Will Christians ever recover Hagia Sophia? She looks at us across the Bosphorus, like a kidnapped maiden in chains...

Will Christians ever recover Hagia Sophia? She looks at us across the Bosphorus, like a kidnapped maiden in chains, longing to be rescued.

No Europeans have abandoned Christianity

eh, it looks like a spaceship. They can keep it

I hope Erdogan turns it into a gunpowder shed again desu

Honestly minarets make it look more aesthetic

this tbqh

It's now a museum, you autistic idiot.

Ironically, it was Christians who caused the fall of Constantinople.

>Sultan Mehmet II allowed his troops and his entourage three full days of unbridled pillage and looting in the city shortly after it was captured. Once the three days passed, he would then claim its remaining contents for himself.

>Hagia Sophia was not exempted from the pillage and looting and specifically became its focal point as the invaders believed it to contain the greatest treasures and valuables of the city. Shortly after Constantinople's defenses collapsed and the Ottoman troops entered the city victoriously, the pillagers and looters made their way to the Hagia Sophia and battered down its doors before storming in. All throughout the period of the siege of Constantinople, the trapped worshippers of the city participated in the Divine Liturgy and the Prayer of the Hours at the Hagia Sophia and the church formed a safe-haven and a refuge for many of those who were unable to contribute to the city's defense, which comprised women, children, the elderly and the sick and the wounded. Being hopelessly trapped in the church, the many congregants and yet more refugees inside became spoils-of-war to be divided amongst the triumphant invaders. The building was significantly desecrated and looted to a large extent, with the helpless occupants who sought shelter within the church being either enslaved, physically and sexually violated or simply slaughtered.

>While most of the elderly and the infirm/wounded and sick were killed, a vast number of women and girls were raped and the remainder (mainly teenage males and young boys) were chained up and sold off into slavery. The church's priests and religious personnel continued to perform Christian rites, prayers and ceremonies until finally being forced to stop by the invaders. When Sultan Mehmet II and his accompanying entourage entered the church, he insisted that it should be converted into a mosque at once.

y tho?

It's just a freaking museum.

>Le western solidarity with Byzantium,
When will this meme end?

When it was still around, the Byzantines were victimized by Western Europeans as much as Muslim invaders. Now it's gone and you bitch about it? Fucking Lmao.

Nothing here that isn't part and parcel of warfare.

The only thing the Byzantines were victimized by was their own ineptness.

The last chance was the Crimean war.

It's in the process of being converted into a mosque again, apparently because the Turkish government was "offended" by the Pope recognizing the Armenian genocide.

>Empire lasts over a thousand years
>Inept

>Every single moment of it is spent in decline.
If they did a China and bounced back after every disaster, I would say they're competent.

But nope.

Empire lasts over a thousand years. Becomes decadent, corrupt, incapable and lame in its' sunset, collapses without a trace.

They regained the control of almost all territory that once was the Western Roman Empire at one point. Those were hardly moments spent in decline.

Given the circunstances, it's a miracle the Byzantines lasted that long. One can only assume they were nothing if not competent.

>Survived the Huns
>Survived the Vandals
>Survived the Ostrogoths
>Survived the fall of the WRE
>Survived the Saracens
>Survived the Mongols
>Survived the Golden Horde
>Survived the Black Death
>Held off the Muslims for more than a thousand years
>Stabbed in the back by Venetian scum
>Not competent
End yourself

>Survived the Saracens.
I wont call losing bits and pieces of your empire to every Muslim advance "Surviving."

The Venetians kicked the corpse by that point.

This is how we know that you're a brainlet.

What? You gonna cite the example of them losing their meme city to Crusaders and the Nicene Byzantines reclaiming it?

Lfuckingmao, when the Nicenes reclaimed it from the Latin Empire, numerous Despotates were effectively autonomous and didn't give a shit about the emperor.

Are we supposed to be amazed by this decline or something?

I think he calls you a brainlet because you treat various Chinese dynasties kingdoms and empires as a same thing

They are the same class of things - a continuous Chinese state and Chinese civilization, while the Roman state and Roman civilization ended in 1453.

>continuous Chinese state

This.
Why curse the Turks while for this while praising the Vikings and crusaders at the same time

No one really gives a fuck about Christianity outside of the US and the Middle East, ironically

No, Byzantium will be recovered by a post-christian people versed in the Classics. They will have no interest in hebrew mythology and will probably just use the building for a secular purpose or rededicate it to divine Athena.

>Dynasties are separate nations.
I mean, you'd be right in the case of the Yuan Mongols, who larped as both a Khaganate and a Chinese Dynasty.

But a big part of claiming the Mandate of Heaven is the continuity of Tianxia so yes, it is a continuous state.

I for one, beign butthurt about Turks, curse both the crusaders and the Vikings, for they literally acted similar. I would say the Turks were more humane than Vikings and many would agree if they have read about exactly what the vikings did.

And I call him a brainlet for not understanding the difference between Chao (Dynasty) and Tianxia (All Under Heaven, i.e. the Realm).

Besides unlike what happened in Europe where you had multiple spastics claiming to be "sucessor to Rome" the Mandate is understood as the posession of only one ruling power and so successive dynasties finished off competing claimants.

Ichallah brother

>almost all the territory
Lol wut at their greatest extent they didn’t even threaten France Spain or the greater portion of ME/NA, not to mention Britain.
If almost reclaiming all the western Roman territory constitutes about 12% of it, sure they did.

>One can only assume they were nothing if not competent.
It's a simple matter, everything was ok/awesome or tolerable up until the fucking Komnenoi came along, and at some point in their dynasty, something happened and everything started declinging rapidly. I don't really remember my history adequately though but I do remember feeling really pissed at that fucking family for some reason.

>She looks at us across the Bosphorus

Isn't old Konstantinople on European side?

Is it sad that the desecration and looting offended me more than the fate of the citizens? Like I usually feel more when ISIS destroys archeological sites vs regular people. I don't want to feel this way and the latter I still find offensive but something about destroying ancient or historical things make me rage.

It is. Op is a faggot.

You armenian or something?

I doubt the non european christians will ever recover it no but maybe the people on the same side of the Bosphorus as she could -

PART AND PARCEL