themselves.

I got into the industry after quitting high school, now have more than 10 years experience in the field. No industry certs, no degree, just experience. Good employers drool over experience, and you filter out the shit places that only care about what you've got on paper.

nah just don't fall for the "learn muh C++, Python, COBALT, Haskell" meme. Most modern startups have web app products and/or phone apps. Learn to code Node.js/Ruby on Rails and Front-End components. You will also need to learn how to design a good UI/UX for the web apps that you are going to develop.

computer science does not require degree, 80% of high earners in that profession are self taught atm

when choosing a job n1. is to NO COMMUTE or 5min commute at max. after 5min each 1min you should earn 1k more to make it worth while

real estate agents are gonna face hard times, in usa you have elected bearish reversal on real estate inflation adjusted it is going down and long. europe too real state is turning down

I thought that was a meme.

So they will make you work 90 hour weeks?

Where did you get a job, senpai? What place hired you without a degree and only youtube videos? Not trying to be a dick

I love this meme. Good self taught engineers are a rare breed, by definition most people who skipped school are lazy, unprincipled pieces of shit.

The good self taught programmers are diligent by nature, that's why they succeed, don't spread the lie that it's better to not take formal education.

It's like the "bill gates wuz a dropout" cliche.

The thing is that while educated programmers were waisting 3-4 year only studying how to code, while self-taught people already may have completed several professional projects in that timeframe. If the employer has to choose between a Uni graduate with literally 0 projects in his portfolio and someone that is self-taught that has a portfolio with 5+ projects, he is instantly going to choose the self-taught guy. Employers LITERALLY don't give a flying fuck about your degree, they only care about your portfolio/experience.

What horrid school doesn't have you do 25+ projects over the course of a college career?

I'm not talking about Cousinfuck Community College.

A good education entails comprehensive learning, group work, and vetted achievement an employer can review.

> Good self taught engineers

again we are talking programmers here. best are self taught since early childhood, you dont even have classes for the languages required atm in the field

Companies don't give a shit about your "Hello World" project that you coded in the CS class. They want you to have to build a REAL product for a REAL business.

Ah, so 0.01% of the employed coding population

The ones coding since toddler

I did that several times, at a merely above average state school. You have no knowledge whatsoever regarding this topic.

You aren't even going to get a call back from a Big 4 company without a degree unless your mom is fucking an executive or you've built your own lucrative ecommerce platform

Well i hope your hello world degree pays off. I dont know what you mean big 4 but google and tesla just announced they dont require degrees anymore at all, just an example.

OP here. I’m confused. I don’t need a degree? Well where can I even learn this stuff from? All the online stuff is so shallow and only covers the basics.

>you dont even have classes for the languages required atm in the field
you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

haha what the fuck
this screenshot is just "look at me I'm good at computer guize!!1"
>not good at computer

you obviously do. much more fast pace field than any other

Google Amazon Microsoft Facebook

not fucking Tesla

I never said it was a technical requirement, it's a practical one. Or you could be a wonder kid but then again why even mention the unicorn self taught programmer who's gifted to boot and has an ambitious resume? That doesn't apply to almost anyone in this discussion.

Do something amazing or get your degree

I have a bachelor's and got a job in NYC. Your best bets are big tech hubs. No one is going to hire you because you watched youtube videos, they will hire you if you can prove you can do the job, and that's done by having finished products you can demo and code they can review. Youtube is the cheapest and fastest way to learn but you need discipline

look at classes on lynda.com and MIT OpenCourseWare/edX. there are other good learning platforms but I don't have experience with them

Even if you coded an advanced neural network that uses genetic algorithms for accurate predictions, at your so-called state school, employers would still not give a fuck. Employers, ONLY care about real-world experience and impressive portfolio. All these recent CS graduates think that once they turn 24 and have their CS degree they can easily get a $100k job at a silicon valley startup. But the ACTUAL good programmers started working professionally at 15-16 and since then built a portfolio of professional products through the years.

Not as much as people think. Humans can't move quickly, businesses less so. Most banks use legacy code that is 50 years old on their back end. A majority of companies maintain code bases that are decades old. The fruity new JavaScript shit you hear about is surface level.

The bread and butter is still Java/C#/C+++/Javascript

Ruby and Python are established new additions

also this. yeah you can learn shit on lynda and ocw/edX/youtube, but you need to actually apply it very well in order to be looked at during a job search if you don't have a degree.

>niche platforms

ok, you have no idea what you're talking about.

i dont need degrees i already have one in other fields. secondly i dont need job nor money. but dont get upset if you are told degrees are quite worthless in general, even more if you have to pay to get one. you are setting yourself in big trouble even with engineering degrees if you get in debt.

most programmers know other programmers. that makes degrees even less worth it. best companies in pay and how fun it is are small companies anyway. and absolute highest earners are freelancers 1-2 man software companies atm

this isn't true, i started coding freshman year and now have a masters in cs and work at one of the 'big' companies. granted, i went to mit, but my portfolio was solely school projects and here i am.

with tech, usually you just need to score the interview, which is based on soft shit and you having a degree or not, and destroy the technical interview. as long as you kill whatever problem they throw at you, you will get the job. doesn't mean its easy, but it is simple.

If you don't have a degree, for most well paying positions, your resume will go in the trash. This is just the first hurdle buddy. So you get past phase 1, then they start looking at your experience. Projects, internships, etc.

What I'm saying is if you don't have a degree it doesn't matter, you're going into the trash at most places. Not impossible to score a good job but it's going to take a lot of work in the job hunt and you will have to really prove yourself to whoever gives you a chance.

You're speaking from a position of idealism that has no basis in reality. Employers are glutted with job applications. Your lack of a degree is a big fat stain.

I'm not upset. You are simply wrong. You have no idea about what you're saying. I work in this industry, I know how dick the applicant screening process is.

If the company you apply to actually prefers a degree over experience, then you don't want to work there. Only some old-legacy software companies, where the HR people are 50+ old, care about degrees.

I'm self taught and work for a very large company, i make 120k+ as a developer. All of my coworkers have CS degrees and some of them are completely incompetent others are decent.

devbros confirmed

OP you absolutely want comp sci. Like others have said, the most badass route is to self-teach, and just do projects that interest you.

If you can’t, like me, go to college. There’s not a whole lot worth going to college for nowadays but if you really are dedicated to a career change, and you truly love computers not just for the utility or to be a normie bro coder and make bank for writing sloppy scripts all day - but rather, to explore the potential of what computing can do simply because you think it’s so fucking cool. Then it’s worth it to invest your time & money into a discipline that will teach you the occult ways of the programmer, manipulating data structures, creating beautiful user interfaces, and ultimately crafting electronic augments to the human body and mind that let us unlock and expand our own limitless power as thinking, calculating beings.

Obviously memeing a bit but take it from me. I got my BS in electrical engineering in May; still looking for a job because I discovered if I didn’t want to work in a power plant, as an ever-ambiguous “project engineer” or other blue-collar quasi-trade job, you pretty much unironically have to know programming.

I honestly kind of wish I would’ve just done comp sci, or at least computer engineering from the start. The world is all software. There’s just so much more opportunity in the realm of code than that of actual physical hardware & products.

That said, I’m actually in the process of interviewing for a somewhat established startup in Silicon Valley right now. Had a good phone interview but now they’re giving me one of those online “coding aptitude tests”, which although I do have a decent bit of programming experience from school classes in Java and python from a bittrex trading bot I’ve been toying with; idk if I’m going to get screened out if the online test is hard and I can’t reason through it well.

It does go to show however, that even with a novice level of understanding & skill at this shit you can get a job. Programming is the career of the future, probably everyone will know how to do it to some extent once we have C-3PO style ubiquitous robots and open-source APIs governing more of the physical systems we use every day.

Start coding for open source cryptocoin projects. Then they start paying you in their coin and you can live digital nomad style.

I earn $ 6000 a month and it's literally college level html, css and some javascript.

I have no degree. Just show up, fix some issues and try to be active on their slack.

I'm a computer programmer if you have any questions feel free to ask. My first tip would be, don't go to college for CS because it's piss easy.

This is partially true, but a lot of companies are being forced to hire more locals because India's wages have risen a lot. It's becoming less desirable to hire poos, especially due to the timezone changes and all the other shit that comes tied with hiring a poo. Also poos aren't even that good at tech, lots of them are dumb and overhype their portfolio/skills A LOT.

WEB DEVELOPMENT is much easy to self-teach with no degree than software development

software development with no degree is Extreme Difficulty. also software development is just harder than webdev.

>Is it more money?
Yes
Is it better?
Depends. Do you enjoy working with all autistic spazzed out men and nothing else? Well maybe a female project manager here or there. Do you enjoy doing tedious shit all day every day? If you do, then computer science is a good career path for you.

Personally I like it, although staring at your monitor writing code 8 hours a day with your headphones does get old after a while.

Nah brah. Getting a job as a programmer is pretty damn easy. Like, really fucking easy. In fact half the "programmers" I've worked with didn't even have comp sci degrees. Sometimes not even a technical degree. Although that's more in front-end land.

No degree here. Graduated highschool with 1.9 gpa and became a master on the phones. Cold called the fuck when i was 19 and fast forward became first sales rep at start up tech company and advanced to sr account exec. 80k per year aint a million but its ok for 27 years old.

No disrepect to any career but your mouthbox is everything. It will get you paid, it can get you laid.

Even if you think you cant do it, go out there and learn, just try and keep trying to be better AND ACT AS YOUR FAVORITE movie character when talking to your customer. Customers is what pays your bills.

Make a shit VR game with unreal engine or Unity engine.
>Steam early access
>profit?

You are wrong. Your face, speaking skills, smile and your ability to interact with a positive attitude is much more important.

I’d hire someone that smiles and can make me smile by showing they have a positive attitude when they are at work and most importantly, has an outside life and a significant other is a plus.

I would have my doubts if someone has their degree as their main accomplishment.

A degree can help but personality over a degree is true.

Lol. Vr dreams

right on the mark. zuckerberg and gates had like 1598/1600 SAT scores. you wanna drop out of uni and be successful?

be the guy that got into harvard with a 99.99% entrance score...

I didnt go to college yet i can afford to send my parents 1500 and my girlfriends parents 500 per month. You dont need to be rich. Just surround yourself with you love and show that you care. That whole no college vs college is just a mirage.

One day you will realize you took life way too serious.

SALT
A
L
T

LETS GO QUANTUM NIGGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!